As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just Cause 2: Causing Harder

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks fun, but it also looks absolutely ridiculous

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    enderjsvenderjsv Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It looks really good, but I would also like to see a video of someone who hasn't played before. It really looks like the guy playing in that video had the whole level memorized. I wonder how useful the "sticky" feature will actually come in when the game is played the first time through. Not only is someone probably not too likely to notice things like propane tanks and whatnot, but it also seems like simply shooting the bad guy might be faster and more efficient than using the grappling hook. Of course, this could be fixed if they put in bullet proof enemies that force you to get creative (which I really hope they do).

enderjsv on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    enderjsv wrote: »
    It looks really good, but I would also like to see a video of someone who hasn't played before. It really looks like the guy playing in that video had the whole level memorized. I wonder how useful the "sticky" feature will actually come in when the game is played the first time through. Not only is someone probably not too likely to notice things like propane tanks and whatnot, but it also seems like simply shooting the bad guy might be faster and more efficient than using the grappling hook. Of course, this could be fixed if they put in bullet proof enemies that force you to get creative (which I really hope they do).

I look at it this way. Yeah, it's easier, but is it more fun?

It's certainly not more fun than potentially having 4 or 5 corpses trailing from my tank like the most fucked up way to show someone just got married ever, that's for sure.

yalborap on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought JC 1 for like $20 and loved every fricken minute of it. I had just gotten my new LCD tv that has ambilight technology (which has lights on the side that light up pretty much the whole room the same colour that are at the edges of the screen) and the game looked uber pretty.

I probably would have been disappointed had I paid full price for it, but at a budget price it was mighty fine.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    coop please

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Looks fun, and it also looks absolutely ridiculous

fixed

I can understand why many people will have a problem with a super hero game that doesn't look like one. Maybe growing up in the 80s instilled in me that anyone with bad one liners and a physique can mow down hundreds of antagonists, shrug off bullets, and effectively be a super hero.

Also, I haven't played a Spider-Man game in a while, so maybe I'm just behind the times, but this seems to do Spider-Man better. It's parachuting instead of swinging, and there's no wall crawling, but I don't think any new Spider-Man games are going to be acceptable to me if I can't web a speeding car to a building and watch the car fling itself into the air.

Physics can make games better. Who knew?

I'm with Klyka and Pacifist in having a desire for co-op. Prototype and Infamous sound like a lot of fun. But it feels like they came from an alternate universe where Crackdown never existed. For sandbox games especially, co-op drastically extends how long they're fun.

I have a hard time going back to Hulk: UD now. I still respect it, but I've been there and done that. By contrast, I can go back to Destroy All Humans! 2 co-op at any time and it's still hilarious to make people and vehicles fly around with anti-grav disks, use telekinesis to build pyramids of dumpsters and cars, and give dramatic warnings when deploying Gastro or the meteor gun. The idea that Destroy All Humans! 2 is a better game than Hulk: UD is heresy. But strictly in terms of longevity, it's true. That's the power of co-op.

I understand that co-op doesn't put more dollars in a devloper's / publisher's pocket immediately, especially since it takes a lot of time and money to design, develop, and test. I also understand that reviewers frequently play alone, so it may not help a metacritic score. But if a game is supposed to have legs (and sell DLC), the power of co-op should not be discounted.

Oh, and Crackdown 2 has announced four player co-op. :^:

Blain on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    CRACKDOWN 2 HAS 4P COOP. HOLY GOD AWESOME

And yes, Mercs 2 was way more fun because I had Klyka along for the ride.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, color me impressed.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arise dying thread!

New previews up on Eurogamer and 1up with some awesome videos. I'd link to them but this laptop is a plastic piece of poo that doesn't do diddly right.
    Oh, a release date has been set too, March 23rd for the Yanks and 26th for the Pals.

edit: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/27343
    sweet! It worked. Youtubes working too now so I'll link up a few videos.

10 min E3 walkthrough
    I've never seen this before

Big Classy on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Oh man, that second video. Splooge! It looks really fun. And the game world is so damn huge.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Arise dying thread!

New previews up on Eurogamer and 1up with some awesome videos. I'd link to them but this laptop is a plastic piece of poo that doesn't do diddly right.
    Oh, a release date has been set too, March 23rd for the Yanks and 26th for the Pals.

edit: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/27343
    sweet! It worked. Youtubes working too now so I'll link up a few videos.

10 min E3 walkthrough
    I've never seen this before

K holy shit ive never seen the second one, my god, want now.

I love the two guys trying to untangle themselves haha. Also the fact that building and environment damage is becoming the norm in these kind of games, god bless gaming.

Also, 'hey should I shoot this water tower or just fly the helicopter into it?'

Prohass on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    GOD this game looks amazing.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    HOW MUCH DO I NEED TO PAY THESE FOLKS TO MAKE ME A PROPER "LOST" VIDEO GAME.

I will hand them a blank check. Fuck that island looks AMAZING to explore.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hot damn this looks like all sorts of crazy fun. Now I just need to figure out how to come up with the cash to preorder for all the bonus goodies. All of them look incredibly fun, and I would kick myself forever if I missed out on the hovercraft.

From the Just Cause 2 website:
    justcausepreorder.jpg
    Exclusive DLC at launch

That’s right, place your order for Just Cause 2 now and you’ll be eligible for exclusive downloadable content available at launch.

Need to know more? Here’s the low-down on each of the items you could be playing with come March 2010:

Agency Hovercraft

The ultimate in amphibious transport, the Agency Hovercraft is the most flexible form of transport in the game. Equipped with a turret-mounted grenade launcher, you’re guaranteed to blow your opposition out of the water

Rico’s Signature Gun

Customised by the Agency and adapted for Rico’s shooting style, this deadly accurate and powerful pistol has precision, power and flair

Bull’s Eye Assault Rifle

More powerful than the standard assault rifle, this lightweight and lethal automatic rifle features increased accuracy and a higher magnification scope

Chevalier Classic

No agent should be without a hot set of wheels and with an increased top speed and superior handling, you can arrive at your destination in style or make a guaranteed quick getaway

Chaos Parachute

Featuring a skull motif, make an entrance no one will forget … should you leave anyone alive to remember

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well on the bright side, it is DLC, so even if you can't get it at launch you can pick it up later I suspect. This will be a day one for me, I loved playing the first game, even if it was a bit on the easy side.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Did no-one else find just cause incredibly repetitive... you end up doing basically the same 3 or 4 missions over, and over, and over again.

Take over this drug barons house.

Now take over this drug barons house.

See that drug barons house? take it over.

the gameplay was fun, and the size of the playing field was amazing, but it felt like the developer really struggled to fill that map with anything interesting to actually do.

Deicist on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tallus wrote: »
    Did no-one else find just cause incredibly repetitive... you end up doing basically the same 3 or 4 missions over, and over, and over again.

Take over this drug barons house.

Now take over this drug barons house.

See that drug barons house? take it over.

the gameplay was fun, and the size of the playing field was amazing, but it felt like the developer really struggled to fill that map with anything interesting to actually do.

It wasn't about what you did but how you did it. Most games can be boiled down to repeating the same shit over and over but still remain good games. Example, Mario Bro. games boil down to jumping and running across the map to the end, the next level will be pretty much the same thing. Yet, Mario Bro. games are generally pretty popular and held in high esteem. Any particular shooter will pretty much boil down to aiming at things shooting at you, and killing it before it kills you.

I can see the complaint though, you have to make some of the fun for yourself. If I just cruised into each mission the same exact way and killed everyone the exact same way, it'd get boring. So I mix it up, maybe one mission I will try to be sneaky, maybe in the next I will try and kill everyone while surfing on the top of my car.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Holy shit this game looks so awesome.

Was the first one anything like what this game looks like? I never played it, but color me now interested.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The first game was stunning, except for the gameplay. The flying was actually the best bit and it rocked so much. Like I mentioned in my post earlier, I've never stuck with a game so much that I still own it years after release and play it often. Its just so relaxing to fly around. The missions are ridiculously repetitive as has been mentioned but it's a do it your own way type thing.

It's dirt cheap now so I definitely recommend picking it up if only to be able to fly around a gorgeous looking island.

Honestly, it makes me so happy that peopel are noticing this game so much more than the first. I was expecting alot of negativity given what people thought of the gameplay in the first. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, this looks like an almost Assassin's Creed 2 kind of update. 1 wasn't that good, but it had its really fun bits, whereas two looks really good.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Ha, I actually was meaning to make a thread for this game, completely forgetting that I already had!

But yeah, the previews so far have been really positive, and it's looking like it's going to be the game Mercenaries 2 wanted to be.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I played the fuck out of the original. Bought it on release day and even after 1000 pointing the achievements I kept trucking along with it. The flying was really relaxing...... which is weird for a game that pushes for action over laid-backness.

Truly relaxing in Just Cause meant jumping a motorcyle off the top of a mountain, deploying the parachute, and para-sailing at high altitude across the entire expanse of San Espirito.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    But you couldn't para-sail across the entire expanse. Unless you're hooked to a plane, but that's more hanging. Srill, it was all good.

Kyougu, you should add the videos to the OP, that shit is awesome.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    honestly this looks amazing

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    But you couldn't para-sail across the entire expanse. Unless you're hooked to a plane, but that's more hanging. Srill, it was all good.

Off the top of that mountain, I reached the ocean on the other side of San Esperito. The long way, and without ever using the grappling hook.

When I jumped the motorcycle, I ditched it with a lot of forward momentum, and thanks to the parachute, a lot of upward lift. The game seemed to respond in a counter-intuitive way and I was able to stay above the altitude I started at for nearly the entire journey, descending only to pick up speed so it didn't take forever to cross the island. Probably could've just gone hands-off, it was so stable.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Ah nice! Its all the reason I need to pop it back in again! Getting the bike up there must've taken forever, I tried an agency drop there and the crate just slid all the way down.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Alright some info for the OP;
    PS3 version gets an as yet exclusive video recording feature. Users can record up 10 minutes of footage and upload onto youtube directly. Nothing has been mentioned for the 360. That said, Avalanche never said the video recording was exclusive either, simply saying it's on the PS3 only. This leads me to believe that Microsofts' long rumored video recording update for the 360 is definitely in the works. Its alleged to be a feature that''l allow users to record footage from any game and voice over the footage for walkthroughs and such. My guess is Avalanche aren't bothering with their own recording feature because this already covered by the platform holder.

Also, I should totally have done the OP for this game, I'm probably more excited for this than when I passed my driving test. And I was worried I was growing out of games.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am impressed. It looks like they upgraded a lot of stuff from the first one.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Prohass wrote: »
    K holy shit ive never seen the second one, my god, want now.

I love the two guys trying to untangle themselves haha. Also the fact that building and environment damage is becoming the norm in these kind of games, god bless gaming.

Also, 'hey should I shoot this water tower or just fly the helicopter into it?'

No kidding.. I was like "Wow that sure is a pretty view from that cliff!" then I realized that it wasn't a skybox D:

This will be so much fun when it comes out no doubt.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Someone with autism, I challenge you to play the majority of this game without touching the ground

Prohass on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This will almost certainly be bought over Final Fantasy 13.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Holy shit, the bad guy is basically Kim Jong il from Team America

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/an-island-just-cause-2/60137

Prohass on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Haha. Holy shit, I thought you were exagerating before I saw that video. He even sounds like him.

Archonex on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Looking at the preorder stuff IdolNinja posted...a revolver WITH an underslung grenade launcher.

Revolver.

Grenade launcher.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

Haha. Holy shit, I thought you were exagerating before I saw that video. He even sounds like him.

He also has a chameleon on his shoulder while he talks about world domination. If it weren't 11pm right now, I'd be at a store preordering.

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    good god, it looks so much fun, and the fact that they've characterised the leader a bit (even if the humour is entirely a rip off), is so great. All a game like this needs to do is not take things seriously and its so much easier to enjoy.

Prohass on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I could not be more excited for this game. It's like Action Movie: The Game.

14uz1wp.jpg

Look at that. You can fly a plane into the air, get out and jump on top of it and ride it and then grapple hook to another plane seamlessly!

And it'd be one thing if only the action looked awesome, but the engine is freaking gorgeous. I hope it's good.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I simultaneously like and dislike how the far away environments appear to be unreachable skyboxes but are not.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Okay, I need an ETA on this shit.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    March 20-something, I think.

Clevinger on