As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of scrambler, If I have a UAV up I can see you on the map outside of the scrambler radius, If I don't have UAV scrambler sort of gives away that someone is near by.

Yeah. All the scrambler does is let me know that someone is sneaking up on me.

Sheep on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    everytime i hear something isn't useful it's from someone who plays mostly DM/FFA/HC.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I use scrambler almost exclusively. It's real good because when you get close to someone, they freak out and start turning around and going around corners trying to search for you. This ofcourse means they turn the corner and get blasted. I don't sneak alot, I just run around and blast bitches.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Scrambler seems like a logical pick for the guy who always plays defense or for someone who runs the bomb/flag if those sorts of games are in this(I really haven't checked out the odjective games since I won't play em with out at least a 2/3rds of a team in a party) in both cases it makes it more difficult to judge what sort of protection is with that guy. That said the radius of it is small enough that you can just get that intel by sending a guy in blind to be taken out by said defense as a scout.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd just like to say curse whoever made PA MW2 without an A in front of it so i have to scroll through a horde of friends to get to it, also curse everyone else on the list who are never on to play :P It's my goal to one day manage to play with one other person from PA .

As for scrambler..its not really any good for the demolition objective at least since you have a giant KILL arrow in the middle of your screen anyway. The game is so fast paced and hectic you never really have time to be doing recon on what his protection is once you're close anyway

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just picked this up myself yesterday, is any of the crowd from COD4 killing mans? I mean like Kris_xK and Sheep and others of the like. I remember many a wonderful game on HQ and Domination, same with Hardcore when I wasn't getting stress headaches from some of the Search and Destroy stuff. Anyways, I need to get Live Gold again, but I'm totally down for a game soonish.

I've noticed a lot of the SMGs are utter garbage minus the P90 though, really sort of saddens me that they seemed to have skewed things around and broken the game further. Hopefully they get up off their asses and just patch out some of the cheaper things.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd just like to say curse whoever made PA MW2 without an A in front of it so i have to scroll through a horde of friends to get to it,

Starting it with an A would be best, but if you didn't already know the right and left triggers act as page up / page down keys for browsing your friends list, which does help a bit.

wonderpug on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    Just picked this up myself yesterday, is any of the crowd from COD4 killing mans? I mean like Kris_xK and Sheep and others of the like. I remember many a wonderful game on HQ and Domination, same with Hardcore when I wasn't getting stress headaches from some of the Search and Destroy stuff. Anyways, I need to get Live Gold again, but I'm totally down for a game soonish.

I've noticed a lot of the SMGs are utter garbage minus the P90 though, really sort of saddens me that they seemed to have skewed things around and broken the game further. Hopefully they get up off their asses and just patch out some of the cheaper things.

The UMP45 is a beast. The P90 is not nearly as good as it was from MW1 now that they added some mean recoil to it.

BlueDestiny on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I'd just like to say curse whoever made PA MW2 without an A in front of it so i have to scroll through a horde of friends to get to it,

Starting it with an A would be best, but if you didn't already know the right and left triggers act as page up / page down keys for browsing your friends list, which does help a bit.

zomg, why isn't that a documented feature?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »

zomg, why isn't that a documented feature?

I think it got stealth added in one of the somewhat recent updates.

wonderpug on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It works in the xbox game list also I think. Any of the few places where you can scroll it should work.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What does "Oscar Mike" mean? I've managed to figure out most of the military jargon, but this one has me confused.

Lucascraft on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think its just "on the move"

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It just means on the move. Stupid military jargon where they use the first letter of a word to make a new word when they could just say on the move. :P

Joshmvii on
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The UMP45 is a beast. The P90 is not nearly as good as it was from MW1 now that they added some mean recoil to it.

I am not the biggest fan of the UMP45 I've got to say. Maybe I need some time to grow on it, I had the same trouble with using the M14 in the first game. I gotta say though, I effing love the FAL. Gun is pure sex in rifle form.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's not that the UMP is great it's that it's not as terrible as most of the other SMGs, besides the vector. The MP5k is simply fucking awful, it has LMG level recoil. I haven't tried the Uzi though.

Hoz on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Once you get Live Gold again just toss me a friend request (Kris xK) and I'll get you into games.

SMGs have definitely been nerfed from CoD4, but they're not too bad. They've really made them for medium to close range now tho, so no more Scorpion sniping. Akimbo Uzis is fun tho.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

Once you get Live Gold again just toss me a friend request (Kris xK) and I'll get you into games.

SMGs have definitely been nerfed from CoD4, but they're not too bad. They've really made them for medium to close range now tho, so no more Scorpion sniping. Akimbo Uzis is fun tho.

The 1887s or whatever are the new scorpions. Rage inducing tools of motherfucking evil.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    Kris_xK wrote: »

The 1887s or whatever are the new scorpions. Rage inducing tools of motherfucking evil.

No, 1887 are close range noob toobs. They only require you to be in the vicinity of your victim. No skill required.

Morvidus on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Come to think of it , the Skorpian would easily outclass most of the machine pistols in the game . No recoil, decent damage and high rate of fire. I wonder why it wasn't kept?

EspantaPajaro on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the SMGs are not accurate on the first shot and they have larger spread than ARs. You can't hit shit with a UMP beyond 50 yards.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited December 2009
    So I just completed the chapter titled "Whiskey Hotel" and it wasn't until after the mission was over that I realized Whiskey Hotel meant White House. I kept waiting for us to enter a saloon or something. Then we went on the roof of the White House and popped the green flares and I was like "huh...so the white house is a hotel?...ooooohhhhhhhhhh"

Then I felt stupid.

Lucascraft on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Might want to mark those spoilers before someone freaks out man.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited December 2009
    I wouldn't really call it a spoiler, since out of context it has no real meaning, but I put tags on it anyway.

Lucascraft on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    It just means on the move. Stupid military jargon where they use the first letter of a word to make a new word when they could just say on the move. :P

well the whole point of the phonetical alphabet is to minimize confusion when transmitting data over coms.

saying Whiskey Tango is much easier than saying "WT" "what, WD?" "No, W T" "oh okay, WB" "BAH IT'S WHISKEY TANGO" "ohhhh why didn't you say that in the first place?"

but also, I can call you names like white trash with a significant amount of plausible deniablity.

hypothetically.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

On a radio in the middle of a gunfight, it's easier to distinguish 'oscar mike' than 'on the move'. This is the reason behind many military sayings.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And the words they choose are designed not to conflict with each other as well, beyond your general word usage.

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So I just completed the chapter titled "Whiskey Hotel" and it wasn't until after the mission was over that I realized Whiskey Hotel meant White House. I kept waiting for us to enter a saloon or something. Then we went on the roof of the White House and popped the green flares and I was like "huh...so the white house is a hotel?...ooooohhhhhhhhhh"

Then I felt stupid.

I did almost the same thing. Popped the flares, and the mission ended. I said to myself "So, we never actually make it to whiskey hotel?" Two whole missions later during a loading screen it randomly hit me "Ohhhhh White House!" then *facepalm*

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One of my cousins had a moment like that recently. We're sitting, watching the Dark Knight...

"Ohhhhh!"

"What?"

"I just got it! Edward Nigma... E. Nigma?"

"We're watching The Dark Knight and your mind travels to whence Jim Carey played the riddler?"

Lucky Cynic on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

well the whole point of the phonetical alphabet is to minimize confusion when transmitting data over coms.

saying Whiskey Tango is much easier than saying "WT" "what, WD?" "No, W T" "oh okay, WB" "BAH IT'S WHISKEY TANGO" "ohhhh why didn't you say that in the first place?"

but also, I can call you names like white trash with a significant amount of plausible deniablity.

hypothetically.

Okay so here's the thing: not only does the phonetic alphabet prevent you from confusing letters that rhyme on a radio -- c and z, "see" and "zee" sound very similar, not so much "charlie" and "zulu" -- military communications, ie "jargon" also prevents confusion on a radio. And "White House" is a great example of that -- how does one quickly discern the difference between "We're taking fire from the White House!" and "We're taking fire from the white house?" Phonetically, they are exactly the same, but the meaning is completely different if we happen to be talking about different houses which happen to be white. Quick and dirty designations like "Whiskey Hotel" can solve problems like that.

The other popular example is "repeat." You hardly ever ask someone to "repeat" on a radio. You ask them to "say again?" "Repeat" can mean "I want you to repeat what you just said," but it can also mean "I want you to repeat the action that you were just ordered to perform."

I don't know particularly why "Oscar Mike" but it's probably not actually retarded.

SammyF on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Apparently they must have gotten a lot of their new jargon from watching a lot of Generation Kill and forgetting that the Rangers arent Marines

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the reason they all say oscar mike is because of generation kill

e: lfg i am going to oscar your mike

Nuzak on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you burst-fire the Vector, cross-map kills are definitely possible. Half my kills with a silenced Vector are about halfway across the map.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Apparently they must have gotten a lot of their new jargon from watching a lot of Generation Kill and forgetting that the Rangers arent Marines

This might actually be true -- no one ever uttered the phrase "Oscar Mike" in CoD4, which DOES feature Marines but also happened to come out almost a full year before Generation Kill.

SammyF on
  • AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SammyF wrote: »

This might actually be true -- no one ever uttered the phrase "Oscar Mike" in CoD4, which DOES feature Marines but also happened to come out almost a full year before Generation Kill.

Isn't it a farily common phrase in the military though. I have a few Autobiographies that use the term extensively. I'm talking Blackhawk down, Guests of the Ayatollah (birth of Delta force baby!) , Mike Durant's book (He's the pilot kidnapped in Blackhawk Down) Jarhead and Killing Time.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd say it's pretty clear that they tried to make the Ranger sections as much like Generation Kill as possible. The drive through the city felt exactly like one of the episodes, to me. Except of course you use a minigun instead of a grenade launcher.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Analrapist wrote: »
    SammyF wrote: »

Isn't it a farily common phrase in the military though. I have a few Autobiographies that use the term extensively. I'm talking Blackhawk down, Guests of the Ayatollah (birth of Delta force baby!) , Mike Durant's book (He's the pilot kidnapped in Blackhawk Down) Jarhead and Killing Time.

Been in the Army Infantry for almost six years, anytime someone uses jargon other than a joke or actually on the radio is instantly ridiculed. It's more embarrassing than when one of your friends says "EL OH EL" in public instead of laughing.

It should also be Charlie Mike after that brief halt - Continue Mission.

Edit note, speaking of crazy military inconsistencies I really hope their advisor argued against that terrible, terrible 240b firing sound. Whoever thought that sounded realistic/good should be shot at by one.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    joshgotro wrote: »
    Start playing with people that know what to do when a Chopper Gunner gets used.

What do you do when you spawn in an open area, amongst your entire team and get instantly shot with the chopper gunner?

There is nothing to do. You just die. Over and over again.

Besides, "Don't play with pubs" is not a really useful piece of advice here.

I've seen this happen except I think the guy doing it was cheating. I had a coldblooded pro ninja pro class loaded and i couldn't get out my launcher and get a lock on signal before i died horribly over and over again.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I got an invite from the PA group and then from some IRL friends. I chose the IRL group. Bad idea.

Came across a clan that were all running Lightweight with SMGs. We'd get wiped out, and we'd respawn in a group. We'd immediately get swarmed by their entire time, and since no one would head my advice to equip a shot gun or an smg, we got mauled.

It was fucking RIDICULOUS.

Sheep on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    I'd say it's pretty clear that they tried to make the Ranger sections as much like Generation Kill as possible. The drive through the city felt exactly like one of the episodes, to me. Except of course you use a minigun instead of a grenade launcher.

If that wasn't enough the billion 'Oscar Mike' usages really proves it.

Also

Fall Camo on the ACR before I even hit 70 (non prestige)

Man that thing is a fucking bullet laser.

The_Scarab on