As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Toons Fortress two 2

redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfixRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Social Entropy++
bg.jpg

Lads! Warriors! DEMOMEN! As I look out at ye with me tear-stained eye, I see the BEST BLOODY CLASS on the battlefield! No other class can deny it. They cannot stand against us man to man. Oh no. So they wheedle and deceive their way into our confidence, just to drive a shovel straight into our great, trustin' Achilles bloody hearts.

THIS WEEK, lads, we have been granted the opportunity for revenge—against our crew-cutted betrayer, against Brutus Benedict Arnold Judas Bloody Iscariot himself: the SOLDIER! Every Soldier who dies by a Demoman’s hand will be noted in the annals of war. And at the END of this week, when the smoke clears and the dead are tallied, it will be the Demomen who emerge as the most LETHAL BLOODY KILLERS the Soldier’s ever made the great mistake of crossin'!

The Soldier may take our LIVES, mates. They may betray us and they may break our hearts. But they will never take our SATISFACTION. When WE are given an EXCLUSIVE, SECRET EXTRA WEAPON UNLOCK that could have gone to them. And when they look BACK on this week, they will wonder: “Could I have fought HARDER? Could I have killed MORE?” And the answer is: Yes, you bloody well could have. AND THE OUTCOME WOULD STILL BE THE BLOODY SAME.

To war, my loyal Demos! To blood and scotch and bombs! To the death of our betrayers and the sobbin' sound of their dyin' regrets! TO WARRRRRRR!

from previous thread:

BASIC STUFF:

The update news page for TF2

The TF2 Blog

The SE++ steam group

A popular TF2 Wiki, and another one I just discovered.

DELICIOUS TIDBITS OF INFORMATION

Seriously, this stuff is useful.

Included: optimal rates, auto-reload, custom crosshairs, downloading maps, disabling custom sounds, how to get to mid, field of view, and a great config that will do much of this for you. The key words of each little bullet are in bold.
For starters, everything under multiplayer options (that's options-->multiplayer) is worth checking out. Disabling custom sound downloads is a necessity. Auto-reload is totally great, especially if you play without viewmodels. Custom crosshairs are a huge improvement (use bright green). Auto-heal is cool. Not automatically re-zooming as sniper just makes sense, and the minimal HUD is quite cool as well. Enabling the console and fast weapon switch (under options-->keyboard-->advanced) is a good idea too. There are probably more I'm forgetting.

If you ever need to download a map from a website rather than directly from a server (fpsbanana.com is good for this), the place you'll need to extract it to is your "\Steam\steamapps\(your steam username)\team fortress 2\tf\maps" folder.

If you feel like it, you can watch demos of good players. Gotfrag is a good place to go for this. Just download a demo and save or extract it to your \Steam\steamapps\(your steam username)\team fortress 2\tf folder. To watch the demo, type "viewdemo (demo name here)" in console, or type "demoui" or "demoui2" in console and load it from there. The ones on that website are mostly going to be from competitive players so you might not find it very interesting, but it could still be informative. (It's a good way to get better, but watching demos is, like, the nerdiest thing you can ever do.) You can also record a demo of your own by typing "record (demoname)" in console to start it and "stop" to finish recording.

Now that I've linked to gotfrag I might as well plug their new tips and tricks section. If you play soldier or demo, watch the "how to jump to mid" videos. They're not all perfect, but they'll help. I think learning how to get to mid fast on CP maps is probably the single easiest thing you can do to make your team win as soldier or demo. Also watch Jaeger's tips and tricks videos because they contain some cool little tricks. (The Bonk! one is so awesome and I never even knew about it.)

Connection settings stuff:

cl_interp .033 (see below for explanation)
rate "30000" (I've also seen people recommend 25000)
cl_updaterate "66" (I've also seen people recommend 67)
cl_cmdrate "66" (should be the same as the updaterate)
fps_max "67" (not really necessary, personal preference)

To change these values, find your config.cfg file in \Steam\steamapps\(your steam username)\team fortress 2\tf\cfg and open it in notepad, then just go through, find each value, and change the current value to the desired one.

So why do I recommend these?

cl_interp: As I understand it, your interp determines how often your game checks in with the server to see what's happening. The lower it's set, the more often your client will check in and the more accurate what you see on your screen will be. How low you can set it depends on your connection and how good the server is, but everyone should be able to lower it from the default value of .1 because that's absurdly high. cl_interp .033 would be okay for almost everyone as long as you're playing on a decent server to which you get a decent ping. To make sure your interp doesn't go to low, type "net_graph 3" in console. The number you're interested in is the one labeled "lerp." As long as it's orange or white, you're fine. If it's yellow, you're losing packets and your interp is too low. (If it turns only yellow for an instant once every few seconds you're probably okay.) How low you can set your interp before packet loss starts to hurt you will depend on your connection to the server and how good the server is, so unless you want to screw around with it every time you enter a server you should pick something relatively conservative. I think .033 will work for most people and most servers, but you should double-check with the method above just to be sure.

the other four: I don't understand these quite as well and couldn't give a good reason for why those numbers are good choices. But I'm still comfortable recommending them because 1) those recommendations are common. Google "tf2 rates" and you'll come up with results very close to, or identical to, those numbers. And 2) using those settings fixed my TF2. My game used to be jittery as hell and it was getting really annoying. Once I fixed my rates the problem went away completely. Feel free to use the default values instead or to use other values recommended on the internet, but I think these would be fine too and might help a lot. (fps_max seems to be a personal preference kind of thing, so feel free to ignore that one if you want.)

Pluggin' this config yet again. Choose for each individual weapon whether you want auto-reload on, whether you want viewmodels on, and what your crosshair will look like. It also includes a ton of small adjustments which should make TF2 more playable overall, including good adjustments to your interp, good option choices, and smarter weapon switching options. Maybe the best thing about it is that everything is very easy to go in and customize, so if there's anything you don't like you can just disable that feature. I'm using Flame's version from that website because it's more recent, but I'm sure the standard one is fine too as long as you pick the most recent version.

To begin using it, first go into your \Steam\steamapps\(your steam username)\team fortress 2\tf\cfg folder and delete everything except user.scr (you might want to make a backup of that stuff first), then start and stop the game--you don't need to enter a server. After that, extract the config itself to that \cfg folder and allow windows to replace any duplicate files, and you're done. You'll definitely want to go in and customize your crosshairs, though.

One other way to customize this game is to start using a custom HUD or to make one of your own. I've been using m0re's HUD recently, and I think it's an improvement over the standard HUD, though it's not perfect. I've heard of other HUDs but this is the only one I've tried for myself, and it's also the only one I've seen that appears to be so popular. Anyway, it's an option. (Feel free to post one you like if you have a recommendation.)

Oh, I forgot to mention this earlier but it's important. Increase your field of view. Seeing more of what happening around you is a good thing. It's a slider under options--->video--->advanced.

b_560x95.png
b_560x95.png
b_560x95.png

redfenix on

• 3_eyed_weasel3_eyed_weasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    4th weapon slot means a new year of one weapon updates.

3_eyed_weasel on
    samorostsig.jpg
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a feeling demos will win this one, actually

it's a lot easier to stay alive as demo, and that matters for this little competition as much as getting kills does

sticky traps to win the day

redhead on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh dear

This civil war will tear our fortresses apart

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mannn soldiers need to win.

demos are filty spawn campers.

Somestickguy on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    gayest thread title ever

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mannn soldiers need to win.

demos are filty spawn campers.

Strong agree.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    gayest thread title ever

suggestions?

redfenix on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    zot fortress 2

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Toons Fortress 2

actually, that would be the worst thread title ever

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    bemis' penis two

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My demo buddies will blow those boot licking soldiers APART!

INTO PIECES!

Gibs, if you will.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    We are looking to form a fun, casual scrim team. We aren't looking to play any other teams, just ourselves.

We need 12 people for 6v6. Copy/paste or quote this so we can keep it going.

Qorzm
    redhead
    Aneurhythmia
    Mr. Henry Bemis
    Cosmic Sombrero
    Hobnail
    Tommy2Hands
    seta3000

Qorzm on
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Fuckin' Demos...You soldiers better kick some ass. I imagine it will play out with Tyrannus running around with 4 medics.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am so fucking pissed that I can't play right now

TheySlashThem on
  • Mr. Henry BemisMr. Henry Bemis God is love Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    get on that scrim list's dilznick bros

Mr. Henry Bemis on
    Nothing is true; Everything is permitted
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    good thread title

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it racist to hate the demoman?

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I rarely play either class so I am indifferent

but if there's an unlock for a soldier that makes him move just a little bit faster, I'd play the shit out of him

Squall on
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is it racist to hate the demoman?

yes

scrivenerjones on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    thorgot wrote: »
    good thread title

hi5

redfenix on
    edited December 2009
    the title really should have the word war in it

penis war

TheySlashThem on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't understand

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    why am i seriously considering bringing back up the SE++ server

• Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    why am i seriously considering bringing back up the SE++ server

mod me thx

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited December 2009
    zot did anyone ever even use your server last time

TheySlashThem on
    edited December 2009
    it was used when it first went up for a couple days and then kind of died off

• Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Fuckin' Demos...You soldiers better kick some ass. I imagine it will play out with Tyrannus running around with 4 medics.

Tyr doesn't have his PC and doesn't leave the UK until the 20th HAHAHAHA! im at like 170 contribution for tonight before i gave up. MEMODANS!

Ginger Mijango on
  • Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Man, demomen are going to with this so hard. I'd love to get the extra weapon for my soldier, but deep down..

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
    edited December 2009

Tyr doesn't have his PC and doesn't leave the UK until the 20th HAHAHAHA! im at like 170 contribution for tonight before i gave up. MEMODANS!

I am so happy you exist right now

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7935/titlewar.jpg

the new background for the war if anyone wants it.

Ginger Mijango on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ugh demomen are going to win, yuck

L|ama on
    edited December 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »

I am so happy you exist right now

tardpup2.jpg

Ginger Mijango on
    edited December 2009
    wonderful

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited December 2009
    So I haven't played demo in around 200 in game hours but I still rock it and get mvp every round.

Sometimes I wonder if I am too good.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    that's because you are a coward when you play demoman

SithDrummer on
    edited December 2009
    No wayyyyy

I mix it up with anyone and everyone and never back down from a fight you don't even know.

It's just me as pyro but I shoot stuff that explodes!

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The funny thing is

more soldiers want soldier to win

which means there will be a fuckload more soldiers than demomen

so, demomen, outkilling the soldiers, will win the weapon

Zen Vulgarity on
  • QorzmQorzm Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like the theory that the extra item is the swordfish
    I would love to see that

Qorzm on
    edited December 2009
    I hope the losing class gets deleted.

Since demo is going to win.

Soldiers, ugh.

UGH

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    scout is essentially unplayable right now

and the whole war thing is great and all, but playing demo/soldier when there are already 10 demo/soldiers on the other team isn't quite as fun as it would be otherwise. way too spam-centric

luckily, huntsman sniping right now is even easier than usual and spy is pretty fun

and of course there's always uber-chaining in pubs

redhead on
This discussion has been closed.