As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So Quake 3 turns 10 today.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    whhhaaaat? I thought the weapon balance was perfect in Q3. At least while playing rocket area. Every weapon had it's use.

Q3 itself had good balance.

QuakeLive drastically reduced the splash damage of both the rocket launcher and the BFG to the point that you absolutely have to make a direct hit to do anything with either.

Oh, and I think the fact that Quake 3 is still around but no one gives a shit about Unreal Tournament anymore finally puts the nail in the coffin over which arena game was better.

Obviously I always knew it was Q3, but some Plebes just didn't know.

The same people are playing Q3 as they were 10 years ago, the same people who were playing UT99 10 years ago are still playing as well. I don't get what you're trying to say.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    whhhaaaat? I thought the weapon balance was perfect in Q3. At least while playing rocket area. Every weapon had it's use.

QuakeLive drastically reduced the splash damage of both the rocket launcher and the BFG to the point that you absolutely have to make a direct hit to do anything with either.

Oh, and I think the fact that Quake 3 is still around but no one gives a shit about Unreal Tournament anymore finally puts the nail in the coffin over which arena game was better.

I'm so using that from now on.

FingerSlut on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I remember PC Gamer having an article (at least, I think it was PC Gamer, might have been CGW) that explained how to write a script to add a 'zoom' key, to be used with the railgun.

It wasn't cheating! Technically!

Why would you need to add a script for a zoom key when there's already a zoom key in the regular controls? I think the default is middle mouse.

Actually, it might have just made the zoom go further. This was a long time ago, and I never did it myself, so my memory is sketchy.

It might have made the zoom go further, but honestly, the default zoom with the default zoom key goes pretty far as it is. I mean, maybe if you need sniper scope levels of zoom you might do that, but practically speaking that wouldn't help you in a game like Quake III :P

The +zoom command can be changed to whatever via cg_zoomfov, so it's not that.

The advantage of having a custom zoom script is that you can add things like a weapon switch and a crosshair change, but more importantly you can set your sensitivity and it doesn't have the actual zoom effect, which can be disorienting.

Here's an example of a simple custom zoom script:

seta gay "sensitivity 4.5; weapon 7;cg_fov 70;cg_crosshairsize 35;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 5"

This zoom script will switch to the railgun, turn off the weapon in the middle of the screen, change the crosshair to a small dot, and change the sensitivity. But unlike the +zoom command, it's not a press-and-hold. You need to have another cvar that will toggle everything back.

seta ungay "cg_fov 110;cg_crosshairsize 24;sensitivity 8;cg_drawgun 1;cg_drawcrosshair 2"

So all you need to do now is rebind all your weapons:

bind q "weapon 3;vstr ungay"
    bind r "weapon 8;vstr ungay"
    etc.

In this way every time you switch weapons it will go back to the regular fov and settings. It's very useful.

On weapon balance:

Quake 2's weapons were not well balanced. The chaingun is far and away the best weapon in almost every possible situation. It's a hitscan weapon with the highest dps in the game, making it easier to use (at any range) than both the plasma gun and the lightning gun from Quake 3, which both do less damage. Rockets are nearly worthless outside of close range, and the maps are generally more open than Quake 3's, making the chaingun an obvious choice. The railgun was very strong, but with the longer weapon switching time you would die if you got caught with your pants down.

QuakeLive has nerfed the railgun (arguably a good idea) and the lightning gun, while beefing up the shotgun. Everything else is the same. The shotgun buff was a bad idea, especially when they didn't redesign the maps (shotguns are the most abundant weapon in the game, making them one of the strongest is dumb).

Oh, forgot about the rocket splash nerf. I blame it on too much Warsow. Even with the splash nerf it's still better than the what happened to the other weapons. Lightning gun is gimped, rail is gimped. Those were the two main alternatives. If the shotgun wasn't so dumb it would be perfect.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    10 years since Q3 came out?

Fuck I'm old.

The_Scarab on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    I remember PC Gamer having an article (at least, I think it was PC Gamer, might have been CGW) that explained how to write a script to add a 'zoom' key, to be used with the railgun.

It wasn't cheating! Technically!

Why would you need to add a script for a zoom key when there's already a zoom key in the regular controls? I think the default is middle mouse.

Actually, it might have just made the zoom go further. This was a long time ago, and I never did it myself, so my memory is sketchy.

It might have made the zoom go further, but honestly, the default zoom with the default zoom key goes pretty far as it is. I mean, maybe if you need sniper scope levels of zoom you might do that, but practically speaking that wouldn't help you in a game like Quake III :P

The +zoom command can be changed to whatever via cg_zoomfov, so it's not that.

The advantage of having a custom zoom script is that you can add things like a weapon switch and a crosshair change, but more importantly you can set your sensitivity and it doesn't have the actual zoom effect, which can be disorienting.

Here's an example of a simple custom zoom script:

seta gay "sensitivity 4.5; weapon 7;cg_fov 70;cg_crosshairsize 35;cg_drawgun 0;cg_drawcrosshair 5"

This zoom script will switch to the railgun, turn off the weapon in the middle of the screen, change the crosshair to a small dot, and change the sensitivity. But unlike the +zoom command, it's not a press-and-hold. You need to have another cvar that will toggle everything back.

seta ungay "cg_fov 110;cg_crosshairsize 24;sensitivity 8;cg_drawgun 1;cg_drawcrosshair 2"

So all you need to do now is rebind all your weapons:

bind q "weapon 3;vstr ungay"
    bind r "weapon 8;vstr ungay"
    etc.

In this way every time you switch weapons it will go back to the regular fov and settings. It's very useful.

That sounds like it, based on what I remember. Sounds useful to me, Slash. :P

Synthesis on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Fuck I'm old.

I know, right?

I look at shit like this, Half-Life, and Tribes, and I remember that I thought that shit was cutting edge.

Havelock on
    edited December 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Fuck I'm old.

I know, right?

I look at shit like this, Half-Life, and Tribes, and I remember that I thought that shit was cutting edge.

Technically it still is compared to MW2.:lol:

FingerSlut on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

well when he puts it like that...

... it makes a lot of sense!

I never got so into the "competitive scene" that I ever really relied on custom scripts or graphics alterations.

That's not to say I wasn't an avid and competitive player that played for years and still plays occasionally to this day. It's just that when I do, I simply rely on raw skill to win rather than tweaking scripts and settings :P

To be honest, I typically don't zoom at all when using the rail gun and I think there are a lot of great players that don't either.

slash000 on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah I didn't zoom, simply because it wasn't necessary on most maps and really it could get you killed because you can't see guys coming up from your side. You really should have your rail gun out for more than a few seconds.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited December 2009

well when he puts it like that...

... it makes a lot of sense!

I never got so into the "competitive scene" that I ever really relied on custom scripts or graphics alterations.

That's not to say I wasn't an avid and competitive player that played for years and still plays occasionally to this day. It's just that when I do, I simply rely on raw skill to win rather than tweaking scripts and settings :P

To be honest, I typically don't zoom at all when using the rail gun and I think there are a lot of great players that don't either.

I didn't play the game online. :P But I wasn't in the United States, nor did I have a reliable internet connection at the time.

Synthesis on
  • PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Quake III seemed so weak after playing Gloom and Action Quake for the Quake 2 engine.

It was a prettier game with mechanics that just weren't fun (well to me) anymore.

Plus I would have had to upgrade just to play an inferior game.

I always thought Quake III was the last gasp of a dying deathmatch style. In hindsight, I wish I would have given it more of a chance. I miss those fragfests of old.

Pastee on
    edited December 2009
    Quake 3 actually stayed more popular in Europe than in North America.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I played more Q2 than Q3. I remember the days when people with ping under 250 were called "LPBs" or Low Ping Bastards. I remember when the Hyperblaster was called the Hyper-Lagger because it destroyed everyone's framerate.

Back in the days when noobs were newbies and I was a force on microsofts "The Zone" server list thinger and everyone said "GG" after a match, as opposed to "CAMPING FAGGOTT"

Seriously, at what point did "gg" stop being a compliment? It used to mean 'good game', now I always see it used as some sort of insult.

Also, I wish more of today's games would let you rocket jump. I know today's games are all hyper realistic and whatever, but rocket jumping is so much fun.

Fatty McBeardo on
    edited December 2009
    I played more Q2 than Q3. I remember the days when people with ping under 250 were called "LPBs" or Low Ping Bastards. I remember when the Hyperblaster was called the Hyper-Lagger because it destroyed everyone's framerate.

Back in the days when noobs were newbies and I was a force on microsofts "The Zone" server list thinger and everyone said "GG" after a match, as opposed to "CAMPING FAGGOTT"

Seriously, at what point did "gg" stop being a compliment? It used to mean 'good game', now I always see it used as some sort of insult.

Am I the only one who doesn't see it anymore?

I do remember the Zone though--I primarily used it for MechWarrior 4 (the original, without any expansions) though. Fairly polite crowd, if memory serves, though getting into games could be hard.

Synthesis on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Hah, I use it at work to berate people who act stupid.....But in games, sure I'll drop it sincerely after a game...if I dont rage quit, obviously.

Decoy on
    edited December 2009
    Zoom isn't needed, but having a really low zoom fov is easily abusable. It's just hard to miss when your opponent takes up 11/10s of your screen.

That said, I do use a zoom script, but my zoom fov is only like 75, which is 15 degrees below the default fov. It doesn't really zoom that far, so I avoid long ranged rail fights. It's just useful in certain situations, and having that sensitivity switch helps.

Also, I don't aim rails anymore. I am pure rail spam. I just can't be bothered.

Page- on
    stream
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Also, I wish more of today's games would let you rocket jump. I know today's games are all hyper realistic and whatever, but rocket jumping is so much fun.

I'm surprised there isn't perk in MW2 that lets you do it.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

The same people are playing Q3 as they were 10 years ago, the same people who were playing UT99 10 years ago are still playing as well. I don't get what you're trying to say.

Quake III has remained immensely popular. UT99, and the series as a whole, has not.

I remember my dad wanted to buy the family a new computer. We had an old Tandy Win 3.1 and a Mac SE.

We go to a Gateway store and they're running the Quake III demo. We go home with a pimping ass Athlon 550, stacked with 128 megs of RAM, and a pimp ass TNT 2 graphics card.

I used to play with my Spanish II teacher. He'd call the house at like... 3 AM on Saturday mornings looking for me to play.

Great game. Loved it.

Sheep on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FingerSlut wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »

Fuck I'm old.

I know, right?

Technically it still is compared to MW2.:lol:

Shit, I remember getting a Riva TNT card (my first gaming video card ever) and being absolutely shocked and awed by colored lighting and transparency effects.

Darklyre on
    edited December 2009

That's what happens when you kill all the simulators. Seriously, ten years ago, there were still a number of awesome simulators and vibrant communities for simulators that had come out five years beforehand.

Though that's going back even further. EA being Electronic Arts, and being famous for being a published for Jane's Combat Simulators and stuff like that.

Synthesis on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009

You should play some TF2.

Sheep on
    edited December 2009
    I remember John Carmack talking about how great Quake 3 was going to be on a "Geforce 256" because you could use 32-bit color.

mind blowing

As opposed to that Voodoo 3 16-bit bullshit, mirite!?

slash000 on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Woo!

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey, Quake 3 has the same birthday as me...cool!:)

Scotty on
    edited December 2009
    I remember John Carmack talking about how great Quake 3 was going to be on a "Geforce 256" because you could use 32-bit color.

mind blowing

If you could do that and set your sound to 64-bit, you were one serious gamer, eh?

(Actually, I don't remember if Quake III had the options for 32-bit and 64-bit audio. It's been a while.)

Synthesis on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

That's what happens when you kill all the simulators. Seriously, ten years ago, there were still a number of awesome simulators and vibrant communities for simulators that had come out five years beforehand.

Though that's going back even further. EA being Electronic Arts, and being famous for being a published for Jane's Combat Simulators and stuff like that.

There are still lots of simulators out there. Microsoft Flight Sim X has a massive community, and is almost there in terms of functioning as a simulator realistic enough that pilots could keep their hours up by "playing" on it, as well as serving as a training simulation for ATC personnel. (FS:X really doesn't get enough love for being one of the most powerful 'games' out there)

The Train Simulator series shows how much people are willing to pay to drive a train around.

Just because the market has shifted from the 'sexy' young male crowd to a more quiet mature male crowd doesn't mean it's gone away. It's just that we don't see the advertisements.

Robman on
    edited December 2009
    I had a voodoo 3 2000 and used that for years. I bought it some time shortly after Quake 2 came out.

I remember "Quake 3 Test"

Remember that guys? The free "test" beta of the game, came with The Longest Yard and the other level, and there was DM and TDM modes?

Man not only running that on my PC - which I didn't expect it to run well given my specs at the time - not only ran surprisingly well on my 16 meg Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card but also the lag was half decent, to my surprise, even on my 24.4 modem!

slash000 on
    edited December 2009
    I blame it on the Rainbow Six series being dog shit after Rogue Spear.

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2009

Multiplayer on Raven Shield was fucking amazing, you shut your whore mouth.

Yes, I killed my entire team and the entire enemy team with the RPD in the demo. Good times, good times.

Robman on
    edited December 2009
    Robman wrote: »

There are still lots of simulators out there. Microsoft Flight Sim X has a massive community, and is almost there in terms of functioning as a simulator realistic enough that pilots could keep their hours up by "playing" on it, as well as serving as a training simulation for ATC personnel. (FS:X really doesn't get enough love for being one of the most powerful 'games' out there)

The Train Simulator series shows how much people are willing to pay to drive a train around.

Just because the market has shifted from the 'sexy' young male crowd to a more quiet mature male crowd doesn't mean it's gone away. It's just that we don't see the advertisements.

I never played Train Simulator.

I don't have any reason why besides "It's a train simulator?" to be honest. I still enjoy FSX (probably the reason I own TrackIR today). I love my Tupolev Tu-144, yes I do.

And yeah, given the sheer power behind the game, FSX doesn't get much love (though the half-hearted DX10 support might be part of the reason). There are some people with macho setups that have the entirety of the city of Dubai (or other big, flashy cities) beautifully rendered. But not me. :(

I remember playing Microsoft Space Simulator, strangely enough. Not too surprising that never got further. What I mean is that the chance of seeing games like MiG-29 Fulcrum from Novalogic (which was actually pretty arcadey at times) is very, very low. Modern flight simulators have, with a few exceptions (mostly Russian developed games, like DCS or Lock On), died off. It's WWII or nothing.

And there's basically zero chance of seeing non-flight simulation games, like naval combat simulators, outside of Silent Hunter V. Seeing the beauty of the modern Silent Hunter games, and wondering how amazing games like Janes' 688 Hunter/Killer could look in the same engines keeps me up at night.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2009

Yes, I killed my entire team and the entire enemy team with the RPD in the demo. Good times, good times.

It was alright, but just not the same. Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear were so damn good, everything after that just felt like gradual decline. I look at these Vegas games and it doesn't even seem like the same series anymore. :|

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2009
    Well I mean you've kind of hit the problem. Falcon 4.0 pretty much set the gold bar for modern jet combat - and really every modern fighter jet combat sim is the same since dogfights only happen in very unusual situations.

I mean I suppose it would be one thing if games like ARMA II had sim-level controls for their vehicles, but they seem to use 'realistic' GUIs and arcade style flight controls.

A helicopter sim set in afghanistan would be a lot of fun, I imagine.

Robman on
    edited December 2009

It was alright, but just not the same. Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear were so damn good, everything after that just felt like gradual decline. I look at these Vegas games and it doesn't even seem like the same series anymore. :|

No planning multiple teams, for starters.

Plus, there's a lot more "America, fuck yah!" in the recent games. Or is that just me? Then again, given that it's Tom Clancy, that might have been more along the lines of his original idea.

Synthesis on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Quake 1's "story" is a grotesque mess of epic proportions. The readme.txt talks about this bad dude named Quake who's sending a bunch of no-gooders who are messing up your shit and how you're totally gonna stop him, but by the end of the actual game you're telefragging a Lovecraftian horror.

The development of that game was just so haphazard and awesome.

I googled Shub Niggurath...
    Shub-Niggurath.jpg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well I mean you've kind of hit the problem. Falcon 4.0 pretty much set the gold bar for modern jet combat - and really every modern fighter jet combat sim is the same since dogfights only happen in very unusual situations.

I mean I suppose it would be one thing if games like ARMA II had sim-level controls for their vehicles, but they seem to use 'realistic' GUIs and arcade style flight controls.

That'd be awesome, even if you didn't shoot shit.
    In Desert Combat (BF1942 mod) I used to spend hours just flying the Blackhawk in wide circles around the towns while my team mates spawned and shot the snot out of everything that moved with the mounted chain guns. I'd always have the Blackhawk down soundtrack playing at the same time. In fact, with bad company 2, I'm hoping the blackhawks are durable so I can do the same. I always found the helicopters in Bad company 1 were too easy to shoot down.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
    edited December 2009

mind blowing

If you could do that and set your sound to 64-bit, you were one serious gamer, eh?

(Actually, I don't remember if Quake III had the options for 32-bit and 64-bit audio. It's been a while.)

Also it has multi cpu support. The biggest thing quake3 brought to the table in my mind were those Bézier curved surfaces in the maps.

FingerSlut on
    edited December 2009
    Quake 1's story was perfect. It was so obscure you had to look in the manual to know what the setup was. It just drops you into the game and lets you kill shit and find keys. Gameplay first.

Page- on
    stream
    edited December 2009

*cough*

DCS Black Shark does that. Except replace "Afghanistan" with "Georgia".

Okay, it's not the exact same thing, but it's still a phenomenally excellent simulator (for their Yankee audience, they're adding the A-10 next). I'm sure this is just my History BA in me talking, but when you said "helicopter sim set in Afghanistan" I immediately thought 1988, rather than 2003.

Synthesis on
    edited December 2009

*cough*

DCS Black Shark does that. Except replace "Afghanistan" with "Georgia".

Okay, it's not the exact same thing, but it's still a phenomenally excellent simulator (for their Yankee audience, they're adding the A-10 next). I'm sure this is just my History BA in me talking, but when you said "helicopter sim set in Afghanistan" I immediately thought 1988, rather than 2003.

I mean modern era, where you're doing lots of medivacs, aid deliveries, as well as combat missions.

Or medivacs that turn into combat missions, when the usual retarded sim plots demand that the russians invade or something hilarious like that

Robman on
    edited December 2009

That'd be awesome, even if you didn't shoot shit.
    In Desert Combat (BF1942 mod) I used to spend hours just flying the Blackhawk in wide circles around the towns while my team mates spawned and shot the snot out of everything that moved with the mounted chain guns. I'd always have the Blackhawk down soundtrack playing at the same time. In fact, with bad company 2, I'm hoping the blackhawks are durable so I can do the same. I always found the helicopters in Bad company 1 were too easy to shoot down.

Desert combat was tits! I remember calling for air pickup and someone would actually come get me. Thats when flying those SOBs were hard! Oh man the memories.

FingerSlut on