As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Quake 3 turns 10 today.

FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
Normally celebrating anniversaries of games is a slightly dumb, but in this case I think an exception should be made. Quake 3 has been around for 10 years, and well It's goddamn Quake 3.

Quake-III-Arena-logo.png

Personally, this was the only game I played online for a solid three-year span. It was a time where you didn't have to worry about sprint buttons, going prone, leaning, alt-fire, or any other feature that gets in the way of killing dudes. The only thing that mattered was how well you could strafe jump and aim. It was honestly the first rock-solid online FPS.

Anyway, feel free to share your Q3 memories.

Cvcwu.jpg
Fiziks on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whatever happened to QuakeLive? I haven't really heard any talk or mention of it in quite some time.

Lucascraft on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake 3 was hardcore, though I felt like aimbots became very prevelant.

I hope the XBLA version will be awesome.
    I think QuakeLive is up online. I tried playing it for a bit but don't game on PC much.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I, for some reason, would always end up in the top places with my 56k connection. Either people were really bad, or I was that good.

Good 'ol days.

Satsumomo on
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Quakelive has better bots, graphics etc.

Quake3 is still fun. I like the speed of the game.

FingerSlut on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake 3? Bah, wake me up with UT gets its anniversary. :P

Seriously though, Q3A's distillation of pure deathmatch is pretty much unrivaled. It's kind of a shame that this generation of gamers feel that they've "outgrown" such things and need something "sophisticated" or whatever. Blah, eff that.

brb, imma play a few rounds of Quake Live to remember how much I sucked.

(oh, goddamn? 10 years? I remember when this comic was fucking new. Christ, I feel old.)

Zxerol on
    edited December 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I, for some reason, would always end up in the top places with my 56k connection. Either people were really bad, or I was that good.

Good 'ol days.

I had the same thing with UT.
    I'd inexplicably do very very well at UT but not Q3. Such is life.

Q3 on LAN though, I was always first.
    My friends probably suck.

Stigma on
  • Andrew RyanAndrew Ryan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played Quake 2 for at least 4 years after Quake 3's release.

Andrew Ryan on
    Mbt2W.gifbLHcF.gifMbt2W.gifbLHcF.gif
    naknaknaknaknak
    edited December 2009
    I played more Q2 than Q3. I remember the days when people with ping under 250 were called "LPBs" or Low Ping Bastards. I remember when the Hyperblaster was called the Hyper-Lagger because it destroyed everyone's framerate.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I played more Q2 than Q3. I remember the days when people with ping under 250 were called "LPBs" or Low Ping Bastards. I remember when the Hyperblaster was called the Hyper-Lagger because it destroyed everyone's framerate.

This post is making me warm and fuzzy inside.

Stigma on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fiziks wrote: »
    It was honestly the first rock-solid online FPS..
    TRIBES! ;-)

Quake 3 does have an amazing engine, though. Open sourcing it did all sorts of great things for free FPS games.

Frem on
    edited December 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Fiziks wrote: »
    It was honestly the first rock-solid online FPS..
    TRIBES! ;-)

Quake 3 does have an amazing engine, though. Open sourcing it did all sorts of great things for free FPS games.

Honestly Half Life was pretty rock solid. Unless that memory is tainted by patch improvements or something.

Stigma on
    edited December 2009
    Half-Life uses a modified Quake 2 engine.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2009
    Yes but it's netcode seemed better somehow.

I think I remember something being implemented in a patch that greatly improved it. Lag compensation code.
    Original CS is still one of the best online experiences I've ever had.

Stigma on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Q3 rocket arena was so much fun. It's exactly how I enjoy my fps. Short matches and no respawn.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm actually modding Quake 2 as a class assignment right now.

The source code is a mix of absolute genius and coding horror.

JONJONAUG on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whatever happened to QuakeLive? I haven't really heard any talk or mention of it in quite some time.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=90883

Anyway, Quake 3 is a wonderful game. I know a lot of people stuck to Quake 2, hell, some stuck to QuakeWorld, but Quake 3 was actually better than Quake 2 in every way except default maps and Rocket Arena. Rocket Arena 2 was amazing, RA3 was an abomination.

I have a lot of fond memories and I still play now and then. QuakeLive is alright, but I can't do without my mods. If I wasn't using a wireless card then I'd be playing Threewave every day.

I made a frag video once. All the links are dead now and the only copy is one I burnt to a VCD. I should go back and re-edit it, I still have a lot of the original demos.

Also, about the online: Quake 3's net setting were defaulted to horrible 56k standards. The netcode was decent, good when it came out, but not great. Mods fixed that, but you still needed to know what you were doing to tweak things right.

QuakeLive has no timenudge! Fuck that.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Half-Life uses a modified Quake 1 engine.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    korodullin wrote: »

A little of both actually. There's more code taken from the Quake 1 engine but it also uses some new stuff and optimizations from the Quake 2 code.

JONJONAUG on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

A little of both actually. There's more code taken from the Quake 1 engine but it also uses some new stuff and optimizations from the Quake 2 code.

It's based mostly on Quake 1, (though they eventually gutted like 70% of the engine for their own code.) They added a few things from Quakeworld and Quake 2, but most of the enhancements and bug fixes they had already done in-house with their own codebase.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, this makes me feel older than dirt.

I mean, I was always more of an Unreal fan, but I did play and love me some Q3 back in the day.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The one thing I always thought was cool was DeFrag. It pretty much turned Q3 into a platformer. Decent for solo play, but hilariously awesome with a few friends.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »

It's based mostly on Quake 1, (though they eventually gutted like 70% of the engine for their own code.) They added a few things from Quakeworld and Quake 2, but most of the enhancements and bug fixes they had already done in-house with their own codebase.

I always thought it was funny when
    There are still bits of early Quake code in Half-Life 2.

Quake III is a blast. My roomates and I used to run LAN nights all the time after it came out. One of us had a Dreamcast and ran his own DC Q3 server as well.

Quake Live is fun, but if I remember right, they removed the gibs, which is lame. Blasting someone's corpse into a pulpy red mist was like the late 90's version of teabagging for us.

SmokeStacks on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I fondly remember thinking that the Quake 3 engine had replaced the Jedi Knight engine as the...well, engine of choice for games at the time.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune II, Jedi Knight II, COD...lot of games. I remember being shocked how much the effects of RTCW looked like Quake III.

Synthesis on
  • Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played Quake 2 for at least 4 years after Quake 3's release.

Ah, Quake 2 Arena. Oh, how I miss you.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I fondly remember thinking that the Quake 3 engine had replaced the Jedi Knight engine as the...well, engine of choice for games at the time.

...What?

Since when was Jedi Knight running on an "engine of choice?" As far as I can tell, the Sith engine was only ever used by Lucasarts, and even then they only used it for 3 games and an expansion.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »

...What?

Since when was Jedi Knight running on an "engine of choice?" As far as I can tell, the Sith engine was only ever used by Lucasarts, and even then they only used it for 3 games and an expansion.

In retrospect, I must have been thinking of something else. Apparently, the Sith Engine was just used for the expansion and influenced the Grim Fandango engine. Nevermind then!

Synthesis on
    edited December 2009
    Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy were both based on the Q3 engine. Perhaps that's what you were thinking of?

Also, the Star Trek Elite Force games use the Q3 engine.

Lucascraft on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A lot of games used the Q3 engine. Hell, I think CoD4 was running of some heavily modified Q3 engine, all the console commands remained the same.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake 3 engine (or id Tech 3, if you wanna go with the more austere retronym) was like the UE3 of the day. Hell, the wiki article for it says it's used for a commercial game released in 2009. Probably modified as all hell, I'm sure. One of these days, I'm going to download the source and fuck around with it, and I'll pretend I'm an ultralame Carmack.

Zxerol on
    edited December 2009
    It still looks nice to me. Quake 3 had such a clean visual style, which you only noticed during demo captures when you turned everything up to max. The rest of the time it was picmip 5 and cranked up mapoverbrightbits.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had no idea the 10th birthday was coming up when I picked QL up 2 days ago. Still one of the greatest shooters available - certainly nothing this generation can stand up to it.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Whoah, what a coincidence. I just reinstalled Quake 3 on my relatively new PC yesterday!

So question:

Is there any easy way to crank up the graphics on this?

For one, I had to use a fucking console command to get it up to 1680x1050 resolution, and I'm not even sure it worked.

Second, there's no option to enable Anti Aliasing or Anisotropic filtering that i can see.

Third, well, here's another question:

Most older, "classic" PC games, usually with mod communities, some people will get together and create newer "High-res" texture packs. I've seen it for tons of older games. Is there such a thing for Quake 3? That would be awesome if there is.

slash000 on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Third, well, here's another question:

Most older, "classic" PC games, usually with mod communities, some people will get together and create newer "High-res" texture packs. I've seen it for tons of older games. Is there such a thing for Quake 3? That would be awesome if there is.
    I (finally) stopped playing Q3 a year or so ago, I played since release and didn't have the heart to uninstall it. As far as I know there's never been a high-res pack for Q3, but then again I still think the game looks great in it's own way.

So many hours of my life went on this game, and I don't consider any of them wasted. <3

815165 on
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stigma wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh wait. You're serious?

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    edited December 2009
    16adstg.jpg

This is what it looks like when I play.

Anyway, just cranking all the values up should give you the best look for the most part. Just use the console to double check your r_picmip (0 is highest quality) and r_subdivisions (as low as possible, 1 being the highest quality).

You can also check cg_brasstime (put that up)

cg_marks (impact marks on walls and such, turn it on)

cg_shadows (2 is the highest quality)

com_hunkmegs (this one is tricky, generally you wanted it to be about half of your RAM, but that was back when 256 RAM really good. Crank it to at least 170),

Now this last one is tricky and very subjective. You want to adjust your r_gamma and r_mapoverbrightbits. Gamma is just general screen brightness, but mapoverbrightbits actually makes the game brighter and crisper. I crank mine way up, to about 7, which is much too high for most people but it makes things really STAND OUT. I'd say try 3, then adjust your gamma up or down (you can go below one, e.g. r_gamma .52).

If you're trying to adjust your gamma with r_gamma and it's not working then check r_ignorehwgamma and set it to 1.

Page- on
    stream
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ^88fps?

What are you running that on, a toaster?

SmokeStacks on
    edited December 2009
    Not far from that. It's a huge pain in the ass since it wrecks my rj scripts (you need steady 125 for those). Another reason I don't play that often anymore.

Page- on
    stream
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hahaha, people who turn everything down like that are faggots with shitty computers.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    jaziek wrote: »
    Stigma wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh wait. You're serious?

serioussam2.jpg

Seriously.

Has it really been this long, Quake III? I remember the stir you caused with the Dreamcast community and really sparked the Mouse/Keyboard over Controller debate. And delicious gibs. I used to play on QuakeLive during the closed beta but it messes with my Vista and changes the theme to basic and sometimes it won't let me change it back until I restart. Silly problems, why can't you just let me frag in peace(es?)

CheesecakeRecipe on
    edited December 2009
    Most good players turn everything down regardless. Before my comp crashed and burned and I could have a steady 200 fps I still used that config. It's not for performance, because the truth is that the frames I save are minimal. It's about having a clean and unobstructed visual field.

Page- on
    stream