As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    kaorti wrote: »
    i got the final file this morning, so i'm updating now

I haven't received the file yet. Did it get sent to me?

i haven't sent it yet, influx of things to do

it'll be out within the next hour

sorry for the delay guys

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    i got the final file this morning, so i'm updating now

I haven't received the file yet. Did it get sent to me?

i haven't sent it yet, influx of things to do

it'll be out within the next hour

sorry for the delay guys

No worries. Things happen and real life is kinda hard to dodge. I hope I'm not being too pushy.

e: Got one person for my play by email game, I need at least two more to start.
    e2: two people now, just waiting on one more person. If we can't find that one more person by this time tomorrow, I'll start the game anyway.

kaorti on
  • Options
    DragoranDragoran Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, I just bought this last night, and if anyone's still looking for another player for PBEM, I'm down. The one caveat is that I spend Monday and Thursday driving fairly long distances, so I may not be able to do much on those days.

Dragoran on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If you want I can resend the invitation to my game, we haven't taken the first turn yet, and I think that 4 people is a better number than 3.

Just PM me your email.

kaorti on
  • Options
    TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I can't stop playing the demo, so my girlfriend is awesome enough to buy me this for christmas. I hope you guys still play PBEM-games in a few weeks.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Stuck at work without the ability to take a turn *sigh* Tried a new build also for the PBEM game, so i'm probably going to suck nuzzums.

Roxtar on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like a lot about this game, but really, some unpredictable events or place positions in the early game can make or break all of it. Right now i'm finishing up a game where I had a +1 Order right next to my starting spot. It just isn't fair on the other saps.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I like a lot about this game, but really, some unpredictable events or place positions in the early game can make or break all of it. Right now i'm finishing up a game where I had a +1 Order right next to my starting spot. It just isn't fair on the other saps.

Sure it is. The other saps are aware of your advantage and thus can join together to unmake you.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok, the first turn is out. Sorry It took so long, I didn't realize that everyone had their avatars turned in. Shan't happen again.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No worries; it gave me time to experiment a bit more against the AI. My turn's in, anyway, though I might not get another in this evening, as work tomorrow demands I get to bed soon.

Dragoran on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    For anyone on the fence about this, it's basically "A Song of Ice and Fire."

In Hell.

Yeah.

Edit: Hell yeah.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    By far the best thing about this is the limited orders. Even at the height of your empire, you can never have more then 6 orders (actions) per turn, and that's everything from collecting income to moving troops to buying stuff. This means that the game avoids a lot of the usual 4x midgame 1 hour turn syndrome.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is a build with less than 2 Charisma even viable? Seriously, if you take only 0 or 1 points you'll end up with almost no tribute in no time. Plus more tribute equals more statpoints you can buy.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Charisma certainly seems very powerful.

A word of warning: It seems it is possible to run out of praetors. In my epic game, none are available. A lot have died because I farmed Telemachus for prestige, but then he died by a random act of hell.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/23753452/Solium-Infernum-Tutorial-1

Here's a tutorial for all the newcomers and/or people that can't get into the game.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Waiting on Dragoran's turn. Everyone else is in.

e: There's been a real run on praetors in Evil's game. I wonder what these people know that I don't.

kaorti on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tried to run the demo, but I have a script error every three games or so and have to ctrl alt del close the game, then start it back up. Any suggestions?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Waiting on Dragoran's turn. Everyone else is in.

e: There's been a real run on praetors in Evil's game. I wonder what these people know that I don't.

praetors are just a great way to power up your legions.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sorry about that Kaorti; my turn's in now. Uneven time zones or something?

Dragoran on
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Got a chance to try out this demo today, after being immensely entertained by the tutorial Tycho linked to on the front page. My first game consisted substantially of me suiciding my loyal legions into Places of Power in an attempt to understand how combat works (mission accomplished! what are minions for, after all?).

The game feels fiendishly complex in a good, well-thought-out kind of way. A good UI designer getting a crack at polishing it up would be a good thing, but most of the basics are not so hard to figure out as some posts in this thread led me to think they would be.

That said, here are some things I wanted to know but could not figure out in the first game:

1. What do each of your avatar's attributes do?
    2. How do you gain a) more resources per tribute demand, and b) more order slots per turn?

edit:

I guess the main answer to my question 2a is "more Charisma". And the answer to 2b, or one answer to it anyway, just showed up at the beginning of my second game in the form of a Place of Power that gives me +1 orders.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    In answer to 1), mostly just click on the 'powers' tab in your avatar section.

As you increase the attributes, you access new powers. Most of them are self-explanatory. Increased attributes also give you bonus modifiers to using those powers, so they're more likely to succeed.

For 2), a) increase your Charisma, and also be aware that constantly demanding tribute slightly lessens how much you get, and b) every time you increase an attribute to rank... six, I think? you get a new order slot. It tells you all that on the powers screen, anyway.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I figured you guys were in the mood for Hell, and there's a guy by the name of Wayne Barlow who has done some brilliant artwork based on his vision of Hell (which lines up pretty well with SI). Here's a taste:
    barlowe_watchtowers.jpg

page3-1003-full.jpg

page3-1007-full.jpg
    Thought you might enjoy it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Awesome.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I figured you guys were in the mood for Hell, and there's a guy by the name of Wayne Barlow who has done some brilliant artwork based on his vision of Hell (which lines up pretty well with SI). Here's a taste:
    barlowe_watchtowers.jpg

page3-1003-full.jpg

page3-1007-full.jpg
    Thought you might enjoy it.

why have I not heard of this before?

Dragoran wrote: »
    Sorry about that Kaorti; my turn's in now. Uneven time zones or something?

No problem, We're doing about a turn a day anyway, and you were the first in for the next turn. It evens out.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    After playing a game to the demo's 25-turn limit, with a Wrath-focused avatar, I'm kind of surprised how hard it was to start a fight. After outfitting a couple of legions, I pretty much played the last 10-15 turns slinging demands and insults around as recklessly as I could, but nobody ever manned up.

badger2d on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    badger2d wrote: »
    After playing a game to the demo's 25-turn limit, with a Wrath-focused avatar, I'm kind of surprised how hard it was to start a fight. After outfitting a couple of legions, I pretty much played the last 10-15 turns slinging demands and insults around as recklessly as I could, but nobody ever manned up.

Yeah, the AIs in the demo are total wusses. The last couple of patches have made them a lot more aggressive and entertaining to play against, though - so if that's your main complaint, I would be fairly confident in stating that the full version has it fixed.

As an example: yesterday, I finished playing a small map, 4 player (myself+3 AIs) as a charisma/cunning avatar. Around turn 20 (strongly in the lead), I manipulated Mammon into vendetta, only to have the other two AIs both demand outrageous amounts of tribute (4 or 5 cards each, I think). I refused, being a poor mutha because of my vendettal preparations. So I ended up in three vendettas at the same time.

Then a host of angels showed up and killed my best legion.

Yeah, that game didn't end well. :P

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Still waiting on a couple people for our game - kaorti and TeeSam have sent in their orders, so TheOtherHorseman and Zsetrek are the orders I need to get to the next turn!

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm still hoping I can kill that angel bitch. Fought her to a standstill once, but she ran like the angel wuss she is.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    vader111 wrote: »
    badger2d wrote: »

Yeah, the AIs in the demo are total wusses. The last couple of patches have made them a lot more aggressive and entertaining to play against, though - so if that's your main complaint, I would be fairly confident in stating that the full version has it fixed.

As an example: yesterday, I finished playing a small map, 4 player (myself+3 AIs) as a charisma/cunning avatar. Around turn 20 (strongly in the lead), I manipulated Mammon into vendetta, only to have the other two AIs both demand outrageous amounts of tribute (4 or 5 cards each, I think). I refused, being a poor mutha because of my vendettal preparations. So I ended up in three vendettas at the same time.

Then a host of angels showed up and killed my best legion.

Yeah, that game didn't end well. :P

That's good. Sounds like a lot more fun.

In my game I had the Illuminatus legion tricked out with the Vats of Ichor and a combat card to reduce enemy melee by 8, and I think I could've run the table with that guy against all my enemies' legions combined. But I could never use him! I could certainly see how it wasn't in anybody's interest to actually fight me, but the payoff I was getting from my insults wasn't sufficient compensation. It's kind of frustrating how low the prestige cap is on insults. Moloch ran away with the win because I could only insult him for 4 prestige once every 6 turns, and he was gaining 3/turn from the locations he controlled. It didn't seem there was anything else I could've done against him.

badger2d on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Tried to run the demo, but I have a script error every three games or so and have to ctrl alt del close the game, then start it back up. Any suggestions?

Sorry for quoting myself, but reading everything everyone says has me really wanting to try it. I certainly can't buy it until I can figure out if it'll work on my system, and I'm sure something is just configured wrong.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Sorry for quoting myself, but reading everything everyone says has me really wanting to try it. I certainly can't buy it until I can figure out if it'll work on my system, and I'm sure something is just configured wrong.

are you doing anything else while you play? i only get script errors if i spend some time in another window and don't touch the game for a few minutes.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

are you doing anything else while you play? i only get script errors if i spend some time in another window and don't touch the game for a few minutes.

Er... I don't think I am always doing that. I was alt-tabbing to the tutorial the first 3 or 4 times it happened, but the last couple times I wasn't.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Is it only after every three games? So you get to play 3 full games and then you get the script error? If that's the case, then that sucks, but it doesn't make the game unplayable, does it?

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No. It always happens within the first 4 turns of a game. The first three times I tried, I didn't realize it was auto-saving my game, so I was restarting every time. I've never gotten more than 7 turns in, because I finally gave up. (It was script erroring every turn or so during the final try.)

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    No. It always happens within the first 4 turns of a game. The first three times I tried, I didn't realize it was auto-saving my game, so I was restarting every time. I've never gotten more than 7 turns in, because I finally gave up. (It was script erroring every turn or so during the final try.)

check the official forums on cryptic comet's site, i think it's a fairly common issue

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

check the official forums on cryptic comet's site, i think it's a fairly common issue

You may want to throw this up in the OP.
    If you are getting seemingly random "script errors" then try playing the game in compatibility mode. Right click on the game's short cut, select properties, then the compatibility tab, then experiment with different modes to find what works best. For example if you are running Vista then try a XP or 2000. If XP then try 2000.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do that, as it sounds completely ridiculous.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

You may want to throw this up in the OP.
    If you are getting seemingly random "script errors" then try playing the game in compatibility mode. Right click on the game's short cut, select properties, then the compatibility tab, then experiment with different modes to find what works best. For example if you are running Vista then try a XP or 2000. If XP then try 2000.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to do that, as it sounds completely ridiculous.

But why? If it helps, who cares if it's completely ridiculous. This game is awesome and you should definately play it.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i'd throw it in the OP but it's not my OP, so I cannot!

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hey Evil, put the tutorial in the OP, I've postet it a few pages ago. One to be exact.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I won't go any further than this, because this thread is nothing but love so far and I don't want to ruin that. In my opinion, though $30 is too much for something that's getting script errors if I don't run it in compatibility mode for the last OS generation. I can't kick the feeling from what I've seen so far that I could find a game just as in-depth and fun that's basically freeware at this point, anyway.

Darkewolfe on