As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DDO] Dungeons & Dragons Online - Want people to play with? Top of the OP for info

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How good is intimidation at holding / grabbing agro?

Is it like some detaunts where as soon as you hit the target or someone else hits the target the intimidate effect is broken?
    Or is it a debuff that lasts a specific amount of time and for the duration the target is unable to turn away.
    Or does it just add to your threat so you are at the top of the targets hate list with possibly a bit of a buffer?

I was just thinking that a Paladin could theoretically provide a good intimi-tank since they like having lots of Charisma.

It forces them to attack you for 6 seconds. The cooldown is also 6 seconds.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    T4CT wrote: »
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Will keep them on you for at least a couple seconds no matter what if you succeed your Intimidate, Intimidate then whacking them a couple times until Intimidate recharges should be able to keep Aggro on you completely

This is what I do and it's extremely effective. Especially when you're armor class is high for your level range (I think) and it's rare for things to ever actually hit you.

But yeah Intimidate is good, what other really good options are there for holding aggro?

Fighters and Paladins [I think] get some Aggro Bonus Enhancements so that every attack generates more Aggro then normal.

Who-Psyd on
    edited November 2009
    Finally got 25 invasion tokens! Yeah! Awesome healing mace is awesome!

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah, I kinda quit the game for the last week, I should return. My Paladin is progressing well.

What are these invasion tokens?

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
  • ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Reiten on
  • ZalyaZalya Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Hello, this is Zalya (Elf Wizard 11 on Cannith Server). What the hell happened to the Lookouts? I know Lanre/Alastra jumped to Orien, but otherwise I don't know where everyone went (or if they just quit). No offense to the 8 or so people I see on a regular basis, I just mean that the guild used to be more active.

Bransen and Chantra, if you're out there toss me a line. And if anyone knows of a good guild, please let me know. I'll reroll on another server if need be.

Zalya on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been sucked into Dragon Age and Borderlands. That's why I haven't been around lately.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i stopped playing cuz i got too far behind my regular group when i got really sick and couldn't play much. After that i just kind of lost the will to play.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm waiting until I get caught up on all of my school projects and finish exams.

But I also have the new Robert Jordan / Brandon Sanderson book sitting on my shelf unopened waiting for this pesky school semester to be completed.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i stopped playing cuz i got too far behind my regular group when i got really sick and couldn't play much. After that i just kind of lost the will to play.

Yeah same here.. :?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah same here.. :?

I made it to level 5.

The problem is I have so little time to play people moved out of my level range pretty fast and after level 5 you loose the ability to solo the missions.

I also don't like to pug so without anyone to really play with in the guild I just stopped playing.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited November 2009
    That would explain why I am the only one on most of the time...

I am just about to hit 20 Reincarnate and do it all over again.

Who-Psyd on
  • RenegenRenegen Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I always did random parties.. it's really easy to find people.

Renegen on
    ---Yeah
    edited December 2009
    So anyone get anything good from the Jester?

HamHamJ on
    edited December 2009
    I usually wait to turn in coins until I have a giant stash of them. However, they've verified that there are chances at +3 and +4 tomes. That would be like winning the lottery, but in years past, people have gotten them. Unlike raid tomes, these tend to be unbound.

If you're looking to get coins fast, quite a few people farm Irestone since it has a lot of chests and isn't very hard to clear.

Reiten on
    edited December 2009
    so apparently having 2 different reactional procs dont stack with one another.

I had an acid shield and some lightning armor on, if I'm not using the shield then the armor procs, but if i equip the shield then only the shield procs.

Otherwise, I am really liking my fighter. :D

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    so apparently having 2 different reactional procs dont stack with one another.

I had an acid shield and some lightning armor on, if I'm not using the shield then the armor procs, but if i equip the shield then only the shield procs.

Otherwise, I am really liking my fighter. :D
    Different tiers will stack, so Lesser Acid Guard would stack with Acid Guard but not with another Lesser.

Who-Psyd on
    edited December 2009
    oh, does anyone know how warforged armour works? like if it grows a higher ac as you level or anything?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    oh, does anyone know how warforged armour works? like if it grows a higher ac as you level or anything?

From my understanding, you can choose a Mithril (ac 6?)or Admanatine (ac 8?) feat when you create a WF. Then you get get + Docent that can raise it further. So a +4 Docent + Adamantine feat + base 10 = 22AC.

Its been a couple of yrs since I've played a WF, so I'm not sure if they changed it.

Taterskin on
    edited December 2009
    WF have 3 base body types (a racial bonus feat at creation): Mithril (+5 AC, 5 max Dex bonus), Adamantine (+8 AC, 2DR, 1 max Dex bonus) and Composite (light armor). Casters, unless you're building one of the odd melee/caster multiclasses, almost always go composite. I'm not sure what a WF barb would do, since I don't think the Adamantine DR stacks w/ Barb DR. I'm not sure many take Adamantine since the DR doesn't stack, but the build forums might show something different. These do not grow or change as you level (although all WF can add DR using enhancements).

Docents are separate and just like normal armor/robes, but for WF. One nice thing is that you can swap them instantly like robes rather than with the slower change time of armor.

Reiten on
    edited December 2009
    Okay, because I made a WF Fighter, so I took the Adamantine, but noticed my AC was only 18, when a non WF Fighter with +1 plate would have an AC of 21 or so. I havent actually seen any docents with +AC on them, and when I tried equiping a +1 AC bracer it didnt change my AC score.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    Bracers only work with robes--I'm guessing that a WF w/ Adamantine armor counts as non-robes, although I'm not 100% positive. For a high AC, a fighter might have to go with the Mithril body and use Dex. I'm also not sure if it is possible to increase the max dex bonus on the Adamantine body. If not, you'll always lag behind in AC. I haven't seen many (any?) high AC Intimitanks and have never built one, so I'm not sure, however.

Reiten on
    edited December 2009
    Bonuses of the same name do not stack. Bracers of Armor provide an armor bonus, and thus do not stack with armor or the racial armor bonus of a WF.

HamHamJ on
    edited December 2009
    Ahh well, I guess I will have to reroll to a human if I ever want to get a decent end-game intimi-tank.

Of is it impossible to get a combination Intimi / DR / AC tank?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    You can get to decent AC with a WF. It won't be the max possible, but it will still be good. I'm not sure if the Mithril Body or Composite Body would be better--most of the top end intitanks that I run with and see posted on the forums are human. You might try posting in the Fighter forum and asking. I'm sure someone has built one or would have the detailed AC knowledge to help you build one.

If you're intent on the best builds, top AC/top Intim and are willing to grind that out, then human probably is the way to go.

Reiten on
  • JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My fighter on thelanis has around 45 ac, 22 intimidate and 17 blocking dr at level 6. Defender line is great.

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
    edited December 2009
    Is there anything that you can get out of the default lines that you cant get out of the customized builds? I always just go with the customized myself.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    I can't think of a single reason to use the default builds that Turbine offers. Custom, with a little prep and thought, will always be better.

Reiten on
    edited December 2009
    Woohoo! Got my Wizard to level 5 today. I got the Empower Spell meta magic, along with 2 feats for increasing my chance to penetrate resistances by 4.

I'm starting to land my Charm / Hypno / Web much more reliably. I also have Blur, Haste, and Heroism for when I'm not turning NPCs against one another (and Resist Energy & Protection from Energy if I ever bother to memorize them). :D

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Woohoo! Got my Wizard to level 5 today. I got the Empower Spell meta magic, along with 2 feats for increasing my chance to penetrate resistances by 4.

I'm starting to land my Charm / Hypno / Web much more reliably. I also have Blur, Haste, and Heroism for when I'm not turning NPCs against one another (and Resist Energy & Protection from Energy if I ever bother to memorize them). :D

Empower Spell is an awful meta feat. Maximize Spell and Extend Spell are way better, though i cant remember if DDO has those.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited December 2009
    Empower Spell is an awful meta feat. Maximize Spell and Extend Spell are way better, though i cant remember if DDO has those.

As a Wizard, you can take all those feats, so it isn't a big deal. Most casters run with both Empower and Maximize. The meta magic feat to skip in this game is Enlarge.

Reiten on
    edited December 2009
    EDIT: Shit, apparently I got mixed up. I meant I got Heighten Spell, not Empower. Duh.

I also leveled to 6 today and picked up Insightful Reflexes, which tripled my Reflex save to 6 now at level 6. So hopefully traps wont be quite so super deadly.

Thats one thing I sorta miss from before the last patch. Traps on elite were deadly, but they werent 1-shot you deadly, so you could still fubar up once in a while without dying.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    SALE ALERT!!!

ALL SIGILS NOW ONLY 10 POINTS!

That is all.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009

This is not really true. Maximize is better for making a boss really dead right now, while Empower is better for doing more damage over the course of a dungeon. At higher levels you can easily afford to have both on at the same time.

HamHamJ on
  • JaedlynJaedlyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When I said line, I just meant the three defender PrEs!

Jaedlyn on
    Some people are like slinkies, useless, but they always manage to bring a smile to your face when you...push them down a flight of stairs.
    edited December 2009
    Wow, so I'm getting really close to Level 7, and I still havent finished all of my Level 3 quests on elite, and have barely touched any of my level 4 ones.

I havent even run through my Catacombs, STK, or Tangleroot adventure packs.

I'm really enjoying my wizard, and his warforged fighter pet. Though I'm still not 100% on what feats to take for a warforged fighter.

EDIT: Oooh, new sale, 25% bonus points on all Turbine Point purchases.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    20% bonus XP for everyone until Jan 3.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    20% bonus XP for everyone until Jan 3.

And it stacks w/ XP pots and items (Voice of the Master, etc.).

Reiten on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have to say, I've enjoyed this MUCH more that I thought I would. At first, I just started playing it so, I could play some online games with some of my RL friends, and I needed something with a low price point in order to even have them consider playing a new game with me. Within one week, my friends were all about this game. It's been 3 months later, and we're still having fun.

Even though I got them into the game, I've still spent FAR less on the game than they have (they've bought 32 builds and all sorts of times) and we're still having a blast. We currently have a whole bunch of characters between 8 and 12.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I feel pretty bad that I got this and within a few days had spent like $25 to get the 32-point characters and Monks.

On the other hand, I find it hilarious that I'm running around with 29 AC at level 3 (2Mnk/1Sorc). Good times.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow