As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sealing tall recessed windows for winter.

supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in an apartment with high ceilings, 15 feet, and my windows run about twelve of that. Two of them are drafty as hell and I need to seal them off for winter. The problem is that the windows are recessed almost a foot back from the wall, so there’s no frame to put plastic over. The only solution I can think of is to borrow a ladder and caulk them (they don’t open anyway) but I was wondering if there’s a less permanent option.

supabeast on

• Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can't you just place plastic over the recess?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    Should your landlord not be taking care of this? That seems like a basic maintenance issue.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • -AKIRA--AKIRA- Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maybe some painters plastic with two or three tension rods in the mix? You'll certainly need one at the top and the bottom, and, depending on the height of the window, maybe one in the middle.

-AKIRA- on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Could you not shove a heap of Blu-tack around the edge?

As cat said though, call the landlord, that's a maintenance issue.

Blake T on
  • ink4n3ink4n3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't they sell plastic that sticks to windows when you blow dry it in place? I don't know how well it works but my college buddies would use it to try to save money in the winter.

I was thinking something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NHY1P0?ie=UTF8&tag=greeenereffih-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000NHY1P0

ink4n3 on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yeah. get the plastic stuff. they sell it at wal-mart/target, etc.

geckahn on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's hard to know without seeing the window, but you could also use spray-on insulating foam, if you're not worried about appearance. It's theoretically waterproof and is fairly easy to peel of a glass surface when it is dry.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Caulk the windows and get some double sided sticky tape and use that shrink-plastic over the windows.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition