As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East Costumes '10?

RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in PAX Archive
Cosplay Photoshoot for PAX East is tentatively as schedualed:

Day: Friday
Time: 5:15pm
Place: Main Lobby

Day: Saturday
Time: 3:30pm
Place: Main Lobby

Tell your friends and cohorts - there will be magic.

RainbowTunnel on

• Options
    KittehKitteh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I plan on dressing up! :D Trying to organize a rather large TF2 group, but people are being uncooperative so far. ><

Haven't been to PAX Prime but I do remember seeing a nice selection of cosplayers on Kotaku.

Kitteh on
    Mew+Mew+Kitty.png
    :: Twitter :: Steam ::
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm planning on dressing as a video game developer.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Oh ho ho, very clever NotACrook.

I was asking partially to see if anyone actually was going to dress up, and partially to see if it would be over kill to go as the Witch from L4D. I'm thinking it will.
    Hmmm... perhaps a Pikachu costume will be in order.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was going to post this a few days ago but RainbowTunnel's post has prompted me to do so now.

As with Seattle I will be holding the pre-PAX bar crawl on the Thursday before the convention begins. The theme for the ePAX crawl is going to be Pokémon so people will be encouraged to dress as Pokémon, trainers, and other characters from the original RBY Series.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

you realize, of course, this means no classy Brooks Brothers suit?

Usagi on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Usagi wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »

you realize, of course, this means no classy Brooks Brothers suit?

I'd never get the smell off.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Too bad I'm not 21+, otherwise I'd join in the bar crawling. High school forever, man!
    But even so, this encourages me to make a Pokemon costume. All hail the pokeemanz!

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My brother and I are going, and we keep arguing about this, back and forth. Current considered costume concepts are he as a Stalker from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, and I was considering doing Baiken from Guily Gears.

On the other hand, Pokemon....

The biggest thing is, I'm lazy. If I'm going to do a costume at all, it can't take more than a week to put together.

Zuki on
  • Options
    KittehKitteh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Zuki wrote: »
    The biggest thing is, I'm lazy. If I'm going to do a costume at all, it can't take more than a week to put together.

Yay, I'm really happy to see other people are planning to dress up! :D Eh Pokemon trainer costumes aren't too complex...

Ash - Red hat, blue jacket and jeans
    Brock - Green vest, orange shirt and khakis.

Can't wait for the bar crawl details!

Kitteh on
    Mew+Mew+Kitty.png
    :: Twitter :: Steam ::
  • Options
    Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Star Trek Online will be out by then, so methinks my Starfleet uniform shall get some airtime.

Pokemanz, eh? Kinda wanna roll along with the bar crawlers in a giant inflatable Pokeball...inefficient and awkward, perhaps, but totally worth it.

Kwisatz Haderach on
    Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pokemanz, eh? Kinda wanna roll along with the bar crawlers in a giant inflatable Pokeball...inefficient and awkward, perhaps, but totally worth it.

I would get an illegal ID just to see that.

For Pokemon costumes I have two I could do: Emo/Scene!Ash Ketchum or gijinka Pikachu.

For the lazy factor - dont' worry, I won't do anything that takes more than a few days, either. Kitteh has a point: you really just have to go out and buy the articles of clothing you don't already have. It's always nice to see a bugcatcher, too, All you need for that is a straw hat, blue shorts, a white t-shirt, sandals, and a butterfly net. Yay simplicity of Pokemon costumes!

If anyone has their costume done/WIP'd enough at any point before the con, feel free to post pictures. I'd love to see them.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I will bring my Starbuck costume, and maybe Tasha Yar if I can get a better uniform whipped up by March.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    ZukiZuki Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

For the lazy factor - dont' worry, I won't do anything that takes more than a few days, either. Kitteh has a point: you really just have to go out and buy the articles of clothing you don't already have. It's always nice to see a bugcatcher, too, All you need for that is a straw hat, blue shorts, a white t-shirt, sandals, and a butterfly net. Yay simplicity of Pokemon costumes!

I like shorts, they're comfy and easy to wear.

On the other hand, Boston is cold in March. I'll keep thinking about this as we get closer to the date.

Zuki on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

On the other hand, Boston is cold in March. I'll keep thinking about this as we get closer to the date.

It's true Boston is kind of chilly in March, but the Hynes is well heated. If you don't plan on going outside for more than a half hour at a time, you should be okay. You can always use the zipper-off pants that go from pants to shorts. Then bring the bottoms in a bag (or pants if not the zipper ones) and change before you go out! Winter Bugcatcher!

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Depending on what shape I'm in by march, I'm planning to go as a Psycho from Borderlands but only if I manage to actually get in good shape.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    LisaPlaysGamesLisaPlaysGames Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm pretty pleased to report that the Sheraton has an indoor pool. Me and my friend will be bring our fully functional mermaid costumes and hopefully having a small mermaid party at the pool one afternoon. Let me know if you want to join in :)

LisaPlaysGames on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm not gonna dress up, but I love looking at all of the sick costumes in these threads anyway. Hell, maybe I could do something easy like the scout from TF2...

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    ItalinaPeachsItalinaPeachs Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    My friend and I plan on going for a day and we are going to be the Three Ninja Chicks of Mortal Kombat. We had no idea where we wanted to where these costumes, so this is perfect!

ItalinaPeachs on
  • Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm going with a couple of friends as a full blown adventuring party, I've got white silk mage robes :D. Bringing my dice so I can make all the obvious jokes.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Onmitsu - I'm going to have to join you in the joking department. Actually my friends and I are mostly going for the board games/D&D, so it'll be great fun.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    ChurchesWifeChurchesWife Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've got a pretty involved Harley Quinn costume in the works.

New Harley, of course. Not as much spandex, but about 8 times the sexy.

ChurchesWife on
    Call me Ze.

achievementhunter.com/ChurchsWife
    Twitter.com/ChurchesWife
  • Options
    SillyconmindSillyconmind Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just fyi... I'll totally play with a mermaid party.

Sillyconmind on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    @ Rainbowtunnel: Niice. If we meet, be prepared to roll for initiative! You and your friends should definitely go in D&D inspired costumes! Or anime. Either way, honestly! There's a lot of crossover. Anime cons are full of videogame cosplay.

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I was asking partially to see if anyone actually was going to dress up, and partially to see if it would be over kill to go as the Witch from L4D. I'm thinking it will.

Dude!/Dudette!/Whatever you are! That would probably be the best idea ever! Just walk around crying and you wouldn't have to wait in any lines, since people would just run away from you as fast as possible! (either that or they might shoot you in the head with a shotgun)

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    roserevolutionroserevolution Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hello, just checking in as a cosplayer attending PAX East 2010. It's my first PAX, it looks like a ton of fun. I'm planning to bring Kokonoe from BlazBlue and Ellen from Folklore (default Faery cloak). I'm hopefully part of a Blazblue group. I know it's mainly a gaming industry con, but I look forward to seeing the cool costumes.
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    I'm going with a couple of friends as a full blown adventuring party, I've got white silk mage robes :D. Bringing my dice so I can make all the obvious jokes.

Haha, love this idea!

roserevolution on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

õ_õ

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Dude!/Dudette!/Whatever you are! That would probably be the best idea ever! Just walk around crying and you wouldn't have to wait in any lines, since people would just run away from you as fast as possible! (either that or they might shoot you in the head with a shotgun)

It would be awesome, but with not that many costumes, I think it'd be quite akward as well. So I'm 89% sure cosplaying the Witch will not happen, sorry!

@RoseRevolution: Sounds fantastic, can't wait to see you there.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    OriginalGmanOriginalGman JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I will most likely be sporting my Persona 4 protagonist costume. Though I'll probably be leaving the golf club at home, or just in the hotel room. Too bad the Sheraton is unavailable for booking.

OriginalGman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Maybe if you got a fake/plastic golf club, they'll tentatively allow you to bring it in? Or a mini-little-kid-toy-golf-club to substitute? I don't know the difference between what Anime Boston (the next weekend) and PAX allow prop-wise, but the Hynes should be okay with you doing that. Heck, they let the anime nerds get away with realistic guns.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    NintendoFanGirlNintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm definitely planning on cosplaying to PAX East despite being somewhat offput by the sheer lack of cosplayers. :(

Problem is, I really don't know what I'm wearing yet. If I can get money and time by the convention, I might have a Princess Agitha (from LoZ TP) or some other nice new costume. If not, I'll be re-wearing something I already have. Probably Marta Lualdi from Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the new world

Problem is, most of my costumes are anime based, and PAX is not an anime event :p (which of course isn't a bad thing, just stating facts.)

NintendoFanGirl on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I don't really need the golf club to complete the costume, but I think it makes it a lot better, at least for people who've played the game. I had to check the "weapon" at Video Games Live in NY, but we'll see. Not many people knew who I was there, the Kingdom Hearts cosplayers stole the show as always.

OriginalGman on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Maybe if you got a fake/plastic golf club, they'll tentatively allow you to bring it in? Or a mini-little-kid-toy-golf-club to substitute? I don't know the difference between what Anime Boston (the next weekend) and PAX allow prop-wise, but the Hynes should be okay with you doing that. Heck, they let the anime nerds get away with realistic guns.

http://www.animeboston.com/about/weapons/

I imagine the rules will be similar.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Perhaps if I carry it around in a golf bag, that'll be considered having it sheathed and they'll peacebound it.

OriginalGman on
  • Options
    StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Only costume I have thats con-worthy is my Snake Eyes, and once you strip the weapons and gear off that its moot. My sword is light plastic but the scabard and tonfas are metal so I wouldn't even try to get them in.

I'm entertaining the idea of wearing just the mask and visor, but with a shirt and tie. Maybe do a lawyer Snake Eyes. I'm 50/50 on the idea right now.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    @ Roserevolution: I like your idea too! It'd be totally epic if you went and played blazblue at the con while wearing the costumes, I know my group will swing by the tabletop gaming for sure!

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just so you guys know... Since I don't have a full time job at the moment, I'm not able to goto PAX East. So there will be no Waldo there.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010

http://www.animeboston.com/about/weapons/

I imagine the rules will be similar.

This will be my fifth year going to Anime Boston, and I've seen fake (but realisitc looking) guns all over the place every single year. Granted every weapon needs to go through a special line to have a special tag to make sure they're safe, but they're still allowed.

@Qs23: You're not going? That's too bad... it would have been amazing if you brought your Waldo costume.

I know this is a gaming con, and I'm using a Pikachu costume for one day, but I'm playing around with bringing my Flapjack costume (which I'll be wearing the next weekend for Anime Boston, ho ho ho). Do you think it's inapropriate? With PAX being a gaming con n' all.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    BigDumbHippyBigDumbHippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll probably have my sacboy costume

BigDumbHippy on
  • Options
    capnjackcapnjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Qs23 wrote: »
    Just so you guys know... Since I don't have a full time job at the moment, I'm not able to goto PAX East. So there will be no Waldo there.

Sorry to hear that dude. Best of luck to you!

capnjack on
    Q: "You are in the garden. You see a rose bush. You have a fishing rod. Exits are North, South and IN."
    A: "What do you want from me?!?!?"
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I would remind you guys that Saturday night through Sunday will be Purim, so you are all required to be drunk and in costume.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
This discussion has been closed.