As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Ass is Bleeding!

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I should probably alt up, but what the hell.

My ass is bleeding!

I just got through taking a dump and felt something odd, so I took a look at the toilet paper. Blood everywhere! It wasn't enough to drip into the water, but it was all over the toilet paper every time I tried again. I think it slowed down now.

I'm thinking it was probably a hemorrhoid I didn't know I had that burst, or something. Is this likely? Am I going to die?

Sir Carcass on

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What's your diet? When I had this problem (which is embarrassing in itself) my stool was hard and actually ripping apart my colon. Are you drinking enough water?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I probably don't drink enough water, but I have been improving my diet. This one was kind of thick, but mushy enough. It didn't hurt or cause discomfort coming out or anything.

I do tend to sit a lot, especially at work, which is what made me think hemorrhoid. But I don't know.

Sir Carcass on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What colour was the blood? If it was bright red, you're likely look at a hemorrhoid. If it was deep red, the blood came from inside your body, and that could be bad.
    Edit: I find it awesome that when you found blood in your stool, the first thing you thought of was, "To the forums!"

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It was bright red, like Santa's coat.

I was in the middle of browsing the forums when the urge hit, so they were already up!

The main reason I'm not freaking out more is this isn't the first time I've found blood, but it's usually not very much and I can usually pretty much tell where it's coming from. I usually don't see it again for a long while. But this was more than I'm used to.

Sir Carcass on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Very festive!

Then it was a hemorrhoid. The blood would be discoloured if it were coming from somewhere inside, so it must have been a hemorrhoid or other wound that you irritated.

Keep an eye on it and see what happens over the next few days. While hemorrhoids are usually nothing, sometimes you can get one that requires surgery.

Figgy on
    edited December 2009
    For a while I was eating oatmeal with flax seed for breakfast, and all was good with my stool, but I got really tired of it and started having instant breakfast instead. I guess I'll start switching back in oatmeal again.

I've been trying to drink more water, but I'm weird in that I'm like a camel. I really only drink with meals, where I drink a lot, but between them I'm never thirsty. And I hate drinking water with meals, but I've been getting better. I'll keep those in mind, though.

Sir Carcass on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I used to think I was getting enough fiber, but then I started eating a ton of vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, squash) and saw a dramatic shift.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited December 2009
    Figgy wrote: »

Very festive!

Then it was a hemorrhoid. The blood would be discoloured if it were coming from somewhere inside, so it must have been a hemorrhoid or other wound that you irritated.

Keep an eye on it and see what happens over the next few days. While hemorrhoids are usually nothing, sometimes you can get one that requires surgery.

Thanks, that eases my mind a bit. I'll keep an (brown) eye on it and if it keeps on, I'll see about going to the doctor next week.

Boy, that's going to be awkward. Especially since my regular doctor moved and it would be with a new person. "Nice to meet you, can you take a look up my ass?"

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2009
    I used to think I was getting enough fiber, but then I started eating a ton of vegetables (carrots, sweet potatoes, squash) and saw a dramatic shift.

Yeah, I suck at fruits and vegetables because I pretty much can't stand them. I'm really going to have to force myself to eat more. I think it'll be easier because our son is now eating mainly table food and we don't want to feed him the same crap we eat, so we're starting to shift how we cook.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2009
    Couldn't it also have just been a small tear in his anus rather than a hemorrhoid?

Improvolone on
    edited December 2009
    Boy, that's going to be awkward. Especially since my regular doctor moved and it would be with a new person. "Nice to meet you, can you take a look up my ass?"

Hey, that's how I met my fiancee!

Figgy on
    edited December 2009
    Couldn't it also have just been a small tear in his anus rather than a hemorrhoid?

Right, one or the other. In both cases, the blood is bright red.

Neither a hem or a small tear require any medical attention, other than "wipe gently and keep an eye on it."

You could maybe get some baby wipes to make sure you're not wiping too hard for the next little while.

Figgy on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Doctor.

Now.

Or alternatively, soon.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited December 2009

Yeah, I suck at fruits and vegetables because I pretty much can't stand them. I'm really going to have to force myself to eat more. I think it'll be easier because our son is now eating mainly table food and we don't want to feed him the same crap we eat, so we're starting to shift how we cook.

Ah! I know that stage!
    I've been roasting veggies a lot lately. Really simple, really great results. Tonight I made a glaze, last week I covered them in heavy spices.
    mmmmm.

My son eats different food than I do most of the time. He loves okra and edamame, but it doesn't sound like you're at quite that advanced of a stage yet.

Improvolone on
    edited December 2009

Neither a hem or a small tear require any medical attention, other than "wipe gently and keep an eye on it."

You could maybe get some baby wipes to make sure you're not wiping too hard for the next little while.
    You should finish with a wet wipe anyway, ew to those who don't.

Improvolone on
    edited December 2009
    Doctor.

Now.

Or alternatively, soon.

We're not talking about blood seeping forth from his pulsating anus.

He saw a bit of blood on the TP and freaked out. The blood was red. There was no extreme discomfort. He's sitting here pretty and not in a pool of blood and shit.

He does not need to see a doctor.

Figgy on
    edited December 2009
    So, uh... is it okay if I "borrow" a few of my son's Pamper's Sensitive wipes? Sensitive sounds pretty good right about now. I don't think he'll miss them.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2009

You should finish with a wet wipe anyway, ew to those who don't.

I actually do. The unscented kind though, because I don't want to smell like a diaper all day.

Figgy on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    wait, deep red blood is bad?

I was shitting crimson red for like three months back in high school. Enough to drip idly as I sat. Thought nothing of it at the time.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
    edited December 2009
    So, uh... is it okay if I "borrow" a few of my son's Pamper's Sensitive wipes? Sensitive sounds pretty good right about now. I don't think he'll miss them.

Borrow? He won't want them back when you're done.

Figgy on
    edited December 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »

I was shitting crimson red for like three months back in high school. Enough to drop idly as I sat. Thought nothing of it at the time.

D:

I think that's like, organ blood or something.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2009

I was shitting crimson red for like three months back in high school. Enough to drop idly as I sat. Thought nothing of it at the time.

It can be. While it could be just a small tear in your colon from a hefty shit you forced out, it could also be internal bleeding, or a sign of cancer.

Not trying to scare you, but deep red means it was inside your body, and now it's mixed with shit.

Figgy on
    edited December 2009

Closer to a coagulated color is bad, but the sheer time span is a major sign too. Every now and then a bit of bright red isn't serious, but it is important.

Improvolone on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Eh, it needn't be a hemorrhoid or the diet. If you press too hard, a small vein might burst or you ate something that couldn't be digested entirely and cut you intestines somewhere at the end.

As has been said, bright red blood isn't as bad as dark blood but you still should see a doctor. He'll probably want to check for occult blood.

I had pretty much the same problem. Got checked by the doctor, had to take samples of my poo for a week so they could analyse it etc. Turned out they couldn't exactly say what it was but it stopped after a while. Shouldn't be much of an issue.

Fun fact: Stuff like cherry stones can get stuck in your bowel and remain there forever. An enema once in a while can be healthy.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited December 2009
    Ferrus wrote: »
    He'll probably want to check for occult blood.

I'm not like, a Tremere or anything. Is that necessary?

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2009
    Oh, and OH MY GOD don't look up hemorrhoids on Wikipedia.

Sir Carcass on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Doctor.

Now.

Or alternatively, soon.

We're not talking about blood seeping forth from his pulsating anus.

He saw a bit of blood on the TP and freaked out. The blood was red. There was no extreme discomfort. He's sitting here pretty and not in a pool of blood and shit.

He does not need to see a doctor.

Oh. Well, carry on then. But if it continues then definitely get it checked out, because there are a number of things it could be a symptom of.

Of which it could be a symptom?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited December 2009

It just means they search inside your poo-samples for blood. Occult blood is... not a good sign.

Ferrus on
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    edited December 2009
    Oh. Well, carry on then. But if it continues then definitely get it checked out, because there are a number of things it could be a symptom of.

Of which it could be a symptom?

I don't think we have cause to criticize your preposition usage in a thread about bleeding bum holes.

OP: I don't think it is necessary. Just watch it over the next couple of days. If it happens more, see a doc. Until then, sleep easy!

Figgy on
    edited December 2009
    Oh, and OH MY GOD don't look up hemorrhoids on Wikipedia.

What the fuck did you expect to see?

Improvolone on
  • ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Switch to a smoother TP :)

And stop ripping your anus hairs out when you wipe! Pinch and pull is bad technique

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Fun fact: Stuff like cherry stones can get stuck in your bowel and remain there forever. An enema once in a while can be healthy.

Uh what?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

It just means they search inside your poo-samples for blood. Occult blood is... not a good sign.

This is the same thing as the color; if it's bright red (like the color you'll see if you cut your finger), then it's most likely a hemmorhoid/fissure, which while annnoying / painful, aren't "omg run to the ER now!" level. If it's darker, then it's a much more serious issue, since it's coming from some internal organ and not an external cut

It's not the worst idea in the world to chat up your doctor, but (at least in my experience) once I got out of the college diet and started eating salads / veggies more, and started going regularly (straining / not going for a few days certainly doesn't help), it cured up all the of the issues I was having

Gdiguy on
    edited December 2009
    Heir wrote: »

Uh what?

I took a week off and went on a yoga vacation once. They said it is common for Indian yogis to go into the Ganges and use the control they have over their muscles to, eh... give themselves an enema in order to purge their intestines of undigested stuff that might end up there.

This isn't important for your health but apparently it can improve your well-being.

Ferrus on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This made my fucking month. Thank you, friend. :lol:

SlickShughes on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can you believe that I'm having the same issue as OP? Doctor recommended using a spray bottle instead or in tandem with toilet paper, fiber supplements, sitting less, no clenching or forcing or holding of poo, and basically other things that make sense about keeping your poohole nice and non bleedy.

Also, don't forget to lube the hole with something to help the poo out. Keep that skin moist too, if it's starting to tear.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It could also be a polyp.

If it persists you might want a short form colonoscopy, as polyps can be cancerous (very unlikely so far down though).

Docken on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Most likely an internal hemhorroid. Get an occult blood test done just to be sure.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You may have torn the tissue in your lining

Just tell your partner to go a bit easier, and use a little more lube

The Black Hunter on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Speaking as someone who has had his large intestines removed from colitis, you should give your doctor a call tomorrow. The color of the blood is not a good indicator as to what is causing the bleeding.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]