As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

"Marvel's finest" team?

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Graphic Violence
Here's something I have wondered about before. We all know that Batman and Superman are the World's finest team, but they're both strictly DC. Who do you think would make up Marvel's "World's finest"? They would need to be both iconic characters, and very well known as personifying the company.

Judging by those criteria, my choice would be Captain America and Spider-man.

What about you?

Matthew on

• McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Deadpool and Deadpool.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spider-Man & Wolverine, especially in the past 5 years.

TexiKen on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Beak

Langly on
  • DistramDistram __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Iron Man & Captain America

Distram on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Marvel considers Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, and Thor the "Trinity" of the comics line, hence the big deal about all three of them banding together and attempting to bring down Osborn's Dark Reign.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wonder Man and Beast.

Munch on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wolverine and Captain America.

Hensler on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a classics guy myself.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist. *sniff* Bring back my Heroes for Hire.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't think the marvel readership is as unevenly distributed as DC's is, which is why they've been so successful and why a question like this is so difficult to answer.

I would probably agree with Wolvie and Spidey, though. Not only do they have the strongest sales potential within that Universe, but all the stories from the last few years with them just paling around have been pretty awesome.

HadjiQuest on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's hard because "Finest" is hard to define. For DC, Batman & Superman are their most iconic, most popular, most respected and most capable heroes.

For Marvel, Spider-Man & Wolverine are probably most popular, but in terms of heroic ideals and reverence from their peers, there's Captain America. If we're talking about the most powerful, there's Thor.

Lux on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If we're talking about teaming up... nothing beats Spidey and the Human Torch. Nothing.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    trying this one out to see how it sounds

sentry hulk

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    nah, thats a pretty bad taste

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spiderman and Wolverine have basically the same good-cop-bad-cop vibe as Superman and Batman, albeit without the rampant homoeroticism. Iron Man and Captain America, on the other hand, don't really contrast enough to be compelling as a team of two, though they have the rampant homoeroticism down pat.

Crimson King on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spider-Man and Luke Cage.

projectmayhem on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nogs wrote: »

sentry hulk
    That issue was awesome.

Wildcat on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Was indeed. They would make a cool team up again in the future too.

I don't think there is an equivalent, Batman and Superman are the iconic team-up. They even had a comic series at one point I think. Luke Cage and Iron Fist are the closest, and they havn't been a duo for ages, and neither are they anything like as famous.

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Still do, Solar, it's just called 'Superman/Batman' now rather than actually being titled 'World's Finest'.

Wildcat on
  • CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    If we're talking about teaming up... nothing beats Spidey and the Human Torch. Nothing.

:^::^::^: (I grew another hand for the third :P)

CarbonRod on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Nogs wrote: »

sentry hulk
    That issue was awesome.

I dunno...it was weird seeing Hulk act almost like a puppy for the Sentry.

I did like the moment they shared at the end of World War Hulk, in which they just went at it. At the end, when they were exhausted, it was like they knew that the best thing they could do for the other one, their friend, was to hlep them work out their frustration physically.

In terms of team-ups...Iron Man + Spider-man was kind of cool pre-Civil War, with Tony acting as the mentor and Spider-man providing the humor and witty quips.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hate to say this, but my favorite marvel team up was Kitty and Spiderman in the Ultimate universe. Sure, its no Batman/Superman, but goddamnit it is entertaining.

In the main universe tho it would be Captain America and Wolverine - both have a lot of similarities with one another, but react completly differently. In my eyes, that sorta goes along with the Supes/Bats relationship.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Victim PaycheckVictim Paycheck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    Eternity & The Living Tribunal.

Victim Paycheck on
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    I hate to say this, but my favorite marvel team up was Kitty and Spiderman in the Ultimate universe. Sure, its no Batman/Superman, but goddamnit it is entertaining.

In the main universe tho it would be Captain America and Wolverine - both have a lot of similarities with one another, but react completly differently. In my eyes, that sorta goes along with the Supes/Bats relationship.

If we're thinking like that, Cap and Punisher need to team up more often.

delphinus on
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    delphinus wrote: »

I mean Punisher War Journal was pretty entertaining right around civil war...

Maticore on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maticore wrote: »

Amen!

I thought about Punisher, but Steve really doesn't seem to like Frank. He at least tolerates Logan, which is strange considering Wolverines probably killed more people than Frank. Hell, in that "Enemy of Hydra" arc he killed a few thousand people alone.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Maticore wrote: »

Amen!

I thought about Punisher, but Steve really doesn't seem to like Frank. He at least tolerates Logan, which is strange considering Wolverines probably killed more people than Frank. Hell, in that "Enemy of Hydra" arc he killed a few thousand people alone.

It's a social commentary on how WWII vets view Vietnam vets, and vice versa.

WWII vets see Vietnam vets as pretty much psychopathic mass murderers, while Vietnam vets can't understand why the WWII vets don't like them, since they're pretty much the reason why they wen't to the war in the first place, to be LIKE them.

Also Steve has always liked the cut of Wolverine's jib because he isn't a murderer, he just does what needs to be done to complete the mission, and that's that. While Frank is much more of a "I LOVE TO TORTURE CRIMINALS" type of psycopath.

Transporter on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Frank isn't much of a sadist, all things considered.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hyperion and Nighthawk, duh.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
    edited December 2009
    Hyperion and Nighthawk, duh.

Hyperion vs Nighthawk was a damn good trade.

Hensler on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Was that the one where a good half of the story was the author saying "What's going on in Darfur is seriously fucked up, guys" ?

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • DamascusxieDamascusxie Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Starlord and Rocket Raccoon

>.>

<,<

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Groot and Rocket Raccoon

Better?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited December 2009
    If it doesn't have Cosmo, it's not better.

Hensler on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hulk and Wolverine, only because half the comic they'd be fighting eachother, then get together to fight the bad guys the latter half.

That and I've always wanted to see how the Hulk throwing Wolverine into a group of bad guys would turn out. Essentially The Fastball Special times one hundred.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Marvel considers Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, and Thor the "Trinity" of the comics line, hence the big deal about all three of them banding together and attempting to bring down Osborn's Dark Reign.

Call me cynical, but I think the reason Marvel considers those three the "Trinity" as you put it is because they still hold the movie rights to those characters. Spider-man and Wolverine are more popular, but until Marvel's moviemaking department gets their hands on them, they won't be pushed as much as characters that will be in the upcoming Iron Man 2/Thor/Captain America/Avengers movies.

UnbrokenEva on
    edited December 2009
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Call me cynical, but I think the reason Marvel considers those three the "Trinity" as you put it is because they still hold the movie rights to those characters. Spider-man and Wolverine are more popular, but until Marvel's moviemaking department gets their hands on them, they won't be pushed as much as characters that will be in the upcoming Iron Man 2/Thor/Captain America/Avengers movies.

You're cynical.

Hensler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Marvel's been pushing Spider-Man more than anyone. He's got a near-weekly title as well as a host of secondary titles, far more than any of the trinity.

The Marvel trinity is only regarded as such because they happen to hold prominent roles within the universe, not because of any real world concerns such as popularity and profitability.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Cable and Deadpool.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    C'mon guys, this is easy. Power Man and Iron Fist!

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Marvel's been pushing Spider-Man more than anyone. He's got a near-weekly title as well as a host of secondary titles, far more than any of the trinity.

The Marvel trinity is only regarded as such because they happen to hold prominent roles within the universe, not because of any real world concerns such as popularity and profitability.

If we were going with strictly sales and popularity, I'd go with Spiderman, Wolverine and Deadpool (only recently mind you, dude's got like 3 monthly ongoings at the moment and one more coming?) as Marvel's "trinity". Although Ironman, Cap and Thor obviously are the ones meant to be in that role.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon