As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[General MMO] Immersion vs. Function

2»

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hell, for a while I ran a shop that catered to the interior designers, selling items for the sole purpose of decorating. At one point I was Starsiders #1 skull salesperson.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The thing about Galaxies economic system was by the time people got the hang of it enough to make it as large as the devs wanted most of the audience had left.

I think their original idea was to have player-created towns and cities where there would literally be shopping districts and the various vendors would have to compete with one another.

This never happened. But it would have been badass if it had.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The thing about Galaxies economic system was by the time people got the hang of it enough to make it as large as the devs wanted most of the audience had left.

I think their original idea was to have player-created towns and cities where there would literally be shopping districts and the various vendors would have to compete with one another.

I never played SWG and I wish I had in order to give input on this, because the idea of player-made towns and cities sounds SO COOL. It would give each server for a game their own feel and personality.

Henroid on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009

I definitely experienced commerce on that level when playing SWG. The game still has the best market and crafting for me and I really liked the sandbox approach despite the drastic lack of content and game direction.

The market was constantly skewed due to the ease of grinding credits but it worked for the most part.

I really value that level of immersion and am quite bored of click to craft off a recipe sheet and flooded auction houses.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

I never played SWG and I wish I had in order to give input on this, because the idea of player-made towns and cities sounds SO COOL. It would give each server for a game their own feel and personality.

It was cool, but it had its downsides. Towns run by assholes with ultra strict rules that would ban people for no reason, drama occuring when towns fell to a hostile political take over, the sprawling expanse of the Eisley slums that would lag any computer driving out of town. You think RPers can be drama queens normally? Give them politics as well. Then hide.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Okay, first of all giving players the ability to ban people from player-made cities is fucking retarded. You're locking them out of content. That's a bad aspect that, in the future should the idea of player made cities come about again, should never be explored again.

Second, political takeover... could you elaborate more on that? Was it just a matter of who runs the show (related to the above) or was there actual functionality in the game related to it?

And sprawling slums could be solved via some means of optimization, code wise.

Henroid on
    edited December 2009
    Some of the people that really really got in to the economic side in SWG would actually have staff that worked for them running harvesters and what not.

I'm sure if the core game had been up to par and really taken off we would have had player-driven mega corperations.

MagicPrime on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    EVE-Online has about the best crafting/sale system I've ever seen. There is very, very little in the game that isn't built by players. And if you want it, you have to go to the place it's being sold. If it's not being sold in your area, you import it or build it yourself.

The materials for crafting are all provided only by players who mine them. If you want the really good stuff, you gotta find someone with a lot of skill to make it. From your ship to your bullets, it's all made by players. From frigates and shuttles to titans.

For selling it, there's the market where you find out where it is and prices all throughout the region, or theres the contract system for one-off items or expensive items to be auctioned or sold outright.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    ToyD wrote: »
    EVE-Online has about the best crafting/sale system I've ever seen. There is very, very little in the game that isn't built by players. And if you want it, you have to go to the place it's being sold. If it's not being sold in your area, you import it or build it yourself.

The materials for crafting are all provided only by players who mine them. If you want the really good stuff, you gotta find someone with a lot of skill to make it. From your ship to your bullets, it's all made by players. From frigates and shuttles to titans.

For selling it, there's the market where you find out where it is and prices all throughout the region, or theres the contract system for one-off items or expensive items to be auctioned or sold outright.

I was hoping someone would bring EVE up because it is a perfect example of the Player Economy End-game scenario.

It's very hard for new players to wedge themselves in, mixed with the fact that EVE in and of itself is a pretty intimidating game for new players.

MagicPrime on
    edited December 2009

I was hoping someone would bring EVE up because it is a perfect example of the Player Economy End-game scenario.

It's very hard for new players to wedge themselves in, mixed with the fact that EVE in and of itself is a pretty intimidating game for new players.

Everything I hear about EVE sounds good in terms of the player economy. Unfortunately, my only shot of playing it with success would involve knowing someone - in a guild - who has their foot in the door already.

Henroid on
    edited December 2009

Everything I hear about EVE sounds good in terms of the player economy. Unfortunately, my only shot of playing it with success would involve knowing someone - in a guild - who has their foot in the door already.

It's definately an adult's game. I say that not due to content, but due to the requirement for delayed gratification in the game. If you go for the quick buck, path, success, answer, then often you've lost out on something better. You can get started, but be prepared to start small and work for your success.

And Henroid, if you haven't, look into the EVE threads about joining Merch Industrial. Dunno if you've tried, but we're a quite successful PA group.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    I actually did look into it a couple years ago, I was strongly considering getting into EVE. Got linked to some beginner "read me" sites and did some of that... but never followed through.

Henroid on
    edited December 2009
    I actually did look into it a couple years ago, I was strongly considering getting into EVE. Got linked to some beginner "read me" sites and did some of that... but never followed through.

Well, you never specifically say you want to find a game with a good market/crafting system, but if you want to give EVE a shot again to try industry, feel free to hit me up in PMs or some such.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    If I ever try to get in to EVE again I would hit up the Merch crew. What I would need is just a list of "shit to do for your first month" until I got comfortable with the game.

They provide that from what I hear.

Strangely enough however I think EVE is probably very close to what running a starship would actually be like. Setting at a console/cockpit all day logging navigational and moving panels around.

From what I hear now there is an in-game web browser, which solidifies my thought even more.

MagicPrime on
    edited December 2009
    Feel free, to ask questions, but now to underail the thread:

I've played my fair share of MMOs, and usually the crafting system is simply tacked on. One free game was entirely crafting, set in Ancient Egypt, but with nothing else to occupy your time, that got old FAAAAST. Part of the reason I dig EVE is that it seems you really do have to go all the way to the extreme of EVERYTHING is player crafted, or else you have to fight the balance problems that every other game fights in relation to dropped loot versus crafted loot.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Eve's market system was amazing.

However I am a big combat guy and the combat in EVE didn't keep me satisfied. I'm more of an action-y guy. But when I was first taking all the tutorial information in, and then exploring the market system myself I was floored.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius