As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

'07 Console Tournaments: Rules and Info

Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
This thread is for rules, registration guidelines, updates, schedules, and questions regarding console tournaments ONLY. This thread will NOT cover console freeplay or any other events, including handheld, PC, tabletop, etc.

Schedule
Friday, August 24th
4:00pm~8:00pm -- Super Smash Brothers Melee (GC)
9:00pm~12:00am -- Guitar Hero 2 Teams (360)

Saturday, August 25th
11:00am~2:00pm -- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (360)
3:00pm~6:00pm -- Guitar Hero 2 Singles (360)
7:00pm~10:00pm -- Mario Kart: Double Dash (GC)

Sunday, August 26th
11:00am~2:00pm -- Gears of War

Registration
  • Registration for ALL console tournaments begins on Friday, August 24th, right outside of the console tournament area.
  • Sign-ups for Saturday and Sunday tournaments will be limited on Friday. Unrestricted registration begins the morning of a specific event, meaning sign-ups for Sunday are also restricted through Saturday. See an individual tournament's section below for more information.
  • Each tournament has two lists: Main and Standby. Once the Main list has been filled up, you can only sign up on Standby. This means you can only enter the tournament if someone from the Main list fails to show up (odds of this happening are generally pretty good). Entrees from Standby are on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • If you do not have a complete team for a team tourney, you must enter on Standby. If you subsequently find a team before the tournament starts AND there is room on the Main list, you will be moved into a guaranteed spot. Otherwise, you will be paired up with whoever else we choose from the Standby list.

Born to Duck
Zig21 on

• Zig21Zig21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Super Smash Brothers Melee
    When: Friday, 4:00pm~8:00pm
    Format: 1 vs 1, single elimination
    Player Cap: 256 players

Rules
    Singles (1v1)
    Stocks: 4
    Time Limit: 6 minutes
    Damage Ratio: 1.0
    Stage Selection: Random
    Pause: Off
    Self Destructs: -1
    Items: Off

During a match, the winner of an individual game must keep same character. Loser may switch characters if they wish to do so. This rule ONLY applies to a single opponent. At the start of a new match, you may select any character.

Stalling tactics and the Ice Climbers' freeze and infinite throw glitches are banned.

Available Stages:*
    Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, Jungle Japes, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Island, Fountain of Dreams, Green Greens, Corneria, Venom, Onett, Mute City, Pokemon Stadium, Kongo Jungle (Past), Yoshi's Island (Past), Dream Land (Past), Final Destination, Battlefield

*Subject to change.

Format: Qualifiers
    • Players will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 players
    • Each pool will be organized into an 8 player single elimination bracket
    • Each match will be best of 1 game
    • The winner of each pool advances to the semi-finals

Format: Semi-Finals and Finals
    • The winning players from each pool will be re-seeded and placed into a new 32 player single elimination bracket
    • If time allows, each match will be best of 3 games (stock and/or time limit subject to change)
    • If we are short on time, each match will be best of 1 game (same settings as Qualifier round)
    • If time allows, bracket semi-finals and grand finals will be best of 5 games

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    Guitar Hero 2 Teams
    When: Friday, 9:00pm~12:00am
    Format: 2 vs 2, single elimination
    Player Cap: 128 teams (256 players)

Rules
    Cooperative
    Difficulty: Hard (both teams may select Expert if they wish to do so)

Song Selection
    For each match, we will provide a list of three randomly selected songs. Each team will have the option of eliminating one song from the list, and must play whichever song is left. For any best-of-3 match, this list is extended to 5 songs (teams still get only one pick per match).

Format
    • Teams will be divided into 16 pools, each containing up to 8 teams (16 players per pool)
    • Each match will be best of 1 song
    • Both teams will play the same song at the same time, using 2 seperate stations
    • Semi-finals and/or finals will be best of 3 songs

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
    When: Saturday, 11:00am~2:00pm
    Format: 4 vs 4, single elimination
    Player Cap: 64 teams (256 players)

Rules
    Team Sharpshooter
    10 minute time limit
    Rounds per-match: 2
    Team respawn: No
    Lock teams: No
    Friendly fire: No
    Game point limit: None
    Briefing timer: 5 seconds
    Maps: Killhouse, Vault
    Restricted Items: XM-26 shotgun, C4, GPS, Motion Sensor, Radar Jammer

Format
    • Teams will be divided into 8 pools, each containing up to 8 teams (32 players per pool)
    • Whichever team has the highest cumulative score after 2 rounds wins
    • Teams must switch spawn points in the 2nd round
    • A tie will be decided by a short 5 minute "overtime" round; teams will flip a coin or RPS to determine spawn points

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    Guitar Hero 2 Singles
    When: Friday, 3:00pm~6:00pm
    Format: 1 vs 1, single elimination
    Player Cap: 256 players

Rules
    Pro Face-Off
    Difficulty: Hard (both players may select Expert if they wish to do so)

Song Selection
    For each match, we will provide a list of three randomly selected songs. Each player will have the option of eliminating one song from the list, and must play whichever song is left. For any best-of-3 match, this list is extended to 5 songs (players still get only one pick per match).

Format
    • Players will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 8 players
    • Each match will be best of 1 song
    • Semi-finals and/or finals will be best of 3 songs

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    Mario Kart: Double Dash
    When: Saturday, 7:00pm~10:00pm
    Format: 16 player races, single elimination
    Player Cap: 128 teams (256 players)

Rules
    Each race includes 8 teams with 2 players each
    Random character and Kart selection
    Standard Karts only
    150cc

Format
    • Players will be divided into 32 pools, each containing up to 4 teams (8 players per pool)
    • Each pool will play one 4-race cup, with the top 2 teams advancing to the next round
    • Once the final 8 teams are decided, they will participate in an 8-race cup, with point totals deciding the top 8 finishers

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    Gears of War
    When: Sunday, 11:00am~2:00pm
    Format: 4 vs 4, single elimination
    Player Cap: 64 teams (256 players)

Rules
    Warzone
    Rounds: 5
    Bleedout duration: 20 seconds
    Round Duration: 5 minutes
    Friendly Fire: On

Crab Walking is not allowed. Use of this and other major glitches may result in immediate disqualification from the tournament.

Maps:
    Default only (no map packs)
    Each stage of the bracket is played on a new map in the following order: Canals, War Machine, Fuel Depot, Gridlock, Mansion, Clocktower
    Both teams may agree on any default map if they wish to do so

Format
    • Players will be divided into 8 pools, each containing up to 8 teams (32 players per pool)
    • The final 8 teams will be reseeded into a new single elimination bracket

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    FAQ:
    This post will be used to answer popular questions.

Do you know anything about handheld events?
    No, so stop asking already!

When will rules for (insert game) be finished?
    This depends on the game. GH2 rules will probably be similar to last year, although I strongly encourage everyone to give feedback regarding the '06 tournament. Gears and Rainbow Six could take a while, but I will do everything I can to finish up by summer.

Where's Halo?
    This is something of a transition year as far as systems are concerned. While we aren't adding the PS3 and Wii until '08, there were a ton of choices on 360 and we decided to experiment. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough room for Halo, but rest assured that it will return next year when our next-gen choices have balanced out.

Why no items for Smash Bros.?
    Items have always been a bit of a headache, and given how many competitive Smash players actually show up to PAX, I've decided that switching them off makes things much easier. If you're a casual player, don't worry, you'll still have a good time. There have always been concerns regarding item and stage restrictions, but once the tournament actually began, both average and hardcore players alike forgot about it and just had fun. Keep in mind that I do not plan on using the same rules for Brawl, as it is a brand new game and will be evaluated on its own.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    Thread opened for questions and comments.

DO NOT FLAME!!! Posts that are blatantly off-topic and non-constructive will be deleted, without exception. This also applies to any jokes that are painfully unfunny.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jamaican me crazy!

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    Guitar Hero 2 Teams could have been replaced by Halo 2. Oh well, I guess we have to go organize unofficial Halo 2 LANs/tourneys now.

FyreWulff on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Guitar Hero 2 Teams could have been replaced by Halo 2. Oh well, I guess we have to go organize unofficial Halo 2 LANs/tourneys now.

No, cause a GH2 team tourney is going to be pure awesomesauce.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Mo1sonMo1son Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know about Guitar Hero.. the tournament last year was great! you guys did an awesome job. Aside from having to reset the systems, everything else was nice. Since that's fixed now.. yeah. I dunno, maybe discourage bad people from joining, since the guy I knocked out in the first round last year had some pretty choice words for me.. hrm..

Mo1son on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

What're the chances of some hints at the Computer side of things?

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited April 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    BigRed wrote: »

What're the chances of some hints at the Computer side of things?

There is already a thread on that. Please keep this one related to the console tourneys.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=14422
    (only hints you people will get are in that thread, there are still many unannounced things)

BigRed on
  • Ezekiel Zelias ChaosEzekiel Zelias Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Huh? No fighting game tournament other than SSB:M?

Ezekiel Zelias Chaos on
    heh heh heh
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm curious...why were two seperate guitar hero 2 tournies selected? You can do teamplay in GH2 as much as you can in smash bros (2 on 2), or single player as much as you can in mario kart (1 player only to a kart). It seems like a spot is being completely wasted here by having 2 timeslots dedicated to GH2 instead of one and another game.

Why not throw in a 1 on 1 direct competition game like Fight Night: Round 3 (it's on the 360 so it goes with the next gen direction), or Virtua Fighter 5 (will be on 360 in...may? june?) which would also satisfy those looking for another fighter? I'd suggest something in the sport realm as well like team Wii Tennis, but you said no Wii or PS3 this year. :)

Polago on
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zig21 wrote: »
    GH2 rules will probably be similar to last year, although I strongly encourage everyone to give feedback regarding the '06 tournament.

What were the rules last year?

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
    edited April 2007
    Huh? No fighting game tournament other than SSB:M?

Afraid not. We thought about including Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, but the cost of acquiring enough PS3's was too high. Otherwise, fighting games just aren't very popular these days.
    PolaGo wrote: »
    I'm curious...why were two seperate guitar hero 2 tournies selected? You can do teamplay in GH2 as much as you can in smash bros (2 on 2), or single player as much as you can in mario kart (1 player only to a kart). It seems like a spot is being completely wasted here by having 2 timeslots dedicated to GH2 instead of one and another game.

Why not throw in a 1 on 1 direct competition game like Fight Night: Round 3 (it's on the 360 so it goes with the next gen direction), or Virtua Fighter 5 (will be on 360 in...may? june?) which would also satisfy those looking for another fighter? I'd suggest something in the sport realm as well like team Wii Tennis, but you said no Wii or PS3 this year.

Like I said, we're experimenting. Also, games like Fight Night aren't popular among PAX attendees, and VF5 probably won't be out on 360 until August at the earliest. Besides, nobody plays VF in the States.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    so far, the only thing i'm really down for is gh2

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • GrahamulaxGrahamulax __BANNED USERS new member
    edited April 2007
    Oh snap... Melee only 1vs1 this year? This will be a lot more epic... Hopefully everything will go a lot smoother too :)

Grahamulax on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm an enforcer this year, Will I be able to participate in the Smash Bros. tournament?

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited April 2007
    As long as it doesnt conflict with your assigned enforcer work shifts.

BigRed on
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    May be fun to play in the SSBM tournament to see how bad I actually am!

Unless, of course, I'd have to pay something to enter...

Pinfeldorf on
    edited April 2007
    You do not have to pay to enter tournaments once you pay to get into pax :P

BigRed on
    edited April 2007
    GH2 rules coming soon.......maybe.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited April 2007
    Posted initial rules for Guitar Hero 2 Singles and Teams.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are there any plans for doubles in Smash Bros. this year, or is it just singles?

Squidget0 on
    edited May 2007
    Smash is singles only. Doubles tournament didn't really work out as well as I'd hoped.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    wow, was expecting there to be a halo 2 tourny as well. It IS still a huge game

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
  • JumpfreakJumpfreak Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pretty good chance that I'll win the melee tournament with flying colors...

...not to toot my own horn or anything :lol:

Jumpfreak on
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Good idea on the hard / expert option for Guitar Hero 2, I think that'll broaden the competition somewhat. Are you planning on using the Playstation 2 version or the 360 version?

Thello on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zig21 wrote: »
    Schedule
    Friday, August 24th
    9:00pm~12:00am -- Guitar Hero 2 Teams (360)

Saturday, August 25th
    3:00pm~6:00pm -- Guitar Hero 2 Singles (360)

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2007
    Posted initial rules for Gears of War.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So there aren't any fighting games besides Smash? I don't care too much, just curious.

TrainwreckX on
    edited June 2007
    Nope.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited June 2007
    That's a bit of a surprise coming from you, Zig :)

Is it just a matter of time and stuff?

TrainwreckX on
    edited June 2007
    That and the genre's lack of popularity in the US. Plus there aren't any new fighters worth adding. The one exception is Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, but acquiring enough PS3s would cost a fortune and I just don't have the time to sell Khoo's organs.

Zig21 on
    Born to Duck
    edited June 2007
    Not to mention you would be doubling the total sales of ps3 in the US.

TrainwreckX on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not to mention you would be doubling the total sales of ps3 in the US.

Somewhere out there a Sony exec is crying...

Sorta makes you feel all good and warm inside but for all the wrong reasons

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • MLORDMLORD Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So just curious are there any updated rules for rainbow six? Im interested in rainbow six vegas and the gears tournaments but unsure if I want to enter (or attempt to enter lol) depending on the rules. Thanks again for the good work you all do and hope to hear a response soon
    Mike

MLORD on
    M.LORD
    Staticwave Entertainment
    AIM DJMLORD2001
This discussion has been closed.