As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TI-89 help - UPDATE - cube roots needed

jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
How do you turn off the Auto Radicals? My wife bought one used from the web and it works fine, but it displays answers only in radicals and fractions, and we can't figure out how to give us the decimals even if we want it. I skipped the whole scientific calculator thing in school, but she definately needs it.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
0/8

PS2
FF X replay

PS3
God of War 1&2 HD
Rachet and Clank Future
MGS 4
Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
Fable 3

DS
FF: 4 heroes of light
jeddy lee on

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The official TI-89 manual is available in PDF form here:
    http://education.ti.com/downloads/guidebooks/graphing/89ti/TI89TitaniumGuidebook_Part2_EN.pdf

Also, there's a TI-89 website out there:
    http://ti-89.org/faq.html

Apparently, you'll have to go to the MODE dialog box, page 2, and select DEC as your Base.

Also, you can turn Pretty Print On and Off, which may be part of your problem.

The other option is turning Exact/Approx to Auto or to Approx. Exact retains the original formatting to reduce rounding errors, but it's not helpful if you need decimal answers.

Read p 166-170 in the manual (first link) for more options.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The other option is turning Exact/Approx to Auto or to Approx. Exact retains the original formatting to reduce rounding errors, but it's not helpful if you need decimal answers.

THIS.

Or, if you want to generally retain fractions and radicals (to get exact answers) but only occasionally want decimals, you can hit the green button then the enter key (I think the relevant label on the calculator is an approx. equal sign)

ProPatriaMori on
  • finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've got a TI-89 and I've always just placed a decimal point after any whole number in the calculation, and it will give you the decimal approximation rather than the exact value. No settings to mess with!

finalflight89 on
  • .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Theres an option under mode with the three settings for this

Exact -> always gives exact answer. If it can't it will just output the input

Approximate -> always gives decimal approximation

Auto -> always gives exact answer if it can. If it can't it will give the decimal approximate

edit: woops already covered

.kbf? on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks guys.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can't find in the manuals how to do a cube root of a number other than doing 27^(1/3) which frankly is kind of a pain in the ass. I know my iPhone has a x root of y button, I'd figure a scientific calculator would too. Unfortunately she can't bring my phone into a test with her, lest I text her the answers.

jeddy lee on
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
  • ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well, there's root(number, order). Which isn't less of a pain in the ass, really. It's more of a pain in the ass. It is easier to read in the pretty print, though.

I also don't see anything in particular in catalog.

How is ^(1/3) a pain in the ass again? Honestly it seems like the right way to do it, to me. There are only so many buttons you can have on the face of a calculator, so the more flexibility you get (like with ^) the better.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well, there's root(number, order). Which isn't less of a pain in the ass, really. It's more of a pain in the ass. It is easier to read in the pretty print, though.

I also don't see anything in particular in catalog.

How is ^(1/3) a pain in the ass again? Honestly it seems like the right way to do it, to me. There are only so many buttons you can have on the face of a calculator, so the more flexibility you get (like with ^) the better.

Yeah, stick with ^(1/3), using a function to do it will be a pain in the butt.

Dark_Side on
  • .kbf?.kbf? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it the same amount of button presses either way?

edit: it's 5 for the ^ method. Assuming the xrooty button is on 2nd i guess it's be 4?

.kbf? on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can't even remember how to find the function to do it, but I know I just prefer doing it the other way because you can do it all off of keys on the calc without having to use the shift or dig into menus.

Dark_Side on