As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW - 12/03/09 - Hail Doom.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I for one welcome scanned pages of comics and look down my nose at those who think differently. Can you feel the look yet?

Thor's ending for Motw, but only due to it being the only comic I've picked up this week due to ... circumstances :P

Caveman Paws on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    And Servo said half the issue or less was cool. If you felt it necessary.

The fight between Noh-Varr and Sentry in DA:A was good as was his side plot but his new costume is terrible.

In this What-If what was actually happening? Were they really themselves or replaced by Skrulls? I don't get how that was working, not up on my Skrull.

DarkWarrior on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    My MotW is tied between FALL OF THE HULKS:ALPHA and the two hours I just spent watching Jersey Shore.

I thought you were joking but its actually really good. It at least explains how something like the
    Red Hulk could come about rather than an actual, intentional implementation by the US government. Not to keen on them being behind the ressurection of characters or that combined none of them prepared for the inevitable betrayal by Doom.

DarkWarrior on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Regarding USM's jab at Flash Rebirth: aren't Bendis and Johns friends? Maybe he's just poking fun at his friend?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone else read X-Force Annual? The Deadpool story was hilarious. "To me, my guns" or "He fell into my sword" or Deadpool's confusion over Magneto being on the X-Men "even after that %^&$ with Jean Grey" (you know, killing her and all) and, well, just about everything from that story. I had to put the book down at one point while reading it.

Scans;

xforceannual1letsgetthe.jpg

Deadpool then calls up Cyclops after that to let him know Magneto is telling people he's an X-men. Cyke tells him to just help stop the invaders and not to kill anyone.

xforceannual1hefellinto.jpg

He tried really hard not to.

xforceannual1tomemyguns.jpg

There was a great splashpage showing off teh guns, too. He got out the heavy artillery when he found out the guys couldnt die.

xforceannual1loahasseri.jpg

Loa's power is to "swim through solid matter, causing it to crumble". Deadpool said they couldn't die, so she saved him by jumping through one of the undead Acolytes. He didnt' get back up. Deadpool is sympathetic.

KVW on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ahahah that is wonderful. I am going to buy that during lunch today.

Langly on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Wolverine story in the X-Force annual wasn't bad, either.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • MisterBibsMisterBibs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is that a giant-ass bomb on his back in that scene?

I know I was told to follow Deadpool in Merc With A Mouth, but I think I have to keep reading this series too. Jesus wept...

MisterBibs on

kolforumsigpa.gif
    Furu wrote:
    I like that Atrocitus genuinely wants to help save the universe...In the angriest manner possible.
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm just going to focus on Thor #604 because, quite frankly, it's an excellent book and I needed to read something exciting and just enjoyable. That's the key. I enjoyed the Hell out of this book.

First off, let me just say that Kieron is far and away my favorite writer right now. There is nothing of his that I've read (the SI aftermath Beta Ray Bill one-shot and the BRB: Godhunter mini) or am currently reading (Phonogram, Ares, Thor) that I don't enjoy reading and look forward to reading. I honestly can't say that about anyone else.

I've had high hopes for Kieron's run (short as it is supposed to be) on Thor just based on the BRB mini, but especially now after having read his Ares mini. But I wasn't halfway through this issue when I realized that I was enjoying this book more than any issue JMS wrote (or any other Thor so far as I can remember, which may not be saying much for my memory). I don't want to compare this to Straczynski's material, but the tone is clearly Kieron's to stand on its own--which is a pretty awesome feat following someone of JMS's considerable (and deserved) reputation and given that his run is vastly different (and better) than what I remember of Thor in the '80s and early '90s.

I know, because this was before I all but stopped the comic news sites, that Kieron said that he was going to go his way and didn't speak with JMS on what he was planning, so that whatever happens in this issue is basically Kieron's own decision. And right off the bat with Kelda's confrontation and death at the hands of an Asgardian cyberzombie establishes a timeworm truism: Don't mess with Dr. Doom because unless you're Reed Richards he is smarter than you and will eff you up. Doesn't matter who you are.

Anyway, one of the reasons I just love reading Kieron's books is because of the dialogue. I love humor, and he's very good incorporating it into his stories and it feels very natural. Donald and Jane's conversation is just wonderful. I love how she calls him an idiot and it sounds so obvious (again, I think all super heroes are pretty stupid) but good-natured because she loves and yet his life has been comprised of him doing a lot of stupid stuff.

Of course, the cool thing about it isn't just the witty dialogue, but that at the same time the plot actually moves forward. And, wow, that's something that's been driving me crazy lately. So I'm glad to see that given the limited amount of issues at hand, the book has to move to whatever conclusion comes of this conflict relatively quickly.

I've kissed Kieron's ass plenty. And I guess part of that is because Billy Tan's art is good. It doesn't help that last week's issue was pencilled by Marko, who I love and I especially love to see pencilling Thor. One of the things that I think is that Tan's pencils aren't inked very well, whereas Marko and his wife (who I believe is still mainly an inker) heavily inks his pencils (though he did have help with Giant-Sized Finale). I assume it's because like a lot of painterly pencilers I like he came up through the ranks to comics from, among other things, RPGs--and those books are in black & white/grayscale. So the guys who do the best work really know their stuff when it comes to inking. Billy Tan's inker... doesn't. Well, it's not as heavy. It's not as expressive on its own. And the coloring works. The pencils are too rough, and the inking doesn't help. But at the same time, the art works in projecting that medieval style of Asgard and Latveria and generally as far as layout, framing and so forth.. It works. That last page is just awesome.

In conclusion, I loved this issue. It's a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Crimsondude on
    edited December 2009
    Man, that Deadpool story looks fantastic. Who's the writer, Way? Because that dude knows how the fuck to write a Deadpool story.

Also, thanks for the review on Thor, Crimson. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival in the mail.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why ... why did one of the gunshots make a "meow" sound?

desc on
    edited December 2009
    Deadpool stuffed a cat in his arsenal by mistake? I mean, really, it doesn't seem that far out of the realm of possibility given all the other scans I've seen of that book.

Crimsondude on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    desc wrote: »
    Why ... why did one of the gunshots make a "meow" sound?

Why not?

Wildcat on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd imagine something like this:
    Sonic_Eruptor.jpg

but with a cat on the end instead of a space amphibian.

cardboard delusions on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey Uncanny X-Men had Dodson art! That's good!

And despite Hank being a whiny B, the
    Void sliver is now in Cyclops' mind, as that was its plan all along OMG :(

TexiKen on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Hey Uncanny X-Men had Dodson art! That's good!

And despite Hank being a whiny B, the
    Void sliver is now in Cyclops' mind, as that was its plan all along OMG :(

Just according to keikaku

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited December 2009
    buh?
    ux518a.jpg

ux518b.jpg

ux518c.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    JSA All-Stars #1 was actually really good, it read like Sturges' Blue Beetle stuff, and what Teen Titans should be. It's also got some great Freddie Williams art. And you get the reveal of the person who was targeting the JSA in the main title:

jsaas1a.jpg

jsaas1b.jpg

jsaas1c.jpg

Star Girl gets captured when the JSA announces the new team, and it turns out the person behind the contracts is:

jsaas1d.jpg

Johnny Sorrow

While this title won't last long in all likelihood, the art is great and Sturges should be the TT writer.

And Cinderella: FFWL #2 was again a good issue, as she teams up with
    Aladdin and they kill a talking mouse. Not really the mouse part but it was a good issue. And Cindy has elves who come to her shoe store at night to deliver shoes! Fairytale continuity is so cool.

TexiKen on
    edited December 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, that Deadpool story looks fantastic. Who's the writer, Way? Because that dude knows how the fuck to write a Deadpool story.

Also, thanks for the review on Thor, Crimson. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival in the mail.

That was Yost and Kyle. I hope Deadpool sticks with X-Force as long as they are whoring him out in every other title. Y&K write him perfectly.

KVW on
    edited December 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »

That was Yost and Kyle. I hope Deadpool sticks with X-Force as long as they are whoring him out in every other title. Y&K write him perfectly.

Okay, so I know who needs to take over his title if Way ever decides to move on. Alternately, they could take over Merc With a Mouth or write on Deadpool Team Up.

wwtMask on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is anyone reading super-god?

Its pretty good thus far.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    edited December 2009
    I've liked the two issues of SUPERGOD so far. Nice art, interesting story, minimal Ellis smarm.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, I love Doom.

I love how he's just the go-to guy for the worst possible things science could do to people. He's my favorite guy for villainy. Even better, he's going to get slapped by Thor. It's always fun to see him build up and then just go too far and get smacked back down.

I think it's been done once or twice, but I'd love a Doom ongoing series. No changes to make him more protagonisty, either. It would just be him coming up with awful, awful ideas, testing them, and then finally getting noticed and stopped by horrified superheroes.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited December 2009
    Honestly - THOR #604 isn't even the best Dr. Doom appearance of the week. That would go to his pages in FALL OF THE HULK: ALPHA.

Examples (IMAGE SPOILERS):
    2m6qyyu.jpg

And later in the issue -

ohj03.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, the art in JSA is good, aside from Power Girl's Jessica Rabbit-esque rack. That's comical, in the bad way.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2009
    Freddie Williams has a lot of cheesecake poses in the issue, but they stand out more than the other art in the book, almost like he and Struges seem to be illustrating the absurdity of her costume more than it being actual cheesecake. For instance, PG covers herself over a bomb when it goes off, and of course her costume is torn to shreds.

It's almost like they're saying "If she's Superman level strong and the team's tank, does anyone else realize she is going to lose her clothes every fight?"

TexiKen on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, everyone should just go with the Unstable Molecules explanation once the hero gets rich enough. It's just retarded to have a rippable costume on anyone.

Also, awesome Doom moment. I love how he's so barely sketched, he's just Egotistical Villain in the most basic sense.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Great Doom moments. I gotta pick up...

Wait, is Sterns alive?

And who's the artist in the first scan? Looks familiar.

Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of Power Girl, did the ongoing get canceled? I know it wasn't doing to well sales wise the last time I checked.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of Power Girl, did the ongoing get canceled? I know it wasn't doing to well sales wise the last time I checked.

Huh? It was one of DC's best books, like 50k or something, last time I checked.

KVW on
    edited December 2009
    http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2009/12/02/dc-comics-month-to-month-sales-october-2009/#more-9116

76 - POWER GIRL
    05/2009: Power Girl #1 — 47,322
    06/2009: Power Girl #2 — 36,756 (-22.3%)
    07/2009: Power Girl #3 — 35,163 (- 4.3%)
    08/2009: Power Girl #4 — 32,140 (- 8.6%)
    09/2009: Power Girl #5 — 29,497 (- 8.2%)
    10/2009: Power Girl #6 — 27,060 (- 8.3%)

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2009
    The last issue sold about 27k.

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Nevermind me, it's on sale the 16th.

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They skipped last month because Conner had to much on her schedule or something.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My moment of the week is that I discovered there's a comic out there called Barack the Barbarian. I haven't read it, but wikipedia writes,
    The story features the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama as a Conan the Barbarian-style figure. It also features politicians like Sarah Palin, George W. Bush, and Dick Cheney in fictional roles.

There is no way this could go wrong.

TeaSpoon on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I took the car to the garage, walked across the lot to the Barnes and Noble, and read some trades while it was getting worked on. I just spent a ton of money on my car, so I didn't buy anything. I read both trades of Umbrella Academy though. Man, that is a great comic. Amazing art, good writing, cool characters, etc. Really awesome. Pretty out there, and totally awesome. More people should read it.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2009
    Hey, did anyone else notice in Siege: The Cabal that
    Ares is never seen?

Crimsondude on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Dark Avengers Annual was glorious. The spoiler at the end was very lame though. Well, awesome, but very lame that it came out before cap reborn 5.

I just read it, and really enjoyed it. Glad that they really seem to be doing something with Nor-varr, and apart from two gripes, the art was awesome.

1) Hated the way Nor-varr was drawn. Something was off about his face.

2)His new costume is atrocious.

Kyougu on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    2)His new costume is atrocious.

Yes. There are just too many sections to the black and white. I wish they'd either gone further and done something more like the Ultimate version or kept it simple and just done a slight update on the classic Captain Marvel costume.

DMAC on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DMAC wrote: »
    kept it simple and just done a slight update on the classic Captain Marvel costume.

Yes, this. This is what I want!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog