As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]tur'gha Pargon Pargon

1505152535456»

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The hotel was really freaky! Never actually finished Bloodlines...finals got in the way and then just never got round to it...

BobCesca on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bloodlines is pretty much consistently good right up until the end.

Unlike a few RPGs, I can't really see anyone liking some missions but then getting bored of it before the very last level.

Janson on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I gave up, playing through every game I buy, a long time ago.

But I guess I could play Bloodlines again... not a bad idea. :)

Haphazard on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    Elkamil wrote: »
    The KotORs are some of the small number of RPGs I've managed to finish.

I wouldn't mind a sequel to Jade Empire, too.

Jade Empire was better in retrospect

At the time that I was playing it, all I could see were the similarities to their previous games

But two years later, scenes from the game keep cropping up in my head and I think how satisfying they were. Plus the romances had a kiss! I'm looking forward to the PC version.
    Yeah Jade Empire was a pretty great game all things considered. It actually had somewhat reactive and flexible combat, fun minigames, a continuous and well-paced plot, a fair amount of character customization, interesting world, fun sidequests, OCD collection elements, interesting enough secondary characters, a sense of self-deprecation and fun. I remember playing it through solidly and exclusively over a couple of weeks. Actually, in retrospect, it was pretty fucking awesome.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    BobCesca wrote: »
    sometimes I wonder why the hell I'm doing postgrad and didn't just walk into any number of high-paying jobs when I graduated...my brain has actually turned to mush...stupid ancient Greeks, why couldn't they just use English!
    Man with a saleable skill like Ancient Greek, you could make a killing on the Byzantine resin market!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Elkamil wrote: »
    The KotORs are some of the small number of RPGs I've managed to finish.

I wouldn't mind a sequel to Jade Empire, too.

Jade Empire was better in retrospect

At the time that I was playing it, all I could see were the similarities to their previous games

But two years later, scenes from the game keep cropping up in my head and I think how satisfying they were. Plus the romances had a kiss! I'm looking forward to the PC version.
    Yeah Jade Empire was a pretty great game all things considered. It actually had somewhat reactive and flexible combat, fun minigames, a continuous and well-paced plot, a fair amount of character customization, interesting world, fun sidequests, OCD collection elements, interesting enough secondary characters, a sense of self-deprecation and fun. I remember playing it through solidly and exclusively over a couple of weeks. Actually, in retrospect, it was pretty fucking awesome.

I thought the combat of that game was stupid easy. Otherwise, the everything else is great.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Joe Biden does things that make me like him even more:

http://www.headtohead08.com

Shinto on
    edited April 2007
    I thought the combat of that game [Jade Empire] was stupid easy. Otherwise, the everything else is great.
    Yeah I seem to remember a few broken combos. I think the real problem with it is that I played it so obsessively to completion that all I really remember is kind of a blur.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I gave up, playing through every game I buy, a long time ago.

But I guess I could play Bloodlines again... not a bad idea. :)

Bloodlines was even the answer to the first help thread I was able to solve, the other day

Janson on
    edited April 2007
    Jade Empire? I gave up somewhere in the big city. Maybe I should buy the PC version and try again. It was really good , but I guess I was distracted by something else.

Haphazard on
    edited April 2007
    sometimes I wonder why the hell I'm doing postgrad and didn't just walk into any number of high-paying jobs when I graduated...my brain has actually turned to mush...stupid ancient Greeks, why couldn't they just use English!
    Man with a saleable skill like Ancient Greek, you could make a killing on the Byzantine resin market!

and, for some unknown reason, accountancy...those big firms seem to love Classics degrees...somehow Latin and Greek don't immediately bring finance to mind, but it would have been a lot of cash...

BobCesca on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mornin' Shinto.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

and, for some unknown reason, accountancy...those big firms seem to love Classics degrees...somehow Latin and Greek don't immediately bring finance to mind, but it would have been a lot of cash...

Wait, what firms? As a classics major, I would like a job!

Fencingsax on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    celery77 wrote: »
    The SW thread is reminding me of how good the KotOR games are

I hope they'll make a third
    Oh hell no -- those games were hot garbage. Their popularity honestly befuddles me.
    Do you just not like RPGs?
    No I like a lot of RPGs, I just thought the KoTOR series had a bad story, bad graphics, and a terrible fighting system.

The Green Eyed Monster on
    edited April 2007
    I suspect a British Old-Boy-Classical-Education club plot. They'd probably groom you as "their man in Scotland".

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Oh hell no -- those games were hot garbage. Their popularity honestly befuddles me.
    No I like a lot of RPGs, I just thought the KoTOR series had a bad story, bad graphics, and a terrible fighting system.

I also heard that the second one's ending was neutered.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2007

What RPGs do you like?

Janson on
    edited April 2007
    Yes, it was, Sax.

It was all like "Whut? O_o".

Haphazard on
    edited April 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Wait, what firms? As a classics major, I would like a job!

Generally the big London stuff like KMPG and the big PR firms (as well as, of course, the civil service) seem to quite like Classics graduates for their graduate-programs...apparently the ability to think critically about 2000 years ago gives you some unique transferable skills or something. But actually I think academia is for me, nothing like getting paid for something you enjoy doing (most of the time, and when you get to actually do your own stuff rather than going through the little hoops in order to get into a PhD)

BobCesca on
    edited April 2007

Granted the turn-based fighting system was kind of love-it or hate-it, but I thought that, relative to pretty much every other RPG out there, the story grouped with the flexibility was solid and ahead of its time. The character models were ugly though, agreed. And KOTOR2 didn't have an ending.

What RPG did it better?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2007
    I also heard that the second one's [KOTOR 2] ending was neutered.
    It was. They clearly ran out of money and time.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited April 2007
    Thanks Drez, I was contemplating saying something similar

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2007
    Biden's got some balls.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited April 2007
    Biden's got some balls.
    He'll need them cuz he ain't got no money.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks Drez, I was contemplating saying something similar

Np.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited April 2007
    Biden's got some balls.
    He'll need them cuz he ain't got no money.

Yeah, that was my second thought.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007

No lie. Fucking swords that could block light sabers. What's the fucking point of that? Just straight up retarded. And the story was so damned predictable.

Dynagrip on
    edited April 2007
    Still, best dialoge in a RPG was in Fallout (the first one I think).

When your character was half witted or nearly braindead you could have a very nice chat with a village idiot. :P

Haphazard on
    edited April 2007
    I need to play the Fallout games

sitting at home

still in cellophane

Janson on
    edited April 2007
    :o

I played the hell out of both of them.

Haphazard on
    edited April 2007
    What about BG2, Hap

Janson on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm definitely debating a sudden doctor's appointment I had forgotten about coming up, so that I'll have to leave work early.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited April 2007
    What about BG2, Hap

Baldurs Gate 2? Yep, multiple times.

Haphazard on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've liked the Final Fantasys, and I played the hell out of Disgaea and I have La Pucelle although I haven't really played through that. I beat Tales of Symphonia and I'm on my second play through. I'm at the last battle in Skies of Arcadia, among others. So basically I like JRPGs and tactical RPGs with art and characters I like.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The Alanis Morisette version of "My Humps" is genius.

skippydumptruck on
    edited April 2007
    I´m not a big fan of JRPGs.

We´re even, cel. ;-)

Haphazard on
    edited April 2007

I never realized the lyrics were quite so horrendous and sexist.

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2007
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I´m not a big fan of JRPGs.

We´re even, cel. ;-)

Second'd

No wait, FF games are, in general, appalling. He has no right to like them and then complain about KotOR's story.

Janson on
    edited April 2007

and yet quite disturbing...

BobCesca on
    edited April 2007
    I've liked the Final Fantasys, and I played the hell out of Disgaea and I have La Pucelle although I haven't really played through that. I beat Tales of Symphonia and I'm on my second play through. I'm at the last battle in Skies of Arcadia, among others. So basically I like JRPGs and tactical RPGs with art and characters I like.
    I liked Tales of Symphonia, FFVII and Skies of Arcadia. I do get the feeling that I'm doing the same damned thing every time I play a JRPG, but I still enjoy them. I guess I was raised on the old-school Ultimas and Wizardys, so I'm always happy when western RPGs do something innovative or ambitious.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.