As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First timer

• Options
    HooBleedyHooBlahHooBleedyHooBlah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yoh Danny. HamsterBot model is almost done. Just a few more details to add. I might end up using this model during my 2hr hard surface modeling demo at GigaCon. Hope you dont mind me taking some artistic liberties on this one.

BTW...look who crawled outta his cave. Its MARK. Mark pls post some of your stuff online so Danny can see what i have been telling him.

You guys should both come over sometime and we can have a few drink and art jam. Danny i will let you use my 32 inch computer monitor again (seeing how u love it so much).

HooBleedyHooBlah on

Wuts the next number?

My Art BLOG!!!
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man I got a lot of stuff to tell you.

It's almost too much; literally had to make a list and find my reading glasses.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Daniel_ArayaDaniel_Araya Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ikage: Those two are just machines, If they both didn't get tendinitis, I wouldn't have thought they were human.

lilchingch0ng: don't tease.

DrIanMalcolm: Thanks dude, I'll check it out. I appreciate the find!

HooBleedyHooBlah: It's eyesex. And that sounds like an EXCELLENT idea. Drinking and arting is never a bad combination.

Godfather: I'm all ears dude, I'll be on skype tonight.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    beavotron wrote: »

who is this!?!? you know daniel?!!?!

post your work, I DEMAND IT!!!!

would had i been drawing much. maybe i'll post up some sketchbook pages at some point in the future.

this should be done.
    immediately.

beavotron on
  • Options
    toddleabootoddleaboo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Amazing work... your education is obvious. I checked out your website and took a look at all your work. I wish I could take my art to that level.

toddleaboo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ikage: Those two are just machines, If they both didn't get tendinitis, I wouldn't have thought they were human.

lilchingch0ng: don't tease.

DrIanMalcolm: Thanks dude, I'll check it out. I appreciate the find!

HooBleedyHooBlah: It's eyesex. And that sounds like an EXCELLENT idea. Drinking and arting is never a bad combination.

Godfather: I'm all ears dude, I'll be on skype tonight.

Hey now, I ain't done with school yet! And I haven't talked to that one guy either!

Apparently he's a grizzled russian or something, so he doesn't write or read english, or even speak it very well! I have some work cut out for me tomorrow.

Godfather on
  • Options
    A-squaredA-squared Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I am in love with hamster head

A-squared on
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    These are fantastic. Cool beards!

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    BGtest-2.jpg

I spent about an hour on this trying to imitate a rendering technique I saw on deviantart. It was pretty much done as a study in rendering with a 100% opaque brush. Nothing crazy but I thought I'd share. Those clouds are ridiculously ugly.

toddleaboo: Thanks, but most of this education you're referring to is just practice. Studies from life, photo, and working on my own shit.

A-squared: I like it.

Restart: Thanks man.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pretty fuggin awesome, looks similar to Beavo's rendering.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    self_portraitcopy.jpg

Did a self portrait for the sake of practice. I dunno why I look so pissed off.

Thanks Mustang!

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes, this is exactly how I picture you looking during the Skype conversations.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't smile AT ALL.

Also, I got an email from big huge games. I'm hopeful.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yay! good luck!

self portraits are so annoying, i had to do some of those tonight for school.
    my face refuses to sit still, i keep having to look at the drawing and then back at the mirror and...fuck you face, stop changing, you're messing up my drawings!

beavotron on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Smooooke_by_DanielAraya.jpg

That is the result of meaningless doodling with my roommates!

earthwormadam: Thanks! I'm still working on building good shapes. It's tricky for me to hit that appeal-g-spot. I'll learn.

Mustang: I do suck. All I do is I just use a bunch of photoshop filters in a super secret combination of layers. No joke, takes like 15 minutes per painting.

oh my god

do you use Sketchbook Pro at all?

Tam on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    beav - I know, I try to spend a lot of time setting up the features and measuring, and less time on the actual rendering itself. And thanks for the well wishes!

Tam - yup! I fucking love that program. It makes inking so easy and intuitive. I actually used a modified version of the pencil tool to "ink" that drawing. If I were to do a web comic, it would be in that style with some simple-ish coloring.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hells yes! That program is the best pencil analogue I've found in digital media.

Tam on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok I see you have some skill. /Marovingian

There's confidence and clarity in what you're doing, got some nice range going on... Your Jedi and Sith are my favorite right here, don't have time to look at your portfolio at the moment (need sleeeep), but I'm digging the stylization. I wish I thought of Hamster Head. :D
    Keep plugging away at the dream, I'm right there with ya. :cheers:
    Also, I might have to investigate this sketchbook pro program...

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, what is Sketchbook pro?

Is is a good way to get accustomed to a tablet? I'm trying to break in my Intuos but Photoshop keeps screwing me over with its bullshit "I-don't-want-to-recognize-pressure-sensitivity" and "i'm-gonna-cause-a-half-second-response-delay" game.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sketchbook pro is probably the best program for doing just that...sketching. Product designers love it. I disagree about it's inking abilities, though. I've found that Manga Studio inks far better lines.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I just need something that will let me get use to establishing decent line quality via computer. I'd love to use photoshop, but the program is too taxing for my computer.

Ah, i'm derailing the topic. Good luck with your possible interview Daniel!

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lalilulelo: Thanks! And you should, I love it.

Guy Bell: I've heard that program is great for inking. Like I said, in sketchbook pro I created a brush for inking which is working out for me so far. I want to give manga studio a try though.

Godfather: try sketchbook pro. and this isn't really derailing.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blah. I got rejected for the Disney Talent Development Program today. They were nice enough to tell me a little about what my portfolio was lacking though, which is kinda cool and which I'm grateful for. Here's what they said

"Regarding feedback, our art directors felt you have some good execution in your paintings but that you can overall still push your drawing, construction, and design (particularly in your environments). They would also like to see more compositions and pieces that convey interesting and compelling worlds/stories."

I think I'm at a point where I'm stuck, and don't know how to push my design and my construction. I need a mentor (which ironically is what I was really hoping to get from this program)

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Aw, that sucks. You'll get better though! And get a super awesome job.

Tam on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey Been looking through this thread and I really love your designs, specially the wolverine and the star wars stuff.
    I wish you the best o' luck in all of your endeavors!

That sounds like a bad greeting card, but i for reals mean it

worstcase on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    thanks guys, means a lot!

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blah. I got rejected for the Disney Talent Development Program today. They were nice enough to tell me a little about what my portfolio was lacking though, which is kinda cool and which I'm grateful for. Here's what they said

"Regarding feedback, our art directors felt you have some good execution in your paintings but that you can overall still push your drawing, construction, and design (particularly in your environments). They would also like to see more compositions and pieces that convey interesting and compelling worlds/stories."

I think I'm at a point where I'm stuck, and don't know how to push my design and my construction. I need a mentor (which ironically is what I was really hoping to get from this program)

Dude, for your environments you have to look at it more like you've got a telescope. The closer you zoom, the more details you get. So spend an extra few days on those env studies, double up the dpi and get to detailing!

Other than that, they just want you to become more creative.

...which i can't offer any solid advice on (not that that's ever stopped me before!). Creativity stems from life experience. How often do you visit gallerys these days? Or watch movies/play games/random not super artsy stuff. Do you take your camera out regularly and just look for shots? Do you try to talk to new people everyday?

All of these things can lead to new ideas, new characters (personalities, clothes, poses, expressions), new environments etc.

In a nutshell: creativity can be found everywhere expect inside your own sketchbook.

Also, bakia, when r u and danny trying to get together? I'll bring some dank ...pizza

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I agree with everything else that you said. I'm not sure I agree that more detail=better though.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'd favor real live experiences over playing video games or watching movies.

The latter are far more accesible, but you simply cannot beat going out there and exploring. It's the reason why Disney sent the Pixar employees to South America to visit those mountain plateaus and the world's tallest waterfall. Once they had lived it, it wasn't a question of what looks like what, but what element of the locale would feel like the best choice.

Most people don't have the pockets or time to visit exotic locales, so start small by exploring unknown areas in your stomping grounds.

Just avoid the places that will get you shot. D.C. is a rough city man.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MBirkhoferMBirkhofer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A great start here man!
    I think that advice you got from Disney was spot on. Pretty close to what I was going to comment.

You have some decent shapes. But your forms, and lines could be stronger.

And for enviroments. Godfather makes some good points.
    Study architecture, history, go exploring. Then think of a concept. And take what you know, and create it.
    Take a cliche or well known concept and twist and embellish it. This is not necessarily creating a portfolio, but its building the skills to create one.

MBirkhofer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Godfather: You keep saying that, DC is seriously not that rough at all. It has rough PARTS like any other city, but that's just a part of it. I don't know where you got this crazy notion that DC is bullet-land.

MBrikhofer - Thanks for the words but pleeeeeease elaborate on what you mean by my forms and lines could be stronger. I'm really trying to figure out what my next steps need to be.

Daniel_Araya on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Danny dunno if I told you this but I plan on submitting the Hamster Head 3d model I am working on to 3D World magazine. Its not going to be for another month or so. Just giving you the heads up. We can talk more about it during your woman's "i graduated and got a job" celebration (she's soooo simple). But anyway, I posted the latest renders of the Hamster Head 3d model on my blog http://bakiaparker.blogspot.com/ I finally grew some juevos and switched over to 3D Max 2010, you can see the difference in the render quality.

Btw...the tree render you did rocks my world. your self portrait makes me think you will corner me in a dark alley and teach me math.

HooBleedyHooBlah on

Wuts the next number?

My Art BLOG!!!
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    on the subject of env improvements, why don't you work on something and post it up. crits = improvement!

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Godfather: You keep saying that, DC is seriously not that rough at all. It has rough PARTS like any other city, but that's just a part of it. I don't know where you got this crazy notion that DC is bullet-land.

Are you telling me Dave Chappelle lied to me?

Godfather on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey there, Dan. Welcome to PA!

I'm really digging the stylized Star Wars characters which I generally have a soft spot for anyways. Nice renders, really nice silhouette and turn arounds on your website.

Do you still live in Washington after college? I'm currently attending DigiPen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA. There's plenty of companies that come through our door to meet with students here for animation and illustration alike. I'm not entirely sure what this information will yield, but if I can help a fellow local artist, I'd definitely be willing to lend a hand.

Again, top notch. Keep it up!

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

Are you telling me Dave Chappelle lied to me?

I live between DC and Richmond so I spend time in both cities. Richmond has much more flying bullets per square block than DC. In Virginia, you can legally wear a loaded firearm as long as it's visible. Concealed requires a permit.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, yeah, I'm in Baltimore.

i.e. Bodymore, Murdaland. Yeah, that's what I thought.

Also, I am the Biggest Fan of this thread.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Baltimore is rough. You win. I saw Divine at the 9:30 Club about a month before he died. (Sorry, but I'll always associate Baltimore with John Waters)
    Also, very nice work Daniel. Your line quality is great. I'd love to see the settings for your custom brush.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I dunno i associate b-more with dru hill and sisko...sorry.

even tho downtown b-more especially on Rt-40, roughneck area

HooBleedyHooBlah on

Wuts the next number?

My Art BLOG!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mark: I will, I'm just taking a bit of time off from art to recharge my batteries and clear my head.

GurtPerk: I live in Washington DC, not the state of Washington, if that's what you're asking. Although my sister lives out there so that would probably be a top choice of places to move. Godfather got me to seriously consider moving to Canada though.

I'd say baltimore's probably rougher than DC overall.

Guy Bell: The custom brush is simple (If you're talking about Sketchbook Pro), I just took the default pencil tool and increased the maximum width. This makes it so that when I press harder, the width of the stroke is increased.

ALSO. My roommate started designing the hamster to go into the hamster bot. http://nerfcommie.deviantart.com/art/Hamster-Pilot-146331935 . It's awesome.

Daniel_Araya on