MOTW 12/9/09: Bwa-Ha-Huh?

2»

Posts

  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    did any doggs pick up the world war hulk what if

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did, TLB

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    is it good or bad or mediocre

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    eh

    First story: Alright

    Second story: Kinda silly

    So Mediocre on a whole

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    dang

    The Lovely Bastard on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Take it with a grain of salt because of all the What If?s I was least jazzed about this one, but yeah, I'd say it's not a must have

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Pfft, worst part is obviously that one person isn't cap anymore.

    I honestly wouldn't have any problem with having two Cpt Americas. Let Bucky stay on the book proper and have Steve in the Avengers - or vice versa.

    SatanIsMyMotor on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Either way, that's still up in the air so it's pretty silly to complain about it.

    Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The best solution was no Hitch at all, give it to Butch Guice. Or find other artists in the stable who have proven to be monthly, and use them for this event (the event is big enough that even a lesser known artist isn't a hindrance to the book, it's Steve coming back written by Brubaker, it will sell well.)

    And I was expecting Steve to be reborn as somehow being the accelerated child inside Sharon who busts out of the womb to punch Red Skull in Steve's old body ala Captain America #1. Thanks for nothing Marvel.

    You basically just described the Mrs. Marvel / Scarlet Centurion storyline from AVENGERS #200.

    jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    My idea is so much better, I will have Chris Giarrusso draw it.

    Or Steve Epting. Cause you know. Epting.
    Epting!

    Lucascraft on
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    He was quoting Santos who, earlier in the story, says, "Magneto's a good guy now. We can totally trust him. Totally."

    You win again this time, context!

    Thor was pretty good this month. Pity I'd read most of it in the 'finale's' preview and here. Gotta start paying attention to spoiler tags. So I go for Fall of the Hulks: Alpha. No specific moment, but it was a overall a good read (IMO) and hopefully proof that Jeph Loeb isn't all bad not in the face! Please!

    I didn't enjoy Deadpool as much this time, but for a much stupider reason than Scott's treatment of Wade: the X-Men's treatment of Kincaid. He's an idiot for going along with Osborn's schemes; but then again he's a worried dad whose daughter's run off with what amounts to a secular cult, suddenly confronted by one of the most powerful and manipulative men in America.
    But at the end, when he's all repentant and confessing to journalists, they still treat him like a piece of dog crap to scrape off their boots. After all the fearful misunderstanding (and genuine intolerance, and sociopathic supervillains) they've seen. Even perennial genodical maniac Magneto gets cut more slack.

    So, yeah, stupid reason, and I've only read the last two parts so no doubt context will kick me in the ass again; but there you are.

    Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wondered why Fall of the Hulks wasn't as bad as it could be, and it turns out it's because Loeb was not the person writing it. It was Jeff Parker.

    durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • VermisVermis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    :oops:

    Okay, so he is all bad.

    Vermis on
    rulksig.jpg
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Invincible Iron Man 21 was quite good.
    And consider me a Batgirl convert, that's a really fun book.
    oh shit. Nation X was awesome. a lot of fun little vignettes.

    valiance on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Elite Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think I need to pick up the DC Holiday Special next week, because this was a good scene:

    dchs1.jpg

    dchs2.jpg

    TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Now, there's a man you can respect.

    Love how Raven's gift changes in a split second from sexy undies to a spellbook. There's a useful power indeed!

    Solar on
  • descdesc the '87 stick up kids Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I grabbed quite a few promising things last night. Deadpool's ongoing struggle for acceptance by established heroes was cute; Nation X had the excellent nightcrawler/wolverine roadtrip (I would so, so read a miniseries of those two driving around if it were done by Asmus and Allred); the Leonardo Manco / C. Fidler section of Necrosha X was good and makes me wish marvel would grab people like this to do a title like New Mutants in a throwback to the classic effed-up Sienkiewicz art in a capes book days.

    All of which are moment fodder to be sure. But! I also got three trades which I haven't even really dug into yet. A week without a MOTW is no week at all, and when you walk into a shop with low expectations and come out with unexpected gems, that's always a plus.

    I picked up One Model Nation, which I had read mention of before but then forgotten about. Published by Image and covering 1977-1978 in Germany, it involves the titular band, Baader-Meinhof, the RAF, and so on. Porter's lanky, scratchy art looks to suit the atmosphere very well and Taylor's dialogue is very casual and lifelike.
    one-model-nation-cover.jpg

    I grabbed David Mazzuchelli's Asterios Polyp which looks like one nonstop designgasm from start to finish. Just skimming it, the writing looks just as good. I can see this one lounging around on the coffeetable to be shown off for a while. I didn't know anything about this before picking it up off the shelf, but it looks like one of those careful micro-examinations of someone interacting with life that might appeal for fans of Chris Ware and the like.
    asterios+polyp-why+do+you%3F.jpg

    And last but not least, I'm giving the Moment of the Week Trophy to Darwyn Cooke's adaptation of Richard Stark's "The Hunter," done in a smaller format hardcover which looks great without the sleeve -- a bold orange with a black spine and a simple, blocky image of the main character made out of a few chunky shapes. Having just read Dashiell Hammett's "Red Harvest," I am now on the hunt for more crime/noir and this is the definition of hard-boiled being delivered to you with an eyeball massage courtesy Cooke. Everything about this is tailor-made to send me into fanboy overdrive.

    pages.jpg

    Too much good stuff this week!

    desc on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Parker the Hunter was gold.

    McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    desc wrote: »
    I grabbed David Mazzuchelli's Asterios Polyp which looks like one nonstop designgasm from start to finish. Just skimming it, the writing looks just as good. I can see this one lounging around on the coffeetable to be shown off for a while. I didn't know anything about this before picking it up off the shelf, but it looks like one of those careful micro-examinations of someone interacting with life that might appeal for fans of Chris Ware and the like.

    I have to say, I hate Chris Ware's stuff because it tends to be so full of navel-gazing, misery, and misanthropy, but I loved Asterios Polyp. I feel like it succeeds at being an amazingly well told story, which utilizes a huge number of tricks and techniques that could only be used in comics, while also being warm and without pretension.

    I feel like so many comics that are recognized as brilliant or intellectual are also things that I have virtually no interest in ever reading; Blankets, Maus, Ghost World, Jimmy Corrigan, and the like bored me to tears. Asterios Polyp succeeds at being a very smart book, which is also a lot of fun to read. There's a lot of subtextual stuff which is really interesting, and fun to read and dissect, but it can also be read purely at a surface level, and still be really enjoyable.

    It's a comic I really can't recommend enough.

    And yeah, Parker the Hunter's badass too. I read the first three Parker novels to get a feel for what the comic would be like, and now I can't wait for Cooke to finish the next one. Apparently he's going to combine the next two novels into one comic, which is pretty cool. I always think it's more interesting when an adaptation of a work takes a few liberties with it, rather than being slavishly obedient to the original.

    Munch on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA
    edited December 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    And yeah, Parker the Hunter's badass too. I read the first three Parker novels to get a feel for what the comic would be like, and now I can't wait for Cooke to finish the next one. Apparently he's going to combine the next two novels into one comic, which is pretty cool. I always think it's more interesting when an adaptation of a work takes a few liberties with it, rather than being slavishly obedient to the original.

    there's a really interesting interview in the back of one of the issues of criminal where ed brubaker interviewed darwyn cooke about the hunter. one of the things i remember was cooke talking about how the cartoonist's instinct is to change things around a little, to soften parker up for the audience a little bit, and he really had to struggle to put down just exactly what happened in some scenes. particularly, apparently,
    the scene where parker dumps his wife's body in the park and cuts up her face with a knife so she'll be harder to identify.

    he decided he couldn't change that kind of thing, because that's who parker is in the novels.

    anyway, i love the parker novels. the later ones are great too. i'm curious to see how many of these cooke ends up doing.

    also, desc if you're looking for more noir/crime books, try Pop 1280 or The Getaway by jim thompson. also, the actual parker novels are fantastic.

    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA
    edited December 2009
    ALSO i totally think you could compress the second and third parker novels into one book, easily. there's some great stuff in it (the scenes where parker comes back to the surgeon's house always stick with me) but, the second novel is basically just "parker gets plastic surgery". the payoff's all in the third book.

    Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    desc wrote: »
    And last but not least, I'm giving the Moment of the Week Trophy to Darwyn Cooke's adaptation of Richard Stark's "The Hunter," done in a smaller format hardcover which looks great without the sleeve -- a bold orange with a black spine and a simple, blocky image of the main character made out of a few chunky shapes. Having just read Dashiell Hammett's "Red Harvest," I am now on the hunt for more crime/noir and this is the definition of hard-boiled being delivered to you with an eyeball massage courtesy Cooke. Everything about this is tailor-made to send me into fanboy overdrive.

    Too much good stuff this week!

    Added that to my wish list... Where were you weeks ago with these good ideas?! :)

    Slagmire on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    From what I recall, Cooke said he's basically just cutting all the heist stuff out of The Man With the Getaway Face, and really only using the plastic surgery stuff. Which I think is for the best, as The Outfit is really the continuation of the story that began in The Hunter anyhow.

    I hope Cooke leaves in, or devotes enough page space to, all the mini-heists pulled by Parker's "friends" in The Outfit, as those were some of my favorite bits of that book.

    Munch on
  • descdesc the '87 stick up kids Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    also, desc if you're looking for more noir/crime books, try Pop 1280 or The Getaway by jim thompson. also, the actual parker novels are fantastic.

    om
    nom
    nom
    nom

    wishlisted

    desc on
  • KidDorkKidDork Registered User
    edited December 2009
    Deadpool's 'Clash' shout-out was my MOTW in a book that had at least five others. And really? Batgirl is good? Damn it all. I really don't need another title on my pull list.

    KidDork on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IF you like noir stuff, read Scalped.

    DouglasDanger on
    I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IF you like noir stuff, read Scalped.

    yes, Scalped is awesome. read Scalped.

    valiance on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I grabbed David Mazzuchelli's Asterios Polyp which looks like one nonstop designgasm from start to finish. Just skimming it, the writing looks just as good. I can see this one lounging around on the coffeetable to be shown off for a while. I didn't know anything about this before picking it up off the shelf, but it looks like one of those careful micro-examinations of someone interacting with life that might appeal for fans of Chris Ware and the like.

    I have to say, I hate Chris Ware's stuff because it tends to be so full of navel-gazing, misery, and misanthropy, but I loved Asterios Polyp. I feel like it succeeds at being an amazingly well told story, which utilizes a huge number of tricks and techniques that could only be used in comics, while also being warm and without pretension.

    I feel like so many comics that are recognized as brilliant or intellectual are also things that I have virtually no interest in ever reading; Blankets, Maus, Ghost World, Jimmy Corrigan, and the like bored me to tears. Asterios Polyp succeeds at being a very smart book, which is also a lot of fun to read. There's a lot of subtextual stuff which is really interesting, and fun to read and dissect, but it can also be read purely at a surface level, and still be really enjoyable.

    It's a comic I really can't recommend enough.

    Despite being a fan of a lot of the stuff you mentioned, I went out and ordered Asterios Polyp based on these two posts alone. Hooray!

    Lux on
Sign In or Register to comment.