As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona]: the Strange Journey is underway. Suit up!

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    an_alt wrote: »
    Elendil is exactly right. Having that save point right there and realizing that one team member is almost done the current mantra is only one step away from a prison without walls.

Edit: There was a Matrix reference in there, but this post is already too geeky...

And then you get the problem where, after maxing that character's mantra, somebody else is now almost done. So you grind some more and max that, then your 3rd character is nearly done. And after that, then your first character is now almost done his new mantra.

Yeah, that's exactly my point. The only way out is to get enough cash for the awesome mantras* and have everyone at 1/8th of the current mantra at the same time.

Two Saturdays ago I actually had a full free day and probably had time to finish up DDS2 if I'd put my mind to it. However, I found my way to
    level 3 of the sun
    and just couldn't get away from it. There was just so much hunting to do. So many useful skills. So much money to spend on mantras. So many incomplete sentences...

*awesome being relative to your progress, of course

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    an_alt wrote: »
    Elendil is exactly right. Having that save point right there and realizing that one team member is almost done the current mantra is only one step away from a prison without walls.

Edit: There was a Matrix reference in there, but this post is already too geeky...

And then you get the problem where, after maxing that character's mantra, somebody else is now almost done. So you grind some more and max that, then your 3rd character is nearly done. And after that, then your first character is now almost done his new mantra. So you...

It's a never ending spiral of grinding.

Yup. However, I would change the last sentence to "It's a glorious never ending spiral of grinding."

Macca becomes the roadblock after a time.

Zephyr_Fate on
    edited December 2009
    Nah, that's when you just start taking the cheaper mantras that you'd ignored up until that point. Suddenly the macca starts growing again.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not as spoiled as I was in DDS1, since I started from scratch in DDS2 to import all the dead uber boss data.

I'm at the EGG Facility, so
    the body count is coming. :( Most messed up moment in any RPG ever.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a Ps2 related question.
    Is it possible to get a Ps2 to look halfway decent on my 32" lcd without having to buy component cables?

Rizzi on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It looks fine on my 26".

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Don't listen to cj, he has no eye when it comes to graphics. I think he can't actually tell the difference between Persona 4 and Mario RPG. Rizzi you're basically screwed on the games actually looking good. They're always going to look fuzzy around the edges because that's just how the PS2 is. My suggestion is to sit as far back as the cord for the controller will allow. It's harder to see the fuzzy borders surrounding everything when you're 10 feet away.

Gilder on
    edited December 2009
    Oh, yeah I accept that things will always be a little fuzzy. I think the last time I tried to play my Ps2 on this tv I was trying to play Snake Eater and everything was.. Rather broken looking.

Rizzi on
    edited December 2009
    Granted, I still play Sega CD games on this thing, so I have decidedly lower standards.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    And I thought Abaddon was tough before.

Ouch.

Wow, never mind. :lol: One lucky run. Toasted.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So not even DDS2 is safe from Messian/Gaian drama.
    Order will decide.
    Angel wrote:
    The strong will rule and the weak will perish. We need not order, but chaos.
    Yeah, but you don't really get to side with anyone. The Embryon were promised Nirvana and they're not gonna settle for anything less.

Except Heat. Because he's an asshole.

Which is kind of a refreshing change for the series. None of this lesser-of-two-evils garbage.

WotanAnubis on
    edited December 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So not even DDS2 is safe from Messian/Gaian drama.
    Order will decide.
    Angel wrote:
    The strong will rule and the weak will perish. We need not order, but chaos.
    Yeah, but you don't really get to side with anyone. The Embryon were promised Nirvana and they're not gonna settle for anything less.

Except Heat. Because he's an asshole.

Which is kind of a refreshing change for the series. None of this lesser-of-two-evils garbage.

Yeah, DDS2's crew is Neutral by default, like Roland says.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WAGH! I thought Nanako-chan really died! WHY DID THEY DO THIS TO ME?

blaze_zero on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    Pff, I wish.

Yeah, yeah I said it

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited December 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Pff, I wish.

Yeah, yeah I said it

I hate you.

blaze_zero on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think the plot would've been more dramatic if it really had happened. Instead they just chickened out.

Gilder on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was just kidding!

I love the little turd.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gilder wrote: »
    I think the plot would've been more dramatic if it really had happened. Instead they just chickened out.
    Definitely
    I get that something drastic had to happen to make the characters consider doing what Naoto suggested, with leaving him in the TV World himself, but...it was cheap, the way she just came back all happy and normal if you decide not to

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited December 2009
    Man, I had to quit after 12/3 in Persona 4.
    I wanna know what happens with Teddie! I don't even care about him! BUT I STILL WANT TO KNOW DAMMIT.

DON'T TELL ME THOUGH.

blaze_zero on
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, I had to quit after 12/3 in Persona 4.
    I wanna know what happens with Teddie! I don't even care about him! BUT I STILL WANT TO KNOW DAMMIT.

DON'T TELL ME THOUGH.

I forget, is that right before or right after he turns into a giant mecha and flies to Tokyo?

Aydr on
    edited December 2009
    Right after.

blaze_zero on
    edited December 2009
    Oh ok good I was afraid I might have spoiled that for you.

Aydr on
    edited December 2009
    Someone should have told me
    Kanji dresses up as a girl.

I am scarred.

blaze_zero on
    edited December 2009
    Someone should have told me
    Kanji dresses up as a girl.

I am scarred.

(spoilered for youtube imbedding)
    Not a particularly impressive remix but worth it just for the first picture. Is it just me, or does Kanji actually look more badass than his usual all-out attack picture?

Aydr on
    edited December 2009
    That's a remix of the Persona PSP intro theme too.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    So I guess I'm going out to find some component cables for my Ps2 today. I tried to play GTA San Andreas and it was so fuzzy I couldn't see anything on screen except for brown.

Rizzi on
    edited December 2009
    Well, shoot.

Imagine updates.
    Aeria wrote:
    Hello Megaten Players, we have some festive news for you today!

-Coming Soon: Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online would like to not only wish you a Happy Holiday season, but would also like to bring in the season with some new content! What kind of stuff are we bringing you? How about some NEW ZONES and QUEST LINES!

New content UPDATE Details

-Holiday Content:

20091117_1546_54.jpg

-Your favorite Jack brothers are teaming up once again to give you some quests that will make this the most interesting in game Holiday Season you have ever had! Don’t miss your chance for your shot at Special Holiday items, Special Plasmas, and other cool events and features that Jack Frost and Pyro Jack have in store for you.

-New Zones:

20091119_1513_36.jpg

After much anticipation, we will be unveiling multiple new zones, including the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building in Shinjuku! New quests will be involved with these zones as well, including some mischief from a new foe, Beelzebub! Find out what he’s up to and stop him at all costs!

20091119_1633_00.jpg

Other new zones and quests include a solo quest line which will throw you head first into various alternate realities, and also give the opportunity to confront unique monsters and bosses within the mysterious Obelisks!

-Future Updates: Stay tuned for more upcoming content later this month and moving into the new year! We will make sure that Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online ends this year and starts the next one off on the right foot!

Just when you thought it was safe to quit.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It is safe to quit, cj.

It's been safe to quit for months.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That almost makes me want to run around again.

Then I remembered the grinding and conversation system.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited December 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    It is safe to quit, cj.

It's been safe to quit for months.

But there's...

Beezlebub?

I just want to see that story finish whatever it is it's leading up to. Maybe an all-encompassing apocalypse.

There's characters mentioned in dialogue that you never even meet.

I hardly ever play it, but I do enough that I'd follow more story acts.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    Speaking of Beez:

Has anyone actually beaten the high score in the Dyaus Shmup Minigame in DDS2?

I managed to clear all three stages for the first time, but I only had ~450k.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That new area looks like a recolored shinigawa

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
    edited December 2009
    It probably is. Cave are nothing if not lazy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I logged in there like 2 weeks ago, to see if those new motor cycles were any good. When I tried to ride one my whole screen just went green.

I'll probably log in to check this out though too I suppose.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
    edited December 2009
    So yeah, the new area is live.

It's at the gate by the armor shop in Shinjuku Babel.

In a word? Creepy.
    20091209_1926_50.jpg

20091209_1927_58.jpg

It's like right next to the tower, so it's larger there than it is anywhere.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2009
    Okay, apparently this new stuff is L50+ only.

So screw that.

On a lighter note!

http://www.nintendopower.com/images/NP250_Shin.jpg

SMT SJ is in the next Nintendo Power.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    can we label spoilers with which game they are from so i don't accidentally read any more about the game i am currently playing

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited December 2009
    Yes, we should be putting many things in spoiler tags since people often stumble into this thread for the latest SMT game, then decide to play all the older ones after.

So for DDS2 optional bosses...
    I'm level 5 of the sun and I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end game, so I looked online about fighting Satan.

Holy shit, is it really a get to level 99, max the stats, get nearly all the mantras, demi-fiend level fight? I swear I remember someone in this thread saying Satan wasn't nearly up to demi-fiend's caliber, but what I read online implied that he was.

Also, if I decide to finish the game now and leave Satan until I get some time off, what are end game levels for DDS2 hard mode? Are low 60s up to snuff or would I need to spend some time grinding first anyway?

On an unrelated note, I ordered some Christmas presents from Play-Asia and just before checkout I did a search for 'Megami' to see if anything interesting was in stock. They had the soundtrack from Nocturne so I added that to the order, but I didn't see anything for DDS1. So I paid and in the confirmation email, it suggested the 4 disc compilation for DDS1 and 2. Bastards!

Oh well, now I'll need to find something else to make an order from Hong Kong worthwhile...

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Satan is based upon HP depletion. Each turn he changes his weakness, so you have to change yours in respect to that. Also, keep Seraph in human form, because Prana Beam helps you a lot, and you can get pretty good Crits from it. Keep a calculator handy, and use a guide.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Persona 4 School Trip.
    OMG Persona 3 Music. <3
    OMG Kings Game. <3

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.