As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of The Year

• pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thankyou for that, Rolo.

pillow on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    clock of the year
    redundant-clock-by-ji-lee.jpg

unintentional on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    BusterK wrote: »
    Biggest surprise of the year is definitely Batman: Arkham Asylum. Crazy how they've revealed the trailer for the second one and people applaud it like any other huge franchise.

Best handheld game this year was Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

Why is it crazy for people to be excited about the sequel if the first was so good?

Not saying they're crazy, I'm excited as hell for it.

Just before it came out, I had this nagging feeling that a Batman game could never be that good, let alone rank up there with triple-A titles. Just feels very surreal that people (myself included) are getting excited about the next Batman game. If you had told me that a year ago, I would never have believed you.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only album I bought this year was Protomen Act II.

Oh and the remaster of Abbey Road, but I don't think that counts.

Speed Racer on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2009
    I hope the next arkham asylum is a little longer

I mean, that sounds weird from a guy who thought ghostbusters was one of the best games of the year, I'm sure, but I dunno, I was perfectly happy just renting batman and finishing the story

that might be because I'm not really a huge batman fan, though

DJ Eebs on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope the next arkham asylum is a little longer

I mean, that sounds weird from a guy who thought ghostbusters was one of the best games of the year, I'm sure, but I dunno, I was perfectly happy just renting batman and finishing the story

that might be because I'm not really a huge batman fan, though

this is exactly what I did. I didn't really enjoy any replayability aspect it offered.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited December 2009
    Arkham Asylum, on the first run, was plenty lengthy, especially if you did all the riddles and such.

My second time through on Hard was super-quick, though.

But for as long as it lasted, I didn't hate a single second of it, though.

The only reason I ranked Assassin's Creed II above Batman is because I found the gameplay of both pretty equally enjoyable, but ACII is considerably longer; even doing solely the main plot missions, it's probably the longest action game I've played.

UnbreakableVow on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really did like the challenges

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JoeUser is the best poster of the year for his Cute threads alone, as well as helping people out in the jobs thread

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited December 2009
    The length didn't really hinder my enjoyment of the game at all, really. It's a lot like Bioshock, where there's kind of a short campaign, but the environment is extremely well done and there's a lot of different ways to navigate through whatever challenges are there.

But it's the kind of game that I'm more likely to rent and play through once or twice, and never really consider buying until the price drops down to like, $20 or $30.

DJ Eebs on
  • Bizzaro StormyBizzaro Stormy I am Bizzaro Stormy. I am Bizzaro Stormy.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am Bizzaro Stormy.

Bizzaro Stormy on
    edited December 2009
    well, at least it's not a "I work at valve and know stuff you don't" post

DJ Eebs on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Why hello Bizzaro Stormy. I wouldn't have guessed.

Muse Among Men on
    edited December 2009
    This year had a few surprises for me, actually.

Batman being one of the best of the year.

A GTA game on the DS being more pure fun than any of the recent console ones (and I love the console games).

A movie-licensed game being super-fun (X-Men Origins: Wolverine).

Infamous being in my Top 5. I wasn't psyched for it all, because...lightning powers, that's pretty lame. But everything about it feels right, it has some of the best platforming I've seen in a 3D game, the story kicked ass...more people should have played this.

UnbreakableVow on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone see Jack Black's acceptance speech at the Video Game Awards? It was hilarious.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2009
    my lists aren't probably completely true since i'm sure i've forgotten some stuff

top 5 games:

1) Uncharted 2
    2) Batman: Arkham Asylum
    3) Skate 2
    4) Assassin's Creed II
    5) Ratchet & Clank: Crack In Time

Top 5 Movies:

1) Precious
    2) The Hangover
    3) Star Trek
    4) Fantastic Mr. Fox
    5) i actually don't know if there's a fifth movie from this year that I saw

Top 5 concerts:

1) Green Day
    2) No Doubt
    3) Blink 182/Weezer
    4) Reel Big Fish
    5) my dick

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2009
    Anyone see The Road?

Holy hell that was some bleak shit.

And I couldn't really find fault in it. It's like a perfect movie but I don't know if I could say I would ever watch it again and I wouldn't recommend it to most people.

trentsteel on

edited December 2009
    I don't think I can bring myself to watch Precious. I don't think I can do it.

DJ Eebs on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2009

Why not?

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2009

is that the movie where the girl is impregnated by her dad twice?

trentsteel on

edited December 2009
    I don't think I can watch it either. Like I'll just cry incessantly for two hours probably.

trentsteel on

edited December 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Why not?

just seems a little too bleak for me

plus, I'll probably have to wait for the dvd and I'm likely to forget about it until then, like I had until you mentioned it

DJ Eebs on
    edited December 2009
    trentsteel wrote: »
    I don't think I can watch it either. Like I'll just cry incessantly for two hours probably.

I thought I was gonna cry a lot but it wasn't until close to the end that I actually did cry

There were a lot of "Jesus christ"s though

Garlic Bread on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    well, at least it's not a "I work at valve and know stuff you don't" post

I'm trying to cut back on that, honest.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Paranormal Activity was a fantastic movie. Actually, no, it was an okay movie. But I loved it anyway. Creepy as hell.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    edited December 2009
    I SEE THROUGH YOUR GLAMOURS, THE GEEK

DJ Eebs on
  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dadouw wrote: »
    dead space god damn

game of the year all years

you and me, penguin

you and me

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
    edited December 2009
    Keith wrote: »

Why not?

just seems a little too bleak for me

plus, I'll probably have to wait for the dvd and I'm likely to forget about it until then, like I had until you mentioned it

i don't think you'd like it

Garlic Bread on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't know man. I guess I played some games that came out this year.

The best was probably Batman like everyone said. But I'm also incapable of remembering things that happened before August. So there's that

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

fat black girl with an attitude problem, 5 oscars

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • SpacehogSpacehog Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zephyr wrote: »

fat black girl with an attitude problem, 5 oscars

About time they did a documentary on Marylands DMV.

Spacehog on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    oh man I've seen that before

fucking bananas

I'd love to see one of those in action

It is a design concept. It does not work.

I'm aware, I'm just saying, a functional one would blow my mind and be awesome.

The same way a functional jetpack would be awesome.

Abracadaniel on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah it would be pretty cool. It may be possible with cds.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    well those use lasers

anything is possible with lasers

Abracadaniel on
    edited December 2009
    I love lasers.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Huh so Arkham Asylum 2 is coming out next year. Shit, now I really need to hurry up and play the first.

Also Force Unleashed 2? I didn't realize there was room or impetus for a sequel.

And that new PoP looks like ass not to mention a cheap movie tie-in.

oh and Green Day Rock Band? FUCK YOU.

At least the new MoH game looked decent despite looking like a clone of MW1.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IT'S THE BAT!!!!

Clint Eastwood on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Nah. It looks pretty distinct.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    best game of the year as far as I was concerned may very well have been inFamous

Tropico 3 might have done it if it hadn't come out right in the middle of the semester when I had much less time

MrMonroe on
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pharezon wrote: »

Nah. It looks pretty distinct.

With the exception of the helicopters part, it has the AC-130 mission, the snowmobile (albeit a 4x4 in this case), the night vision rescue, and the afghanistan locale down pat. All we need is a badass british chap, but this time give him a welsh accent and we've got this farce down cold.

The Otaku Suppository on