As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where did the forums go?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am honestly puzzled why he just didn't make a dickerdoodle thread.

Did he try making a topic and it got shut down?

I do not see dickerdoodles being particularly christian or anything.

Maybe you just need to make sure the dickerdoodles are circumcised?

Blake T on
  • Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I knew he didn't have the guts.

@Blaket, I was told by a mod not to make penis-shaped cookie related threads. Now I'm just here to cause trouble.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2009
    didn't have the guts to what? press the button next to your post that bans you? what is it you imagine that frightens me so about that prospect? You can whine petulantly to your hearts desire my sweet. I thought you were "gone for two weeks" anyway.

Tube on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    hint: Tube is very flippant about rules and whatnot

do not poke the bear

Tube are you even jewish

Raneados on
    edited December 2009
    I've got a big nose and I love money

Tube on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    or people could just not get their panties in a bunch over something so ultimately frivolous at this time of the year

Whatever. Unfair, discriminatory, insensitive... debate all you need, I just wanted to post about my goddamn dickerdoodle submission. Color me disappointed. This entire facade stinks of enforced special rights, you know. The holidays should be for everyone, every year.

Go on, Tube, show us your ban boner. I'm gone for two weeks anyway.

I'm pretty sure your dickerdoodle submission can still be posted if you can Jew it up somehow

I'm also pretty sure you won't die if you don't post it at all for a few more days

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    People griping that the rest of the forums being locked away is a legitimate complaint. I have no burning need to know about a myriad of G&T threads, but I'm just at the beginning of a Let's Play. I chose now to do it because through December, I'm reasonably sure I'll have enough time to update regularly. The nature of my job, however, means that once the New Year starts I could abruptly end up being unable to update more than once every week or two.

It's not like I'm doing the thing for money or recognition; I'm doing it because I want other people to be able to enjoy something I like. So after waiting for weeks to start the thing (new computer parts, work, etc), BAM, complete forum shutdown. Would it really have been criminal to just make the Hanukkah thing an optional extra forum? If this ends up actually running for 8 days, it could be the death sentence for something I've been looking forward to for some time now. Yay.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited December 2009
    so run it in the hanukkah forum.

Tube on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    That is precisely what I was insinuating.

I'm not saying you are doing it on purpose, I'm just saying your timing sucks.

I think you'll find my timing impeccable. My festive forums are never late, nor are they early. They arrive precisely when they are meant to.

The Grey or the White?

Cade on
    edited December 2009
    Would it really have been criminal to just make the Hanukkah thing an optional extra forum? If this ends up actually running for 8 days, it could be the death sentence for something I've been looking forward to for some time now. Yay.

This would be far too logical. However, if you do run the Let's Play in the Hanukkah forum I'll be there to bump it. Eventually the mods are going to realize that they're running a forum for Penny Fucking Arcade and that their millions of readers might eventually want a working games forum. Just a hunch.

And don't worry, Tube, I'm packing my Speedos soon and then I'm out the door.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
    edited December 2009
    don't let the door hit you

Tube on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Would it really have been criminal to just make the Hanukkah thing an optional extra forum? If this ends up actually running for 8 days, it could be the death sentence for something I've been looking forward to for some time now. Yay.

This would be far too logical. However, if you do run the Let's Play in the Hanukkah forum I'll be there to bump it. Eventually the mods are going to realize that they're running a forum for Penny Fucking Arcade and that their millions of readers might eventually want a working games forum. Just a hunch.

And don't worry, Tube, I'm packing my Speedos soon and then I'm out the door.
    or you know Penny Arcade is a webcomic that is lighthearted and fun and therefore people who enjoy the comic probably wouldn't mind a bit of whacked out fun

on top of that you call it discriminatory when in previous years this has happened at Christmas... it's a random holiday or two a year

go ahead and be self-righteous all you want, the point is the forums are a FREE place for you to share your Abrahamdamned dickerdoodle entry and Ninja Snarl's LP and other stuff like that, so really unless you want to start bitching about a subscription fee I'd just fucking drop your pants and go with the flow here

so seriously loosen up and have some fun, your life doesn't come to a standstill just because the forums are different for a little while

and in 8 days if your LP dies, then I gotta say it probably wasn't a very good LP

Fishman's X-Com LP ran for a year and change and sometimes he didn't update it for a week or more at a time

so everyone just RELAX and go with it and you might just have some fun

and give me money because it's Hanukkah and I'm Jewish

also who even wears Speedos anymore by Abraham

Vivixenne on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I don't quiet understand how removing all the other forums is being festive.

Also, what about Christmas? No Christmas section?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    edited December 2009
    there was a Christmas one last year

IT HAD ITS CHANCE

plus it's not even Christmas yet

Vivixenne on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Christmas is still a week away

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I saw a menorah with 4 or 5 lights already on. Is it really just the first day?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, Darius. Post your dickerdoodle submissions over at the K&G forums. I'd love to see the length of your depravity.

Get it? Length? It's a penis joke. Dickerdoole...get it? Penis?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think the first day was like

the 11th

Raneados on
    edited December 2009
    What the hell do I do here now? Read the Jewsmas forums about how their beard hair is growing out?

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    so run it in the hanukkah forum.

I asked for permission but received no response (in this thread, not a PM, so it's understandable if it was missed). I may not agree with how the Hanukkah thing is being done, but I don't want to spoil everyone else's fun. Plus, I'm pretty sure trying to keep the voiceover interesting and not make the use of a bunch of stereotyped Jewish words sound horribly forced would mean I'd end up making some pretty dull and un-entertaining vids. I have no problem with Hannukah-izing the LP thread, but would keeping the LP videos in the same style be acceptable?
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    go ahead and be self-righteous all you want, the point is the forums are a FREE place for you to share your Abrahamdamned dickerdoodle entry and Ninja Snarl's LP and other stuff like that, so really unless you want to start bitching about a subscription fee I'd just fucking drop your pants and go with the flow here

and in 8 days if your LP dies, then I gotta say it probably wasn't a very good LP

Fishman's X-Com LP ran for a year and change and sometimes he didn't update it for a week or more at a time

I'm 99% sure I'm being as laid back as hell about something I was enjoying doing getting interrupted unexpectedly. I'm also 99% sure that your response to my perfectly civil and reasonable statement is 3000% more uptight than I'm being.

I also mentioned nothing about my LP dying, just that getting a surprise setback for slightly more than a week could end up being a huge setback. I enjoy it, but I also consider it a responsibility; thus, I don't want to hit February and end up having to tell everybody watching that I'm too busy all of a sudden and the LP will never be finished. And yes, I guess drawing out an LP over an entire year would just make a fantastic time for everyone involved despite the fact that there are people playing parallel to the LP.

But hell no, let's get completely polarized and shoot our mouths off at people trying to be civil. That'll really help people enjoy the whole event.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited December 2009
    What the hell do I do here now? Read the Jewsmas forums about how their beard hair is growing out?

or, you know, have some fun and just shoot the shit with people

there are nice people around here you know

and have some fun like in the Draw a Rabbi thread (seriously it is hysterical especially if you were around for Draw a Horse)

and if find no enjoyment in any of those things then sorry your sense of self-entitlement has been poorly satisfied

Vivixenne on
    edited December 2009
    those things then sorry your sense of self-entitlement has been poorly satisfied

Reaching...but not quite there.

I'm sure it sounded more clever in your head.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
    edited December 2009

I'm 99% sure I'm being as laid back as hell about something I was enjoying doing getting interrupted unexpectedly. I'm also 99% sure that your response to my perfectly civil and reasonable statement is 3000% more uptight than I'm being.

I also mentioned nothing about my LP dying, just that getting a surprise setback for slightly more than a week could end up being a huge setback. I enjoy it, but I also consider it a responsibility; thus, I don't want to hit February and end up having to tell everybody watching that I'm too busy all of a sudden and the LP will never be finished. And yes, I guess drawing out an LP over an entire year would just make a fantastic time for everyone involved despite the fact that there are people playing parallel to the LP.

But hell no, let's get completely polarized and shoot our mouths off at people trying to be civil. That'll really help people enjoy the whole event.
    Well as far as I'm concerned (and I'm an individual here so you know), it's not about who's civil and who's laidback or not. It's about people missing the point.

You go on about responsibility... well, if you don't want to run the LP right now through the Hanukkah forum, you have free time now so why not get miles ahead so that if you end up busy in February you've got stuff to throw up to buy yourself time?

And yeah I'm running my mouth off because people have been acting all self-entitled and while I'll admit my animosity was more directed at Darius and his Speedos instead of you (and I will apologise that you got caught in that crossfire), imagine what it must be like to try to have a good time and have fun and then watch people moan and complain about it because no, THEY'RE not happy so YOU GUYS ARE ALL WRONG FOR ENJOYING THIS.

If you don't like it you don't have to post, but if you complain then you should expect people to defend what's going on (if they bother to at all). The truth is a lot of the complaints have come awfully close to dictating what the Mods and Admin "should" or "should not" do, and that's honestly none of the forum-at-large's business.

I said it earlier... they babysit the fuck out of the forums during the year and give us a great community to be a part of, so if they want to mix things up a bit and have some fun I don't think we should begrudge them the opportunity.

Vivixenne on
    edited December 2009
    Also, Darius. Post your dickerdoodle submissions over at the K&G forums. I'd love to see the length of your depravity.

Get it? Length? It's a penis joke. Dickerdoole...get it? Penis?

Could you elaborate? I think I missed your... point.

How about I send you the pic instead. Not sure how Keen would react to a picture of a cookie penis shaped like a guitar, shooting a bolt of semen lightning out of its tip.

and have some fun like in the Draw a Rabbi thread (seriously it is hysterical especially if you were around for Draw a Horse

Not all of us are into that kind of stuff, dude. I'm pretty sure my hair would set on fire if I walked into a temple.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think it's fun to watch because Tube is basically melding all the different boards together into one. Boards with people that choose to associate or ignore one another, all being forced to play with each other.

And then he gets to laugh at the powderkeg.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited December 2009
    Personally, if the mods decided to up and shut down the boards for a week just for a break, I would've totally understood that. If I wasn't in the middle of an LP, I wouldn't even normally care.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited December 2009

and have some fun like in the Draw a Rabbi thread (seriously it is hysterical especially if you were around for Draw a Horse

Not all of us are into that kind of stuff, dude. I'm pretty sure my hair would set on fire if I walked into a temple.

and meanwhile I'm pyrophobic

okay here

try just going into any thread regardless of topic (minus the beard one because that has gotten kinda ... weird) and follow the conversation

it's just TALKING to people about random shit and occasionally throwing out a Jew reference to keep things kosher and I mean look

have you honestly TRIED to have fun or did you run straight to your indignaphone?

dudes around here are cool no matter what the situation, give em a chance

Vivixenne on
    edited December 2009
    I think it's fun to watch because Tube is basically melding all the different boards together into one. Boards with people that choose to associate or ignore one another, all being forced to play with each other.

you kinda start to see who really takes the division between the forums seriously and who doesn't

I personally love it when they do this because it means more people start posting in SE++ and realize it's awesome in there and we meet more neat people

Vivixenne on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    the whole holiday forum thing is basically just an exercise in teethgrinding

also humorous infractions

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

you kinda start to see who really takes the division between the forums seriously and who doesn't

I personally love it when they do this because it means more people start posting in SE++ and realize it's awesome in there and we meet more neat people

it's not a matter of 'taking forum division seriously.' people come to the forums for a bunch of reasons and I can't imagine random socialization about dradels is a very popular one

and I mean, the forums are awesome so I don't really begrudge the mods fucking around for a day or two here and there, but it's not as though everyone wants to read SE++

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    NinjaP; you could also start your lets play, make about 4-5 updates and have them pre-packaged and ready to go once the forums go back to their usual ways. Sure, you won't be able to change anything about the LP (unless you want to re-record a set or two due to some really awesome advice or w/e, but at the same time you'll get the progress done that you want to get done.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

it's not a matter of 'taking forum division seriously.' people come to the forums for a bunch of reasons and I can't imagine random socialization about dradels is a very popular one

and I mean, the forums are awesome so I don't really begrudge the mods fucking around for a day or two here and there, but it's not as though everyone wants to read SE++

and that's fair enough, absolutely, I agree with you in principle

but it's the people who assume SE++ is this terrible place where we are all terrible and blahblahblah that actually bothers me

I've seen it in threads I am reading in other forums... people saying "oh man don't ever go into SE++ it's terrible"

look it's one thing to rip on SE++ for its antics, D&D for its love of logical fallacies and the fallacitical use thereof (I made up that word how awesome am I), GnT for their in-depth gaming discussions, and the like... but it's another to just straight up call a forum—and the people who post there—terrible

SE++ catches it more often than most, but I suppose I only notice it because that's where I post the most... and to be fair, SE++ does toss a fair amount of its own shit back

and I guess I would just ask why we can't just not care about any of that for even a few days in a year

Vivixenne on
    edited December 2009
    how interested would you be in participating if the entire forum turned into D&D during holidays?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »

and that's fair enough, absolutely, I agree with you in principle

but it's the people who assume SE++ is this terrible place where we are all terrible and blahblahblah that actually bothers me

I've seen it in threads I am reading in other forums... people saying "oh man don't ever go into SE++ it's terrible"

look it's one thing to rip on SE++ for its antics, D&D for its love of logical fallacies and the fallacitical use thereof (I made up that word how awesome am I), GnT for their in-depth gaming discussions, and the like... but it's another to just straight up call a forum—and the people who post there—terrible

SE++ catches it more often than most, but I suppose I only notice it because that's where I post the most... and to be fair, SE++ does toss a fair amount of its own shit back

and I guess I would just ask why we can't just not care about any of that for even a few days in a year

I think it's more just a type of humor that doesn't interest some people. I'll skim through there every once in awhile, but if you don't spend the majority of your reading in that forum, you'll miss out on 95% of the in-jokes being tossed around. While some people are saying SE++ is terrible, I think some people just don't find it that entertaining.

Personally, I lurk it for another set of opinions/ ideas on a topic that there is already a thread about in another forum. But when it comes to the big SE++ joke threads, I steer clear, because I would have to read pages 1-89 to get the joke on the last page, and that's if the thread isn't a reference to a post in the middle of a 100 page thread two months back.

SE++ is a pretty isolated group, so it's hard for people to just dive right in.

UEAKCrash on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just think its amusing that despite the effort to meld forums together, what really ends up happening is the entire forum becomes SE++ for the duration of the holiday period. I like it because it gives people who don't normally post in the forum a chance to see that it isn't all bad, but for example if you look in the hanukkah forum right now i would say 90% of the threads there have a distinctly SE++ flavour to them.

Dhalphir on
    edited December 2009
    t Crash:

I dunno I guess I just find SE++ to be a something for everybody sort of place

we have our opine activists, our artists, our helpers, our saints, our gamers, our nerds, etc... and while SE++ does have its own sort of "culture," it's not that hard to dive right into a thread on a topic you are kind of interested in and join in as long as you're not being retarded, elitist, or presumptuous

still I see where you're coming from, but to be fair I could say the absolute same of GnT threads (hell the only reason I ever posted there was because I happened to play TF2 with you guys, beyond that I'm happy just reading) and D&D threads (made a foray in there once or twice and it was more stress than fun) and to an extent the GV forum, but I only really go there if I have a question about an arc I've missed

and honestly I would post more in H/A if I could, but that has turned into something of a timing issue, I've found, and I heartily dislike being beaten to the punch

that said

I miss playing TF2 with you folks :(

Vivixenne on
  • RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I just think its amusing that despite the effort to meld forums together, what really ends up happening is the entire forum becomes SE++ for the duration of the holiday period. I like it because it gives people who don't normally post in the forum a chance to see that it isn't all bad, but for example if you look in the hanukkah forum right now i would say 90% of the threads there have a distinctly SE++ flavour to them.

I think that has to do with SE++ posters liking the "Lets have random holiday hijinks" while everyone else just stops posting until the randomness is once again self-contained.

For the record, I am totally Jewish. All loving the Hanukkah. And hating bacon.

Raynaga on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Can't play TF2 anymore for some reason?

UEAKCrash on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

You can play it, you just can't start a thread talking about it.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited December 2009

I got a job that keeps me pretty busy and I often work late because I have to coach or train as well for beach volleyball

plus the tournaments are on weekends

then when I get home you know it's all TOGETHER TIME and dinner and stuff

basically the next time Blaket gets a single-player console game to occupy his time is the next time I will be on TF2

Vivixenne on
This discussion has been closed.