As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Expanding Beer Palate

2»

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know if they ship that far, but my favorite right now is Tommynocker Maple Nut Brown.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Deadfall wrote: »
    I don't know if they ship that far, but my favorite right now is Tommynocker Maple Nut Brown.
    Tommyknocker makes some good stuff and is definitely here in Virginia. On the rare occasion I'm in the mood for something lighter, their Jack Whacker wheat beer is usually towards the top of my list to pick up. I didn't care for their double bock, though, which kind of surprised me. Maybe I just got a bad batch of it or something. It kind of tasted like soap.

Jimmy King on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think I've had their double bock, but their Maple Nut Brown, oh man.

I'm not usually a fan of sweeter beers, but Sam Adams makes a blackberry wheat that's pretty good. I usually go for stout and bitter, but the blackberry wheat was surprisingly tasty.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Erios wrote: »
    I'm kind of a snob, but here goes:

Gouden Carolus-Belgian Brown Ale
    Chimay Grande Reserve (the blue one)-Trappist Ale
    Kasteel Tripel
    Delerium Tremens: Belgian Blonde
    Delerium Nocturne: Forget exactly what it is but it is yum!
    La Fin Du Monde: Amazing Belgian-style French Canadian beer.

Personally I like the Chimay the most, but only by a bit. They are all wonderful.

Also, consider a Framboise Lambic. It's really different and sweet, but delicious.

Not much of a snob if you don't know that Delirium Nocturnum is a strong dark ale (and delicious).

EskimoDave on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    As luck would have it, I grew up in Cedar Rapids, so I spend a week or two there every couple of years to visit friends and family. Now I need to find somewhere to record this so that I don't forget about it by the next time I go there.

Any Hy-Vee should have the sampler cases at least. But yeah get that written down.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No one here a fan of:

291px-Yeungling_Bottle.jpg

I am a huge fan.

Shit recently became a legal import in my state. Couple local bars had it on tap within days of the release.

Have been a happy camper ever since.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why was Yuengling not legal in Ohio? Do you guys have trade embargos on Pennsylvania or something?

Jimmy King on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    Why was Yuengling not legal in Ohio? Do you guys have trade embargos on Pennsylvania or something?

I think it's still not legal in Ohio. I live across the river in WV and we just got it in May 2009.

When I was still in college I was close enough to the WV/Penn border that ever few weekends we would gather up cash and make a run north for beer.

EDIT --

After some wiking and googling it looks like legality and export/import laws didn't have much if anything to do with it.
    It's just a thing with coverage and distribution.

Regardless, we have it in WV now so I am happy.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Honestly, anytime I want to try a new beer, I go on BeerAdvocate, see what is getting good reviews, and then go seek it out. This system has yet to fail me.

Vater5B on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I think it's still not legal in Ohio. I live across the river in WV and we just got it in May 2009.

When I was still in college I was close enough to the WV/Penn border that ever few weekends we would gather up cash and make a run north for beer.

EDIT --

After some wiking and googling it looks like legality and export/import laws didn't have much if anything to do with it.
    It's just a thing with coverage and distribution.

Regardless, we have it in WV now so I am happy.
    WV is backwards sometimes.

You should see if you can find anything from Yards brewery. They have some pretty good stuff. I like their Irish Brawler and their Philly Pale ale. but their ESB is good too. They have a bunch of not quite pale ales that are delicious. I can get it in Pittsburgh so you probably could get it in WV

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Have people mentioned Belgian Wheat Beer yet?

Because I LOVE Belgian Wheat Beer.

Alternatively- Red Ale, when done well, has a ridiculously complex taste profile, and can please a variety of palates.

Arch on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone have any good advice for a reputable online store to order some of the harder to find items?

I'm certainly taking note of pretty much everything listed in here. Some I've tried, some I have not. I stopped by the (or one of) Stone brewery in Cali last time I was there for instance.

EclecticGroove on