As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That town... there's something wrong with that town...

RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Social Entropy++
1109330silenthillshatte.jpg

silenthillshatteredmemobh.jpg

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, remake of the original Silent Hill, is being released on Tuesday!

I try to remain optimistic every time a new Silent Hill game is released, but that's become more difficult ever since Konami began outsourcing the series to American developers. Origins and Homecoming were okayish, but not nearly as engaging, thoughtful, or original as their predecessors.

And now we have Shattered Memories, a bizarre looking Wii remake full of questionable design choices. Why does Harry look like Egon? Dahlia might be a goth teen now or something? Why is there only one kind of super generic enemy? Why has the hellish industrial decay been forsaken for a dull, non-threatening winter aesthetic? I guess icicles are kind of scary in a way? They're pretty sharp after all?

I SUPPOSE THESE NAGGING QUESTIONS will all be answered upon the game's release tomorrow. Maybe.

25jyxzr.jpg
Redeemer on

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    man, your series is fucked

that Yamaoka cat don't seem to like this either and is leavin that series

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited December 2009
    i mean, maybe if they had better western developers on this it wouldn't be a problem

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well aren't most of the SH guys on the team who made siren now

that game was cool

Nuzak on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I recall hearing that this game would give you a psychological survey at the start and then the game would change based on that. I wonder if that feature made it into the final game. Although it kind of sounds like one of those ones that sounds interesting on paper but would never work properly or would be a really small gimmicky part of the game that doesn't really change much.

-SPI- on
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh shit it's Redeemer

Hi Redeemer!

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    shush you'll frighten him away before we get the net gun

Nuzak on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wish one of the basic tenants of survival horror wasn't shitty controls. It would be nice if they could find something to build the tension other than relying on your inability to control your character or see what is going on. Resident Evil was more guilty of this than silent hill, but a lot of other games did this.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    iPhone, what's up with that iPhone?

Synthetic Orange on
    edited December 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    I wish one of the basic tenants of survival horror wasn't shitty controls. It would be nice if they could find something to build the tension other than relying on your inability to control your character or see what is going on. Resident Evil was more guilty of this than silent hill, but a lot of other games did this.

Dead Space was pretty solid. Well it had some spotty item collection and you couldn't do that instant 180 turn like in RE but it was still good.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    why cant the special place ever be behind the olive garden

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »

that game was cool

Yeah siren was pretty dang awesome and creepy

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What is Siren?

I no longer own a wii so I guess I am out of luck with trying this one out.

M.D. on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    i mean, maybe if they had better western developers on this it wouldn't be a problem

Yeah you would think BioWare, Epic, Infinity Ward, or Ubisoft would jump at the chance to remake a 10-year-old game for Wii.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited December 2009
    What is Siren?

I no longer own a wii so I guess I am out of luck with trying this one out.

Episodic survival horror game for the ps3 available online. It is pretty ballin

lostwords on
    edited December 2009
    Lost, give me your ps3

M.D. on
    edited December 2009
    But I've already marked mine with love juices

lostwords on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    since Homecoming wasn't that great and I've already played Dead Space, are there any actually creepy games for the 360?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Having only played Silent Hill 2, hearing about all the other games in the series and their storylines just confuses me.

It's really stupid they got rid of the fog and decay in favor of ice, though. Hope that doesn't make it into the second Silent Hill movie.

TankHammer on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My roommate and I both agreed if either one of us wins our fantasy league we'll spend the winnings on a PS3.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    They really should just let this series die, it certainly isn't showing any signs of getting better

I mean, whose bright idea was it to put a hard cap on the amount of ammo Alex could hold in Homecoming, you expect me to believe this guy can carry around all those weapons at once but has to scrimp on ammo

In related news, the developers for Homecoming are now working on a new Front Mission game, which bums me out

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Silent Hill: Tyra Banks edition

NotASenator on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think it'll do as well as REmake, but then again, that would be difficult.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    man, your series is fucked

that Yamaoka cat don't seem to like this either and is leavin that series

Seriously right? Now that the last bridge has been burned, this series has nowhere to go but down
    Nuzak wrote: »

that game was cool

Siren had a great atmosphere! But it was a real chore to play. I haven't played passed the first chapter of Blood Curse on account of the fact that it gave me a panic attack, though
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I recall hearing that this game would give you a psychological survey at the start and then the game would change based on that. I wonder if that feature made it into the final game. Although it kind of sounds like one of those ones that sounds interesting on paper but would never work properly or would be a really small gimmicky part of the game that doesn't really change much.

I read a review, IGN's I think, that said that the monsters would change appearance based on whether you stared at boobs or something, but that their attack patterns remained the same. Seems pretty pointless to me!
    Veretas wrote: »
    Oh shit it's Redeemer

Hi Redeemer!

Hi!
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Silent Hill: Tyra Banks edition

Wherein the final boss is Naomi Campbell? I'm in

Anyway, the current state of survival horror is in shambles. Established serieses have either evolved to become shooters with spooky soundtracks (Resident Evil), been ignored to the point of exile (Fatal Frame), or, as present company demonstrates, become a shadow of its former self

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Deemer what did you think about Dead Space?

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    edited December 2009
    it was an action game that was also pretty scary

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited December 2009
    You're walking down a narrow hallway towards a dark bathroom in the hotel room you're trapped in. Somewhere nearby, you can hear a scraping sound but you can't quite place it.

Spread on the floor of the hall are pictures of when you were in high school and were fat and had frizzy hair.

Suddenly
    hamcollage.jpg

NotASenator on
    edited December 2009
    Needs more Tyra fat suit action

lostwords on
    edited December 2009
    lostwords wrote: »

later boss

NotASenator on
    edited December 2009
    Don't forget the music that sounds like a trash can lid being thrown down an alley

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2009
    lostwords wrote: »

also freakout about strippers

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't forget the music that sounds like a trash can lid being thrown down an alley

And a toaster oven caught inside a washing machine stuck inside a trash-compactor.

The sounds of Silent Hill are scarier than the monster designs.

TankHammer on
    edited December 2009
    Actually, forget Naomi Campbell, the end boss of Silent Hill: Tyra Banks is vaseline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPloclVWWus
    Veretas wrote: »
    Deemer what did you think about Dead Space?

It was scary! But I wouldn't consider it survival horror

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited December 2009
    I got freaked out playing ill bleed for the dreamcast :(

edit - I guess every scary game I get scared, but I love them

M.D. on
    edited December 2009
    The best are the dudes who try to find some deep psychological explanation for why the monsters look like they do

That really only works with the 2nd and possibly the 3rd games, the monsters designs go completely off the deep end by the time The Room rolled around

CorporateLogo on

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited December 2009

And a toaster oven caught inside a washing machine stuck inside a trash-compactor.

The sounds of Silent Hill are scarier than the monster designs.

For sure. After about the fifth time you run across four mannequin legs fused together, you sort of get accustomed to it

Speaking of which, the Shattered Memories soundtrack was released. It's definitely worth listening to. A couple of songs harken back to the SH1 score's indiscernible white noise, which, if you ask me, is an improvement over indiscernible trip hop

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited December 2009
    IGN gave it a pretty good review. Apparently the game is HELLA short though. Like around 6 hours at best. Though it looks insanely good for a wii game.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I loved those really shaky dudes who were in the background of 3, turning those winches

Weaver on
  • KidsmokeKidsmoke Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The original Silent Hill trilogy was amazing. My childhood wouldn't have been quite the same without them.

Kidsmoke on
    [Image removed because it was too large. Please see our Rules Thread. -Bogey]
    Last.fm
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Futore wrote: »
    since Homecoming wasn't that great and I've already played Dead Space, are there any actually creepy games for the 360?

Playing on a big television with good sound, alone in the dark, Bioshock gets really creepy.

DarkPrimus on
    edited December 2009
    Butters wrote: »

Yeah you would think BioWare, Epic, Infinity Ward, or Ubisoft would jump at the chance to remake a 10-year-old game for Wii.

well obviously

on the real though, of all the people they could have had make Homecoming, they settle for the guys who made Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure

Calamity Jane on