As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    World In Conflict did this story a thousand times better.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's two years old. Statute of limitations long since dead.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's two years old. Statute of limitations long since dead.

hahahahahha no

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So for the story if you had to pick one or the other just the 141 story missions or just the Rangers missions?

Personally I think the Rangers missions pale in comparison to the 141 missions. I had way more fun with 141.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i should finish the story sometime i guess. i stalled out around the mission after the stuff at burgerking. pretty bad when you cant even be assed to finish a story mode thats like 2 hours long.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I'm gonna be playing this online for the first time ever tonight on live. As a rank amateur, are there any beginner-friendly weapons I should be using first? And what maps and gametypes should I be playing on?

I'd appreciate some advice, as this is a pretty intimidating scene to be jumping into.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    World In Conflict did this story a thousand times better.

I have to say that for an RTS, they really did a good job of humanising all the main characters, especially if you got the expansion that told the Russian side of the conflict.

Well, except maybe Commander Sawyer, I thought he was a stupid character, especially in the last level.

subedii on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    So I'm gonna be playing this online for the first time ever tonight on live. As a rank amateur, are there any beginner-friendly weapons I should be using first? And what maps and gametypes should I be playing on?

I'd appreciate some advice, as this is a pretty intimidating scene to be jumping into.

The FAMAS is pretty much a broken piece of shit, so you can use that. It's unlocked at level one.

If you're patient, you can try HC TDM, but you may have issues until you get Cold-Blooded. Domination is a good mode, because you get decent points even if you aren't amazing at the game.

Otherwise, don't run around the maps like a retard until 67 when you unlock akimbo 1887s, be patient, and shoot mans.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The way MW2's multiplayer works is that when you start out you can't use anything that isn't shit, with no attachments, so that the more experienced players can dominate you even harder. It's an...odd system to the say the least.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Well, you'll only have one or two options at Level 1 anyway, so just get to it.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wait, people are raging against FAMAS now? hahaha

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Use ARs .... Profit.

As for game types I don't think that makes much difference, play what you like or get into a group with some friends.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm, so I basically have to grind up to the good shit. Ok then, I guess I can handle that. Thanks for the info and clarification.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The way MW2's multiplayer works is that when you start out you can't use anything that isn't shit, with no attachments, so that the more experienced players can dominate you even harder. It's an...odd system to the say the least.

The weapons don't really have anything to do with someone sucking. Low ranks have access to good weapons. Perks is a different story, but you've got to earn your dues, just like every other player in the game. People of higher rank had to do it too.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love when I pull some 5/1 K/D ratio and still lose on TDM because two guys went 4-19.

Really, come on.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just started playing this a few days ago, your options are kinda limited at the begining. Just get used to the maps and shooting guys, even though everyone will be higher level than you with better weapons, they still drop pretty easily.

A few things that help.

The copycat death perk you start with (or get reaaly early) lets you use the same skills/weapons as your killer once you die a few times, use this to try out different things.

Even though you can see the challenges (the things that unlock better scopes/attachments) for your weapons off the bat. You don't actually start gaining points in them till rank 4ish iirc.

Team death match is pretty simple and easy to jump in. Domination is nice as you have a good idea of where the hotspots are. Ground war or whatever on small maps is just a clusterfvk. Fun for explosives though.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Ok so I just finished the campaign, and I have a couple questions:
    First of all, it was rather cliff-hangery. Did the first Modern Warfare end on a cliffhanger? I never played it. Are the stories linked?

Secondly, we never got Makarov. Has there been any word on a sequel or DLC levels to actually finish the story? I'm kinda pissed that the game ended with the player killing Shepherd who was really more of a side-villain to me. I mean, I was glad to kill the guy that betrayed the 141, but the guy who started the war is still at large.

Thirdly, what the hell was the entire point of the Ramirez missions? I mean, nothing ended up happening...at all. I would hardly call going on the roof of the White House and popping some green flares to let the Airforce know that you're alive so they don't bomb the shit out of you a victory.

It just feels like the game ended in the wrong spot. Neither one of the main storylines had an actual end.

The first modern warfare ended with someone from SAS, soap I think fading out of conciousness after shooting the main baddie. You also thought shepard was dead at that time

Pretty much as soon as shepard got back into the main story in part 2 it just went down hill imo. This time though they left it open kinda and hinted at a sequel. Though I'm not really sure how you are going to survive being stabbed in the chest.

The first one did the same kind of thing though, showing different perspectives with no real wrap up, they also introduced the "play this character for a few missions and then they dramatically die" story twist. Which happens waaay too much in MW2 imo.
    Pretty sure you're confusing Sherpard w/ Price, who was in MW and thought to be dead at the end.
    That actually reminds me of another question I had regarding Price. So he was the guy that Makarov had a "mad on" for that we were supposed to be getting in order to lure him out or something. But nothing ever came of that. The story moved from needing some bait to knowing where his two safehouses were with practically no time in between.

I loved the intense action and the scripting on each level was flawlessly executed. But I feel like the s tory has a whole lot of holes in it, and it just wasn't a very satisfying experience as far as a cohesive plot is concerned. I mean, I still loved it just because of the action. But it could have been so much more if they would've reworked the ending and filled in some of the plot holes.
    I'm assuming Makarov wanted Price because he was involved with killing his mentor Zakhaev in MW1, although why he also doesn't seem to have such a hard-on for Soap too doesn't really make any sense. That plan all goes by the wayside anyway when Price takes 141 out on his own to do the bit with the nuclear sub.

Regarding the comments about the last Ranger mission, if you look around after you pop the flares and the jets fly over, there are green flares up all over the city. This fact coupled with the other Rangers' dialogue about burning down Moscow heavily implies that the Russian invasion has been mostly repulsed, at least from the DC area.

The story would be a lot easier to follow if it didn't rely so heavily on implying things instead of just stating them, and featuring a lot of story exposition during moments when the player is much more focused on shooting mans rather than reading subtitles or listening to dialogue hidden in the mix under gunfire and explosions.

Do we have to spoiler MW1? FFF
    Soap was the one that killed Zakhaev. Price merely shot his arm off with the BARRIT FIDDY COW.
    This really begs the question now of how the fuck Price got in the hands of the Russians anyway. The most plausible explanation is that Price survived and got captured sometime between MW1->MW2, but that makes you wonder why he hadn't been bargained/traded for. I suspect now that Soap did in fact know that Price was the guy in the Gulag?

Also, I don't fully get Price EMP'ing America. I guess the point was to disable radio commo for the Russians, "stranding" them in America (while the US troops could have a home field advantage, I guess?).

I also hated the Brazil missions, by the way. They were not only rather unenjoyable, but I never understood what I was doing there or why.

Finally, lol @ the nuke creating a pressure wave that destroys the ISS. In space.

Anywho, agree 100x with the story problems. I found the American campaign way more fun than the SAS in this one, if only for the novel locations, but the story really sucked.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    4-19 is pretty insane bad if you aren't trying some outlandish challenge... and even if you are why aren't you in ffa or an objective game where maybe you aren't screwing the team.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I love when I pull some 5/1 K/D ratio and still lose on TDM because two guys went 4-19.

Really, come on.

haha, that sounds like me. the 4-19, not the 5-1.

though i did have my best ever round the other night. i went like 30-10, somewhere in there. i got dumped midround into a horrible beating in domination, and it ended up like 200-100 and it was me and 1 other guy on my team. but i was taking some dudes out along the way, anyway.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    4-19 is pretty insane bad if you aren't trying some outlandish challenge... and even if you are why aren't you in ffa or an objective game where maybe you aren't screwing the team.

Or, maybe they were new? Or just having a bad game?

Last night I went like 7-26. I was doing my damndest, but just couldn't get kills. Dems de breaks.

Not everyone scores a 4KD every game :P

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Ok so I just finished the campaign, and I have a couple questions:
    First of all, it was rather cliff-hangery. Did the first Modern Warfare end on a cliffhanger? I never played it. Are the stories linked?

Secondly, we never got Makarov. Has there been any word on a sequel or DLC levels to actually finish the story? I'm kinda pissed that the game ended with the player killing Shepherd who was really more of a side-villain to me. I mean, I was glad to kill the guy that betrayed the 141, but the guy who started the war is still at large.

Thirdly, what the hell was the entire point of the Ramirez missions? I mean, nothing ended up happening...at all. I would hardly call going on the roof of the White House and popping some green flares to let the Airforce know that you're alive so they don't bomb the shit out of you a victory.

It just feels like the game ended in the wrong spot. Neither one of the main storylines had an actual end.

The first modern warfare ended with someone from SAS, soap I think fading out of conciousness after shooting the main baddie. You also thought shepard was dead at that time

Pretty much as soon as shepard got back into the main story in part 2 it just went down hill imo. This time though they left it open kinda and hinted at a sequel. Though I'm not really sure how you are going to survive being stabbed in the chest.

The first one did the same kind of thing though, showing different perspectives with no real wrap up, they also introduced the "play this character for a few missions and then they dramatically die" story twist. Which happens waaay too much in MW2 imo.
    Pretty sure you're confusing Sherpard w/ Price, who was in MW and thought to be dead at the end.
    That actually reminds me of another question I had regarding Price. So he was the guy that Makarov had a "mad on" for that we were supposed to be getting in order to lure him out or something. But nothing ever came of that. The story moved from needing some bait to knowing where his two safehouses were with practically no time in between.

I loved the intense action and the scripting on each level was flawlessly executed. But I feel like the s tory has a whole lot of holes in it, and it just wasn't a very satisfying experience as far as a cohesive plot is concerned. I mean, I still loved it just because of the action. But it could have been so much more if they would've reworked the ending and filled in some of the plot holes.
    I'm assuming Makarov wanted Price because he was involved with killing his mentor Zakhaev in MW1, although why he also doesn't seem to have such a hard-on for Soap too doesn't really make any sense. That plan all goes by the wayside anyway when Price takes 141 out on his own to do the bit with the nuclear sub.

Regarding the comments about the last Ranger mission, if you look around after you pop the flares and the jets fly over, there are green flares up all over the city. This fact coupled with the other Rangers' dialogue about burning down Moscow heavily implies that the Russian invasion has been mostly repulsed, at least from the DC area.

The story would be a lot easier to follow if it didn't rely so heavily on implying things instead of just stating them, and featuring a lot of story exposition during moments when the player is much more focused on shooting mans rather than reading subtitles or listening to dialogue hidden in the mix under gunfire and explosions.

Do we have to spoiler MW1? FFF
    Soap was the one that killed Zakhaev. Price merely shot his arm off with the BARRIT FIDDY COW.

I know. That's why I said it doesn't make sense that Makarov would have such a hard-on for Price and not Soap, too. Just one of many plot holes.

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This really begs the question now of how the fuck Price got in the hands of the Russians anyway. The most plausible explanation is that Price survived and got captured sometime between MW1->MW2, but that makes you wonder why he hadn't been bargained/traded for. I suspect now that Soap did in fact know that Price was the guy in the Gulag?

Also, I don't fully get Price EMP'ing America. I guess the point was to disable radio commo for the Russians, "stranding" them in America (while the US troops could have a home field advantage, I guess?).

I also hated the Brazil missions, by the way. They were not only rather unenjoyable, but I never understood what I was doing there or why.

Finally, lol @ the nuke creating a pressure wave that destroys the ISS. In space.

Anywho, agree 100x with the story problems. I found the American campaign way more fun than the SAS in this one, if only for the novel locations, but the story really sucked.

><
    Did you not notice that everything in there air fell from the sky? All of that russian tech was useless after the EMP hit. Once the nuke went off in the upper atmosphere, EVERYTHING STOPPED. Helicopters, Jets, tanks, everything. Even laser sights. The only way for the Russians to get anything back into the DC area was over ALOT of Land and Ocean. Anything America needed was just a few dozen miles away.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Last night I went like 7-26. I was doing my damndest, but just couldn't get kills. Dems de breaks.

Try my Animal Mother build on the first page of this thread. It seems to work wonders when I'm just pissed off, running around a map going completely apeshit while asking people if they're a photographer.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    People have to start out somewhere on everything including games. Instead of bitching at people for 4-19 k/d you should bitch at IW for not having a match making system that pairs new players with other new players.

and then bitch later that people game the system so they can beat up on new players.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    slurpeekillaslurpeekilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »

><
    Did you not notice that everything in there air fell from the sky? All of that russian tech was useless after the EMP hit. Once the nuke went off in the upper atmosphere, EVERYTHING STOPPED. Helicopters, Jets, tanks, everything. Even laser sights. The only way for the Russians to get anything back into the DC area was over ALOT of Land and Ocean. Anything America needed was just a few dozen miles away.
    This, and the fact that the advantage in air and satellite superiority the Russians had gained by cracking the ACR module was nullified.

slurpeekilla on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

For both COD4 and MW2, I've never had anyone on my friends list pull over a 2/1 KD ratio, and I've had some damn good people on my list. For all the 30-2 matches we pull, we have some where we seriously tank. It's just the law of averages.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

For both COD4 and MW2, I've never had anyone on my friends list pull over a 2/1 KD ratio, and I've had some damn good people on my list. For all the 30-2 matches we pull, we have some where we seriously tank. It's just the law of averages.

Yea I had 2 awesome games last night of 49-11 and 26-5 and then some ok ones and one terrible one where I did something like 7-15.

Once I get a predator missle its cake to just roll one killstreak into another and then have some ridiculous K/D.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I committed genocide on a team earlier today going something like 48-5-13. The RPD is just so easy to go nuts with.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I hate that damn law of averages. I want to go 3:1 every goddamn time damnit.

Although it is nice to know that after a stomping and going 2-20 that next round you could go 20-2.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    man its really frustrating to get loaded into a game in progress like 20 seconds before it ends in your teams brutal loss. why even put me into a game that close to ending matchmaking? ive literally loaded into a game and had it go straight to the end scoreboard.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I hate that damn law of averages. I want to go 3:1 every goddamn time damnit.

Although it is nice to know that after a stomping and going 2-20 that next round you could go 20-2.

Only if you leave the server you are on because you just got raped by an entire clan of people who have prestiged and are now at the same level or higher than you are.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    man its really frustrating to get loaded into a game in progress like 20 seconds before it ends in your teams brutal loss. why even put me into a game that close to ending matchmaking? ive literally loaded into a game and had it go straight to the end scoreboard.

I've been dropped in, spawned, ran about 5 feet and got blasted to the face and was the game winning kill.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I've been dropped in, spawned, ran about 5 feet and got blasted to the face and was the game winning kill.

Yeah, once I dropped into a game for about 10 seconds. Ended with a 0-1 and when I get back to the lobby some jackass calls me out and tells me I suck at the game. Next round I ended with highest score and the little bitch left the lobby.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AUG for me. I love the RPD, but the AUG matches my playstyle better.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Once in HC I spawned and there was an enemy sitting there staring at me about 10 feet away and killed me in under a second.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

Arr. Pee. Dee. When you positively have to kill every mothafucka in the room, accept no substitute.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

AUG

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

AUG

M16 w/ SP.
    ok I'll play fair. Go AUG.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

AUG

I gotta go AUG. If I was playing a mode without respawns the sort of volume the RPD can put out would be great as a supressive fire weapon, but with respawns, accuracy > volume.

SammyF on