As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Goddamn Batman Would Have Words With The Both Of You [NSF56K]

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    "No! NO!!!!!!!" is the best reaction to a blowjob I've ever seen.

But, uh, I haven't seen many.

not touchin this

this one is too easy

I made it to be easy.

Just like your mother.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not like this! Not like thiiiiiiis!

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    "No! NO!!!!!!!" is the best reaction to a blowjob I've ever seen.

But, uh, I haven't seen many.

not touchin this

this one is too easy

I made it to be easy.

Just like your mother.

look everyone knows my mother is easy

it is common knowledge

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    That's what I don't really get about Superman, he's just that damn perfect. Not his powers, I can live with that, but his personality, he's a truly heroic person, he never has to overcome his own fear, never has to struggle with the immense amount of power he has, never has to deal with the fact that he is effectively a God, because it doesn't occur to him that his power would ever get in the way of the right thing.

In my personal view of Superman, I think he does struggle with his own issues, and has doubts sometimes, but ultimately, he gets over them, because that's what a man does, never mind a super man. He doesn't wallow in his own insecurities and failings, because he doesn't have time to, and because it would be pointless.

I remember someone once likening Superman to a paternal figure, caring for the entire world, and that's how I've looked at him ever since. Sure, sometimes he gets out of bed, and his back hurts, and someone stole his newspaper, and he ran out of coffee filters, and his wife's on his ass to take her on a vacation, and he really, really just wants to go have a beer and enjoy five minutes of peace and quiet.

And then he remembers that he has responsibilities and work to do, so he puts on his pajamas and goes to punch an alien invader in the face, just so he can get up tomorrow and do the same thing all over again.

i was actually just talking about this last night. to me, superman's biggest issue is (of course) not physical danger, but mental danger. superman in my own personal view is really about emotions.

the best solo superman comics don't deal with him fighting a big external menace, but rather the internal menaces of his psyche. superman is an affirmation that no matter how good-looking or strong or powerful you are, you can still feel lonely and helpless and sad. everybody feels that way sometimes and that's okay exactly because everyone feels that way. you can get over it.

for example, let's take two of the best known superman stories- "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow" and the much more recent "all-star superman". their impact comes from their emotional weight. "man of tomorrow" is, ultimately, about being afraid of letting the people you love down even inadvertently. who hasn't felt that way at some time? the final page of the first issue just kills me.

"all-star", of course, is ultimately about facing death with the most dignity possible, and leaving the world a better place in your wake.

these are things that everyone, everyone grapples with sometimes. even superman is not immune. but maybe he can help show us a way to face these feelings constructively and come out better than we were.

and of course there's also the "never lets us down" aspect of his character. i posted a bit about this yesterday as well, but i personally find the idea of a man who is good through to his core such that, no matter the evil, no matter how he's feeling on a given day, no matter the odds or what it will cost him personally, he can and will do the right thing and save us all, well, i find that idea frankly inspirational rather than boring. superman is a wonderful character.

edit- which isn't to say that he's not a difficult character to write for. i can't think of many solo books that would be a bigger challenge to write consistently well.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited December 2009
    There is an Action Comics issue where Lois is kidnapped and Superman gets Batman to help him out (Superman is dying from Kryptonite poisoning at the time). It is one of the best issues at the psyche of Superman (as narrated by Bruce).

In one scene, Batman beats up some thugs in a bar to get information, and they keep coming at him, wanting to fight Batman. But Superman limps into the bar, coughing and glowing green and dying, asking for help, and the thugs can't get over to him quickly enough to help him. That is why Superman is awesome.

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    i think "red son" deals with some of the these issues really effectively as well, certainly better than i ever would have expected mark millar to do.

of course, grant morrison helped.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There is an Action Comics issue where Lois is kidnapped and Superman gets Batman to help him out (Superman is dying from Kryptonite poisoning at the time). It is one of the best issues at the psyche of Superman (as narrated by Bruce).

In one scene, Batman beats up some thugs in a bar to get information, and they keep coming at him, wanting to fight Batman. But Superman limps into the bar, coughing and glowing green and dying, asking for help, and the thugs can't get over to him quickly enough to help him. That is why Superman is awesome.

That is pretty cool, I'd love to read that. On the other side of it, I love when characters react this way to Captain America. Usually it's other heroes, but it's the same kind of feeling, that just his presence makes people want to be the best version of themselves.

Langly on
    edited December 2009
    I'll scan it in this weekend, I just need to find it. I've been doing a purge and sell of my collection and have issues mixed up here and there.

TexiKen on
  • frayfray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Red Son and All-Star Superman are definitely two great Superman stories with a lot of depth and emotional weight. I actually think Dark Knight Returns (and to a lesser extent DKSA, which I kind of have a soft spot for even though I know it's pretty ludicrous) presents an interesting take on Superman as well. It/they show the heroic side of him, but also that for all his power he can still be co-opted and compromised.

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Solar, you know I love The Sentry too, but I've got to ask you to give Superman another chance! A lot of the stories noted above are really worthwhile reads.

Also, get he issue of Hitman where Superman makes an appearance, if you can find it.

Wildcat on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    i think "red son" deals with some of the these issues really effectively as well, certainly better than i ever would have expected mark millar to do.

of course, grant morrison helped.

Superman seems to bring out the best in writers. Like Ennis, with the one Hitman issue, and all of JLA and Hitman

Bloods End on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Solar, you know I love The Sentry too, but I've got to ask you to give Superman another chance! A lot of the stories noted above are really worthwhile reads.

I said I would, didn't I? :wink:

Anyway, I'll have to wait until my Amazon order with Moon Knight, Iron Fist, She Hulk and the latest Nova TPB turns up before I get new stuff.

Solar on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    All-Star Superman really got me, I loved it. Actually, I really liked the Lex Luthor portrayal in it. He's not just a jerk, he's a guy who feels this supreme inferiority that he knows is completely justified as well as being completely unfair. In any other world he'd be able to be the best, or at least try and get close. But with Superman around, he's always going to be just not quite as impressive.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When I was 13 I thought Superman was boring because he was 'perfect'.

Then I read some Superman comics!

Saph on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Saph wrote: »

Superman is 'boring' (or other common complaints) because writers have difficulty writing about a 'perfect' character, not because the charcter himself is perfect.

KVW on
  • SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Saph wrote: »

Superman is 'boring' (or other common complaints) because writers have difficulty writing about a 'perfect' character, not because the charcter himself is perfect.
    Yes.

Saph on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just checking in and making my biannual recommendation:

if you want to understand WHY Superman works as a character, read "Secret Identity" by Busiek/Immonen. And then watch "The Iron Giant."

To me, those might be the best stories about Superman, and why Superman is the icon he is. Of course, "Superman" isn't actually in either of those stories.

Fatboy Roberts on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Action comics 775 baby. That's all Big Blue lovin'

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Joe Kelly and Mark Schultz should write Superman forever. Even Loeb did a surprisingly decent job, even though I feel like he really started the LET'S GO BACK TO THE SILVER AGE mentality in his Superman run that DC still follows.

Rans on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So many panels happening in this thread, presently.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited December 2009
    way to contribute, though

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Listen, I have contributed Guy Gardner's ass to this thread

I have nothing left to give, Servo.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Manhattan Guardian's moment in Seven Soldiers 1 makes a great 3 panel comic:
    herou.jpg

I hope the next generation of comic book writers will be mining all the Grant Morrison creations that are being presently ignored or left alone.

Lux on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lux wrote: »
    Manhattan Guardian's moment in Seven Soldiers 1 makes a great 3 panel comic:
    herou.jpg

I hope the next generation of comic book writers will be mining all the Grant Morrison creations that are being presently ignored or left alone.

7-1.jpg

I guess Grant Morrison is a secret time traveler who went by the names "Joe Simon" and "Jack Kirby" in 1942. The More You Know!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The SSoV characters weren't wholly original, but it's still fair to call them Grant's creations.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2009
    I don't think so, no more than you'd call Green Arrow the creation of Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think calling Jack Knight the creation of James Robinson would be a more apt comparison.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Um... The 7S characters were quite different than their predecessors. Zatanna is still Zatanna, but everyone else is pretty different.

DouglasDanger on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd look at them in the same way as you look at the Silver Age Characters and the Golden Age Fathers.

Algertman on
    edited December 2009
    So, today in the post I got a nice TPB of Immortal Iron Fist volume 1: The Last Iron Fist Story.

Holy Shit. This book is awesome.

Solar on
    edited December 2009
    So, today in the post I got a nice TPB of Immortal Iron Fist volume 1: The Last Iron Fist Story.

Holy Shit. This book is awesome.

Do you have a scanner? I had several awesome panels/pages scanned from that, but I deleted all of my comic/art stuff.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2009
    Sadly no. There are some great panels in that book, and the art is truly great. The way they draw the little coloured circles on the page to emphasis the impact of certain strikes is a lovely touch. Also Danny and Orson are written together really well, the old and the young etc.

Solar on
    edited December 2009
    Sadly no. There are some great panels in that book, and the art is truly great. The way they draw the little coloured circles on the page to emphasis the impact of certain strikes is a lovely touch. Also Danny and Orson are written together really well, the old and the young etc.

Thanks for nothing!

I'm looking for preview pages or whatever to share, since you are a damn tease, but not having any luck.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2009
    immortalironfist006014.jpg

That's one of my favourite scenes from the first arc of Iron Fist.

KVW on
    edited December 2009
    Orson Randall punching that Assassin's heart out is good, as is when Steel Serpent and Iron Fist flying kick towards each other and the next shot is of the skyscraper with light exploding out of the level they are on.

Solar on
    edited December 2009
    Blah, I remember scanning a ton of IIF stuff for the dedicated thread, but that thread must have been nuked at some point. I'lll post some stuff later.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I had these scanned in but S_D beat me to it, and way before Mark Millar decided to do the same thing only not as good.

Nite-Wing's making his entrance to a bunch of criminals:

nw1.jpg

nw2.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    When did Mark Millar do something like that again? You mean Kick-Ass?

KVW on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the "what would really happen" aspect. The kid in Kick-Ass got stabbed, but it's the same thing. Nite-Wing stays in the hospital for months too.

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    Alan Davis' first published work, first appearing in Marvel UK's RAMPAGE MONTHLY #41 (1981):
    (spoiled for size)
    w9b7zs.jpg

2d12yyg.jpg

35i3xav.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.