As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: Patch 1.06 Tomorrow! (NSF56K)

• Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I hate that damn law of averages. I want to go 3:1 every goddamn time damnit.

Although it is nice to know that after a stomping and going 2-20 that next round you could go 20-2.

Only if you leave the server you are on because you just got raped by an entire clan of people who have prestiged and are now at the same level or higher than you are.

That would be the logical way of thinking, but often it doesn't turn out that way

And RPD for life yo!

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hate that damn law of averages. I want to go 3:1 every goddamn time damnit.

Although it is nice to know that after a stomping and going 2-20 that next round you could go 20-2.

Only if you leave the server you are on because you just got raped by an entire clan of people who have prestiged and are now at the same level or higher than you are.

That would be the logical way of thinking, but often it doesn't turn out that way

And RPD for life yo!

I knew I could count on you. RPD buddies!

RocketSauce on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    steyr aug is an ugly piece of shit

RPD is a rusky weapon

the onlt acceptable LMG's are ameriguns

Nuzak on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh man, the strategy of camping the walkway in the building on Scrapyard has never worked so well for me as earlier today. That was intense.

I'm going to jump on now for some multiplayer, but if anyone fancies some
    SpecOps I am totally down for that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Am I the only one that isn't really bothered by explosives anymore? Even though the tubes are a lot better now (since you can use scavenger) I just don't find them anywhere near as aggravating as I did in CoD4.

Edit: AUG all the way. The RPD doesn't do enough damage for how inaccurate it is. I can't put my finger on it, but in MW1 it was essentially a sniper rifle with iron sights and a 100-round magazine, and now it just isn't. The AUG, on the other hand, is super goddamn accurate, reloads quickly, and has perfect sights, so I can use scavenger instead of bling.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    This really begs the question now of how the fuck Price got in the hands of the Russians anyway. The most plausible explanation is that Price survived and got captured sometime between MW1->MW2, but that makes you wonder why he hadn't been bargained/traded for. I suspect now that Soap did in fact know that Price was the guy in the Gulag?

Also, I don't fully get Price EMP'ing America. I guess the point was to disable radio commo for the Russians, "stranding" them in America (while the US troops could have a home field advantage, I guess?).

I also hated the Brazil missions, by the way. They were not only rather unenjoyable, but I never understood what I was doing there or why.

Finally, lol @ the nuke creating a pressure wave that destroys the ISS. In space.

Anywho, agree 100x with the story problems. I found the American campaign way more fun than the SAS in this one, if only for the novel locations, but the story really sucked.

><
    Did you not notice that everything in there air fell from the sky? All of that russian tech was useless after the EMP hit. Once the nuke went off in the upper atmosphere, EVERYTHING STOPPED. Helicopters, Jets, tanks, everything. Even laser sights. The only way for the Russians to get anything back into the DC area was over ALOT of Land and Ocean. Anything America needed was just a few dozen miles away.
    This, and the fact that the advantage in air and satellite superiority the Russians had gained by cracking the ACR module was nullified.

That makes much more sense, thanks. I'd totally forgotten about the steel rain.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're wanting to play with the 360 regulars, you need to be a little more aggressive than tossing your gamertag out there and hoping we take the time to type it into a message and invite you.

ROFL. Oh, I only threw it in there in case someone was curious. I already friended the clan tags here at work. I aim to be active.

I tend to host a lot or be in games with a lot of our regulars. Gamertag is WolfSlap.

That match I joined before you got off earlier the entire team was like, "Man, that Wolfslap is too good! I can't get anywhere near him. He keeps killing me at B." I kindly told them you were a girl with giant breasts and a huge ass of which I think they all believed simply by you being on my friends list.

joshgotro on
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh god the M93 Raffica is amazing!

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

AUG

I gotta go AUG. If I was playing a mode without respawns the sort of volume the RPD can put out would be great as a supressive fire weapon, but with respawns, accuracy > volume.

The M240 disagrees

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2009
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

AUG

I gotta go AUG. If I was playing a mode without respawns the sort of volume the RPD can put out would be great as a supressive fire weapon, but with respawns, accuracy > volume.

The M240 disagrees

The M240 is the Mitt Romney of this discussion.

joshgotro on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

AUG

The M240 disagrees

The M240 is fantastic.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

AUG

The M240 disagrees

The M240 is fantastic.

Definitely but like Mitt no ones talking about it.

joshgotro on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What does the F2000 do better than other rifles? Anything? It seems kinda bad to me.

It's no ACR, that's for sure.

Endomatic on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    What does the F2000 do better than other rifles? Anything? It seems kinda bad to me.

It's no ACR, that's for sure.

SMG with AR attachments.

It's pretty much terrible.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jesus almighty god this game pisses me off . Also sorry to those who sent me invites , I was already in a party.

EspantaPajaro on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ugh, it took me 5 games to get in one where someone wasn't spraying headshots and dropping nukes. I've never seen a nuke until today and now I've seen like 50

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RPD. This gun was my BFF in CoD4, so why not use it? Throw in a grip and FMJ, and people die. Usually through walls, other people, cars....
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

EtherealWalrus on
  • hdentonhdenton Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RPD. This gun was my BFF in CoD4, so why not use it? Throw in a grip and FMJ, and people die. Usually through walls, other people, cars....

I had a BS moment due to this when I was walking up a set of stairs and tried killing someone through a wooden hand rail only to find my bullets could not penetrate the wood or the gaps in the wood. I died soon after when he finally turned and hit me in the face with a grenade launcher.

hdenton on
    I'm in your bags taking your waters!
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.

Shade on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This made me lol way too hard. Sigg'd.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a fan of the M249 because it was my friend in COD4.

also, good games people I played with tonight.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My favorite build on Underpass (a level I hate to play with my usual ACR build):

Any Sniper Rifle (for the ghillie)
    Any Pistol w/Tactical Knife (to gut dudes)
    Smoke Grenade
    Throwing Knife
    Marathon
    Cold-Blooded
    Ninja

Now, I know what you're thinking - basically all I'm doing is running around knifing, right? Not really, or I'd use Lightweight and Commando.

The thing is on Underpass there are a lot of little corners with bushes in them in areas with moderate foot traffic. Use the ghillie suit and crouch or lay in a bush and you're almost completely invisible with all the stealth perks. As soon as you see someone run past, lunge out and eviscerate them. Then hide in a different bush close by so that when they inevitably come back to investigate, you lunge from that bush and butcher them again.

It plays like a badass stealth ninja. I've gone 20-0 with this (with the help of an AC130 of course). Literally the only time I die like this is when a guy runs past and I gut him only to be shot in the back by his buddy that was tailing him. This is the true knife build, the way it was supposed to be.

hjparcins on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hjparcins wrote: »
    My favorite build on Underpass (a level I hate to play with my usual ACR build):

Any Sniper Rifle (for the ghillie)
    Any Pistol w/Tactical Knife (to gut dudes)
    Smoke Grenade
    Throwing Knife
    Marathon
    Cold-Blooded
    Ninja

Now, I know what you're thinking - basically all I'm doing is running around knifing, right? Not really, or I'd use Lightweight and Commando.

The thing is on Underpass there are a lot of little corners with bushes in them in areas with moderate foot traffic. Use the ghillie suit and crouch or lay in a bush and you're almost completely invisible with all the stealth perks. As soon as you see someone run past, lunge out and eviscerate them. Then hide in a different bush close by so that when they inevitably come back to investigate, you lunge from that bush and butcher them again.

It plays like a badass stealth ninja. I've gone 20-0 with this (with the help of an AC130 of course). Literally the only time I die like this is when a guy runs past and I gut him only to be shot in the back by his buddy that was tailing him. This is the true knife build, the way it was supposed to be.

Thats the build I usually use in standard DM. Just because everyone trusts their radar too much.

Shade on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love kids that rage when their air support gets ripped apart by Harriers. Especially when they keep calling it in.

For those amused by torrents of this drivel:
    "Hey faggot, who shot down my chopper? You? You're a fucking shitlipped dick...fucking Æsir? What the fuck does that mean? Wait, I think it means you like-" *Muted* The pot-related callsigns really are a handy guide for fast-muting.

Mechanical on
  • RedcatRedcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    RPD vs AUG.

Go.

The AUG is what the other guns want to be when they grow up.

Redcat on
    360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can't stand the M240.

You can't burst fire with, it simply doesn't do enough damage per burst often taking three to four bursts to kill someone. You will be shot down. You can spray with it, but you'll be blinded by the muzzle flash at any appreciable range and incredibly inaccurate unless you're using a silencer. A silencer/grip can keep you accurate and able to see but then you're pretty much screwed for ammo; as you cannot scavenge or one-man-army (which is actually sort of neat with the gun, it is faster to use one-man-army pro than reload.) The M240 simply devours ammunition.

I'd really like a good fast firing machine gun but I simply cannot make the M240 work. The LSW or whatever seems so much better as you don't sacrifice damage and can use things like burst or spray pretty well.

I'll throw my hat in with the RPD; however I have the mastery for both of them. They're both damn fine weapons; but if you want an LMG, go with the RPD. The AUG HBAR feels like an assault rifle with extended mags. It's powerful, but it sort of strays out of the LMG feel.

Corp.Shephard on
    edited December 2009
    LMG stuff.

You should be using the M249, you know...
    Sorry.

Mechanical on
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i'm becoming convinced that hardcore is a better way to play mw2. i didn't hc much in mw1, but mw2 is more of an action game than "modern warfare"

so to tone down the "action" / hollywood blockbuster explosion-fest that mw2 has become, hc is a nice change of pace. it doesn't go +100 kill, +50 payback!, +50 buzzkill!, etc. aesthetically, i appreciate that the screen isn't covered with your experience bar, weapon ammo, who just called in a pavelow, etc.

with hc, any weapon is good, so you don't need to use stopping power. most weapons kill almost instantly, so you don't need to spray ACR for a few seconds. all my non-hc builds use stopping power. all my hc builds use cold-blooded, which is fun.

the obvious downside is that hc has a lot more camping, and is much less practical for the run and gun playstyle that i'm used to. i've heard complaints on this forum that people shoot you and take your killstreak rewards - which is just messed up. i think putting ricochet (your friendly fire comes back to you) in hc tdm would help.

in non-hc mw2, i've played primarily tdm and ground war (tdm and domination). demolition is a fun mode too.

xta on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HC is too frustrating to play for me. I used to play it exclusively in MW1, but that was because Juggernaut existed. In MW2 I can kill a guy with two bullets already, and it's a huge pain in the ass playing a map like Wasteland where the other team has every field covered by 2 snipers with supressors in HC. It also makes riot shields nigh-useless, since getting shot in the toe causes your heart to explode like a grenade.

BlueDestiny on
  • glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I ran into... Drakieon (sp?) today, and it inspired me to finally send an invite to PA MW2. I can't take it anymore.

glithert on
  • nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    OK, stupid single player questions. Loved the campaign, at least once I got through all the Rio and Virgina missions - I was getting really tired of "shoot ten guys, walk ten feet, listen to someone tell you to hurry up, repeat." Realism and all that stuff be damned, I welcome the action-movie cliches and I thought it was badass.

Do you get anything for finding all the laptops? Is there a good way to do it other than just looking them all up?
    Is 100% completion all laptops and all missions on veteran?
    Do you get anything for
    killing everyone in the museum?
    Is there a "right way" to do
    Makarov's safehouse? That thing was a bitch and the voice comms keep making it sound like you should go outside, scout around, come back, etc. I was having trouble until I just posted up between a couple couches by the computer and shot fools.

Edit: Oh yeah, and since I got through some of the spec ops with a friend, I was totally expecting Juggernauts to pop up in the campaign and be a minor story item somewhere: "specially developed armor suits, thousands of hours of research" or somesuch, but I never remember seeing them or hearing about them at all. Did they appear in campaign at all?

nlawalker on
    edited December 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    Is 100% completion all laptops and all missions on veteran?
    Yes. For the laptops, I think I'll haveto use a guide - there's one that's eluding me on the first goddamn level, where they're impossible to miss.
    Is there a "right way" to do
    Makarov's safehouse? That thing was a bitch and the voice comms keep making it sound like you should go outside, scout around, come back, etc. I was having trouble until I just posted up between a couple couches by the computer and shot fools.
    You're supposed to run around setting up claymores along the path, etc., but I always had to fall back to the house. I don't see how you could do that on anything higher than Regular. On Veteran I just sat in the bathroom at the top of the stairs, set claymores around the doorways, and waited.

Juggernauts only appear on the after-credits mission, and having not played SpecOps, I was really confused by these guys in suits showing up all of a sudden.

Willeth on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Finally settled on my "go to" build, which for whatever reason makes me play like an all-star: Bling Pro, Stopping Power Pro, Commando Pro, M16 w/ silencer & holo scope, C4.

Michael H on
    edited December 2009
    I had a guy on my team earlier tonight chase me around, meleeing pointlessly, calling me names and getting in the way for 'stealing my care package'.

The care package that he'd dropped in the exact centre of Skidrow and had died trying to collect, and that I was amazed I was able to pick up without the same thing happening. The care package that he got an XP bonus for me picking up, and that won us the match (as well as netting me the 'call in five Harriers' bonus).

What a prick.

Oh, also, I remember someone asking in the previous thread how to get the Grassy Knoll title. I got it early tonight, and I'm pretty sure it was for getting 30 headshots with the Barrett sniper.

Willeth on
    edited December 2009
    I think it's for spending the most time prone, actually. I dunno, but it's not tied to the Light Fifty.

Mechanical on
    edited December 2009
    I've got the Grassy Knoll medal before, which is most time prone. But I got the title after quitting a match halfway through, when the only thing I'd really done was get a few kills and have that sting pop up.

I imagine it'll be for x number of headshots with any sniper, but that was the one I got it with.

Willeth on
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, maybe just the Sniper Expert challenge.

Mechanical on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the mastodon callsign unlocked

now i am complete

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sorry I didn't accept your invites Wolfslap I was playing with some friends that were new to the game and im fairly sure you don't speak Spanish =/

EspantaPajaro on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    glithert wrote: »
    I ran into... Drakieon (sp?) today, and it inspired me to finally send an invite to PA MW2. I can't take it anymore.

Oh hey, I knew I recognized your name, just couldnt place the avatar on the forums.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon