As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NY/NJ Get Togethers

PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
edited February 2010 in PAX Archive
Upcoming Events

Classic Swap Meet
Wednesday, January 23, 2010
Play n Trade on 13th St in Manhattan
There is no fee for entry except to bring some trade fodder for other attendees or snacks. If your going to bring snacks please let us know in our forums.
Chris
www.poconoarcade.com

Original Post
I am scheming a couple things, and would love to know what level of interest there is for outings/game days/happy hours. Let me know what kinds of things you'd like to do with like-minded gamers, when you're available, and where you'd be traveling from.

Please respond even if you're from PA/DE/Upstate NY but willing to travel!

I live in Eatontown and work in New Brunswick. I've been running board game days in Eatontown on Wednesdays and generally willing to do anything interesting in the NY/NJ metro area.

Past Events
Movie Night - UP
Friday, December 11, 2009
7:00 PM - 11:00 PM
PeasantDave's condo in Eatontown, NJ (PM PeasantDave for directions)
The will probably also be board game and video game playing.

HeroScape
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
6:30 PM - 11:00 PM
HeroScape is a board game/war game that's fun and quick to learn. You can see some pictures of it here.

PeasantDave on

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd be interested, but can't go further than Manhattan. I make the schedule at my job so that's not an issue for me.

Goose! on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'd definitely be interested (should be relocating to NY state in about a month).

Meeting in NYC proper is probably the best plan, since if we do something in NJ those of us using public transportation not from NJ are most likely going to have to transfer busses/trains in Manhattan anyway.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I live in Wall Twp. so I'm definitely in the area :)

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm down for anything I can get to with public transportation, unless someone offers to drive me. NYC area is definitely preferable. Bowling, karaoke, board games? What do people want to do?

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I have a tough schedule, but if I am free and there is a gaming get-together, you can absolutely count me in. I run a small board gaming night every 2 months or so with a blend of work/college/high school friends, so i can probably drag 1 or 2 of them in as well. Board gaming would definitely be my preference but I'd be down with anything.

I live in Jackson, NJ so that's very close to both Wall and Eatontown.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    donth8dredonth8dre Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I am down for anything. I live in Brooklyn, NY. Me and a couple of friends do a Rock Band night at a bar in the Manhattan on TUesday nights if you guys are intrested let me know.

donth8dre on
  • Options
    dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I live in Edison (close to New Brunswick) and work in Middletown (close to Eatontown) so anything that you might come up with is fine with me Dave. I can even host stuff in Edison if it's more of a central location for everyone. Board game days are awesome by the way.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    If anyone has something coming up just mention it here and I will add it to the OP and subject.

HeroScape
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009
    6:30 PM - 11:00 PM
    HeroScape is a board game/war game that's fun and quick to learn. You can see some pictures of it here.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey I had some stuff to do last night so I couldn't make it but I'm definitely up for another get together whenever anyone feels like hosting something.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Movie Night - UP
    Friday, December 11, 2009
    7:00 PM - 11:00 PM
    The will probably also be board game and video game playing.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey Dave hope things went well with the HeroScape. Never tried it but it seems like a good easy pick up & play wargame. Been on travel for work all this week so I can't make the Friday thing either but keep us informed. I've got an incredibly tight schedule but if I'm ever free, some quality board gaming is my first priority.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So on Friday it occurred to me that The Hangover is not out yet, so we may be trying to do that as a movie night again. We watched UP, playing some World of Warcraft Trading Card Game, and drank some beers. All in all a good time!

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    JamersJamers Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Now that my finals are over and I have a life again, count me in for whatever

Jamers on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm over in Stroudsburg/Mount Pocono/Tannersville PA. I'd be up to hearing ideas.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    BoondocksBoondocks Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I'm in school in NYC, but home is Philly. I'm there through MLK weekend, and I return to the city for the spring semester the 19th. I'm interested.

Boondocks on
  • Options
    GEPGEP Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well I live in queens,NYC. Wouldn't mind meeting up anywhere in Manhattan.

GEP on
  • Options
    TzidakahTzidakah Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    I'd love to get together with some cool gamers in NYC. Wednesday nights are best, but fridays are good too.

Tzidakah on
  • Options
    syntaxtmsyntaxtm Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Hi guys,
    Just wanted to mention that on January 23rd, I will be hosting a classic swap meet at Play n Trade on 13th St in Manhattan.
    There is no fee for entry except to bring some trade fodder for other attendees or snacks. If your going to bring snacks please let us know in our forums.

Chris
    www.poconoarcade.com

syntaxtm on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    HeroScape / Other Board Games
    Monday, December 28, 2009
    5:00 PM - 11:00 PM

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Was thinking of attending some local gaming events, and wanted to see if anyone here from the NY/NJ thread had feedback on whether they were worth going to:

Nerd by Nerd East (and other NerdNYC recess events)
    http://www.nerdnyc.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=44162
    This event is actually going on right now, so little late there, but it turns out they do something similar on a quarterly basis. They came to my attention b/c their boardgaming event this weekend was featured in Time Out NYC Magazine's "what's hot this weekend" column. I might be finding myself in the city a bit more as my wife is working there again, even with the almost 2 hour trip. God bless her.

Dreamation 2010
    http://www.dexposure.com/d2010.html
    The wife and I were considering going to this based on their 2009 event schedule. She isn't into deep strategy board games but it a huge fan of the Munchkin/Killer Bunnies/Fluxx type card games which they had no shortage of. If memory serves me correct I think I went to a convention by this company in about 1998 when I was into tabletop wargaming (Warzone at the time). Just really basic, here's a ton of space, he's a schedule of games that will be played. It wasn't pretty good, and it seems like their formula hasn't changed much. I remember buying an entire box of Sim City CCG boosters b/c the game had just died and it was dirt cheap. Oh man I'll never get that $10 back...

So is anyone familiar with these events, either the NerdNYC stuff or the Double Exposure conventions (Dreamation & DexCon)? Anyone from the forum planning on going to an upcoming one?

Gundabad on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm down for anything if someone is willing to drive my happy ass from Allentown, PA.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I know at least two other people with me are staffers at the Double Exposure conventions (and I know the NerdNYC peeps, though have not been able to help out in the last few years). The three of us also work as SJG MIBs, so we run the Munchkin stuff (and with 2 slots for MQ and a bunch of Munchkin slots, I don't think there's much of a problem getting a chance to play them).

klz on
  • Options
    ShauneTemperShauneTemper Registered User new member
    edited July 2011
    Damn I missed the meeting and I could of gotten there quite easily. Hopefully I wont miss the next meeting whenever it's going to be.

It looks like the tinnitus miracle is perfect for some ear canal and the lemonade diet is the right cleaning. The entire fat burning furnace forced me to be drop pounds and in addition the diet solution which was brilliant.

ShauneTemper on
  • Options
    SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    klz's a friend of mine, and a fellow MIB... yeah, we'll be at Dreamation AND PAX!

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone know if there are options to attend Dreamation and only pay for 1 day? I saw it was $50 for the whole length of the con, but didn't see any daily options. Would like to save money to spend at PAX East, and as I would only be able to make 1 day of Dreamation, $50 may be a dealbreaker.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    SinkuuSinkuu Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I do not know if one day passes are available in advance, but I do know you can buy one on site the day of the convention.

check the dreamation website, it'll give you more info.

Sinkuu on
    they made me a signature, but I eated it. and I have an 18 inch laptop. :P
  • Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This is fuzzy memory, so don't rely exclusively on this, but if I remember correctly, the day badge prices were something like $30 for Sat and $20 each for Fri and Sun. Usually most conventions charge close to the pre-reg weekend prices for the Saturday since it's the biggest day, but prices may have changed for this year.

klz on