As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WCK's Drawings - The Good, the Bad and the Badass

• Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Secret between you and me... I cant draw cars for shit!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Been working on this bad boy this afternoon.

j8049j.jpg

Theres going to be little houses and a jetti near the river

This is actually pretty nice, feels a lot more confident than your other environments.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    cheers man. i agree with it looking more confident. iIve stopped focussing so much on the technical aspects (perspective, blending, technique) and mainly focussed on trying to have a concept/tell a story.
    Ive started this pic tonight. might develop it further tomorrow

n51o2d.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cheers man. i agree with it looking more confident. iIve stopped focussing so much on the technical aspects (perspective, blending, technique) and mainly focussed on trying to have a concept/tell a story.
    Ive started this pic tonight. might develop it further tomorrow

n51o2d.jpg

I love the emotion on this one.

Enc on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like this one but the detail in the sink hole is contrasting quite badly with the rest of the image. You either need to bring up the detail in the rest of the image, or lower the detail in the sinkhole.

Mustang on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Looks like you plopped a photo in to photoshop. Did you plop a photo in to photoshop?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    I like this one but the detail in the sink hole is contrasting quite badly with the rest of the image. You either need to bring up the detail in the rest of the image, or lower the detail in the sinkhole.

Cheers man. Yeah it doesnt go well. Its temporary until i work out what the hell im going to draw there. I was thinking maybe a bunch of cult memebers performing a sacrifice, kinda like in indiana jones. Adding some cool fire to contrast against the icy blue walls.
    Looks like you plopped a photo in to photoshop. Did you plop a photo in to photoshop?

Sure did. Its from a photo of some really awesome looking reservoir.
    *i got lazy*

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lame.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    it's not so much the lazy bit that's disheartening.

It's when shortcuts like that yield better results than actually putting the time and effort in...

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ive been working on this image for about 5 hours today (no photos used:))
    Started with a rough thumbnail composition and have developed it to the point where i'm happy with the compositon and content, and am ready to re-draw over it using a colour palette.
    Ive come up with 4 colour schemes using the layer filters. I'm not sure what one to pick. Anyone like any in particular?

29uzrbs.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm.......

I'm not one to knock away environmental design (because it's absolutely vital to do if you want to find work in the industry), but a lot of these concept art pieces wouldn't pass inspection if it were in a real studio.

If they're simple practice studies (which i'm sure they are), then just keep doing whatever you feel, but if you're trying to plug it for a portfolio, it'd be very wise to go beyond basic monochromatic color schemes.

I won't go into detail with this cause I got assignments and housework that needs to be done, so i'll leave it up to you if you'd like more feedback.

Godfather on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Lame.

I think you would be surprised how often concept artists use photos in the work to quickly punch up their ideas. Fine illustration really isn't the point of concept art despite that sometimes it makes fine illustration.

On the other hand, the only people who can effectively do this are the people who understand the fundamentals well enough to be able to splice the two almost invisibly. IE, WCK shouldn't really be doing this quite yet.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes to that. I totally don't have a problem with such shortcuts, as long as they're invisible.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    If they're simple practice studies (which i'm sure they are), then just keep doing whatever you feel, but if you're trying to plug it for a portfolio, it'd be very wise to go beyond basic monochromatic color schemes.

These are just studies, BUT, i am treating them as though i am actually trying to score a job with these (i.e giving it my best effort). For a lot of my more recent work, i've been looking a lot more at colour and trying to generate something which is more interesting which tells a story and mood.
    Godfather wrote: »
    I won't go into detail with this cause I got assignments and housework that needs to be done, so i'll leave it up to you if you'd like more feedback.

I'm going to be spending today working on this one, and i'll post an update later. I'd appreciate some more feedback/advice if you get a chance.

IE, WCK shouldn't really be doing this quite yet.

Definately agree with that.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lame.

I think you would be surprised how often concept artists use photos in the work to quickly punch up their ideas. Fine illustration really isn't the point of concept art despite that sometimes it makes fine illustration.

On the other hand, the only people who can effectively do this are the people who understand the fundamentals well enough to be able to splice the two almost invisibly. IE, WCK shouldn't really be doing this quite yet.

Oh yeah, I know concept artists do it and I don't have a problem with it at all. But WCK is not working in a high-pressure job with a suit breathing down his neck clamoring for new art for his hot new intellectual property, he's got nothing to do BUT spend time doing the best he can.

So I guess I don't see how presenting a sketch with some dropped in photographic elements (without flagging for us which parts we're to take as his work and which parts are lazy imports) is going to help him improve. I mean, take out that photographic element and the image is a half-completed doodle at best. When the element dropped in to 'punch up' the image is the best thing about the work, something's wrong, and WCK will just flounder in mediocrity unless he learns to actually render stuff.

Like you said, now isn't the time to be resorting to short-cuts. Now's the time to deconstruct the problem using what he knows so far and put his knowledge to work solving it. Otherwise he might come to rely on photoshop bullshit and it could really undercut the development of someone who we've all spent time providing feedback to, and really want to see level up his Art skill.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I have an update of my latest pic. Its taken a lot longer than i thought it would to add the details (i decided to add more defining lines now in the greyscale version, before i do the colour paintover) Im really trying to define the shapes and planes on the cliffs. If anyone has any general thoughts or opinions id like to hear them. also, im trying to lead the viewers eyes from the high contrast area under the bridge - to the castle - then to the little dude climbing the stairs. Is this idea working?

nwihok.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Again the derivation from natural perspective connections is throwing me off. Check your lines and see what i mean.

I also don't think the structure makes much sense. A mansion built ontop of a fortified base seems pretty unconventional at best. Where does that huge gate lead into? The basement of the mansion?

Why is that man carrying a light when we can clearly see the entire surroundings (supposedly) from the the light flooding in the canyon and surrounding the fort/mansion.?

It just doesn't add up.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bwanie wrote:
    Again the derivation from natural perspective connections is throwing me off. Check your lines and see what i mean.

Yup particularly where the staircase curls, that's particularly wrong.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    bwanie - you're right about the mansion looking weird. I'll start re-designing that using references. As for the man carrying the light... it was going to be a nighttime shot, but i thought i have done too many of them lately. Still need to fix that up. :)

mustang - im not sure how i'd go about fixing the staircase. do you mean the steps are out of perspective, or the shape of the entire staircase? (if its the shape of the staircase, im not too sure how i should go about fixing it)

below is the perspective grid, if that helps with critique.

2m31mb8.jpg

cheers fellas.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Y'know, you've thrown me now. I know it doesn't look right but I can't figure out why... i'll have a think about it and get back to you.

Mustang on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    The horizon is tilted maybe.

bombardier on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The stairs do not seem to be in proper perspective, they seem like they are slanting upwards.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i played around with it in photoshop a bit, but now Im thinking it may be that everything looks really narrow, like ive taken the image and squashed it together.
    i took the image and stretched it out a little. What do you guys think?

24vm96w.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    gonna gave the above pic break for a few days and come back to it with a fresh mind

Been working on this picture for about 4 hours now. I can tell my pencil work is improving, but im still unsure about how to apply the line directions to imply form. Still a bit iffy at the moment.
    347wdxl.jpg

2qn9j4y.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, the landscape doesn't work because it's essentially an escher drawing.

The guy at the bottom of the stairs is as big as the doorway at the end of the bridge, which would be fine if the bridge was supposed to be further away from the viewer than the guy at the bottom of the stairs.

But those two parallel beams running from underneath the bridge door connect with pretty much the same plane that the guy at the bottom of the stairs is on, so it makes absolutely zero sense. It throws any sense of scale out of the window.

Your perspective set up doesn't do much to help the mood of your image either - If you want things to appear towering and huge, looming over your character, maybe your horizon line should be much lower in the frame. I'd also suggest pulling your vanishing points closer together - it will make the image pop into 3D space with more oomph, and mimic a wide angle lens as a result. Think about more interesting ways to convey your idea through framing and composition too -- you seem to be doing a lot of middle-distance 2D views with superficial 'scale' stuff to create the illusion of depth (ie, big rocks in the foreground, misty horizon in the background, crisp flat detail in the middle). What about seeing the guy climbing up the stairs from WAY above, peering down on him from the very top of the tower? Or putting the viewer just behind his shoulder as he looks up at the tower?

A lot about perspective is just doing it on the 'vibe' of what's right - you can correct as you go. But if that's failing you, you should be starting with discrete geometric shapes - cubes/rectangles - to get your most important shapes down first, and to create the form of your castle - then start digging in and cutting away to create the details finer details.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    oh, also you have two horizon lines.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You're right about experimenting with more interesting compositions/perspective angles. I'll try fixing it up, but if its still not working i'm thinking i may just take what ive learnt from this and start over from the beginning. Cheers for the crits dude!

Also, spent another 2 hours on this. had to re-draw his left eye a few times but i think ive finally got it right!

2hi5bux.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    :^: The fact that you're doing this and spending your time on it is huge. There are some things that I could point out, like not having the bottom plane of the eyelids in there quite yet, but I'm not going to get on your case about it quite yet.

24 hours to go! Make that sucker shine.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey look I did this thing to illustrate all the words I wrote:

wck-over.gif

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Thanks robots. I can see how that adds more interest to the shot.

Worked more on this image. I think i'm sick of it now :)
    I'm using bond paper for this, which 'm really liking. the pencil marks dont gloss as much as on regular paper.

f5ajya.jpg

EDIT: also, may as well post these studies ive done. working on female anatomy a bit lately.

bhkbyc.jpg

69pbnk.jpg

24mf2o4.jpg

2ms0vvq.jpg

2a818na.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That statue drawing is looking fantastic! Almost certainly the best thing I've seen you draw.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cheers man. A lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into this. Plus a few drops of spilt coffee 8-)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Last bunch of figures look really nice too, your lines are looking more confident + + + +

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cheers man. some more before bed

21j5bwk.jpg

fxurfm.jpg

6ignj6.jpg

33ehpxe.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Some new studies from today
    focussing on different methods of building the figure. Plus, im finally understanding how weight distribution and hip/shoulder direction works ! Yay!
    1o6afp.jpg

35a1ab9.jpg

tasuop.jpg

21alqhg.jpg

102l6qv.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I would avoid reffing those magazine type photos of women. They tend to be blasted with a head on flash and airbrushed to hell and gone...which doesn't make for a very good study of how light would react under normal conditions.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Haha. True. I searched the net today and found some really good photography websites with great contrast lighting which really shows the form of the figure.

Im finding i'm really slow at these anatomy studies. I see people on conceptart.org who are doing about 10 pages a day! I'd be lucky to do a quarter of what they do! Though i guess its not quantity, but quality.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Speed comes with skill......apparently.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    spent all day on these. im very sloooooooowwww. Might switch back to to Bridgeman or Loomis studies tomorrow, just to mix it up a bit.

2h6xc74.jpg

m8zejl.jpg

2i1m6i1.jpg

1o3vww.jpg

inxszr.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Some studies from today

2epsheb.jpg

2iu2ddl.jpg

Working on this without a reference. Trying to apply what ive learnt in the last week, without the help of a reference image. Trying to test myself i guess.

2ai28nk.jpg

winter_combat_knight on