As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to Earth-1, please enjoy your stay.

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
Well uh

holy shit they're actually doing Ultimate DC
That major publishing event we mentioned earlier today? Well, here it is.

Original stories featuring Batman and Superman in graphic novel form from the biggest creators out there. But these aren’t one-offs. We’re talking ongoing series of OGNs in a new continuity, on a new Earth.

Sound appealing?

Starting next year, DC Comics will unveil SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE and BATMAN: EARTH ONE, two graphic novels spotlighting the most powerful heroes of the DC Universe, with their first years and earliest moments retold in a standalone, original graphic novel format, on a new earth with an all-new continuity.

Return to Smallville and experience the journey of Earth’s greatest adopted son, as he grows from boy to Superman in SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE by J. Michael Straczynski and artist Shane Davis.

Watch from the darkest corners of Crime Alley as a young boy is struck by unbelievable tragedy that will forge the greatest crime-fighter to ever stalk the rooftops of Gotham City in BATMAN: EARTH ONE, by writer Geoff Johns and artist Gary Frank.

What does JMS have to say? Well, here’s a snippet from his first interview on the subject:

“What I’m trying to do is to dig in to the character and look at him through modern eyes. If you were to create the Superman story today, for the first time, but keep intact all that works, what would it look like?”

“It is monumental for us as comic readers to see Superman birthed for the first time,” Davis said. “It’s a privilege to realize that you’re the artist that gets to draw it, better yet having the luxury to do it in an original graphic novel. This is going to be epic!”

What about Geoff Johns? Well, we happen to have a bit from his first interview as well:

“BATMAN: EARTH ONE allows Gary and I to break the restraints of any continuity and focus on two things: character and story.”
superman_leveledlores.jpg
batman_fnl3.jpg
alfred_fnl3.jpg

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JMS description sort of makes it sound like this will be the DC version of Marvel's Ultimate Universe. I'm wondering how the superman origin is going to play out, because we currently have one going on right now.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty sure Ultimate DCU deserves it's own thread.

It's not like we are running out of space

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I think it warrants it's own thread as well.

I like the batsuit and Alfred looks bad ass, but I kind of wish they had gone somewhere with Superman's suit. It never changes.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Interesting to see John's doing a Batman book since his previous characterizations of Bruce has been questionable. And I don't mean that in a bad way, it's just a bit obvious he doesn't put Batman on the same pedestal Grant Morrison does.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I really want to see where Johns goes with Batman. I'm really happy that he is in support of Earth-1 though. He loves going back to Silver Age basics, but since this universe is a clean slate he'll have to work off his own stuff, which is usually great.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If the stories are going to hardcover format first it would be nice to see DC price them at $19.99 instead of $24.99 unless there is a huge page count or something.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wonder how much you get for an OGN page wise. I'm thinking 3 issues worth (if it was actually 5-6 that would be pretty good).

It's just, again, why? What DC is basically saying is "Hey, you know the Superman Definitive Origin book out right now? The one that we think is better than the two well written origins that came before it? It's not new reader friendly, so ignore that and check out another origin, where you have to build up another character, etc." On top of this, DC had the One Year Later jump to make Superman new reader friendly.

The Ultimate line worked at the time because there was a gap between comics and the yet to bust through glut of comic movies, coupled with bad stories in the main universe (Spider-Man was bad, and X-Men completely dropped the ball when the movie came out). They're trying to copy it and you can't on something like this.

And it's not like Batman and Superman are hard to follow right now, especially Batman.

And again, a projected 2 OGN's a year? I think it might actually be longer than that because the artists will slag off with greater leeway.

I'm just skeptical because DC has basically given up with what they are currently trying to do with their big two characters right now in the main universe (and it's not really that hard to follow).

And Geoff Johns doesn't write a good Batman.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Because All-Star Batman and Robin / All-Star Superman weren't parallel univers-y enough!

Tach on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    It's just, again, why? What DC is basically saying is "Hey, you know the Superman Definitive Origin book out right now? The one that we think is better than the two well written origins that came before it? It's not new reader friendly, so ignore that and check out another origin, where you have to build up another character, etc. On top of this, DC had the One Year Later jump to make Superman new reader friendly.

This is basically my opinion. How many Superman Origin stories do we really need? For that matter, how many Superman continuities do we need?

Honestly, is Superman really that reader-unfriendly that they need to have yet another re-start? All this smells like a bad idea. Mind you, some interesting comics might come out of it, but a bad idea is a bad idea.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Because All-Star Batman and Robin / All-Star Superman weren't parallel univers-y enough!
    I do not understand this mentality at all.

The All-Star Books are essentially elseworlds. They are there to show the 'idealized' version of the character in the hands of one of the best writers/artists of the character. They are not a brand new universe that is rebooting continuity for a new generation.

It's like saying Ultimate Spider-Man is unneccesary because we have Marvel Adventures Spider-Man.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2009
    I like the batsuit except for the logo

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if new characters and situations are introduced, i'm all for this

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Blankspace wrote: »

The All-Star Books are essentially elseworlds. They are there to show the 'idealized' version of the character in the hands of one of the best writers/artists of the character. They are not a brand new universe that is rebooting continuity for a new generation.
    Then what the hell would you call this new attempt? Because that's exactly what they're doing... again. This isn't going to be regular continuity, and it's not a post-crisis reboot.
    It's like saying Ultimate Spider-Man is unneccesary because we have Marvel Adventures Spider-Man.
    No, it's like DC is saying "How many books can we sell using the same characters?"

And, yeah- I thought Marvel's Ultimate universe to be pretty silly too.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Then what the hell would you call this new attempt? Because that's exactly what they're doing... again. This isn't going to be regular continuity, and it's not a post-crisis reboot.
    No, it's like DC is saying "How many books can we sell using the same characters?"

And, yeah- I thought Marvel's Ultimate universe to be pretty silly too.
    The All-Star line was not a new universe. It was a series of miniseries(ASBAR is technically an ongoing but meh) that was each in it's own universe.

This is a brand new blank slate of a universe. They are completely different.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just don't see why Birthright wasn't the generation defining origin story. The Planet was a web paper, for crying out loud! I would be much more interested in something that started in the middle of things.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The All-Star line was not a new universe. It was a series of miniseries(ASBAR is technically an ongoing but meh) that was each in it's own universe.

This is a brand new blank slate of a universe. They are completely different.
    Was the All-Star line in regular continuity? No. As you said, they were their own universes. While not complete reboots, they were a way to tell different stories about the same characters outside of their regular continuities.

Which is the same thing being introduced with Earth-One, and the same thing Marvel did with the Ultimates.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about that.

Tach on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Because these appear to be brand new ongoings?

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    They are ongoing OGNs for now, yeah.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Langly wrote: »
    I just don't see why Birthright wasn't the generation defining origin story. The Planet was a web paper, for crying out loud! I would be much more interested in something that started in the middle of things.

And the nice thing about Birthright is that it complemented Man of Steel, so that both could stand on their own or together be the "complete" origin. The story about Superman first appearing in Metropolis saving the space shuttle, that was still intact.

Everyone knows Superman's origins. If they don't, it is their fault. James Bond movies aren't hard to follow, we all know he's a British spy.

If DC wants JMS on a Superman book, put him on a title after the current New Krypton stuff.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not terribly interested in these, but then I imagine DC's really aiming outside the direct market with these.

Really, I just have no need for more Batman and Superman stories, set outside mainstream continuity, as told by these particular creative teams. A big part of the appeal of the All-Star books, or something like the Joker OGN or Wednesday Comics, was seeing creators who don't produce a lot of work show their takes on the characters.

Maybe these will be fantastic stories, and if I hear as much following their release, I'll certainly pick them up. But for now I'm not all that enthused to read books by creators whose work I regularly see, about characters who have a constant presence on the stands.

Now get Geoff Johns and Gary Frank to do Earth-1 Beefeater, and my morbid curiosity may just compel me to check it out.

Munch on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cannot wait for Crisis on Two Earths 2013.

Anyhow, I hope these deviate enough from the mainstream universe to make them worthwhile. Not just a retelling, but an actual different story.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd like to point out that this is Earth-One, not Earth-1. 52 uses numbers, pre-crisis used the spelled out versions. Not sure where this stands, but it's clearly not an Earth from 52/in-continuity, so shouldn't be referred to as Earth-1. All in favour of destroying the Multiverse again say Aye.

Also, after all previous uses of Batman by Johns, I dread seeing how he handles him in a book all by himself.

KVW on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What does OGN stand for?

Also, I really like aspects of the Ultimate Marvel universe. I actually prefer some of the Ultimate characters to their 616 characters. I think there's room for this in DC as long as they keep it small and controlled and different. If they're just gonna retell stories that have already been told, then there's not much point. But if they plan on giving us a slightly different spin on some of the characters, then I'm all for it.

Of course, I already have too many books on my pull list, and I will most likely trade-wait any Earth-1 books.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    What does OGN stand for?

Original graphic novel.

Basically, a TPB consisting of material not previously published in a serial/monthly format.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh, so these books are going directly to trade? There won't be a monthly? I guess that rules out the need to trade-wait it.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Screw that, I'm going to Absolute-wait it.

Only once these are collected into 1,000 page, leather-bound tomes will I buy them.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    BUG: How does SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE fit in with current continuity? The name suggests that it could be either part of it or an all new start from square one for the character.

JMS: At this juncture, the book operates outside DC continuity. At some point way, way down the road, some of that may be folded in, but again that's a long ways away.

From the Aint It Cool News interview announcing Earth-One. I like how it amounts to the same reasoning behind every other Superman origin retelling. If it's popular, we'll use it in continuity. If not, we got your money anyways. Same premise behind Birthright and Secret Origin. Birthright, in particular, was in continuity for all of 5 minutes before they started contradicting it and moving on towards a new one.

KVW on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wait wait so we're saying these new OGNs aren't a part of the Multiverse that DC just had to have back so it could tell stories just like this?

i hate the multiverse

Rans on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I would be interested in this if I didn't see this being a part of the multiverse thing.

Just keep it like ultimate is kept seperate and then we'll talk.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Why does it matter if its part of the multiverse or not? Typically, the multiverse never mixes anyway. Other than Superboy Prime and Alexander Luthor, most of the 52 are completely independent of each other. There has never been a crossover or anything with the standard DCU and the New Frontier world, for instance, and I'm pretty sure they've stated that New Frontier takes place in one of the 52.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Why does it matter if its part of the multiverse or not? Typically, the multiverse never mixes anyway. Other than Superboy Prime and Alexander Luthor, most of the 52 are completely independent of each other. There has never been a crossover or anything with the standard DCU and the New Frontier world, for instance, and I'm pretty sure they've stated that New Frontier takes place in one of the 52.

I think a lot of people spent a lot of money on 52, COuntdown, Final Crisis, etc and are a little miffed that the multiverse isnt used for anything. Then, a project comes along that is perfect for it and named after a multiverse, yet isnt a part of the official multiverse. It's not something that stops them from buying it or alters the quality of it, but it is disconcerting to most.

KVW on
  • Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i think it's just a problem with the stupid branding of "Earth One"

"here, we're going to use a familiar naming convention for this brand new take on old characters, and this naming convention will be exactly the same as this OTHER thing we use to tell brand new takes on old characters, but they'll all have nothing to do with each other."

it's stupid and overly confusing for no good reason

Rans on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Reading JMS's interview on AICN, it sounds like his story is extremely similar to Secret Origins. For example:
    JMS wrote:
    And when we join our story, the Daily Planet is on the downward slide...it's where new reporters come to learn and old reporters come to die.

Well, that's exactly what Secret Origin #3 was!

I wonder if JMS actually knew about SO when he was penning this. It sounds like he's not going to take any risks here or change anything up at all, and I imagine Johns will have him beat in terms of the classic, ideal Superman origin. So I have to say I don't have much interest in the first volume of Superman: Earth One

Edit:
    JMS wrote:
    one of the elements of the story is the fact that growing up, Clark would have been even more of an outsider than we've seen previously. Every kid gets in schoolyard fights, but Clark would have had to walk away or just take the punches, because if he slipped for even a second, he could kill the other kid. This would have gotten him a reputation as a coward, a weirdo, and he'd have to hear that every day in the schoolyard...

That was also a major part of Secret Origins. Hmm...

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LegendaryTLegendaryT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm guessing in direct parallel to Ultimate Spider-Man having the 616 costume, EO Superman will still have his underwear on the outside.

Johns' Batman looks like it's going to be more brave with Riddler being Bruce's first major supervillain and a revised Alfred.

But of course what makes it fantastic is that when the books come out they'll be available in complete form. I'm really digging that.

LegendaryT on
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You know what would be awesome?

If they started the whole Earth One thing with some other DC characters. Maybe New Gods, The Flash, or Teen Titans. I just feel like Superman and Batman origins are common knowledge at this point. My mom knows Batman's origin.

You want to know Green Lanterns origin, go watch the animated movie. Don't like that one, wait for the live action GL movie. Same for Batman, Superman and Wonderwoman.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm interested in seeing page counts, price points, frequency, and size (do they go standard format, or something larger like the Dini/Ross books, etc.).

I doubt I'll give the JMS book a shot, given my general disinterest in his non-creator-owned work. I'll buy the Johns/Frank book just because I like that creative team. Hopefully we'll get lucky and Johns will get the origin stuff out of the way as quickly as possible.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    LegendaryTLegendaryT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    If they started the whole Earth One thing with some other DC characters. Maybe New Gods, The Flash, or Teen Titans. I just feel like Superman and Batman origins are common knowledge at this point. My mom knows Batman's origin.

The Big Two will always be icebreakers for DC.

Now let's see if Hawkman, Wonder Woman, or Green Arrow can ever get a title.

LegendaryT on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'd be shocked if Hughes Wonder Woman book doesn't get rolled out this way.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'd actually really love to see an ultimates version of Wonder Woman, for lack of a better term. Her standard character is all sorts of messed up and a complete retelling would be a great way to fix the character, even if the fix is in a side universe.

They need to pick a theme and stick with it. Gail Simone is driving me crazy with this whole game she's playing with is Diana gonna stick to her Greek roots or not. I mean, she swore fealty to Pele or some crap, which is an Aztec god. She abandoned her sisters and Themyscriya only to return like 2 issues later. The whole thing is just a mess.

I say reboot her in Earth One, give her a new costume that more closely resembles amazon battle armor. Give her a sword or axe as a permanent fixture and not just a random weapon for every now and again, and change her star spangled image to be more of a world-hero instead of strictly an American hero.

Lucascraft on