As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My First Stop Motion - Clay Animation, Honest feedback appreciated.

VitriolMotionVitriolMotion Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey there,

I’m new to these Forums and Stop Motion in general.
Here to get some of your opinions, on a small test.

Basically i recently developed an interest in Stop Motion Animation, so i thought i’d try my hand at a Clay Animation.
It’s very short, being my first attempt i was mainly trying to get a bit of basic experience and feedback, before undertaking a larger project.
It took about 2 weeks from start to finish.

You can view it here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnYPsbPoK-4

Hit me up on YouTube if you like it, or have something to say in general.
Much appreciated.

VitriolMotion on

• Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Really nice work! I made a couple short ones with Sculpey a couple of years ago (not as good as this). Digital cameras have made it a little easier. Have you seen the work of the Quay Brothers? Their version of Alice in Wonderland is still one of my favorite films.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I had to rate this work, I'd say it was "as good as that tool video but not as creepy"

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, I like this! So short though!

I know how taxing stop motion animation can be, so kudos for the effort.

I'm glad you started with claymation, because it's easily the most beginner friendly when it comes to this. Have you seen the Wallace and Gromit process video? It's horrifying at how long it takes to set up a single frame!

Godfather on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn cool. Not long enough though. In regards to the editing, i'd shorten the into titles. They are just as long as the cool stop motion footage itself.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Claymation takes an absolute eternity to photograph, but you really did a good job keeping it fluid (and the lighting and camera consistent). Way too short, but that's not much of a complaint - I mean, you've probably got hundreds of photographs just for this.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I'll be taking everything you've said into mind when i begin on my next project, which i've just completed story boards for.
    (So, yes it will have a 'proper' story-line this time!)

Cheers!

VitriolMotion on
  • Options
    JimpyJimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's ET doing in there?

Anyways I liked it a lot, I actually liked your background better it was very creepy. The animation is also fluid and I don't think there is any such thing as 'smooth' in stop motion.

Jimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Haha, see i would never have thought it looked like ET. But now everytime i see it, all i can think about is ET.

Cheers for the feedback.

VitriolMotion on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guy Bell wrote: »
    Really nice work! I made a couple short ones with Sculpey a couple of years ago (not as good as this). Digital cameras have made it a little easier. Have you seen the work of the Quay Brothers? Their version of Alice in Wonderland is still one of my favorite films.

This.

My sisters boyfriend bought me the dvd collection of all their films. Amazing work. Creepy, quirky, head scratchingly wierd stuff.

Your stuff reminds me a lot of the Tool videos, which is a good thing.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the Quay Brothers are great.

VitriolMotion on
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey is that how they did a nightmare before christmas? i love that kinda stuff

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, The Nightmare Before Christmas is Stopmotion.

VitriolMotion on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice start man. set looks great.

how extensive is your general understanding of animation? at the moment your movemnets looks a bit robotic.

if you're interested in character animation i strongly recomend reading up a bit on the basics. (animaiton principals) (this kind of stuff; Timing. Spacing. Arcs (Paths of Action). Anticipation. Squash & Stretch. Follow Through & Overlapping Action. Secondary Actions. Slow In & Slow Out. Exaggeration. Line of Action, Weight, Mass, Volume.) <- ot's good stuff. if you can mangae to get a grasp on this stuff here you can do some really killer stuff!
    what kind of a frame rate are you working with? if you're not already, you should be working at 12fps.

good luck man.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, since this hobby is so new; I have very little understanding on Animation at this point.

I appreciate your feedback and advice, i'll look into those principles.

Also, I don't film at a constant rate. But most of this test was done at around 20FPS.

VitriolMotion on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    then drop it to 12 son.

it'll make your process faster and the frame count is still high enough to maintain the illusion of movement.

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Good idea.

Although it's a bit more difficult for me to maintain constant FPS, since i don't use a camcorder connected to a computer, using frame grabbing software.

So i only see what i've done when i upload the photo's to the computer.
    Also makes it difficult to know where the camera was positioned if it gets knocked slightly etc.

VitriolMotion on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Your title sequence lasts for like half the total length of the video. Pet peeve of mine.

Ponge on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, i wouldn't have even included an intro for something so short.
    But i did want to intergrate the chroma key'd disintergration effect i created in some way.

So, i wasn't really paying attention to the duration of the opening. Should have made it allot shorter.

VitriolMotion on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ponge wrote: »
    Your title sequence lasts for like half the total length of the video. Pet peeve of mine.

Mine too.

Mustang on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Jimpy wrote: »

I don't think there is any such thing as 'smooth' in stop motion.

A little movie made 16 years ago would disagree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEK9mitagS8

shame they didn't even use it in the movie.
    Edit: just realized the irony going on here: Adam Jones (Guitar Player for Tool and designer of the characters in "Sober" video) worked on the Stan Winston design team for Jurassic Park.

As far as your video, I would steer clear of obviously mimicking any heavy influences, or using said influences' music in your title. Looks good other than that.

brokecracker on