As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Expanding Beer Palate

EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So as I'm sitting here finishing off my last bottle I figure I'd ask here and see if I can find some good recommendations on other beers to try. Most of the people I know like the crap beer like Bud... they might get a little "wild" and go for a Coronoa at some point.
I find those beers terrible and can't stand them.

Currently my two favorite beers are Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Problems with those is that the Stout is very hard for me to find, and the Sam Adams is a seasonal (it's also much better on tap than in bottle every time I've tried it).

Some things of note:

1) I can't stand Hoppy beers. I've tried a number but something about the taste just totally throws me off.
2) I always seem to enjoy the dark beers (IE: Stouts) far more than others, even if I don't think the particular one I'm tasting is great.
3) Places to buy online would be awesome. I could stock up on a couple cases/sampler packs of some recommended beers and go to town.

EclecticGroove on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you don't like hoppy beer, stay away from IPAs.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If you don't like hoppy beer, stay away from IPAs.

Oh, I know this. I have business in Cali off and on and I've tried a few. They just don't do anything for me. Friends out there seem to love it tho.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do you like Belgian beers? My current favorites are Duvel, Kwak, and La Fin Du Monde (french canadian, but still delicious). These are not for the lightweights though, they are often 8% abv or more.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well, it seems like you already know to stay away from the IPAs, and depending on how much dislike hops stay away from regular pale ales as well. Depending on the type they can get pretty hoppy too.

Try looking out for Nut Browns. They are usually pretty solid if you want a darker beer. I know Goose Island makes one, and so does Samuel Smith. Also, I know its an Anheuser-Busch beer, but give the Winters Bourbon Cask Ale a try while its out as a seasonal.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For the longest of times, I thought I didn't like beer. Being around coors and Budweiser, I though you have to be a masochist to truly enjoy beer.

Then I went to a restaurant and decided to drop some big bucks on this stuff:

maredsous-8-dubbel-21136320.jpg

then, after the first sip, it just come together and make sense.

To problem with beer is that most people drink a shitty alcohol solution. To truly enjoy beer, you need beer that actually haves a flavor.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i dunno. i don;t like IPA's but i do like a lot of pale ales, magic hat has number 9 which is sort of a pale ale. yards has a coupe different not super hoppy pale ales.

there are tos of different stouts. check out boddington pub ale its good stuff. oatmmeal stout and chocolate stouts are also good

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you can get it, try Maudite. It is made in Quebec and it is very tasty.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I actually go to a local specialty beer/wine store (well, I think it's a small nation chain, really) called Total Wine and More and try to pick up at least one new beer per week. Here are a few of my recommendations for darker beers. I can't promise they'll be easy to find. Many of these are strong both in terms of ABV, anywhere from and average 5% up to 11%, and big, strong flavor which is not for everyone and make take some getting used to.

Oatmeal stouts:
    New Holland Brewing Co. - The Poet
    Southern Tier Brewing Co. - Oat
    Terrapin Beer Co. Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout -It's exactly what the name sounds like. An oatmeal stout brewed with coffee for a lot of coffee flavoring.

Milk stouts - these are a bit sweeter than a standard stout:
    Terrapin Beer Co. Depth Charge - This is a milk stout which was brewed with coffee.
    Duck Rabbit Milk Stout

Imperial/Russian Imperial stouts:
    Stone Imperial Russian Stout
    Lagunitas Imperial Stout
    Clipper City Brewing Co. Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout

Other stouts and porters:
    Stone Smoked Porter
    New Holland Brewing Co Dragon's Milk - Oak barrel stout
    Bluegrass Brewing Company Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout - A stout with a hint of bourbon. Good stuff.

Double Bocks - these are dark, but generally sweeter than stouts and porters:
    Troegs Troegenator - It's been awhile since I had it, but I remember liking it.
    Paulaner Salvator
    Spaten Optimator

I would also recommend anything else from Lagunitas, Stone, Terrapin, New Holland, and Left Hand. Be warned that a LOT of the beers from Stone are IPAs and some of the most bitter IPAs I've ever drank at that. Terrapin covers a lot of ground, some are very hoppy, some are not. They almost all have a big, strong flavor, though.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://beeradvocate.com/

Beer is the greatest thing ever.

Location would help. You mention California. So I'll assume you're a west coaster American.

Some breweries to look for:
    Deschutes
    Sierra Nevada (fyi, the christmas beer is an IPA)
    Lagunitas
    Alaskan Brewing
    Ballast Point Brewing Company
    AleSmith
    Midnight Sun Brewing
    Russian River Brewing
    Lost Coast Brewery
    Anchor

I find the term 'hoppy' to be a bit misleading. A beer can be incredibly hoppy and have no bitterness or vice versa. There are many different smells and flavours to hops. They are broken down in to two groups, bittering and aroma. Some are piney smelling, grapefruity, cedary, lemony, floral, Columbus hops smell a bit like marijuana.

The best way to is just to go to a beer store and start buying a style(s) you like then branching out from that. Styles I recommend to start with based on the two you mentioned are:
    Porters
    Stouts
    Brown Ales
    Oktoberfest (out of season, you may find a few stragglers)
    Baltic Porters*
    Russian Imperial Stouts*
    Dunkels
    Winter Ales/Winter Warmers
    Belgians**
    Bock
    Double Bock*
    Rauchbier and other smoked beers.
    Wheat Beers***

* High alcohol, may find them 'hot'
    ** Huge variance in styles we can go in that more if you want.
    *** Wheat beers are incredibly easy to get in to. They come in many names; Weisse, Hefe-Weizen, Wit, White, and the near extinct Gose.

Its Winter now, so check out those winter seasonals. I just picked up several bottles of different breweries here in BC's winter seasonals. Most winter ales tend to be more malty, roasty, toasty, and some are spiced.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah, I'm actually on the East coast (in Virginia).

I've tried a few Hefe-Weizen beers before that are pretty good.

By "Hoppy" I specifically mean anything in the style that many of the IPA's mentioned have to their flavor.

I've never really had a Belgian. Every place I've been to with a tap has essentially either had a "fine" selection of Bud/Miller/etc, or are strictly micro brews/house beers. Many of those house/micro's can be excellent, but fairly limited in terms of obtaining for consumption in my own home.

Places that sell beer that I've been to do not have anyone on hand that has any real knowledge of what they sell, and do not provide any sampler... so I'd be flying blind with what to branch out from. I also do not know of any beer store near me that is decent at the moment. They tend to only get things from major breweries, so might have a few of the more unique brews from them at best.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Do you like Belgian beers? My current favorites are Duvel, Kwak, and La Fin Du Monde (french canadian, but still delicious). These are not for the lightweights though, they are often 8% abv or more.

Oh my goodness, you mentioned La Fin Du Monde (The End of the World)... that stuff is awesome. Only had it once but it came in a 1L clasp-and-cork bottle. Awesome stuff. Its from Quebec, so I don't know if you'll be able to get it.

Not hoppy beers... I don't really know what you mean. If not India Pale Ales (too bad, I love them) then I'll second whoever mentioned Wheat beers. Try any unfiltered Wheat Ale... cloudy, sweet, totally different. Love in my belly.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    EskimoDave wrote: »

Location would help. You mention California. So I'll assume you're a west coaster American.

Some breweries to look for:
    Deschutes
    Sierra Nevada (fyi, the christmas beer is an IPA)
    Lagunitas
    Alaskan Brewing
    Ballast Point Brewing Company
    AleSmith
    Midnight Sun Brewing
    Russian River Brewing
    Lost Coast Brewery
    Anchor

I find the term 'hoppy' to be a bit misleading. A beer can be incredibly hoppy and have no bitterness or vice versa. There are many different smells and flavours to hops. They are broken down in to two groups, bittering and aroma. Some are piney smelling, grapefruity, cedary, lemony, floral, Columbus hops smell a bit like marijuana.

The best way to is just to go to a beer store and start buying a style(s) you like then branching out from that. Styles I recommend to start with based on the two you mentioned are:
    Porters
    Stouts
    Brown Ales
    Oktoberfest (out of season, you may find a few stragglers)
    Baltic Porters*
    Russian Imperial Stouts*
    Dunkels
    Winter Ales/Winter Warmers
    Belgians**
    Bock
    Double Bock*
    Rauchbier and other smoked beers.
    Wheat Beers***

* High alcohol, may find them 'hot'
    ** Huge variance in styles we can go in that more if you want.
    *** Wheat beers are incredibly easy to get in to. They come in many names; Weisse, Hefe-Weizen, Wit, White, and the near extinct Gose.

Its Winter now, so check out those winter seasonals. I just picked up several bottles of different breweries here in BC's winter seasonals. Most winter ales tend to be more malty, roasty, toasty, and some are spiced.

Another BC boy :) Granville Island Winter Ale should be exported globally, that stuff is amazing.

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Do you have a Bevmo nearby? They usually do weekly beer tastings. For 50 cents you get to taste 6 beers. I've found a lot of stuff I wouldn't normally try this way.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    uean wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Oh my goodness, you mentioned La Fin Du Monde (The End of the World)... that stuff is awesome. Only had it once but it came in a 1L clasp-and-cork bottle. Awesome stuff. Its from Quebec, so I don't know if you'll be able to get it.

La Fin Du Monde is truly a thing of beauty. If you can find it - which shouldn't be a problem, they distribute far and wide - definitely grab one.
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Do you have a Bevmo nearby? They usually do weekly beer tastings. For 50 cents you get to taste 6 beers. I've found a lot of stuff I wouldn't normally try this way.

BevMo is west coast exclusive. I never heard of them before I moved out here.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dogfish Head is one of my favorite microbrews on the East Coast. A tad on the expensive side at $9 for a 4-pack, but it's well worth it.

Their best brews tend to be IPAs, but you should definitely try the Midas Touch, the Punkin Ale (if you can still find it) and the Chicory Stout (which just came into season).

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    intro.gif

And one of my personal favorites

usa-four-peaks-kiltlifter.jpg

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Me and a friend instituted a sunday night drink night.

Every week we grab either a case of something totally new and a 6 pack of a tried and true, or a case of a tried and true and 2 new drinks

basically anything we have never tried, though occaisionally its something one of us has tried but is really good

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd second the recommendation on milk stouts. Normally I find a stout a little overpowering, but with the lactose adding some sweetness its just perfect. Haven't had one yet that I haven't liked, though the only named one I can think off of the top of my head comes from a brewpub tap in Toronto, so not too helpful for you.

Entriech on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Milk stouts sounds intriguing

I will need to find some of this stuff

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really want to try a milk stout now.

Suggestions I have:

Tetley's Pub Ale from the nitrocan is a fairly good simple ale--maybe simpler than your tastes, but I thought I'd recommend it anyway, because it's one of the better lighter ales I can think of. Its real smooth out of the can and tastes just fine at room temperature. I tend to pour it into a glass, although I imagine there's no law stating you have to.

Belhaven Scottish Ale, St. Andrews, and Wee Heavy - expecially from the tap, but I've had bottled. Another one you'll probably want to pour in a glass to enjoy, but maybe that's just me. Sweet, a little on the thin side, and with many flavors (talking about the Scottish Ale variety here).

Finally, Hobgoblin. On the expensive side, and I wouldn't worry about it unless it's on tap (if you see it on tap, get it immediately though!). Reddish-brown. Malty, bready, sweet. Delicious. One of my favorite tap beers ever.

Sorry they're all imports. Two local bars have beer list programs, and another one has a five random beers for $10 thing (which is always 2 cheap, 2 medium, and one slightly expensive), and those are good ways to try new beers and find something you like even if you don't finish the list. Also, find a local bartender who really loves beer, and you can go far on his advice as well. They usually like people interested in their hobbies, and I've had bartenders give me samples of several beers, just to see how I judged them.

piL on
  • Options
    UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Considering he said he's not into IPAs and "hoppy" beers I'd recommend against Arrogant Bastards.

Unibroue does make some excellent brews, and I'm partial to Maudite myself. You might also try Young's Double Chocolate Stout, which always seems to be a favorite with people just getting into the range of beers. You can't really go wrong trying Belgians. Maredsous is a fantastic suggestion, as is Duvel and Kwak.

UnreadableHulk on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    he should be able to get maudite stuff though honestly it will probably be too much for someone just branching out.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    See if a local bar or restaurant offers "beer flights". Usually for a reasonable price, they will let you try a selection of different beers, while telling you a bit about each type of beer. They are also ordered for the best tasting experience and are served at a smaller size than a normal pint (like 6 oz or so). You will most likely find this type of thing at places that advertise a large beer selection.

You can also try finding local breweries, these places usually have free or cheap tastings done by people who know a ton about beer. They can talk about different types and why they taste the way they do.

Both can be very enlightening and educational, not to mention a ton of fun :)

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah, I'm actually on the East coast (in Virginia).

I've tried a few Hefe-Weizen beers before that are pretty good.

By "Hoppy" I specifically mean anything in the style that many of the IPA's mentioned have to their flavor.

I've never really had a Belgian. Every place I've been to with a tap has essentially either had a "fine" selection of Bud/Miller/etc, or are strictly micro brews/house beers. Many of those house/micro's can be excellent, but fairly limited in terms of obtaining for consumption in my own home.

Places that sell beer that I've been to do not have anyone on hand that has any real knowledge of what they sell, and do not provide any sampler... so I'd be flying blind with what to branch out from. I also do not know of any beer store near me that is decent at the moment. They tend to only get things from major breweries, so might have a few of the more unique brews from them at best.
    Oh, another Va guy. If you're in/near Richmond, stop by a Total Wine and More. Legend (local micro brewery) just started selling their lager and brown ale in bottles, that's good stuff. Williamsburg Alewerks is another Va based brewery that has some good stuff... I enjoyed their porter. Duck Rabbit, which I mentioned above, is in NC or SC, I forget.

For you guys looking to try a Milk Stout, the Duck Rabbit one is delicious, but it's ridiculously highly carbonated. You'll definitely need to pour it into a glass (the "right" way to drink a beer, but even with these fancy beers I tend to stick to my barbaric, straight from the bottle drinking ways).

I'll second Hobgoblin, which Pil mentioned. It's a bit more watery than I generally like, but it's still good.

A couple more suggestions while we're at it:
    Skullspliter - it's expensive, but it's good. No, the name is not referring to your headache the next day. It's delicious and named after a fucking viking king. You don't get much more awesome than that.

Kostritzer Schwarzbier. The only place I've seen this is Capital Ale House, but since you're in Va, that might be feasible. It's also obviously available elsewhere, I just don't know where. It's dark, dark, dark stuff. Looks like motor oil. What's really interesting about it is the hint of black licorice flavoring. I know that sounds nasty, but seriously, it's fucking delicious.

Capital Ale House also tends to have people on staff who know and love beer, I believe. I've only been there a couple of times, because it's also fucking expensive, but they have a huge beer list and can make good suggestions. There are a couple people at my Total Wine and More who are beer people, too, who give me suggestions and point out new beers that they really like. I go to the one at Midlothian Tpk and Robious rd if you're in the Richmond area.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    uean wrote: »
    EskimoDave wrote: »

me typing too much

Another BC boy :) Granville Island Winter Ale should be exported globally, that stuff is amazing.

Its nice. But I find it tastes too vanillaee. Try the Red Racer Winter Ale from Central City (Surrey), or my favourite from last year Father John's Winter Ale by Howe Sound (Squamish). Red Racer comes in 6 packs and the Howe Sound are 1 litre swing tops.

I bought a R&B Auld Nick yesterday. Also got Granville Island other winter seasonal - Jolly Abbot, a strong dark belgian style ale. Never had them yet. Going to try soon, can't wait.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dogfish Head is one of my favorite microbrews on the East Coast. A tad on the expensive side at $9 for a 4-pack, but it's well worth it.

Their best brews tend to be IPAs, but you should definitely try the Midas Touch, the Punkin Ale (if you can still find it) and the Chicory Stout (which just came into season).

The 90 Minute IPA is incredibly balanced and I would say its more malty than hoppy. Its the only beer I have drank of theirs, however I do have a 60 minute sitting in my beer closet. I really want to try that new beer they are making for the Extreme Beer Festival (EBF). They're using plantain flour in it. There is contest to come up with a name for it. You have to be attending the EBF to be able to enter though.
    Stone's Arrogant Bastard

And one of my personal favorites

IMG]

Arrogant Bastard would be probably too hoppy for the OP right now, but I've never had it. I missed my chance at the Great British Beer Festival this year. That's what I get for leaving the World Bar until the second to last friday.

Kiltlifter would be a style right up the OP alley. Scottish Ales are much heavier on the malt side of flavours, however this can lead them to being quite sweet.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Another beer to take a look into from the hometown crew:

Are you a whiskey fan? You could try yourself a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. It has that woody whiskey taste, and a scent of bourbon that's pretty enjoyable. It's the only bourbon beer I've ever had, so I don't know where it stands when compared to others. Also beware the 8.7% alcohol; that can sneak up on you fast if you're not paying attention.

piL on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you are in or near Northern VA, here are some places you should check out:

Old Dominion Brewery: last I was there they had a really good stout and a good ale (not very hoppy). If they still do their summer beer festival that is totally worth going to - you get to check out beer from up and down the east coast.

Hard Times Cafe: this is a chain specializing in chili, but they normally have a great beer selection.

Sweet Water Tavern: they brew their own beer and go through lots of different types. You could go one month and again the next and not find much of their beef repeated.

The Brickskellar: I think they hold a world record for most beers. Most are bottled, but there are literally hundreds of beers and you can definitely find one you like.

Total Wine has already been mentioned, but there is a good chance there is one near you. Try Saranac Caramel Porter or Rogue Mocha Porter for some beers you'll probably like.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If you are in or near Northern VA, here are some places you should check out:

Old Dominion Brewery: last I was there they had a really good stout and a good ale (not very hoppy). If they still do their summer beer festival that is totally worth going to - you get to check out beer from up and down the east coast.

Hard Times Cafe: this is a chain specializing in chili, but they normally have a great beer selection.

Sweet Water Tavern: they brew their own beer and go through lots of different types. You could go one month and again the next and not find much of their beef repeated.

The Brickskellar: I think they hold a world record for most beers. Most are bottled, but there are literally hundreds of beers and you can definitely find one you like.

Total Wine has already been mentioned, but there is a good chance there is one near you. Try Saranac Caramel Porter or Rogue Mocha Porter for some beers you'll probably like.

I've heard good things about Old Dominion, Sweet Water and the Brickskellar. Brickskellar has the largest selection in the USA with over 1000 beers, Delirium in Brussels has the largest selection in the world with over 2000 beers.

Sweetwater has a pot theme with all their stuff, but their dank tank productions sound good/interesting.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    HakiHaki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd just like to reiterate how fantastic the Unibroue beers are, Trois Pistoles, Maudite and La Fin Du Monde are among my favorites.

Most of the New Belgium stuff, I.E. the people that make Fat Tire, is pretty fantastic for middle of the road beer, their Abbey and Trippel are pretty great if you like the Belgian type stuff.

Sierra Nevada also makes a good stout and porter, and Red Hook's ESB and darker things are also pretty good, and I would assume easy to find en masse.

Deschutes Brewery also makes plenty of fantastic beers, my favorite being their Black Butte Porter, not sure if they're everywhere or just in the northwest.

As far as extremely specific stuff that may or may not be available everywhere, as I've heard Seattle has it pretty good in terms of beer selection and may be a bit spoiled, here are some things in the medium to dark deliciousness range:

Storm King - Victory - Imperial stout - Really, very powerful, was my first beer and still one of my favorites.

Old Rasputin - north coast brewing co. - Imperial stout - Another pretty beefy mug of obsidian glory.

Blue Dot - Hair of the Dog - Double IPA - it's hoppy, but it really is very well balanced, and I'm not that in to the hoppier stuff like Pliny the Elder and the like, but it's worth a shot.

Ten Fidy - Oskar Blues - Imperial Stout - stuff has some serious body, comes in a can.

Chimay - Bières de Chimay - various Belgian styles - the blue one is the most mild, sticks with the general spiced banana flavors that most Belgians have.

Those are the ones I regularly return to. Also, here's a general overview of the styles if you're interested without having everyone say things about esters or toasted coffee with dark chocolate and bee's rectum is as follows:

Imperial Stout - Dark, Thick, Bitter
    Stout - Not quite as Dark, Thick and Bitter, but still quite a bit so
    Porter - Dark, some are pretty thick, but usually much more mild
    ESB - Usually lighter with some bitterness, doesn't taste like flowers
    IPA - Bitterness varies, it's a different type though, tastes like flowers or pine trees
    Doppelbock - Beer flavored syrup
    Bock - Beer flavored caramel
    Barleywine - ehh...
    Brown Ales - take the flavor of budweiser or whatever and intensify it a bit, usually tasty but very basic
    Hefeweizen - Not sure how to describe these, but they have a different base flavor and tend to be pretty crisp
    Belgian dubbels/abbeys - They tend to have a banana-ish aftertaste, tons of variance but that seems to be the common underlying theme
    Belgian Trippels - Same flavor vein as the doubles, but stronger, alcohol wise, and some can have quite a bit of bitterness on the first taste
    Pilsners - usually stray towards the IPA style of hops, light and flowery, many are quite tasty though
    Scottish ales - have a habit of being very sweet, thick and syrupy

Hope something in there can help you! <3 Beer <3

Haki on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'll second Old Dominion. I had something of theirs recently, although I can't for the life of me remember what. I know I liked it, though.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sour ales are interesting.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My fav is Chimay Grand Reserve
    Always delicious! I have many Chimay Glasses.

Also, my every day drink is Yuengling, and being on the east coast it should be everywhere for you.

rfalias on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Oatmeal stouts:
    Terrapin Beer Co. Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout -It's exactly what the name sounds like. An oatmeal stout brewed with coffee for a lot of coffee flavoring.

If you're ever passing through Iowa, Millstream Colony Oatmeal Stout is really good too. Although their best is Schild Brau Amber*.

*Four time consecutive winner at the Great American Beer Festival. Double gold winner at North American Brewer's Association.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Oatmeal stouts:

If you're ever passing through Iowa, Millstream Colony Oatmeal Stout is really good too. Although their best is Schild Brau Amber*.

*Four time consecutive winner at the Great American Beer Festival. Double gold winner at North American Brewer's Association.
    As luck would have it, I grew up in Cedar Rapids, so I spend a week or two there every couple of years to visit friends and family. Now I need to find somewhere to record this so that I don't forget about it by the next time I go there.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One of the best stouts I've ever had was Lion Stout from Sri Lanka. Simply amazing. I already saw Clipper City Brewery show up. I've loved everything they've ever made. They also have a great tour if you ever goto Baltimore. Victory makes some great bears. I love their Golden Monkey, and my girlfriend loves their Sunrise. Shocktop is good and easy to find.

Namrok on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're into dark beers, and have tried a Russian Imperial Stout (and enjoyed it), try to get your hands on a bottle of Three Floyd's Brewery's 'Dark Lord'.

It is released once a year in limited quantities as a fund raiser for charity. You can usually find bottles for trade/sale on many of the beer review websites (see: Beer Advocate). It is definitely one of the finest beers I've ever had.

Otherwise, you and I have roughly the same palette for beer taste. I've found the following beers are widely available and fairly delicious:

Smithwick's - (Ireland) Irish Red Ale

Robert The Bruce - Three Floyd's Brewery (Regionally Available in Midwest Around Chicago/Indiana) - Scottish Style Ale

Warsteiner Dunkel - Warsteiner Brauerei (Germany) - Dunkelweizen (German Ale)

The list could go on and on, but these are simply a few specific makes of beer that I enjoy thoroughly. Just look around a local liquor stores/pubs for some of these.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You could go Fullers... The London Bitter or the dark porter are amazing.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    t_catt11t_catt11 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    piL wrote: »
    I really want to try a milk stout now.
    Finally, Hobgoblin. On the expensive side, and I wouldn't worry about it unless it's on tap (if you see it on tap, get it immediately though!). Reddish-brown. Malty, bready, sweet. Delicious. One of my favorite tap beers ever.

Possibly the best beer in existence. Spitfire is pretty strong, also. Far easier (for me) to get is Smithwick's... not too shabby.

On this side of the pond, I'm a huge fan of Goose Island Nut Brown.

Sadly, here in Alabama, the only shot I have at anything decent (i.e. dark) in most social situation is a Guiness. Not that there's anythign wrong with that... just wish we had more variety here.

t_catt11 on
    Santa4Me.com: Personalized letters from Santa Claus!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm kind of a snob, but here goes:

Gouden Carolus-Belgian Brown Ale
    Chimay Grande Reserve (the blue one)-Trappist Ale
    Kasteel Tripel
    Delerium Tremens: Belgian Blonde
    Delerium Nocturne: Forget exactly what it is but it is yum!
    La Fin Du Monde: Amazing Belgian-style French Canadian beer.

Personally I like the Chimay the most, but only by a bit. They are all wonderful.

Also, consider a Framboise Lambic. It's really different and sweet, but delicious.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.