As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tesselations from a non-Artist

IrishRodentIrishRodent Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
Greetings, AC, I come in peace. Moderately-durationed lurker, first time poster.

First, a little background: years ago, in one of my math courses, we were assigned a project to create an artistically pleasing tessellation. This sparked my love of M. C. Escher's artwork. As I do not by any means possess the artistic ability to mimic his other works, a few years ago I thought I'd try my hand at creating some interesting tessellated shapes. At this point, I have collected quite a number of them, and finally decided it was time to share them with an audience, instead of keeping them locked away in a folder on my hard drive.

Many of these have been updated to a dimension / resolution fitting of using as a desktop wallpaper. Here are a few of my favorites:
Escheresque%2005%20-%20Amidst%20The%20Din.jpg
Escheresque%2006%20-%20Trellis%20Twist.jpg
Escheresque%2011%20-%20Dragon%20Dance.jpg

I apologize for the grainy *.jpg conversions (I have the originals saved as *.bmp files). In addition, since creating these is no more than a hobby, the software I have used to create them is MSPaint (groans accepted), though a handful of them were created in Gimp.

I guess what I'm looking for is some friendly critique. This is in no way related to any career path I seek for myself, and I have no intention to make any money off it either. Please let me know what you think, how you think something in this style could be improved, or any other comments you may have. If you're interested, feel free to click on my sig and see the full collection. Also, any insights into a medium through which to share desktop wallpapers (once I've cleaned these up somehow) would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

IrishRodent on

• Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    kudos on the patience to do these in mspaint
    i would really like to see some less dissonant color combos

that's what i think really makes a Tessellation pop to me
    so for example, the middle one is very hard to look at, it sort of burns the eyes because of the color combos you've used
    (how on earth did you stare at that for so long?)

if you don't know much about color theory and aren't that interested in getting into the nitty gritty of color (though it's actually really interesting i think... and worth the read for anyone who wants to do anything visual)
    you should check out kuler.adobe.com
    it's a website that you can use to generate color schemes, and has some user rated schemes that you can download and use

cause your patterns are very nice, it's the colors that are killing my brain haha

beavotron on
  • Options
    IrishRodentIrishRodent Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for the advice! I have actually been a bit more focused on color since I started using a few of the images as wallpapers and admittedly found many of them to be rather blinding. For the earlier ones, I largely just stuck with the default palate MSPaint provided, because I was focusing more on the shapes and the way they fit together than the actual coloring (which is usually my last step). For the later ones (they are listed chronologically in the album), I actually started editing the colors a bit when I was looking for a different effect, but even most of that is largely arbitrary.

I will take a look at that site and see if I can't use the info to improve some of the previous ones and make them a bit less painful. I am a huge fan of blues and greens, but I try not to use them together too much for fear of the crisp shape definition becoming vague. Sometimes, contrast is good, but ultimately, I need to figure out how to showcase contrast well instead of creating an "oh god, my eyes" effect. ;)

IrishRodent on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    yeah you've got it :)
    color is a very amazing thing
    it can do crazy things to your brain. if you ever feel so inclined, look up color illusions
    they'll mess with you

beavotron on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh, wow. Your sig makes it look like my monitor is warped. It's a pretty convincing optical illusion.

Delzhand on