As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Welcome to Earth-1, please enjoy your stay.

• Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm interested in seeing page counts, price points, frequency, and size (do they go standard format, or something larger like the Dini/Ross books, etc.).

I doubt I'll give the JMS book a shot, given my general disinterest in his non-creator-owned work. I'll buy the Johns/Frank book just because I like that creative team. Hopefully we'll get lucky and Johns will get the origin stuff out of the way as quickly as possible.

Page count for getting on book store shelves is like 100 pages minimum I think with rare exceptions. OGN or trades are required to be around that number. Joker (Azzerello one from last year) was 128 pages if im not mistaken. I would expect similar counts for Earth-One for it to get listed on Amazon, show up at B&N, etc. Otherwise, it'd be a one-shot at the comic shop/direct market like everything else and defeat the purpose.

Pricewise, expect similar to Joker, which Im beginning to look at as something testing the waters, and clock in at about $19.99 with no ads. Frequency was quoted by Johns as tentative 2 per year for Earth-One OGNs. And, to further go with the Joker sizes, it was 10.4 x 7 inches with a hardcover. Earth-One may try for softcover versions, though, not sure. Looked up comic sizes and floppies are 10 ¼ × 6 ⅝", so slightly bigger, but nothing noticeable and most likely related to trim from hardcover overlapping pages.

KVW on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just two per year huh? I'm sure if the first two sell like crazy they can crank out at least 4 per year, like a seasonal thing.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Looking at the creative teams - no, I doubt they can manage more than 2 per book per year.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I would be interested in this if I didn't see this being a part of the multiverse thing.

Just keep it like ultimate is kept seperate and then we'll talk.

They already broke that rule.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    LegendaryTLegendaryT Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    I would be interested in this if I didn't see this being a part of the multiverse thing.

The Ultimate Universe was already broken.

Concept decay is inevitable.

LegendaryT on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    You know what would be awesome?

If they started the whole Earth One thing with some other DC characters. Maybe New Gods, The Flash, or Teen Titans. I just feel like Superman and Batman origins are common knowledge at this point. My mom knows Batman's origin.

You want to know Green Lanterns origin, go watch the animated movie. Don't like that one, wait for the live action GL movie. Same for Batman, Superman and Wonderwoman.

Earth-One New Gods would be incredible.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    But who would you get to do it? I bet something like a Paul Pope E1 NEW GODS would be really good.

Also, maybe there'll be a Morrison/Jim Lee JLA book in this line - I bet they could probably produce 64 pages in a year. Maybe.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's sad that the only things I can think of for this line would just be dream versions and finalization of things that have already happened (i.e., more Morrison on JLA). It's hard to think of a dream project that would actually be possible. The closest I could come would be Grant Morrison taking on the Zen version of the Vic Sage question. Maybe Bedard on GLC.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well I mean with characters that are like 80 years old, there's not a lot of new directions you can even go. I mean, what possible alternate path could they take Batman on? Make him more dark and brooding? Make him super campy? Its all been done already. Same with Superman. He's already gone through pretty much every imaginable scenario, including being born into communist Russia. I mean, there's just not a lot of room to reinvent these characters.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well I mean with characters that are like 80 years old, there's not a lot of new directions you can even go. I mean, what possible alternate path could they take Batman on? Make him more dark and brooding? Make him super campy? Its all been done already. Same with Superman. He's already gone through pretty much every imaginable scenario, including being born into communist Russia. I mean, there's just not a lot of room to reinvent these characters.

Ah but what if Batman was the Joker?

:winky: Huh? Huh?

LegendaryT on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It's not so much that as it is that the talent pool at DC is just as shallow as everyone says, and two of their three top-tier exclusive creators have already been announced on this project, with a Morrison book probably on the way.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Morrison is hopefully busy with the Multiversity. Or banging bitches that hear they're making a movie about him...

KVW on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Morrison is hopefully busy with the Multiversity. Or banging bitches that hear they're making a movie about him...

I trust Morrison to skillfully juggle shit.

And besides that, with all the hints that Morrison would be on WW soon, this seems like the avenue for it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gah, I missed this thread before posting in the News thread.

So who in their right mind would put Geoff Johns on a Batman book and why on earth would I pick it up over Batman books that're written by people that understand the character (specifically Morrison and Dini)? I mean, do we really need Batman to be an unlikeable dick again? Did anyone actually like that Batman?

As far as Superman Earth One goes, I'm not sure what the point is if the only difference between it and DCU Superman is Superman's age and marital status. I guess all the dicks that wanted him to get divorced will love it though.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only thing I'd like to see come out of Earth One: Batman is him and Wonder Woman together

I'm not even that connected to the idea like some people are, but I think it's a neat concept

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2009
    it is a terrible concept because it should be Batman and Catwoman

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So who in their right mind would put Geoff Johns on a Batman book and why on earth would I pick it up over Batman books that're written by people that understand the character (specifically Morrison and Dini)? I mean, do we really need Batman to be an unlikeable dick again? Did anyone actually like that Batman?

Gary Frank art, Gray Frank art, Batman might not be a dick, some people do.

LegendaryT on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It could be Batman and female Commissioner Gordon!

Although that's a joke, I think it would be interesting to take the Batman mythos to really different places (not implying gender swaps are enough) if they're serious about getting away from the shackles of continuity. Like Lucascraft said, they've been through so many stories, it would be a shame if all they produce is a modernized, iconic take on them.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Batman and Wonder Woman is the same thing as Superman and Lois Lane. A normal with a meta. It isn't really that novel of an idea.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, because Lois Lane and Batman are totally the same thing.
    Keith wrote: »

Hey, I love Catwoman, but they do more goddamn will they or won't they with them than they did for Jim and Pam

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Batman and Wonder Woman is the same thing as Superman and Lois Lane. A normal with a meta. It isn't really that novel of an idea.

The problem is that Batman and Wonder Woman don't really fit together well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »

Hey, I love Catwoman, but they do more goddamn will they or won't they with them than they did for Jim and Pam

Except Batman and Catwoman fuck all the time

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I'm really not sure how you came up with that comparison. So you think meta/human couples are all ripoffs of Superman/Lois? o_O

I thought JL/JLU teased it really well so I'd be pretty interested if DC actually went through with it. Won't happen anyway, since Earth One is probably going to be the same as the DCU but without the baggage (Superman married, enormous Bat/Super families, etc).

LegendaryT: But would you prefer Gary Frank work on that or next years Superman event?

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I like Gary Frank's work on Superman except for his Superman because he just looks like Christopher Reeve

Kind of like how I love Tim Sale's Batman stuff except for his Batman (and Joker)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The designs make me think that this batman will be very soldier-like, which could be an interesting direction to go in.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The designs make me think that this batman will be very soldier-like, which could be an interesting direction to go in.

Yeah, Detective Comics is pretty interesting.

Keith: Huh, the only problem I've had with his art is that his faces can look a little doll-like at times.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »

The Ultimate universe has never crossed over with 616. The closest they've ever come is that they've both crossed over into the Zombie-verse, and I'm not entirely certain that they were the same Zombie-verses.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Earth-One Catwoman better have long hair.

If they're making Alfred a marine instead of a former MI6 agent, that would mean he served in the Falklands.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Joe Quesada has stated the Ultimate universe will never cross over into the 616 universe and so far he's stuck to his guns. There really isn't any need to if you think about it.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Unless he's killing people, I don't think it's a good fit.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wouldn't that be mindblowing?

You open the book to the first page of Earth-One Batman and BAM, Batman shooting a dude in the head, with Geoff Darrow levels of gore and viscera.

Turns out that Earth-One Batman is actually pulp Batman!

Munch on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm calling it now, they will somehow make Bruce's Dad be similar to Bernie Madoff, and that will be the reason his parents are killed.

Bruce sees him as a good person, but the world sees him as a douche.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Rans wrote: »
    wait wait so we're saying these new OGNs aren't a part of the Multiverse that DC just had to have back so it could tell stories just like this?

i hate the multiverse

haha

I'm not sure how I feel about this whole thing. I'm tired of origins, and I don't even read most of them. everything is always the same, but just tweaked a tiny bit. It is always white dudes, or aliens who like white dudes, saving Western civilization. It is tiresome.

I am all for the multiiple realities thing. It allows different versions of characters to exist, which allows all kinds of stories to be told. It just feels like a lot of these "different stories" are really similar to the point of tedium.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Joe Quesada has stated the Ultimate universe will never cross over into the 616 universe and so far he's stuck to his guns. There really isn't any need to if you think about it.

Because Joe Q. has NEVER lied about anything.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You open the book to the first page of Earth-One Batman and BAM, Batman shooting a dude in the head, with Geoff Darrow levels of gore and viscera.

Speaking of, it'd be just as interesting if the alternate take on Superman drew from the alternate origin where he was sent back from a doomed future Earth rather than a doomed planet. Astro City's Samaritan already did something similar, though Samaritan's mission to change the past and the implications of temporal colonialism were never examined in depth.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Because Joe Q. has NEVER lied about anything.

Noone said that. He said Joe Q said Ultimate will not cross with 616, I don't think it has.

Pulp Batman killing the shit out of the Joker would be rewarding. If they are going to do "realistic" takes on the Bat-verse, they need to address things like the Joker killing dozens and dozens of people.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Speaking of, it'd be just as interesting if the alternate take on Superman drew from the alternate origin where he was sent back from a doomed future Earth rather than a doomed planet. Astro City's Samaritan already did something similar, though Samaritan's mission to change the past and the implications of temporal colonialism were never examined in depth.

They should have it so he's sentto Earth as a child to conquer it because his power levels at birth were determined to be relatively low and he'd be able to use their sun to wipe out anything. Then, 20 some odd years later, his brother can come check on him and finds out he's befriended the humans! He'll be stronger, but by teaming up with Lex Luthor, Superman can defeat this threat only to perish in the fight. Lex will dedicate himself to humanity afterwards, but Superman will come back to life after everyone finds out there are even more Kryptonians coming to destroy Earth far more powerful than his evil brother.

What?

KVW on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    KVW wrote: »

They should have it so he's sentto Earth as a child to conquer it because his power levels at birth were determined to be relatively low and he'd be able to use their sun to wipe out anything. Then, 20 some odd years later, his brother can come check on him and finds out he's befriended the humans! He'll be stronger, but by teaming up with Lex Luthor, Superman can defeat this threat only to perish in the fight. Lex will dedicate himself to humanity afterwards, but Superman will come back to life after everyone finds out there are even more Kryptonians coming to destroy Earth far more powerful than his evil brother.

What?

Oh lord, that was perfect.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So Lex Luthor = Piccolo?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

Red Son already did that.

Fencingsax on