As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solium Infernum

1235»

• Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Tried to run the demo, but I have a script error every three games or so and have to ctrl alt del close the game, then start it back up. Any suggestions?

Sorry for quoting myself, but reading everything everyone says has me really wanting to try it. I certainly can't buy it until I can figure out if it'll work on my system, and I'm sure something is just configured wrong.

are you doing anything else while you play? i only get script errors if i spend some time in another window and don't touch the game for a few minutes.

I have the same problem, which actually has happened every single game for me (3 of 3). The game autosaving keeps it minimally playable, but as fun as this is, that's a serious bug.

The other significant problems I see in the demo are deadbeat AIs (in every game there's been at least one AI that appeared to stop doing anything at all after a few turns), and the poor interface that requires an average of 4 clicks to perform a single action.

Despite all that the game's got both style and substance, and it really is fun. I am tempted to buy it, but reluctant for the moment when it feels like an incomplete work. I can ignore the above-mentioned issues briefly to sample the novelty of the game, but if I get tried to get deeper into it they would rankle me and I'd stop playing. But if I hear that they are addressed, I'll step right up and grab it.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I won't go any further than this, because this thread is nothing but love so far and I don't want to ruin that. In my opinion, though $30 is too much for something that's getting script errors if I don't run it in compatibility mode for the last OS generation. I can't kick the feeling from what I've seen so far that I could find a game just as in-depth and fun that's basically freeware at this point, anyway.

I hate to say I agree with you. The game is fun, intelligently made, and looks like fun to play with other people but... that 30 dollar price tag is a tad much.

I feel that I would buy it, burn out in a week, and then never touch it again.

MoosehatIV on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Hey Evil, put the tutorial in the OP, I've postet it a few pages ago. One to be exact.
    i'd throw it in the OP but it's not my OP, so I cannot!

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Todesbart wrote: »
    Hey Evil, put the tutorial in the OP, I've postet it a few pages ago. One to be exact.
    i'd throw it in the OP but it's not my OP, so I cannot!

Then usurp the fiendish hellspawn that begat this thread from his oily orifices.

Also, this game gets frightening when the underdog with ten prestige starts buying all the good legions from the bazaar.

And then uses three events in as many turns to cripple all your legions. Vicious.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey Evil, who are we still waiting on? Both TOH and Zsetrek border me, and I'll eventually need to decide who I like less.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    kaorti wrote: »
    Hey Evil, who are we still waiting on? Both TOH and Zsetrek border me, and I'll eventually need to decide who I like less.

waiting on both TOH and Zsetrek, still.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    mwoodymwoody Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    badger2d wrote: »
    In my game I had the Illuminatus legion tricked out with the Vats of Ichor and a combat card to reduce enemy melee by 8, and I think I could've run the table with that guy against all my enemies' legions combined. But I could never use him! I could certainly see how it wasn't in anybody's interest to actually fight me, but the payoff I was getting from my insults wasn't sufficient compensation. It's kind of frustrating how low the prestige cap is on insults. Moloch ran away with the win because I could only insult him for 4 prestige once every 6 turns, and he was gaining 3/turn from the locations he controlled. It didn't seem there was anything else I could've done against him.

Were you a lesser leader of hell? A prince is above the pathetic insults of a lowly lord, and can ignore them with impunity... Though I should note that my experience is usually with demands, not insults.

The more I play this game, the more I see how terribly, terribly powerful is the "rank" character attribute. It's pretty much this games' difficulty setting.

mwoody on
    Steam: mwoody450
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I won't go any further than this, because this thread is nothing but love so far and I don't want to ruin that. In my opinion, though $30 is too much for something that's getting script errors if I don't run it in compatibility mode for the last OS generation. I can't kick the feeling from what I've seen so far that I could find a game just as in-depth and fun that's basically freeware at this point, anyway.

I'm hard-pressed to think of another freeware game anything at all like SI in tone, genre, or execution, but I will agree that Adobe Director is shit. And $30 seems oddly high - I think at $15-$20, he'd sell enough to offset the drop several times over. In that range, "you play as a prince of hell" would sell it even to people who aren't diehard hex-strategy fans. I mean, I guess having bought it myself I'm an opposing plotpoint to my own theory, but I can also note that all my attempts to get other people interested in the game have seen their eyes glaze over at "$30."

Oh, and hey, if anyone can recommend similar games with a meaner AI and sturdier coding, I'm all ears.

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    mwoody wrote: »
    In my game I had the Illuminatus legion tricked out with the Vats of Ichor and a combat card to reduce enemy melee by 8, and I think I could've run the table with that guy against all my enemies' legions combined. But I could never use him! I could certainly see how it wasn't in anybody's interest to actually fight me, but the payoff I was getting from my insults wasn't sufficient compensation. It's kind of frustrating how low the prestige cap is on insults. Moloch ran away with the win because I could only insult him for 4 prestige once every 6 turns, and he was gaining 3/turn from the locations he controlled. It didn't seem there was anything else I could've done against him.

Were you a lesser leader of hell? A prince is above the pathetic insults of a lowly lord, and can ignore them with impunity... Though I should note that my experience is usually with demands, not insults.

The more I play this game, the more I see how terribly, terribly powerful is the "rank" character attribute. It's pretty much this games' difficulty setting.

Yeah, I didn't raise rank when I made my archfiend because I didn't have any idea what it would do. If it mitigates the effect of insults against you, that makes Wrath pretty ineffective. Being good at war doesn't accomplish anything if you have no way to force a fight.

That seems to make the beginning of the game really make or break, even. If someone manages to capture a +2 or +3 prestige location early on, they can just ignore you the rest of the game and never have to actually fight? What are you supposed to do?

badger2d on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I didn't raise rank when I made my archfiend because I didn't have any idea what it would do. If it mitigates the effect of insults against you, that makes Wrath pretty ineffective. Being good at war doesn't accomplish anything if you have no way to force a fight.

That seems to make the beginning of the game really make or break, even. If someone manages to capture a +2 or +3 prestige location early on, they can just ignore you the rest of the game and never have to actually fight? What are you supposed to do?

First off, insults never really struck me as the best way to... Well, really, I never understood their point at all, so maybe someone could enlighten me. If they fail, you end up with an enemy being able to declare vendetta on their terms, something that strikes me as a Bad Idea. I much prefer demands - if they say yes, I get stuff. If they say no, I get to custom-pick terms of vengeance designed to maximize my advantage.

Also, keep in mind that the effectiveness of your demands on other players are determined by the difference between your rank and theirs. So if you're finding it particularly difficult to make any credible threat or insult, it's likely you're not only low-rank (i.e. playing on hard mode), but your target is high rank. There's at least, by the way, one way I've encountered (a ritual, I think) to increase your relative rank, adding +2 to your effective level when making demands. Using it when playing as a prince versus a lord is very, very mean and very, very funny.

"I'm six levels higher than you, bitch. Give me stuff."
    "There are only five levels, m'lord!"
    "I get +2 for awesome. Six tribute cards or I unleash They Hunger."

Note that this isn't the only thing rank is good for, either. It also increases your fortress stats, improves your starting legion (which can't be stolen from you - great vs. a deceit-happy enemy), determines who wins if you tie for a bid or both move try to move into the same square, determines how much tribute you start the game with, and probably other things I'm forgetting.

But the real saving grace of the low-ranked player is the escalation of demands. While yeah, you might be able to only demand a laughable single tribute card versus a prince, that's just your first request. The next time out, you might be able to take a border hex. And then, an artifact. Each time they consecutively agree, they open themselves up to a larger demand. So it's not so much that it's impossible to declare vendetta as you're going to have to spend many turns doing it, and when you get the go ahead to invade, you need to be ready to KICK SOME ASS.

mwoody on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't know how vendettas work, because nobody ever gave me a chance at one in any direction! I had just assumed it was a stylish way to say "war".

Insults have seemed generally preferable to me because when I've made demands, I've had to wager usually ~10 prestige for a return of just 1 or 2 resources, which just sucks. I guess if in the full version you can escalate demands over time that gets stronger, but that aspect of the game just doesn't show in the demo.

Whereas an accepted insult gives a good general prestige gain and a large one relative to your target. But in the case of that one game, the winner was running away with prestige much faster than I was allowed to insult him down and there was nothing I could do about it.

badger2d on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    How do you guys feel about trying to set something up with google wave. It seems like it would make turn sharing much easier.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't know how vendettas work, because nobody ever gave me a chance at one in any direction! I had just assumed it was a stylish way to say "war".

Insults have seemed generally preferable to me because when I've made demands, I've had to wager usually ~10 prestige for a return of just 1 or 2 resources, which just sucks. I guess if in the full version you can escalate demands over time that gets stronger, but that aspect of the game just doesn't show in the demo.

Whereas an accepted insult gives a good general prestige gain and a large one relative to your target. But in the case of that one game, the winner was running away with prestige much faster than I was allowed to insult him down and there was nothing I could do about it.

in multiplayer, you set it up so that you agree to have everyone insult the leader, at the same time. there's no way he can defend himself from multiple vendettas, and multiple insults are very costly.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How do you guys feel about trying to set something up with google wave. It seems like it would make turn sharing much easier.

I would have thought so too. I have many invites to give away, so PM me if I can help set anyone up. It's literally drag and drop for attachments.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok, I've got a basic wave up now for the PennyArcade game, and my most recent turn file is there. Lets try this out.

edit: if anyone wants invites, I've got a bunch too.

vvv: I think it would be best if the host had the first post, and kept the main files there. Then each other player could maintain a reply with their most recent turn.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ok, I've got a basic wave up now for the PennyArcade game, and my most recent turn file is there. Lets try this out.

if we just post turn files for each turn, and the game files for each turn, we could even archive the game

i'm still waiting on Zsetrek's turn file though.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If anyone needs them, I've got invites too. I've also got the game yesterday, so if anyone wants to play, I'm down.

Todesbart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Awsome... If I knew wtf google wave was :p

Roxtar on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can send me an invite to google wave (you have my gmail if i'm correct)

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Roxtar wrote: »

Awsome... If I knew wtf google wave was :p

Its sort of an email client crossed with a message board crossed with a chat program. The upshot is its we could start a "wave" for any particular game, and just keep posting our turn files there, rather than cluttering our email in-boxes.

It would also let us see who was holding up the turn :twisted:
    SanderJK wrote: »
    You can send me an invite to google wave (you have my gmail if i'm correct)

I've already put you in for an invite, you should get it whenever they send the next set out.

kaorti on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    stilllll waiting on Zsetrek :(:(

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This looks like a lot of fun, I'd like to get in on something.

Rend on
  • Options
    DragoranDragoran Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You setting up a wave for the other game, Kaorti? I already have an account, so I'd be up for it.

Dragoran on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dragoran wrote: »
    You setting up a wave for the other game, Kaorti? I already have an account, so I'd be up for it.

trying to do that now, But I'm having trouble figruing out which wave account corresponds to which PA account. Could you stick your forum name in your wave profile or something?

kaorti on
  • Options
    DragoranDragoran Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Done; let me know if you still have trouble finding mine or anything.

Dragoran on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dragoran wrote: »
    Done; let me know if you still have trouble finding mine or anything.

Added you, Still don't have everyone there, but I'll keep it updated.

Also, patch 1.04a is out. I think its mostly bugfixes, but we should probably update. It looks like it also makes the AI stronger.

kaorti on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    Anybody still playing this? Anybody want to?

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd readily join a game, but I don't particularly want to host one.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I'd readily join a game, but I don't particularly want to host one.

Second.

My schedule makes it hard to host reliably, but I could find time to play.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited January 2011
    What's involved in hosting? I've never played the game. I was very interested when it came out because it's my kind of game, but I was too busy at the time and it fell off my radar.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    What's involved in hosting? I've never played the game. I was very interested when it came out because it's my kind of game, but I was too busy at the time and it fell off my radar.

I believe the following: receive turn files, put them in a folder, process the turn files, send files back to players.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    There's also another Solium Infernum thread if I remember quickly. That may prove to be a wellspring of would be demon-spawn.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ah. Forum search isn't working for me, so I used google to find this. I'll look a little deeper.

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Found it.

I tried as well to scrounge up a game, but perhaps you will have better results.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    How many do we need for a good game?

Tiger Burning on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Usually 4 to 6 has been my experience.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hey everyone:

come conquer hell with us

or rather, be the hell that is conquered by me

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    soul42soul42 Registered User new member
    Do peoples still play this game? i recently picked it up, and wonder if there are still players for it.