As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me the best universal remote for my purpose

GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, i'm at a cross roads.. i've come to a point in life, a defining point, one which theologians have pondered for many generations.. what is the best universal remote to buy?

At the moment i'm leaning toward the Logitech Harmony 555

Here's what I have and what i'll likely be buying:

Sharp 40" 700E HDTV
Humax 9200 Freeview PVR
Antec Veris - part of my media center, it has a remote control etc (I use XBMC on this, the included remote is pretty crap)
Some cheap dvd player (will likely be getting rid of this as I intend to play dvd's either on the PS3 or simply store them on the media center)

What i'm likely buying at some point:

Infrared adapter for PS3 (I was thinking of the PS3 bluetooth harmony adapter)
Humax Freesat PVR (I'm thinking of holding back for Freeview HD and getting a Freeview HD box instead)

PSN | Steam
---
I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
GrimReaper on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The Harmony software is fucking incredible. Since every Harmony remote uses the same software (except for the 100 which is some two handed touch screen thing), its a matter of hardware. I've read great thing about the One, but the price is still a bit much. I loved by 890.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I second the awesomeness of Harmony remotes, easily the best investment of my home theatre system.

YodaTuna on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do you guys use the non-touchscreen Harmony remotes or the fancier colour touchscreen type ones?

I'm wondering whether the double price of the Harmony One is really worth it over something like the 555.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've heard that the ergonomics and button layout are vastly improved, but if it's worth double the amount to you, well, that depends on how much extra cash you have.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have the 555, no complaints. Capability-wise the only difference between remotes is the actual remote hardware itself, not the software. You can do anything on the 555 that you can do on the more expensive versions, you're just missing the touchscreen, rechargeable battery, etc...

YodaTuna on
    edited December 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    I have the 555, no complaints. Capability-wise the only difference between remotes is the actual remote hardware itself, not the software. You can do anything on the 555 that you can do on the more expensive versions, you're just missing the touchscreen, rechargeable battery, etc...

What's the battery life like on the 555? How long does it last before you need new batteries?
    I've heard that the ergonomics and button layout are vastly improved, but if it's worth double the amount to you, well, that depends on how much extra cash you have.

Technically I can afford it, but what i'm worried about is that the coloured buttons is on the touchscreen or something. Dunno if they only work on certain things like Sky+ instead of on say my freeview pvr.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've been asking myself the same question as you and have a pretty similar amount and type of components that I'm looking to control. Having done some research and honestly apraising my situation both financially and technically, the Harmony 720 is about 105 bucks from Tigerdirect.CA, which I'm assuming is in CAD and that's a really decent price for a rechargable harmony remote with a color non-touch screen and it'll probably have room to control double the devices I have now.

Edit: 110$ Canadian, capable of controlling 15 devices.

Edit 2: Looks like you may be from the UK, the remote you quoted in your OP is fairly similar to the 720 from what I can tell.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just got the SHarp 52" LED of the same series. I love mine, you'll fall head over heals with yours.

You just got me interested in PVRs. Never wanted to spend the money on a tivo, or use the crappy IO DVR my cable provider has

Durandal Infinity on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Do you guys use the non-touchscreen Harmony remotes or the fancier colour touchscreen type ones?

I'm wondering whether the double price of the Harmony One is really worth it over something like the 555.

I absolutely love my Harmony One. Excellent feel, rechargeable base station thing, super easy to program, you can customize the button backgrounds, its awesome.

The only thing I dont like about it is lack of RF support, which for a remote as expensive as it is, it should be able to do RF.

EDIT: Oh, and any button the Harmony One doesnt have, but the actual remote does have, will show up on the touch screen.

emp123 on
    edited December 2009
    I've ordered a Logitech Harmony 555, so will have that in a few days.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---