As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Game suggestion for girlfriend

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm trying to think of a few games to recommend my girlfriend, but I'm having trouble coming up with good suggestions.

Systems she owns: DS, macbook, and ps2.

She loves the Professor Layton games, so anything like that should a success. She also likes the mario games, but has pretty much played them all. Zelda is out, as are games like Nintendogs.

So, she likes adventure games (especially ones with puzzles) and "casual" RPGs. I was thinking maybe Puzzle Quest? I've never played it, but it looked like it was light on the RPG elements.

Help me H&A!

Mace1370 on

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I heard the new Monkey Island series will run with bootcamp on the mac? I played the first episode on the PC, it was great!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ooo Monkey Island is a good suggestion. I'll look into it. Thanks!

Mace1370 on
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS) was a bit hit with me. The way a game should be made: simple and unique.

Awk on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    On the Adventure side, Machinarium could be a good choice. There's a mac version, it has a demo, and it's only $20.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    So I'm trying to think of a few games to recommend my girlfriend, but I'm having trouble coming up with good suggestions.

Systems she owns: DS, macbook, and ps2.

She loves the Professor Layton games, so anything like that should a success. She also likes the mario games, but has pretty much played them all. Zelda is out, as are games like Nintendogs.

So, she likes adventure games (especially ones with puzzles) and "casual" RPGs. I was thinking maybe Puzzle Quest? I've never played it, but it looked like it was light on the RPG elements.

Help me H&A!

There is a PC demo for Puzzle Quest. I own it for both the PC and DS, and it's pretty much the same game. It's just not as flashy on the DS. It's an easy recommendation.

SteevL on
  • MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How about "Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure"? It's a jump and run mixed with puzzle element.
    You should also look into Scribblenauts.

MacGuffin on
  • guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has she played any of the Katamari games?

guar on
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »
    On the Adventure side, Machinarium could be a good choice. There's a mac version, it has a demo, and it's only $20.

Seconding this!

Also, maybe Hotel Dusk? It's possibly my favorite DS game.

Agentflit on
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes?

I realize the name sounds really serious, but it's essentially a mix of a casual RPG and a puzzle game. The battles are completely puzzle based, but not as abstract as PuzzleQuest. If she's turned off to the fantasy elves/humans/monsters though, it might not be the best option.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Consider Rocket Slime.

Artereis on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has she played Okami? Hands-down one of the top adventure games on the PS2.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Check out Hotel Dusk or any of the Phoenix Wright games on the DS. Everyone loves objecting!

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
    edited December 2009
    These are all great suggestions guys. I think she has played the Katamari games, but I had totally blanked on Ace attorney and hotel dusk.

Mace1370 on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hotel Dusk is wonderful in what it does, but I put it down for a month and can't get back into it. It can be a hard sell.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    When you say that she's played all of the Mario games, does that include Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story? I don't know if I would call it a "casual" RPG, but the Mario RPG games are usually hits with people I know who aren't into hardcore 80-hour grindfests.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited December 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »
    When you say that she's played all of the Mario games, does that include Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story? I don't know if I would call it a "casual" RPG, but the Mario RPG games are usually hits with people I know who aren't into hardcore 80-hour grindfests.

Ya, she has played that one and enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree that the gameplay isn't necessarily casual, but the setting is (i.e. not your "epic fantasy final showdown between good and evil" that you usually get in a Final Fantasy type game).

Mace1370 on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I happen to LOVE hidden object games, does she? Mystery Case Files: Million Heir is on the DS, and Big Fish Games is a great place for more. Ravenhurst and Return to Ravenhurst are on the Mac. Hidden object puzzles, logic puzzles, an interesting story. My husband and I will play them together, and it makes for a fun time.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • DexxDexx Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Puzzle quest is a good start.

Games my wife likes:
    Puzzle Quest
    Kingdom Hearts (there is one for the DS) Your mileage may vary, its an action RPG...
    Harry Potter games (ps2)

Those are the ones i can suggest based on the systems you have.

Dexx on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Artereis wrote: »
    Consider Rocket Slime.

Great game, pretty 'casual' but tons of fun for 'gamers' too. Also Scribblenauts.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Consider World of Goo. A fun physics puzzler, and arguably one of the best designed games of 2008.

Entriech on
  • valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Any of the harvest moon DS might be something she'd like, especially if she plays facebook games like farmville.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My GF really liked Trace Memory.

projectmayhem on
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Games my wife, who is not a game fan but tries and i love her for it.

Kingdom Hearts (Big hit!)
    Guitar Hero
    Psychonaughts

Thundyrkatz on