As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Eve] n00b Question

chris66chris66 Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
I have two questions that I am hoping to have answered.

The first question is, why is talking in local such a huge deal such that people yell on Teamspeak and Vent? I can understand smacktalk but even the simple exchange of pleasantries is met with heaps and heaps of scorn.

And two, why is 'hey, I'd like to moon mine. Here is my written proposal following all of the Corp/Alliance rules. There are 20 free moons in our system' - akin to making public pronunciations about the chastity of one's Mother? Quite frankly I don't understand either. Especially the second one where a clear profit to the Alliance is to be made.

Am I missing something here?

chris66 on

• Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1. Depends on the corp/alliance, but many have a strict no talking in local when hostiles are around policy. Some people just don't want you saying shit, period. If you're in one of those alliances, you may consider finding a better one. I can see no shit talking in local, but none at all? Fuck that.

2. Moon mining as in you personally? "Noob" and "moon mining" aren't two things that work well together in the same sentence. Here's the thing about moons that generate high end materials; the good ones are taken already and wars/skirmishes are regularly fought over their control. The lesser ones that are still worth mining and aren't taken are pretty rare. Just because there happens to be moons without poses in your system, doesn't mean they're worth setting up a pos and modules and fueling. Also they make good targets for hostiles, so your alliance may not want to defend them when they get attacked.

I'm talking about 0.0 and lowsec here. If you live in empire, that's a whole other thing.

Also, the EVE thread is right here:http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=101329

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Selecta wrote: »
    1. Depends on the corp/alliance, but many have a strict no talking in local when hostiles are around policy. Some people just don't want you saying shit, period. If you're in one of those alliances, you may consider finding a better one. I can see no shit talking in local, but none at all? Fuck that.

2. Moon mining as in you personally? "Noob" and "moon mining" aren't two things that work well together in the same sentence. Here's the thing about moons that generate high end materials; the good ones are taken already and wars/skirmishes are regularly fought over their control. The lesser ones that are still worth mining and aren't taken are pretty rare. Just because there happens to be moons without poses in your system, doesn't mean they're worth setting up a pos and modules and fueling. Also they make good targets for hostiles, so your alliance may not want to defend them when they get attacked.

I'm talking about 0.0 and lowsec here. If you live in empire, that's a whole other thing.

Also, the EVE thread is right here:http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=101329

My buddy and I have done an extensive analysis on moon mining right down to the last detail. We have a moon picked out that's free, we can make a profit on what we'll mine and react. I am a n00b to 0.0 but not to the game. I was surprised when I asked about this. I had snotty Eve Mails sent to me and one person convoed me and called me a 'fucking idiot'. I was like "what? over moon mining?". There are tons of free moons in the sys where we want to set-up but I have no idea why the negative response.
    As for talking in local, even saying "hey, hows it goin'? as being bad...yeah I think that's a crappy rule.

chris66 on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I suggest you get a better fucking alliance, that's my advice. It sounds like you're playing with a bunch of d-bags. It's obviously not GoonSwarm, because we have a very strict "shit up local at all times" policy, which your alliance obviously does not.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I suggest you get a better fucking alliance, that's my advice.

^ This. And if you're in a nullsec alliance that shits on you over talking about moon mining, they definitely don't have much of a future. Especially if they hold space or have any plans to. Ratting doesn't buy cap fleets.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    To be "fair", they are probably shitting on him because they want to hoover up the delicious moon gold themselves, not because they are actually adverse to moon mining.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If any of you are interested in see my proposal, send me a PM and I will email it. Who knows, there may be a place for me in Goonswarm *shrugs*

chris66 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Unlikely, GoonSwarm is full of enterprising jews with moons. Any moon in GoonSpace worth mining is being mined already, that I can promise you.

Out of random curiosity, what alliance are you in?

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Unlikely, GoonSwarm is full of enterprising jews with moons. Any moon in GoonSpace worth mining is being mined already, that I can promise you.

Out of random curiosity, what alliance are you in?

Sorry man, no names no pack-drill.
    No moons left in Delve, eh? Crappy.

chris66 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    *shrugs* Given their stance on things, I can probably guess down to one or two alliances. There are only a few 0.0 entities that take that no-local thing seriously. When you've been in 0.0 as long as I have, you learn who they are.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    LordEnforcerLordEnforcer Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I will throw you a bone here Gnome :) .. First off I am "the buddy" Chris66 is talking about LOL
    and the "Alliance" is up north!

I do like the corp.. some good friends but they are trying to talk chris out of moon mining and I FULLY beileve the reason is like you say... they want the moons to themsleves..

I would love to come to a corp that we could PvP, Mine, Manufacture, Moon Mine (if possible), and/or any other options!

****Hey Gnome, Koreban, or any others interested in 2 more members with 5 Alts total... Chat/evemail me in game (LordEnforcer)****

Thanks guys... it is nice to see local chat can still be filled with bullshit and people cutting each other down SOMEWHERE in the GALAXY! :)

LE

LordEnforcer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I will throw you a bone here Gnome :) .. First off I am "the buddy" Chris66 is talking about LOL
    and the "Alliance" is up north!

I do like the corp.. some good friends but they are trying to talk chris out of moon mining and I FULLY beileve the reason is like you say... they want the moons to themsleves..

I would love to come to a corp that we could PvP, Mine, Manufacture, Moon Mine (if possible), and/or any other options!

I have no idea who this spy is.
    Spy!

chris66 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Judging by the quotation marks around the word alliance, and he said northern, gonna have to go with some variety of NC pet/renter alliance? There's so many now it's hard to say who...

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    LOL .... :P

You sound like you are back in WW2OL again Chris66.. OR SHOULD I CALL YOU

THEQUIG :P

LordEnforcer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    oh wait... I meant NORTHERN COALITION. Our corp/Alliance is a member.. That may help you narrow it down :P LOL

LordEnforcer on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    A member or a renter? You're in Morsis Mihi aren't you.

GnomeTank on
This discussion has been closed.