As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Potential Game On] Heroclix anyone?

BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Graphic Violence
I posted in the Ask Whippy thread and actually got the go ahead to create a Heroclix thread.

What is Heroclix?

It's a minatures game with little work involved by Wizkids. They're usually based off of Marvel and DC properties, hence the Hero, and operate on a dial much like the old Mage Knight game by the same company which lends to the clicking so aptly mentioned.

DC and Marvel both just had sets come out. DC has Origins which introduces a Golden Age Bats, Supes, Martian Manhunter, as well as the Question and the new Blue Beetle. Marvel's new set is Supernova and it focuses more on the cosmic characters within the Marvel Universe as well as getting a new Captain Mar-Vell out there.

In addition to the actual tabletop game which I've been playing on and off for about three years now, there's an online form of it developed by hardcore fans. It can be found here with the latest updates and a plethora of maps. If anyone's willing to play a game, just message me on AIM or Yahoo or PM me I suppose.

Here's hoping this thread lasts more than a day.

steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
BornToHula on

• TyphusTyphus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd be interested in playing, but where are the rules? Is it one of those, "you need to own the official rulebook" type thingies or is it included in the download which I'm doing now?

Oh, I found the Rules they can be found here

Typhus on
  • ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd totally be up for this, if only because I've lagged off in collecting real HeroClix figures, due to being poor. :p

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    The official rules are pretty much always up for download at the wizkids website. Along with pictures and stats for every figure and card in the game, as far as I know.

DJ Eebs on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have exactly 2 Heroclix- Statesman and Ghost Widow, and they came with my COH/COV games.

I have no truck with pre-painted minis. They're for lazy bones. I suck at painting, too.

Tach on
  • BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tach wrote: »
    I have exactly 2 Heroclix- Statesman and Ghost Widow, and they came with my COH/COV games.

I have no truck with pre-painted minis. They're for lazy bones. I suck at painting, too.

Painting is awesome, but I'd hate painting the 200 some odd I have.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    When I did play, it was fun. When they bumped the prices up to $8 per 3-4 figure box, it wasn't fun. Also, I was discouraged by the people I played with, my friend and I would always make some sort of theme team regardless of how shitty it may have been whereas everyone else just kept picking the same Stealth/RCE/Outwit teams. Not to mention that fucking everyone used Ares and Black Adam.

Fun game though.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
    edited April 2007
    I love theme teams myself, sometimes I luck out and actually make ones that are really damn useful.

For the most part, at tournament level games, everyone always uses the cheapest units that do the most damage with whatever ability and have dozens of counters for it. It's like playing a high level fighting game eventually just because everyone uses the same team and same strategy.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    One time when I was in a sealed tournament I pulled an Experienced Firelord. I felt like such a douchebag.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
    edited April 2007
    So is anyone actually up for a game sometime tomorrow? I'll even go to the hassle of making a Hamachi network and all that jazz.

I'd just really like to play a game against a crowd that doesn't use the same pieces over and over again.

It'd be nice at least. Just let me know if you're interested in one of the typical means of contact. I gotta make sure to add my other contact stuff to my profile.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My favorite team I ever made was the "Blue Man Group" which consisted of Nightcrawler, Beast, Mystique, Iceman, Shield Medic and Destiny (the latter two were wearing blue as opposed to actually being blue).

That was such a fun team.

DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I'll admit, I'm like, utterly inexperienced, but I'd totally be up for some gamings of ons. I even made myself a fun little 300 point team of Iron Man and some SHIELD lackeys.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Chrono PaladinChrono Paladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My brother got me a box of Marvel ones for my birthday a few years ago...
    I never got around to playing it, since nobody wanted to play with me (Aww...).

In any case, my Wolverine's arm broke off.
    That just oozes with irony.

Chrono Paladin on
    edited April 2007
    Man, the Team Builder alone is insomnia fueled fun. I just made a team for Iron Man, Director of SHIELD. It's basically just Veteran Iron Man and some SHIELD medics and troopers. It's an exactly 300 point team too.

Now... hmm, I think I'll make some sort of Batman villain team. I never did get any of the actual DC HeroClix figures.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm actually one of the judges at the LCS I shop at. Been playing for years.

Algertman on
    edited April 2007
    That's pretty awesome.

Let me think, I've got Tuesday open as far as I can tell. I'm open for a game then if anyone wants to.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

edited April 2007
    Tuesday is good for me too, except for 9-10pm eastern, when I watch House. Hmm, we could even have an IRC channel or something set up. Or can you chat on Hamachi? I've never used it.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
    edited April 2007
    Well, if everyone has AIM or something that'd be nice. I can set up as such that I can just make a chatroom for all those involved. I haven't used IRC in so long that I wouldn't know the first thing about setting up a channel for us PA Clix players.

I'm going to check the client program in a few minutes to see if there's any possible way for us to use Horrorclix as well. Because if all goes well I'd like to make this at least a weekly thing and do some scenarios and such.

Some ideas:

JLA vs. Avengers: Come on, it's the age old question that's been done a thousand times. I'm thinking newly formed JLA vs something like the New Avengers or even the Mighty Avengers.

Civil War: Take some anti-reg heroes and some pro-reg heroes, keep it within 400 points and we're good.

Infinite Crisis: Alright, one player plays as like Kingdom Come Supes, and we'll call this dude Superboy Prime. Then we pit him against a few teams. Like the core seven League members or the Titans and see if we can hold our own.

Any other ideas would be awesome.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2007
    Some older inQuests had campaign ideas for Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet

And I don't think HorrorClix would work in the client. I mean, they use the same to hit/damage thing, but the rest of the mechanics are pretty different. It's not something that's impossible to do, just very improbable for the thing you're talking about.

DJ Eebs on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd be down with doing this, though I haven't played HC in ages. I've pretty much forgotten everything.

Dex Dynamo on
    edited April 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    Some older inQuests had campaign ideas for Civil War and Infinity Gauntlet

And I don't think HorrorClix would work in the client. I mean, they use the same to hit/damage thing, but the rest of the mechanics are pretty different. It's not something that's impossible to do, just very improbable for the thing you're talking about.

Yeah, I found this out late last night when I was looking through a buddy's Cloaking Predator. They don't take push damage.

There's a way to integrate the game so you can do crossover matches in real life, but I don't think the HCOL client will actually allow for it. Mainly because there are a few modifications to the rule for the Heroclix themselves.

Worth a shot still.

I'm going to think on scenarios later on.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, I realize this thread is a 2.5 years old, but it still works, so why waste space with a new one?

Anyways, I saw on my LCS website that they are starting to do monthly Heroclix tournaments. I'm going to ask more about it when I go in on Thursday to pick up my new books, but it looks like a lot of fun. I haven't played any good tabletop games since moving to South Carolina - the scene is totally dead around here. So what's a good way to get started with Heroclix, and are there any good fansites or online resources for the game? I see thousands of Heroclix for sale on Ebay - am I better off buying a few lots of those, or one of the pre-arranged starter packs?

Anybody here still playing online games?

Hensler on
  • DoctorstrongbadDoctorstrongbad Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Would this be a game over the computer or IRL ?

Doctorstrongbad on