As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TF2 Propaganda - Need Help! - New Poster added!

F87F87 So Say We AllRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hi all,

I'm no good with design, so I was hoping I could get some feedback on these? I kept them at the earliest stage, so I could work with the compositions and concept.

Please help!

tf_prop_1.png

tf_prop_2.png

F87 on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ahahahaha

I like those a lot! But they seem a little... sparse.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am also working on entries for this :D

My biggest crit is that they don't really look like propaganda posters. Do some research and look at classic propaganda posters from WWII and soviet russia. Classical propaganda posters have large color shapes, stylized typography, and a general focus on composition. They are extremely graphic in nature. Things like painterly values are second to composition and big shapes. Check out some of the posters here: http://www.squidoo.com/vintageussrposters

Additionally: Are you using photoshop? Try blocking in your colors with the polygonal lasso tool or with a 100% opacity hard brush. If you block in your colors that way it'll save you a lot of time in the long run. Its so much easier than trying to build up shapes with a semi-opaque brush. One of my favorite artists, Lou Romano, pixar artist, works that way. http://louromano.blogspot.com/

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks guys!

I did another one based on your feedback.

So, out of this and the first two, which do you guys like best?

tf_prop_3.png

F87 on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The last one is easily the most interesting, composition wise. I like minimalism, but the first two are a bit too frugal. The globe feels a bit out of place though, since TF2 has a very distinct colour scheme. You might be able to pull it off, but as it stands it doesn't really work.

I'm thinking of doing an entry for this too. I have an idea, I just need to pull if off.

Flay on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I like this last design, but yeah, the colours on your earth are a bit too saturated and it doesnt quite convey that tuftoo style, but i'm still diggin' it.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

I did another one based on your feedback.

So, out of this and the first two, which do you guys like best?

tf_prop_3.png

This is the best. I also dont mind the concept for the first one, just re-work the composition.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the last one's pretty cool
    but if i were to change it i'd make the rocket trails straight and make the figure more graphical to further show the propaganda poster style

sharky t on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    kill all demoMEN is what I think you mean.

I have no idea what these mean though. like valeryce, look into propaganda work (usually use yellow, red, and white, possibly blue). these seem more like graphic design pieces and wouldn't work as "propaganda," per se, though I like the second one.

that one is working the most for you because it doesn't reveal your weakness with rendering three-dimensional form. you have a good sense of design, so if you still need to work on form more, then your best bet might be making something that's like the second one but more in-your-face.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I submitted the last one. Thanks for the help everyone.

srsizzy - You think I have a weakness in rendering 3d forms? I am inclined to believe that, but I never thought that was my main weakness.

F87 on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shouldn't demoman (or demomen) be two seperate words? It reads like demon man at first glance.

Mustang on