As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No-Pierce Jewelry (aka help me decide to pierce my nose)

DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been thinking for a while about getting a nostril piercing. I've never had any piercings done, though, and frankly I'm a wimp when it comes to pain - I don't want to go and poke a hole in my nose and wait months for it to heal only to decide I don't like it.

I've found web sites selling fake clip-on or magnetic nose rings and studs. This strikes me as a great idea to use as a "test run" to see if I want to go and get a real piercing. Most of the sites I've found seem very unprofessional, though, with very little information about the product themselves.

Is there something in particular I should be looking for? Is there anything about cheap metal that my (generally very sensitive) skin might react to in some way? Is there a reason to go for magnetic/clip-on/adhesive over the others? (adhesive obviously sounds like the least cost-effective). This is a weird enough subject that I won't be surprised if nobody knows anything, but I figured it was worth a shot to call out to H/A.

Signature not found.
DeathPrawn on

• RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hmm...

I'd actually go and ask a professional piercer. They know alot about the metals to use (or stay away from).

My advice is to take the plunge. As far as pain goes, it ain't nothin', and if you don't like it, you can always take it out. Just remember to go to a professional

Ryna on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Professional

No matter how much your friend may insist that he/she use stuff that is super sterile and like nothing can go wrong

Go to a professional

The Black Hunter on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Magnetic jewelery can hurt because it is constantly squeezing your skin. Nostril piercings are ridiculously thin, I wouldn't even consider pain being an issue here.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yes. alloys can result in a skin reaction. There should be magnetic options for you, and very likely having this magnetic jewelry up against your skin for a few days should elicit a similar response. Gold should not cause a skin reaction, get 18 karat or above if your skin responds to the baser metals.

If what you want is the decoration, don't worry about the pain. It's over fast. You can try a magnetic piece, but it's not the same thing as getting pierced. If you regret it, it heals pretty quick.

If you're concerned about professionalism, go to a decent tattoo parlor.

Djeet on
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Before I got my nose pierced, I had to get my parents used to the idea (being a whopping 15 at the time). I found some little stick on jewels that looked like those small nose studs with a white gem in them and wore one of those every day for months. When I did get it pierced finally, the piercer used a ring because that helps it heal best but I was fully healed in under 2 months and switched it to a nose screw instead (like a nose stud but has some bends or curves that keep it from a) stabbing the inside of your nose and b) from falling out too easily).

I got those nose jewels from cheapie teenybopper jewelry stores like Ardenes or Claires... kind of like this

ihmmy on