As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Does Strange Journey keep Devil Survivor's wonderful "choose the skill" mechanic?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Aside from the Demon Shard system, I do not think you have any control over inherited skills.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Does Strange Journey keep Devil Survivor's wonderful "choose the skill" mechanic?

Naturally inherited things are basically random.

Every demon has, like, a really tiny list of things they'll naturally inherit. And up to...the fourth or fifth area, I hadn't really made anything that ever had more than one or two skills they could get beyond the limit. 90% of the things I made just had a few skills that they would get, and nothing would change that. Anything else you could reset the fusion and it would switch things around, but everything seemed to have about the same chance to appear and there's a bunch of junk anyway and getting the right setup never took more than like twenty seconds maybe.

Demon customization comes from D-Source or something, that you can get one of per demon after you've leveled it up for a while. This basically just copies the skills that it had, or adds to its natural abilities or something (a demon that naturally knows bufu might have a source that gives bufula or mabufu, or something like that). These usually have three or four skills. You can add these sources to any demon during fusion to replace any skills that it has.

It's really hard if you're a packrat and always think "but maybe I'll need this source later." But you get so many of the things that even the most adamant refuse-to-use-unique-itemers will eventually cave in and start popping them into new demons.

Frosteey on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alright, so in Strange Journey, I'll have tons of those things, since it takes me forever to decide to fuse away demons.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    Allow me to re-enact the first moments of Imagine in regards to the demon negotiation.

Hey pixie, want to join? NO.

Hey pixie, want to join? NO.

Seriously pixie I need you to progress the storyline. NO.

Pixie come the fuck on. NO.

Okay pixie seriously if you don't come wi- NO.

Okay join me or die. NO.

I fucking hate you so much you stupid bitch. Just join me. NO.

Baby I'm sorry. I know last time I was mean. I'm a changed player now. So won't you join me? NO.

FUCK OFF. *Pixie joined you*
    You forgot the disconnects, random mobs spawning near you and attacking while you're talking, and people killing your pixie in the middle of negotiations.

To be fair, they fixed the connects.

The rest still pretty much sucks.

And I guess negotation gets a little easier when you can bribe them with macca and/or gems.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    It can occasionally be annoying, though.

Spending hours getting the perfect layout of skills on a Persona, only to end with a Fusion accident.

Or to have the X, X, O, O rhythm down so hard that when you actually get the layout you want you back out my mistake.

And then they had to fuck it up by making the cursor reset in P4. Thanks a lot Atlus! Now I have to actually pay attention instead of getting lost in my own little world for 45 minutes at a time!

Wait, as in 45 minutes of browsing through menus meticulously making sure the party is at the best they can be and mixing and matching stuff so you can see the results of different combinations?

*runs off to find out more about DDS 1 and 2 and the Persona games*

EDIT: Alright I lied, I did play some of Imagine but I only got partway through the tutorial when I discovered that I really didn't like MMORPGs all that much.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »

Spending hours getting the perfect layout of skills on a Persona, only to end with a Fusion accident.

Or to have the X, X, O, O rhythm down so hard that when you actually get the layout you want you back out my mistake.

And then they had to fuck it up by making the cursor reset in P4. Thanks a lot Atlus! Now I have to actually pay attention instead of getting lost in my own little world for 45 minutes at a time!

Wait, as in 45 minutes of browsing through menus meticulously making sure the party is at the best they can be and mixing and matching stuff so you can see the results of different combinations?

The following is an example of every single person who has played P3 and Nocturne. Demon names and moves will of course vary.

"Goddammit I am not leaving the fusion screen until my Trumpeter gets Debilitate, Mediarahan, Mind Charge, and Panta Rhei on him. I have all day game. All day."

*20 minutes later*

"Okay forget the Mediarahan. That's fine. I need those other 3 though."

*20 minutes later*

"Okay forget Mediarahan and Debilitate. I need those other two though.

*5 minutes later*

"Wait why am I even making this guy? I can just make a kickass Thor instead."

Gilder on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Not quite... It's more like after having decided on the persona you wish to create, you'll spend 45 minutes trying to get the RNG to give it to you.

Chrono Helix on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

EDIT: Alright I lied, I did play some of Imagine but I only got partway through the tutorial when I discovered that I really didn't like MMORPGs all that much.

DDS does not have this system and instead gives your characters a pool of moves based on how you've leveled up skillsets.

Persona does and although sometimes we feel like a battered spouse as we subject ourselves to yet another fusion that refuses to go as planned, we feel like death incarnate when we have that multi-element deity fused.

And Imagine is one of the worst games to try if you don't like MMORPGs much. It lacks many, many refinements to the genre from the last five or six years or so. It reminds me Star Wars Galaxies (pre-NGE revamp) without the social elements. In other words a game that other MMO developers had their designers play and study so as to learn what NOT to do in their own game.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    edited December 2009

Not quite... It's more like after having decided on the persona you wish to create, you'll spend 45 minutes trying to get the RNG to give it to you.

Wait what? How does making a Persona actually work?

EDIT: Ah never mind, I see from above. And yeah after playing and trying way too many free mmos, their crappiness kind of runs together.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My perfect defensive anti-optional boss Orpheus Telos in P3: FES took a least four hours to get the right skills on.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think I ever spent more than a few minutes creating any persona. Not only did I save a lot of time, but it kept the difficulty level from becoming trivial because of some uber-invincible persona.

RainbowDespair on
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have never seen a fusion accident in Persona 3. I mean, do they exist? I know the game talks about them but it never once happened to me.

Shaggy on
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

The following is an example of every single person who has played P3 and Nocturne. Demon names and moves will of course vary.

"Goddammit I am not leaving the fusion screen until my Trumpeter gets Debilitate, Mediarahan, Mind Charge, and Panta Rhei on him. I have all day game. All day."

*20 minutes later*

"Okay forget the Mediarahan. That's fine. I need those other 3 though."

*20 minutes later*

"Okay forget Mediarahan and Debilitate. I need those other two though.

*5 minutes later*

"Wait why am I even making this guy? I can just make a kickass Thor instead."

Haha! I never spent that much, but I know the general feeling. I wish they would get a real point buy system for Persona 5. If Dungeons and bloody Dragons can get with the times, so can Atlus.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Atlus could never do such a thing, as that would be being kind to the players. If the purchase price of these skills of choice were not points but rather something dear and valuable, that would be a more tender option.

"You want Mediarahan and Debilitate? That'll cost five levels. You're level 72 now. What, that sound like too much? No, it's cool. You can listen to the Velvet Room music for another hour, if that's what you really want.

I thought so."

YggiDee on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shaggy wrote: »
    I have never seen a fusion accident in Persona 3. I mean, do they exist? I know the game talks about them but it never once happened to me.

I only have them at the worst time humanly possible.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only time i got a fusion accident is when i was combining two lesser demons just to make room. Didn't bother me all that much.

Oh, and my earlier talk of negotiations was actually about Nocturne, which I only really started playing now after owning it for about a year.

I need a Lillim, but I'll be damned if one will join me.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    The only time i got a fusion accident is when i was combining two lesser demons just to make room. Didn't bother me all that much.

Oh, and my earlier talk of negotiations was actually about Nocturne, which I only really started playing now after owning it for about a year.

I need a Lillim, but I'll be damned if one will join me.

Chances vary enormously depending on which recruitment skill you use for which demon.
    Some, for instance, are much more vulnerable to Charm.

Xagarath on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Accidents seemed most common in Devil Summoner 3 & 4.

Of course, that could be because Victor's a hack.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Atlus could never do such a thing, as that would be being kind to the players. If the purchase price of these skills of choice were not points but rather something dear and valuable, that would be a more tender option.

"You want Mediarahan and Debilitate? That'll cost five levels. You're level 72 now. What, that sound like too much? No, it's cool. You can listen to the Velvet Room music for another hour, if that's what you really want.

I thought so."

Level loss would be nice compared to what I was thinking of:

"You want Victory Cry? Give up a rank in all the S-Links besides this persona's."

Darklyre on
    edited December 2009
    I did the weekend 'Arcadia Wars' quest, which is pretty much the only thing worth doing in Imagine nowadays, and it reminds me of how much I enjoy that game's combat system.

It's a shame there's nothing worth pursuing with it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    Persona 3 FES get!

Now I just need time to play it...

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Accidents seemed most common in Devil Summoner 3 & 4.

Of course, that could be because Victor's a hack.

I know that in 4 they occur every 7th fusion or so instead of randomly popping up.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My most bizarre SMT fusion accident happened to me with Nocturne:
    - Fused two demons; accident happened; result: a Hresvelgr,. Ok. Load Game.
    - Fused the same two demons. accident happened; result: a Hresvelgr; Ok. Quit game.
    - Fused the same two demons again. accident happened; result: Hresvelgr; WTF¿? Ok. Quit game.
    - Fused the same two demons again. accident happened; result: AN AWESOME SURT who I used until the endgame.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My most bizarre SMT fusion accident happened to me with Nocturne:
    - Fused two demons; accident happened; result: a Hresvelgr,. Ok. Load Game.
    - Fused the same two demons. accident happened; result: a Hresvelgr; Ok. Quit game.
    - Fused the same two demons again. accident happened; result: Hresvelgr; WTF¿? Ok. Quit game.
    - Fused the same two demons again. accident happened; result: AN AWESOME SURT who I used until the endgame.

Back when Revelations: The Demon Slayer was new, I had a wonderful thing happen at the start of the game.

I'm slugging my way through the encounters, struggling to get new demons to fill out my party and wind up with a pair of weak little nothings... so I fuse them together, because "Well, level eight is better than two level threes."

MOTHERFUCKING LEVEL 87 SHIVA.

I'm pretty sure they've fixed fusion accidents in later titles, even though R:TDS was technically a Last Bible game...

mrsnackroad on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Son of a bitch. I can't find my DDS1 save game. I had beat the game, was in NG+, with the skills required to basically walk through the game on autopilot (the death flies attack + victory cry).

Only savegame I can find now is one from 5/6/06. I'm in some place called "Samsara Tunnels" with almost nothing unlocked. And apparently my main character is pure magic this time, 99 MA with most of the magic trees being what he's unlocking. If this is what I think it is, this is the one from WAY back when I first started the game, which means I'm apparently missing a memory card.

God. Damnit.

KiTA on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    and now I remember why I restarted -- Cerebrus + multi-attacks on Sereph and hunt attacks on Heat...

KiTA on
    edited December 2009
    I guess this is... uh, something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrBKrXvm59E

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    That video reminded me that the music is pretty much the only reason to play SMT1. It does have some pretty kickass songs. Town of Extremists is the name of the SMT song in that video and it's pretty awesome.

Gilder on
    edited December 2009
    I like the tracks I recognize from Imagine even more as chiptunes.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    I did enjoy recognizing songs from Nocturne in SMT1 when I was playing it. The alignment songs are used in the labyrinth, like when Metatron shows up.

Gilder on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did enjoy recognizing songs from Nocturne in SMT1 when I was playing it. The alignment songs are used in the labyrinth, like when Metatron shows up.

man I thought that sounded weirdly old-school

Elendil on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    FFFFFFFFF

Trying to beat Persona 4 finally, and that stupid boss at the top of Heaven's Tower just killed me four times in a row. It's basically because Yukiko is weak to ice and it lets the boss have two turns. He just spams Ice x All twice and kills my MC. GAH.

This is seriously making me not want to play now.

blaze_zero on
    edited December 2009
    Make a persona null to basically everything and just have Yukiko guard or bring in Teddie. If you're null to most elements as well as physical attacks then there's not too much the boss can do. The big paper persona is easy to make and I think it's already null to physical and possibly something else.

Gilder on
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFF

Trying to beat Persona 4 finally, and that stupid boss at the top of Heaven's Tower just killed me four times in a row. It's basically because Yukiko is weak to ice and it lets the boss have two turns. He just spams Ice x All twice and kills my MC. GAH.

Change personae and party members?

Get something that drains ice, and use Teddie instead

elliotw2 on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So.. Persona 3 and 4 are the Ps2 games right?

Rizzi on
    edited December 2009
    Nocturne, Persona 3 and 4, Both US Devil Summoner games, and you can play Persona 1 and 2 on the PS2 as well

elliotw2 on
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFF

Change personae and party members?

Get something that drains ice, and use Teddie instead

Yeah, at this point it shouldn't be tough to fuse a good persona who nulls ice, and you can bring in someone other than Yukiko, or you can have her guard.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if it's the guy I'm thinking of, he uses all the elements

just keep four personas that repel (or drain or null if you don't have one) an element, guard when he changes then pound him with whatever he's hitting you with

maybe one null phys on hand for that one phase

Elendil on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gah. None of the stores around me have Persona 3 or 4.

Rizzi on
This discussion has been closed.