As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!]NEOTOKYO (HL2 Mod)

13»

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I finally have some free time again, and my giant ass backlog isn't really going to get any less giant ass.

Awright, bitches. Let's do this thang.

Monger on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Logging in. I'll try to make a habit of announcing, maybe we can get a crowd going sometime.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If it had more than one game mode i think more people would play. I mean new maps is great but wheres meh deathmatch?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    People will dish this mod constantly for what it lacks, but I still find it really cool and fun. Maybe it's the aesthetic that wins me over, but I can't bring myself to uninstall it

Will jump on when I get a chance

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If it had more than one game mode i think more people would play. I mean new maps is great but wheres meh deathmatch?

There is one (1) team deathmatch map

It's the speeding bullet train one, and it's pretty awesome

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm really not a fan of bullet train. It's a cool concept for a map, and I want to like it more than I do, but there's just not much you can do in it. It's just a bunch of people headbutting another bunch of people over and over.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm really not a fan of bullet train. It's a cool concept for a map, and I want to like it more than I do, but there's just not much you can do in it. It's just a bunch of people headbutting another bunch of people over and over.

superbowl2007.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like it lots because I've seen a million action movies with train setpieces and I rarely see it in video games

Plus when there's a smaller number of players it's awesome because you can totally get behind them and fuck some shit up

No one ever looks behind them on that map

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm still playing this pretty much every night. There's a small but pretty tight community who fills up one server (either dssg or CvG) every evening. Friend me and let's play together sometime. I go by "remura" in game.

If you stopped playing before the update, here's what changed:
    De-emphasis on long ranged weapons. The mid-tier sniping rifle was removed completely, and the low tier zrl and formerly godly SRS were both nerfed as well.
    The shotgun received a tremendous buff. Formerly useless, the shotgun is now a very strong weapon. Fire rate was increased, spread lowered, and damage increased. It can also shoot through fences now, but not glass.
    The "rankless dog" weapon which is the only one available if you have a negative score was buffed. It is now silenced and does a ton of damage at close range. Still useless beyond 20 feet.
    The recon's pistol is now silenced. Many of the weapons were rebalanced; the gist of it is that recons are much better than they used to be, and silenced weapons are much more viable. Whereas the recon used to be considered the weakest class, it is now probably the strongest. Supports feel weakest now, but that may just be that my style of play relies on mobility.
    Bunny hopping was removed for support and assault, but left in for recons.
    Several good maps, some ok ones, and one awful one (lol vtol) were added. Old maps had some significant updates, sometimes adding entire new areas/routes.

Basically the mod is awesome and I have no idea why more people aren't playing it. I guess some people hate games where you don't respawn, but that sort of gameplay has been established for a decade now. It's pretty, it's fun, it's very tactical, and it's well balanced for a mod.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Me and some friends tried to play this again because of the patch. We always liked the game, but just lost interest after a while I guess. I don't know why.

Anyways, we played a few rounds and then left again. Shotguns are ridiculous now; I would say OP even, since they make SMGs completely obsolete. And Supports are now completely useless. I'm slow as all hell, I don't get cammo or sprint, and I die just as fast as anyone else to the shotgun? No, we're done here. I mean, I understand the reasoning behind the Support class but with Recons being so good now, I just don't see the point.

The new maps mostly seem fun tho. And with the exception of the shotgun, the weapons all seem to be better balanced now. Supports need some kinda buff. I would even say Assaults need a little buff too, but Supports need one badly.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    blizzard224blizzard224 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    inlemur wrote: »
    I'm still playing this pretty much every night. There's a small but pretty tight community who fills up one server (either dssg or CvG) every evening. Friend me and let's play together sometime. I go by "remura" in game.

If you stopped playing before the update, here's what changed:
    De-emphasis on long ranged weapons. The mid-tier sniping rifle was removed completely, and the low tier zrl and formerly godly SRS were both nerfed as well.
    The shotgun received a tremendous buff. Formerly useless, the shotgun is now a very strong weapon. Fire rate was increased, spread lowered, and damage increased. It can also shoot through fences now, but not glass.
    The "rankless dog" weapon which is the only one available if you have a negative score was buffed. It is now silenced and does a ton of damage at close range. Still useless beyond 20 feet.
    The recon's pistol is now silenced. Many of the weapons were rebalanced; the gist of it is that recons are much better than they used to be, and silenced weapons are much more viable. Whereas the recon used to be considered the weakest class, it is now probably the strongest. Supports feel weakest now, but that may just be that my style of play relies on mobility.
    Bunny hopping was removed for support and assault, but left in for recons.
    Several good maps, some ok ones, and one awful one (lol vtol) were added. Old maps had some significant updates, sometimes adding entire new areas/routes.

Basically the mod is awesome and I have no idea why more people aren't playing it. I guess some people hate games where you don't respawn, but that sort of gameplay has been established for a decade now. It's pretty, it's fun, it's very tactical, and it's well balanced for a mod.

The lack of a respawn seems pretty essential for the game to be honest, it's part of the whole "really-deadly" thing it's got going for it. One mistake and you're fucked. The impact would be lessened if you popped right back up straight away.

I'm patching now. I'd love to play with you guys and buffer your server's numbers a little, but being based in Australia that leads to some very hard to deal with lag.

blizzard224 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    inlemurinlemur Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Me and some friends tried to play this again because of the patch. We always liked the game, but just lost interest after a while I guess. I don't know why.

Anyways, we played a few rounds and then left again. Shotguns are ridiculous now; I would say OP even, since they make SMGs completely obsolete. And Supports are now completely useless. I'm slow as all hell, I don't get cammo or sprint, and I die just as fast as anyone else to the shotgun? No, we're done here. I mean, I understand the reasoning behind the Support class but with Recons being so good now, I just don't see the point.

The new maps mostly seem fun tho. And with the exception of the shotgun, the weapons all seem to be better balanced now. Supports need some kinda buff. I would even say Assaults need a little buff too, but Supports need one badly.

Shotguns are definitely powerful, but I don't think they are OP. A major game mechanic is firing from cover, and when you're leaning around a wall to shoot someone, they are going to have a hard time doing much damage with a shotgun. Also, penetration is pretty important, and the shotgun has none. I rarely use it because it's not very versatile and because I prefer silenced weapons.

I agree that supports are the weakest class now. However, they do begin the game with the shotgun and M41 unlocked, while assaults and recons have to get to rank 2 and 4 respectively. Assaults are fine; at low rank I tend to play recon and at high rank I play assault.

inlemur on
    XBL - remura
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Grabbed this earlier today, gave it a whirl - it's great, I love it.

One problem.

Vision modes don't work for me. At all.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

One problem.

Do you mean that thermal vision isn't thermal/motion vision is useless unless they're right next to you/stuff like that, or do they not work at all?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

One problem.

Do you mean that thermal vision isn't thermal/motion vision is useless unless they're right next to you/stuff like that, or do they not work at all?

They don't work at all. Further forum-delving reveals it's likely a problem with my ooold graphics card not supporting certain DX9 bits.

edit: So Jinrai command is likely left wondering why their support member keeps trying to run through a vending machine in the middle of a smoke cloud.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »

One problem.

They don't work at all. Further forum-delving reveals it's likely a problem with my ooold graphics card not supporting certain DX9 bits.

Yeah, a lot of effects like that won't work unless you've got the shader model (2.0? 3.0?) on your card IIRC. What graphics card have you got?

Incidentally, does anyone still play this? Is it any good? Worth giving a try?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Brace yourself.

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000.

I know right

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah that's... quite an old card (I'm being gentle). Not to mention I think it was originally designed for workplace usage and not for games. You might want to look into getting something more up to date, graphics card prices are pretty low for something that can even run Crysis happily these days. And it's not like there's anything more intensive than that on the market now, or in the foreseeable future, at least not until the next generation of consoles comes out.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I had a 6600, but the fan broke while trying to play Sins of a Solar Empire when that came out, and this is my replacement. Just haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet.

And yet - and yet! - this freaky old thing designed more for rendering cubes in Bryce than for anything else has managed to run World in Conflict, The Witcher, and a few other surprisingly modern games. Neotokyo runs perfectly on it - vending machine humping aside.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I had a 6600, but the fan broke while trying to play Sins of a Solar Empire when that came out, and this is my replacement. Just haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet.

And yet - and yet! - this freaky old thing designed more for rendering cubes in Bryce than for anything else has managed to run World in Conflict, The Witcher, and a few other surprisingly modern games. Neotokyo runs perfectly on it - vending machine humping aside.

That's pretty surprising. Wikipedia says it's got the same chipset as a GeForce 5800.

Which now that I think about it, at the least ought to be good enough for HL2 engine games I guess.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I won't lie, the Witcher gave it a run for it's money.

It was very decent until you went near a fire or anything else with particle effects, and then the FPS sank below 15. Way below, sometimes. So you found yourself in the hilarious position of shying the camera away from any torches, as if Geralt was suffering from some severe kind of photophobia.

Still want to revisit that game someday with the graphics way up.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png