As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion, and Tutorials

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    No dice, it still goes from this...

2dh6ull.jpg

To this...

o6a5o5.jpg

EDIT: I've been using the free transform tool BTW. Unfortunately I get in to a situation like this...

2mesftt.jpg

Where I can't actually grab the anchor on the top left of the grid.

Flay on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You need to buy a book about Illustrator and read it. In the meanwhile, start with the help entries about “warp” and “Envelope Distorts.”

supabeast on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not sure I understand the shape you want to have. Can you draw it for us some other way?

MagicToaster on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm about to get my bachelor's and am looking for a place (significantly cheaper than SCAD) that might be worth looking into pursuing a Master's in the illustration field... anyone have any experience?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • edited December 2009
    I'm gonna build a TV camera prop for theater. I have the body down, but what can double as the lense?

piece of pvc piping with a piece of plexiglas/perspex in the end?

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok, what the hell.

I just switched from a "square" monitor to a widescreen.

Now when I go to paint in photoshop, it feels completely "off" or different.

How can I fix this, or do I just have to get used to it?

F87 on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Ok, what the hell.

I just switched from a "square" monitor to a widescreen.

Now when I go to paint in photoshop, it feels completely "off" or different.

How can I fix this, or do I just have to get used to it?

If I had to guess, what's happened is that the aspect ratio of your tablet is different from the aspect ratio of your monitor. I'd bet you have a 'square' (in this sense) tablet, and so it's stretching out that input to correspond to the widescreen monitor.

Is that correct?

If so, what tablet are you using, so we know what to suggest? Generically, there should be a setting in the Tablet control panel that lets you decide whether it's stretched to fit your screen, or a 1:1 correspondence.

mattharvest on
    edited December 2009
    Thanks, Matt. I checked out the tablet settings and fixed it.

Should have done that earlier..

F87 on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Thanks, Matt. I checked out the tablet settings and fixed it.

Should have done that earlier..

I know you fixed your problem, but I was wondering...

Is your new monitor a drastically different size than your previous one? I'm asking because I'd like to upgrade my monitor eventually and would prefer not to "relearn" my tablet using a larger monitor.

Any thoughts would help, if that makes sense...

NibCrom on
    edited December 2009
    The new monitor s a different aspect ratio. But I just adjusted the table area to the right screen size and it's perfectly normal now.

F87 on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In photoshop, is there a way to do localized cloud renderings? The only thing I know how to do is clouds which cover the entire image. I'm working on a drawing of earth from space, and I'd like to render some clouds on it, but only just on the earth part.

Lucascraft on
    edited December 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    In photoshop, is there a way to do localized cloud renderings? The only thing I know how to do is clouds which cover the entire image. I'm working on a drawing of earth from space, and I'd like to render some clouds on it, but only just on the earth part.

Use a layer mask? Or lock transparency might work?

NibCrom on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I second the layer mask.

MagicToaster on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When it comes to scanning in line art Im more then a little retarded.

Should I be scanning in work as b/w line art or as a photograph?

The photo scan seems to be a better quality scan but working with the image afterwards in photoshop seems overly difficult when it comes to adjusting the levels and contrasts to erase grey areas.

On the otherhand, the line art scan seems to produce a somewhat jagged final product.

Any suggestions on scaning tips I can find somewhere to read over?

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
    edited December 2009
    Is your line art pencil or inks?

NibCrom on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    I'll buy someone a beer if they can take a vid file and make a GIF to my specifications of it.

If you're of age. Otherwise you get a coke float.

Disclosure: It's totally for the lols on a different forum.

Sheep on
    edited December 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »

The line art I am trying to scan is inked.

I am trying to get up a website so I can store my art somewhere but I have had many people say my digital files look like crap because either Im not scanning my work properly or altering the levels in photoshop properly to adjust the scanned images.

Faded_Sneakers on
    edited December 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »

The line art I am trying to scan is inked.

I am trying to get up a website so I can store my art somewhere but I have had many people say my digital files look like crap because either Im not scanning my work properly or altering the levels in photoshop properly to adjust the scanned images.

Try scanning in pure black and white (not grayscale) and cleaning it up from there.

NibCrom on
    edited December 2009
    Alright cool Ill try that.

When it comes to cleaning it up is there a significant difference between using the "Levels" tool versus using the "Brightness and Contrast" tool in photoshop?

If there is which would you recomend?

Thanks for the help.

Faded_Sneakers on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Levels is much more sophisticated than brightness and contrast. Getting the hang of it takes a while (it took me a couple years), and it’s not an easy tool to describe in words, you just need to use it over and over until you finally figure it out. Once that happens you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it. Also, if you’re inking anyway, just get a lightbox or vellum and ink on clean sheets. Then you don’t have any pencil to clean up.

supabeast on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Levels shouldn't take long to get used to once you understand exactly what it's doing.

There are three sliders; they represent pure black (0), middle grey (128), and pure white (255).

The chart that they are below represents from left to right the 256 levels of value (light/dark) displayed in an image. The black vertical bars that construct that chart represent the actual values used in the image. (The taller the bar, the more pixels in the image at that value.)

As you move the sliders underneath, you are redistributing the assigned values for each pixel. For example, if in your image the darkest pixels start around a value of 30, and you slide the black triangle to that point, all of the pixels in the image that were previously 30 or darker are now pure black (0) and the pixels between those and the middle grey slider are evenly distributed to new values between. The same thing for the white slider.

(the numbers used here are for a grayscale or RGB image. CMYK images would simply be inverted with 0 as white and 255 as black.)

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.

Much appreciated.

Faded_Sneakers on
    edited December 2009
    Welp, I'm stuck on another simple photoshop problem.

A fairly simple task: I want to overlay two shapes of solid colour and have the colours in the area where they overlap mix together like so...

11feb05-cmyk1.jpg

I've done it before, and it should be simple, but I just can't for the life of me remember how right now. Opacity doesn't work, since that lets the background through as well as the other shape. Can someone jog my memory?

EDIT: Found an alternative solution in Illustrator. Group the objects then go to effect > pathfinder > soft mix. If it is possible to do in photoshop, I haven't figured it out just yet.

Flay on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    Put each circle on a separate layer, set each layer to "Multiply".

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited December 2009
    I tried that, but I doesn't quite work. Yellow over red make a darker shade of red, for example.

Flay on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You could always learn you some color wheel and do it manually.

rts on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    I tried that, but I doesn't quite work. Yellow over red make a darker shade of red, for example.

Don't you mean "yellow over magenta"? That could be your problem. (and Bacon's right, you need to put each color on a separate layer, and set the top two to "multiply". It should work!)

NightDragon on
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ok, so I'm posting here looking for some help. I need some work done, but I don't know what I'm doing so just go with the flow.

I got this image here. I'll link it because it's a little big. The problem is this image is a scan of a printout of a scaled picture that someone who's long gone made, so it is, pardon my French, très shitty. Using my meager skills in GIMP I was able to brighten up the colors a little bit, but I made the fuzzy stuff in the middle worse as well. Link to my distinctly un-Picasso-like skills.

Now, I know it's probably pointless for someone to try and clean it up. So I guess I'm looking for someone to help redo it. Sharpen up everything, correctly spell "its" at the top, and a good enough size to do different things with it (plaques mostly, maybe a small poster or something). Heck, if everything is 100% in the exact same spot, then that's fine with me.

This image is only used in our shop to display for ourselves or to use in a gift when someone leaves, nothing major. I'd be willing to reimburse for work done, but as I said, I've never commissioned anything before so you'd have to clue me in on that.

Thanks for any help/info,

Steven

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2009
    Mental note: learn colour theory...

Flay on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Flay wrote: »
    Opacity doesn't work, since that lets the background through as well as the other shape. Can someone jog my memory?

You could always duplicate the layers in white directly underneath your overlapping shapes and then change their opacity - that way the background showing through is blocked by the white.

I'm sure there's a more elegant way of doing it though.

Grenn on
    edited December 2009
    Ok, so I'm posting here looking for some help. I need some work done, but I don't know what I'm doing so just go with the flow.

I got this image here. I'll link it because it's a little big. The problem is this image is a scan of a printout of a scaled picture that someone who's long gone made, so it is, pardon my French, très shitty. Using my meager skills in GIMP I was able to brighten up the colors a little bit, but I made the fuzzy stuff in the middle worse as well. Link to my distinctly un-Picasso-like skills.

Now, I know it's probably pointless for someone to try and clean it up. So I guess I'm looking for someone to help redo it. Sharpen up everything, correctly spell "its" at the top, and a good enough size to do different things with it (plaques mostly, maybe a small poster or something). Heck, if everything is 100% in the exact same spot, then that's fine with me.

This image is only used in our shop to display for ourselves or to use in a gift when someone leaves, nothing major. I'd be willing to reimburse for work done, but as I said, I've never commissioned anything before so you'd have to clue me in on that.

Thanks for any help/info,

Steven

I'd be happy to do this work for you. If you're interested, then feel free to drop me a PM with your budget and timescales and I'll see if it's something I can take on.

Grenn on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My wife got me an Intuos 3 for Solsticemas. My last tablet was a dinky Graphire, so I'm not used to having all these extra buttons - what are some common Photoshop bindings? I plan on using the pen buttons for step backward/step forward, so I don't need those.

Delzhand on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You definitely at least need one for alt.

rts on
    edited December 2009
    I use:

Exchange
    Brush Size +
    Brush Size -
    Alt
    Shift Option

Can't remember the last one.

NibCrom on
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm sorry if it has been covered, but I'd like to ask this. I'm currently only starting out in drawing, with a few courses lined up so I may improve. My question here is what tablets are good for the budding artist? I'm looking at digital media because I don't have a lot of working space for physical mediums, whereas I've got a two monitor setup which I believe can aid in my pursuits and interests.

Is the WACOM Bamboo line sufficient? How are GENIUS brand tablets? My budget is about 200, and I'm open to other suggestions. Thank you!

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2009
    Inzigna wrote: »
    I'm currently only starting out in drawing... My question here is what tablets are good for the budding artist?

If you are starting out, then all you need is pencil and paper. My opinion is that tablets are not good for the budding artist.

I can understand people's enthusiasm about learning to draw and wanting to pick up a tablet straight away hoping that it will imbue them with wonderous abilities but in all honesty, if you genuinely want to learn, you need to start at the beginning. Get the basics down, learn your craft, hone your skills, work very hard and then the tablet will actually be much a more effective tool.

Grenn on
    edited December 2009
    Grenn wrote: »
    Inzigna wrote: »
    I'm currently only starting out in drawing... My question here is what tablets are good for the budding artist?

If you are starting out, then all you need is pencil and paper. My opinion is that tablets are not good for the budding artist.

I can understand people's enthusiasm about learning to draw and wanting to pick up a tablet straight away hoping that it will imbue them with wonderous abilities but in all honesty, if you genuinely want to learn, you need to start at the beginning. Get the basics down, learn your craft, hone your skills, work very hard and then the tablet will actually be much a more effective tool.

I understand, and I've been using the traditional mediums thus far. But very soon there'll be a distinct lack of physical space and I thought about migrating it over to making art digitally, thus asking around for entry level tablets. My current plan is to use pencil and paper first, until push comes to shove and I start seriously thinking about owning a tablet. For now I'd like to hear the general consensus so I would know what I'd like to have then. :)

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Intuos 4. However back to traditional pen and paper, I personally only use the tablet for cleaning up scanned line art and coloring. I (and I've had this conversation with co-workers who have the same issues) tend to move the paper around A LOT when drawing so a tablet just doesn't give me that freedom. I'd consider using a tablet as a completely new medium and if you are honestly just starting I wouldn't worry about one for at least a year. It's just not worth it right now.
    However they look cool and you feel like a ROCKSTAR so I understand the desire.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
    edited December 2009
    Aye, I will keep that in mind. It's highly doubtful I'll purchase one in the meanwhile, shall keep practicing instead. Good to know what's good out there though!

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Freelancing question. I am so clueless about the business side of illustration that its starting to become embarrassing that I've never actually done any kind of commission work or actually been paid for this shit. I am so clueless about some of this stuff, this needs to change or its going to soon become a matter of me being incompetent or something.

Is it stupid to even try to get little jobs without a big portfolio of my best work of FINISHED fully realized illustrations? So much of my time these days, and for the past few years really has been spent on study and personal enrichment that I only once in a blue moon poop out a finished illustration for its own sake. Should I stop the presses and not even THINK about getting work until I can assemble a good half-dozen+ examples of finished work?

I think ideally I want to see if I can do work for WoTC(D&D side, not MTG), White Wolf, Fantasy Flight, or other smaller RPG/boardgame/ccg/general nerdy shit games companies. Is this a ridiculous goal to start with or should I be ratcheting down my expectations and expect to have to start with like.. personal commissions or something.

Scosglen on
This discussion has been closed.