As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes/Villains or Champions Online?

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
I played City of Heroes a few years back, and it was really the only MMO I have every played. The last time I played I joined the Villain side and created a Mastermind named Doctor Deathrattle.

I've been thinking of playing again, but since Champions Online came out recently I've been thinking that maybe I should try that game out.

So, here's a few questions I have:

1) What new features have been added to City of Heroes/Villains in the past couple of years or so?

2) Is the Champions Online experience significantly different?

3) I know that City of Heroes/Villains is class-based and that Champions Online is point-buy based. Can I make characters in Champions Online that feel as varied as the various classes in City of Heroes/Villains?

Hexmage-PA on

• Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Champions Online lets you build characters with much more variety than CoX. Want a "tank" that uses ranged attacks, too easy. Want to have a mix of elemental attacks, easy to do. CO is a more complicated game when it comes to building your character, but that said it's hard to make a character that is truly unplayable so long as you have a basic understanding of how things work. The game will make sure you have the absolute basics to play, you will have to pick a energy builder and a travel power for instance.

Now for PvP, it's certainly easy to wind up with builds that flat out won't work, or work so well they wind up being nerfed into uselessness (though at least if that happens you will get a respec).

I'd say the only thing I am weary of is the constantly swinging balance pendulum. And what really, really irks me about it is the balance changes are largely driven by the PvP side which is a very minor aspect of the game. CO would be a better game without PvP.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Champion's Online gives a fuller gameplay experience, but CoX has alot of quest-based content to it.

Personally, i'd try both, and see which one you like more.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Champion's Online gives a fuller gameplay experience...

What exactly do you mean by this?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ChO's in trouble because they learned nothing from CoH (not too surprising, as only like 2 people still there worked on it). It's giving all the appearances of spending the first two years making wild and poorly thought out balance changes, like CoH did. Additionally, ChO has a severe lack of content, you can make a hundred kinds of characters but you'll play the same game a hundred times.

CoH's in trouble because the last 2-3 issues have had lots of system updates but almost no new content. System updates are fine for new players but old players have already gone through the system and now just need things to do. So activity's really low right now, and probably will be until the Going Rogue expansion comes out. To answer your question, the biggest change in CoH lately is the Mission Architect, where you can make your own story arcs.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I think it may be relevant to mention that the highest level I ever got on CoH/V was about level 22.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »
    Champion's Online gives a fuller gameplay experience...

What exactly do you mean by this?

CHO's gameplay has many more unique features to it, and is much better balanced, overall, compared to CoX.

Take PVP for example. I managed to get an account for CoX awhile back since I was tired of waiting for CHO, and in CoX, people just roll stalkers so they can literally faceroll their way to victory, and winning a fight is more dependent on having the right power-set that makes you immune to damage, or makes you two-shot an enemy, then it is actual skill.

PVP in CO, by contrast is alot more balanced. There are some builds that make you go "what the fuck just happened", after you're suddenly splattered across the landscape, but they actively get patched out.

Plus, if you have an Xbox controller, CHO plays more like a brawler then an MMO with a melee character.

CO's big weakness is that it has to compete with CoX in terms of content. CoX has had years to put out content, and CHO is just getting started, with a visible content gap in leveling toward's the end-game.

Archonex on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, if you are into that sort of thing, Champions supports using a 360 controller and it is a fantastic way to play the game.

While CoH tends to play like a more traditional MMORPG (read: it's based on EverQuest), Champions (if you are using a gamepad and a slightly altered targeting system) plays more like Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Champions, in general, is more "actiony", while CoH emphasizes more careful tactical choices and group strategy.

Champions barely requires teaming and much of the game can be played solo, whereas a large portion of the more interesting content in CoH requires teaming and the game is all around more fun in a team.

A huge difference between the two games that contributes to this is the fact that CoH has classes and Champions does not

Whether that is a plus or minus in favor of either game is your own personal preference, but CoH is a class-based game and as a result grouping is key. The reality is many of the CoH classes, especially at low levels, have a very hard time soloing and require teaming to play and level effectively (Blaster, I'm looking at you).

Champions, on the other hand, has teaming as something of an afterthought in most cases and because of it's lack of a class-based structure, you can make a "jack of all trades" type character who is more than capable of just going on his own and doing what he wants.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, villainy:

CoH/V has playable villains.

Champions does not. Both games have (laughably broken) PVP but only CoH/V allows you to play super-villains.

I'd like to point that what CoV considers "Villainy" is sorta laughable. For the most part, City of Villains is more accurately described as "City of Amoral Mercenaries".

99% of your missions in CoV involve you beating up other villains and foiling their plans and breaking/stealing their stuff. Very, very rarely do you actually commit crimes against good people or actually fight heroes. The closest you get on a consistent basis is fighting the organization Longbow, which is sorta sketchy and of dubious "goodness" if you delve further into the game's lore.

Of course, you could always use Mission Architect to create your own story arcs where you are far more sinister and villainous, and I'm sure the MA already has a huge amount of such arcs already on it.

So, there is that.

Champions does not have playable villains, and the devs have pretty much said it's not in the cards for the foreseeable future and it's not something they are interested in doing. So, if you want super-villainy, CoV is sorta the only game in town.

Plus, CoH/V has the "Going Rogue" expansion on the horizon, which will allow you to switch sides or play morally dubious characters who skirt the line between villain and hero. Again, if you're into that sort of thing, you won't find it in Champions.

Pony on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One deciding factor right now might be if you are looking for people to play with. CoX is dead as can be right now especially if you want to play with PAers. I can't speak for Champions activity though, someone else will have to comment on that.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    One arc I've made in the MA that's ranked pretty highly is one where you actually kill a superhero group a few at a time. I've gotten a lot of feedback from it along the lines of 'finally I'm acting like an actual villain.'

Scooter on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    One deciding factor right now might be if you are looking for people to play with. CoX is dead as can be right now especially if you want to play with PAers. I can't speak for Champions activity though, someone else will have to comment on that.

CHO is in a post launch lull where people are leaving who have done all the content or just realized they don't like the game. BUT there is only ONE game world, so as long as someone is playing there will always be someone to play with, without having to re-roll on another server. PA activity has been up and down, though a number of us have lifetime subscriptions so we'll be around for the long haul.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »

CHO is in a post launch lull where people are leaving who have done all the content or just realized they don't like the game. BUT there is only ONE game world, so as long as someone is playing there will always be someone to play with, without having to re-roll on another server. PA activity has been up and down, though a number of us have lifetime subscriptions so we'll be around for the long haul.

Like me!

Pony on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Like me!

and me, but I havent played in over a month.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    if you already played CoX, I'd say just get CO and play that for a month or two and quit. Unless you're super cheap then the $15 for a month of CoX is cheaper than the $50 for the first month of CO.

CoX- Years to polish and balance and fix complaints

CO- pretty awesome fight system and interesting power selection system.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The lack of grouping (both as in it being required, and it going on at all) in CO really killed it for me. If i'm going to play a single player game i'd rather not pay a monthly fee for it :?

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I flip-flop between CoX and CO because I have the money. 8-)

Wallhitter on