As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day

13»

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    First Christmas in several years without my terrible cunt of an ex-girlfriend: Fuck yes.

TL DR on
  • iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MKR wrote: »
    Christmas is all about shiny things, colorful lights, good music, and good food.

Who could hate it? Screw religious origins.

Christmas has its origins in pagan fertility rites and superstitions.

religious folk, especially early catholics decided to accommodate the old traditions to make it easier to get converts.

iamthepieman on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    First Christmas in several years without my terrible cunt of an ex-girlfriend: Fuck yes.

Why would you have invited a terrible cunt of an ex-girlfriend to previous Christmases?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I got TIE Fighter for Christmas. That was a good year.

When my sister and I were young, my father would talk buddies of his into calling our house at the beginning of December, pretending to be Santa Claus himself. They'd ask whether we'd been good and double-check what we wanted to receive that year.

The first time, we of course assumed that it was my dad playing a trick on us when - surprise! - he walked into the room while we were on the phone with Santa.

Those were good times.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Christmas is all about shiny things, colorful lights, good music, and good food.

religious folk, especially early catholics decided to accommodate the old traditions to make it easier to get converts.

this is why my mother stopped celebrating christmas. it amuses me

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    how am I supposed to namedrop Super Mash Bros if the albums thread is already closed

Seta 3000 on
    edited December 2009
    Mysst wrote: »

A vast majority of the stuff the general population associates with Christmas has no roots in Christianity at all.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »

A vast majority of the stuff the general population associates with Christmas has no roots in Christianity at all.

yeah, I knew it but apparently she was shocked and appalled

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This is news to anybody?

Centipede Damascus on
    edited December 2009
    This is news to anybody?

Most Christians.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I find that hard to believe. I mean, they teach this stuff in High School.

Centipede Damascus on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mysst wasn't it your mom who wouldn't let you play with ninja turtles because Cowabunga was a devil word or something?

Langly on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Geek wrote: »

Why would you have invited a terrible cunt of an ex-girlfriend to previous Christmases?

Because at the time she was my terrible cunt of a fiancee.

TL DR on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Story time!

Last xmas, me, my SO, and one of our roomies (the other 2 had left before it got really bad) were snowed in for the holidays. We decided that despite not being able to see our families, we were gonna have a merry fucking xmas.

It was decided that we should do a gift exchange, so to the liquor store we went. Each got a fifth of their choosing and then we drew names. We then got the Grinch queued up via On Demand and proceeded to drink. Eventually, my SO and roomie got a lil competitive with their drinking. Me, forgetting that I am a lightweight, joined them.

2/3 ish through the movie, we break for food. Lil smokies. Last thing I recall was the food being almost done. Now, some back story... Up until this point, I had blacked out twice. Both times people tell me that I didn't change much, just that I got a bit more polite. This time was different. I am told I got VERY angry. I think I was just confused and frustrated about getting sick.

That isn't the reason I brought up this story. I tell it today because on that night, I somehow lost my glasses.

Even after Velma-searching the house, I couldn't find my glasses. I had no idea where they went. No one else had seen them, or remembered what I had done with them. Eventually, I give up and make an appointment to get new glasses. This made for an interesting couple of weeks, as things get blurry 4-6 inches from my face.

Of course, a few months after I get my new glasses, my old ones turn up.

skettios on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    how did I miss this thread until now

Zip, that story in the OP is fantastic

TheySlashThem on
  • AxesOfEvilAxesOfEvil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My daughter was born on the 21st (she was a little early), but it has really reinvigrated my Christmas spirit. Christmas is a lot more enjoyable for me with a little kid in the house. I probably haven't had as much fun since I was little.

AxesOfEvil on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Is this where I admit that good christmas music is like an emotional suckerpunch for me, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8b9YSllOo

has made me cry?

Speaking of Christmas and World War I, this has always been something that I thought was pretty great.

Speed Racer on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Is this where I admit that good christmas music is like an emotional suckerpunch for me, and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8b9YSllOo

has made me cry?

Speaking of Christmas and World War I, this has always been something that I thought was pretty great.

I always find this to be incredible. The whole event itself is just so amazing.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's telling that officers on both sides were adamantly against any form of official or unofficial truce being declared, and that after the first year at war it become rare to the point of nonexistence, but if you guys really dig the Christmas Truce there's a book called Silent Night by Stanley Weintraub that is a popular-nonfiction (by which I mean, readable and shortish, as opposed to the honking big tomes I generally collect) account of the events.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN