As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playstation 3 troubleshooting (Does not turn on)

vsovevsove ....also yes.Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I think something has gone horribly awry with my PS3. Today I booted it up to watch a DVD.. and it didn't really do much of anything. Let me rephrase - the blue and green lights came on, but it didn't sound as though the hard drive was being accessed, and I didn't get a picture or sound from my television.

I've spent about an hour on google, and for once, it doesn't seem to have the answer. I've tried 'resetting' the video settings by holding down the power button, but I can never get the two beeps - just on and then off after about ten seconds. My PS3's a 60 gig, and I'd be rather saddened if I had to replace it with one that doesn't have PS2 backwards compatability, so I turn to you, the helpful people of H&A, to advise me on what is wrong with my PS3/how to fix it.

To recap:

1) I don't get the yellow light when I turn it on. Just the regular green and blue.

2) I get no picture and no sound.

3) It doesn't sound as though it's accessing the hard drive at all - the fan turns on and the drive spins up, but then the fan shuts off and the drive spins down almost immediately afterwards.

4) I can't get it to do the 'hard reset' by holding down the power button. It just turns off.

I'm hoping to catch a PS3 guru on this site so I don't have to replace my lovely HW backwards compatible PS3. Any help would be appreciated!

WATCH THIS SPACE.
vsove on

• Options
    DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    check the video connetions carefully, and try using the standard cables rather than the HDMI?

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Draysoth wrote: »
    check the video connetions carefully, and try using the standard cables rather than the HDMI?

This.

I thought my PS3 was broken until I realized it was just a broken HDMI cable. When things are complicated, go simple.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00