As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll. ONLY WIRED Internet @ Shearton & Marriott!

• Hombre GatoHombre Gato Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To the fellow who selected the Chinatown bus over the Bolt:

I will pray for you.

Hombre Gato on
    edited October 2009
    I've never thrown my own hotel part before, is it out of the question for people here to request rooms near each other? So as to take over a hallway or two rather than elevator around to competing shindigs?

Hombre Gato on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've taken the Chinatown bus a good 15 times over 3 years and I've never had an issue. We had a flat tire once and since I knew where we were in the city we took the subway instead of waiting for the replacement that was coming from Brooklyn.

I took Bolt once, the driver decided not to come in and the staff at the terminal neglected to tell us, rather they told us it'd be 10 more minutes. After boarding time came and went along with another 10 minutes I said that they were waiting for the next bus time to send us. After and hour and a half I was proved right, was ready to kill and the bus arrived. We then are on the bus for about 1.5 hours when the driver decides to pull over at an Arby's for 20 minutes, putting us behind 2 hours now. I contacted Bolt to complain and got a nice 'Whoops our bad he wasn't supposed to stop and sorry 'bout the guy not showing up' and I swore off Bolt ever since.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009
    Unfortunate, but those don't sound like the kinds of things that happen regularly, like accidents on the CTown. Sounds more like some dude got fired and another one had to poop.

Hombre Gato on
  • Kamikaze PurpleKamikaze Purple Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Booked my two rooms at the Sheraton! Me and six others are driving up via rental minivan from Clearwater, FL.

Then, after PAX, sightseeing in NYC (and the Nintendo World Store.)

So excited!

Kamikaze Purple on
    edited October 2009
    There's a great little hole-in-the wall place in the East Village if you've got time for it. You'll find things in there that ebay hasn't even seen.

http://www.videogamesnewyork.com/

Hombre Gato on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Unfortunate, but those don't sound like the kinds of things that happen regularly, like accidents on the CTown. Sounds more like some dude got fired and another one had to poop.

The Chinatown ones don't happen that often either people seem to think they're crashing every week but they don't. I remember when Greyhound buses were flipping almost weekly on the NJ Turnpike but it hasn't happened in awhile and it was a freak kind of thing but people don't hold that against them now. People tend to regard the Chinatown buses as being ghetto deathtraps mostly because of the Chinatown aspect which is sad and silly. With how many buses they run a day you're more likely to be involved in an accident on an MBTA bus than the Chinatown bus.

VisionOfClarity on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There's a great little hole-in-the wall place in the East Village if you've got time for it. You'll find things in there that ebay hasn't even seen.

http://www.videogamesnewyork.com/

Also, they don't seem to understand what a street date is.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • AdrianKentAdrianKent Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've been to Boston once, and figured out pretty quickly how to use the Metro public transportation system. I did some hotel searching via tripadvisor, and found hotels between the $100 - 160 range, which is significantly cheaper than any of the Penny Arcade recommendations.

http://www.mbta.com/
    Use their trip planner tool to figure out public transportation options.

Honestly, I could use every penny, since I'm going to be buying so much swag at PAX. :D

AdrianKent on
    Steam Account : ZeroZeroOne
  • WaduWadu Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    AdrianKent wrote: »
    http://www.mbta.com/
    Use their trip planner tool to figure out public transportation options.

Honestly, I could use every penny, since I'm going to be buying so much swag at PAX. :D

Good plan, but a word of caution -

It is worth re-iterating that the public transportation in Boston shuts down shortly after midnight. If you are not planning on concerts or late night gaming, taking the T to your cheaper but farther away hotel is a great option. Just be prepared to walk back to your hotel with all your swag if you end up staying past midnight.

Wadu on
  • BigDaddyDreamBigDaddyDream Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    My friends and I will be staying at the Hilton Doubletree about one mile from the Hynes.
    I know its a mile but since I am a Hilton employee I get it for $39 a night.
    Damn Back Bay wouldn't give me the employee rate. I will boycott them FOREVER!!!!!!!11!1!!!

BigDaddyDream on
    I got a head full of faces, a heart full of pain. I got some bad ideas feeding my brain. I got a night full of promise, a city full of prey. Looks like everything is going my way.
  • MisterPlisskenMisterPlissken Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll stay at the Colonnade hotel the twenty fourth through the twenty ninth. It's appropriately name as it's a the back of the convention center. I hope my brother can make it. I might have to invite a stranger. Or get the Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium; which would be cheaper.

MisterPlissken on
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Booked for the Sheraton for Friday and Saturday night but extremely tempted to talk the rest of my group into adding Thursday on as well.

Gundabad on
  • HoofrogHoofrog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Reserved the Sheraton for Friday and Saturday. Let me just say, Priceline.com is your friend.

Hoofrog on
  • capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoofrog wrote: »
    Reserved the Sheraton for Friday and Saturday. Let me just say, Priceline.com is your friend.

Any tips on how to tell which hotel is which on Priceline?

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • NecessityNecessity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Marriot is no longer an option under the group bookings. Has anyone seen the group, booking code?

Necessity on
  • SillyconmindSillyconmind Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First time PAXer, just got my hotel all bookified at the sheriton so psyched to be joining you... one question though... Where am I gonna go thursday to get my drink on?

Sillyconmind on
  • SpYkMoSpYkMo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First time PAXer, just got my hotel all bookified at the sheriton so psyched to be joining you... one question though... Where am I gonna go thursday to get my drink on?

sooo many options, you got, Dillons, The Pour House, cactus club, Bukowski's. those are right around boylston street. if you wanna go into Fenway/kenmore you got mcgreevy's, the baseball tavern, cask n flagon, GameOn, Bleacher bar, Boston beer works. should i keep going?

SpYkMo on
    edited November 2009
    SpYkMo wrote: »

sooo many options, you got, Dillons, The Pour House, cactus club, Bukowski's. those are right around boylston street. if you wanna go into Fenway/kenmore you got mcgreevy's, the baseball tavern, cask n flagon, GameOn, Bleacher bar, Boston beer works. should i keep going?

Ok, those all sound fantastic, and I'm going to do my best to hit them all, but is there any sort of planned pub crawl or hotel party I could hook up with? I'd love to meet some new peeps. Mmmm, peeps.

Sillyconmind on
  • HoofrogHoofrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    capnjack wrote: »
    Hoofrog wrote: »

Any tips on how to tell which hotel is which on Priceline?

I just isolated the hotel I wanted (Sheraton Boston) by location and star rating. I think for the area, the Sheraton Boston was the only star rating 3.5, so my chances were 100% I would get that hotel.

Hoofrog on
  • DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know about priceline.com - they've got rooms at the Sheraton from 204$, whereas I booked mine for 169$.

Anyways, we should organize a meetup/drinkup/gameup for Sheratonites.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »
    I don't know about priceline.com - they've got rooms at the Sheraton from 204$, whereas I booked mine for 169$.

Anyways, we should organize a meetup/drinkup/gameup for Sheratonites.

I'll start a thread.

Sillyconmind on
    edited December 2009
    There's a lot of us staying at the Sheriton Pre-Pax. I'd love to set a couple things up for gaming, drunking, whatevering on the nights before and during PAXeast... if you're interested, post here.

Sillyconmind on
    edited December 2009
    Count me in!

Things we'll need:

- a rendez-vous time & place
    - a way to identify ourselves (maybe?)
    - one (1) llama

As for myself; unless I can wrangle some more friends into coming down (which is still a possibility) I'll probably be flying solo. I land in Boston around 6:30 PM on Thursday (assuming no delays...). Factor in time to get to the hotel & check in etc I'll probably be available sometime around...8-ish? Dunno.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SpYkMo wrote: »

Ok, those all sound fantastic, and I'm going to do my best to hit them all, but is there any sort of planned pub crawl or hotel party I could hook up with? I'd love to meet some new peeps. Mmmm, peeps.

I 'm in the same boat. I'm arriving thursday around 5:30pm & staying at the Sheraton. Looking for something to do that first night & meet some people since this is my first PAX. If anyone knows of a pub crawl or hotel room party I'm down. Or if people just want to go to a local bar & drink it's all good.

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll be a pre-PAX Sheraton arriver late Thursday afternoon/early Thurs. evening, myself.

I'm not, however, much of a pub crawler, being a female lightweight without much of a taste for alcohol.

I would, however, love to meet up with some cool folks and get dinner and make friends early. Some gaming (especially tabletop!) and room party-ing does sound like good times, however.

Zuki on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zuki wrote: »
    I'll be a pre-PAX Sheraton arriver late Thursday afternoon/early Thurs. evening, myself.

I'm not, however, much of a pub crawler, being a female lightweight without much of a taste for alcohol.

I would, however, love to meet up with some cool folks and get dinner and make friends early. Some gaming (especially tabletop!) and room party-ing does sound like good times, however.

You're making friends right now! I'm cool and I like you already so you are now my friend.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There's a lot of us staying at the Sheriton Pre-Pax. I'd love to set a couple things up for gaming, drunking, whatevering on the nights before and during PAXeast... if you're interested, post here.

Compare you avatar to mine. You and I should hang out and talk about bactine, slurpies, torture methods and horrible things that squirm behind blood caked walls.

mentok1982 on
    edited December 2009
    Apparently the Sheraton has like, 3 floors of meeting rooms. I'm sure we'll be able to find some space to lay down a game board and roll some dice.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2009
    Depends on how amenable the hotel staff is. Back in 2005 they left a conference room open and even lent the use of a small TV where several people brought classic game consoles. These days, there's a classic game room in PAX itself, but for afterhours action in any case, it's up to the hotel staff and depens on if there are any conferences making use of said rooms.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• skeletonframesskeletonframes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've never thrown my own hotel part before, is it out of the question for people here to request rooms near each other? So as to take over a hallway or two rather than elevator around to competing shindigs?
    At Penguicon, near Detroit, this year they had the first four rooms next to the elevators as the "party rooms" on each floor. My guess is that they talked to the hotel before hand and requested this, stating the situation. The convention was actually in the hotel conference room, though, so they may have been more accommodating. It couldn't hurt to make a call to the hotel.

I know that when I usually book a hotel they have me choose a type of room and then I can choose from the available rooms on that day. First person to check-in can tweet their room # and everyone else could try to get as close as possible.

I'm a GWJer, though, so what do I know?

Also, I'm booked for the Sheraton. TH,FR,SA,SU nights. I'll knock some back on Thursday.

skeletonframes on
    “No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.”
    edited December 2009
    mentok1982 wrote: »

Compare you avatar to mine. You and I should hang out and talk about bactine, slurpies, torture methods and horrible things that squirm behind blood caked walls.

That would certainly be.... wacky.

Sillyconmind on
    edited December 2009

That would certainly be.... wacky.

Wacky!? WACKKKEEEEE!? :twisted:

mentok1982 on
    edited December 2009
    You're making friends right now! I'm cool and I like you already so you are now my friend.

Excellent, hooray!
    Apparently the Sheraton has like, 3 floors of meeting rooms. I'm sure we'll be able to find some space to lay down a game board and roll some dice.

This is also a brilliantly simple plan; I perhaps I shall commit myself to running a oneshot for the first three to five people that show up. I have a Dungeons and Dragons oneshot I love so much, where all the PC's are kobolds from the Unpopular Kid's Table in the kobold-cafeteria.

Zuki on
    edited December 2009
    Zuki wrote: »
    This is also a brilliantly simple plan; I perhaps I shall commit myself to running a oneshot for the first three to five people that show up. I have a Dungeons and Dragons oneshot I love so much, where all the PC's are kobolds from the Unpopular Kid's Table in the kobold-cafeteria.

Shotgun!

I'm wondering what games I should bring... I don't want to pack my suitcase with too much stuff, as I'll need room (and the weight) to bring back all my PAX loot.

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    Bring games that you think other people won't have, that you absolutely want to play. Lots of other people are also bringing games, so all the popular stuff, and your basic sets, etc. You could take a look at the 'board games at PAX' thread. Maybe some of the simple card-based stuff, leave the Apples to Apples sets and complex board games to people with more weight and room.

Zuki on
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Would like to point out that since a lot of these hotels are pretty much within walking distance of each other, limiting the after-PAX parties to just Sheratonites is just cruel (especially since I'm in the Hilton).

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just booked the Sheraton. I think we need a solid Pre-PAX drunken gaming night on the 25th

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has anyone called their hotel booked through the PAX site to confirm that the registration actually went through and we all wont be showing up with no where to stay?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If it's done the same way as PAX Prime, then all the reservations will be under Penny Arcade's name and they will transfer to you at some point before PAX. So if you phone and ask about your name, they may or may not know what you're talking about.

Wormdundee on
This discussion has been closed.