As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Army of Two: 40th Day (When is it NOT appropriate to fist pound?)

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kid reminds me of Short Round.

"No time for love Dr. Jones!"

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    I will be getting this on 360, I will play with anyone who wants to save the asian kid.

I'm down for that

[tiny]if by save you mean get him killed and then fist-pound[/tiny]
    Nocren wrote: »
    Hensler, are you talking PS3 or 360? Cause I finished it on PS3, but my roommate has it on 360.

Also want to know this, I could go for another playthrough. Have the PS3 version myself.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    So I bought the original Army of Two for $10, since I think the sequel looks like it will be a lot of fun. Only to find out that my brother, who raved about the game, doesn't have it anymore, so I don't have anybody to play co-op with. Anybody want to get a game going sometime?

get your brother to pick up another copy of it and play it with you. i mean $10 is barely more than a rental.

Ah_Pook on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    I will be getting this on 360, I will play with anyone who wants to save the asian kid.

I'm down for that

[tiny]if by save you mean get him killed and then fist-pound[/tiny]
    *fist-pound*

Hoz on
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    Hensler, are you talking PS3 or 360? Cause I finished it on PS3, but my roommate has it on 360.

Also want to know this, I could go for another playthrough. Have the PS3 version myself.[/QUOTE]

For some reason I can't stop enjoying this game.

I'd play through it again. PSN ID is Hoofbeat.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Firefight/Horde multiplayer mode for Army of Two: 40th Day is a 30 day exclusive for people that pre-order from Gamestop. It sounds like the stupidest pre-order bonus yet. Instead of making me want to preorder this game, having major content like that held back actually makes me reconsider purchasing it all together. How many players are going to have moved onto new games before the 30 days have even passed?

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/2825/%5BUPDATED%5D_Army_of_Two_Extraction_Survival_Mode_Revealed.html

Hensler on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Exclusive preorder bonus: DO NOT FIST-POUND

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited October 2009
    What the fuck bro

Exclusive content?

Party foul

Someone get the paddles

PeregrineFalcon on
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    manwiththemachinegun on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know that I'm problably one of the very few to say it, but this is basically a day-one purchase for me. It just looks mighty good.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

God, I love blowing shit up.

I finished the first game twice now, once with the AI and the second (even more fun) time with a human partner. The new one seems to be shaping up good.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay, so this looks like the best place to ask, since there are some fans in here:

So last night, I was browsing the games marketplace on Live I saw this was a "game on demand" but when I entered into it to check the price, I saw there was a demo. So I downloaded it. Turns out, it's multiplayer only. No big deal, I'll just hop on and see if it matches me up with someone.

It did, but then it played a tutorial on the aggro system (I know how aggro works, I'm a WoW refugee), and I guess my partner got sick of waiting and he disconnected. So I spent the next 10 minutes waiting to see if I could get someone to join up. No dice.

So I turned on my second controller and tried to do this with two controllers. I really liked it, although it was hard to get very far easily. So after all that, here's my questions:

1. How the fuck do you do the "boost up" jump thing? I ran over, pressed A, and my other guy ran up and stood there. How do you boost up to a ledge? That's the point I turned the demo off, I couldn't figure that out for the life of me.

2. So why the hate for this game? Is it a bad game? It seems the large issues with the game are with the subject matter, really. Gamespot's review was pretty much just a "tsk tsk war is bad and you should trivialize it" while IGN was just like "meh it's a 3rd person shooter." I thought it looked and played (at least in the demo) great, even in co-op. As someone who loved R6: Vegas, I can see myself loving this, but I want to know what the "issues" are with the game. Are they technical? Or are people just that uptight?

3. Dumb question, but it needs to be asked: I am fortunate enough to own both a PS3 and 360; any preferred system, outside of which might have more people available to play? I have a Gold membership so online isn't an issue, but I'm wondering if either system offers any content/performance margins? I play on the same TV with both, except my PS3 is HDMI'ed and the 360 is component, but I get 1080p and 5.1 out of both.

Thanks guys. I get the feeling I may be picking this up (I think it's 20 bucks new at Best Buy), but I want some honest answers first.

DietarySupplement on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People are pretty uptight about it, it's honestly not a bad game. It's plagued by loading and has some occasional AI omniscience, but for what you'll find it for now it's a pretty fun co-op game.

Mechanical on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    2. Well, I played the game in coop with 12gauge on the highst difficulty level and we had a blast going through it and the free DLC. Before that we've finished R6: Vegas 2 (on Realistic), and while also great game, I think I had more fun with this one. Just find someone to play with and you're bound to have a good time.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • BalrogBalrog Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like to fistbump after we raise a door together or boost the other player onto a higher ledge. I fistbump after those quiet moments.

Balrog on
    LinkImage.png
    edited October 2009
    It's basically an 80s action movie set in modern times.

People who don't get that are retarded.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is a fist pound the same as a fist bump? I honestly need closure on this.

Delta Assault on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I had always worked under the assumption that a fist bump is when two fists meet horizontally, while a fist pound is when you meet vertically, and reciprocate the motion.

DietarySupplement on
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I had always worked under the assumption that a fist bump is when two fists meet horizontally, while a fist pound is when you meet vertically, and reciprocate the motion.

But in the PA comic, the fist pound seems to signify two fists meeting horizontally.

Delta Assault on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

But in the PA comic, the fist pound seems to signify two fists meeting horizontally.

Playing air guitar with your gun is better anyway.

Regarding people being uptight about the game - by the time you
    Try to escape an exploding aircraft carrier that you blew up with large bombs you push around first with only you body strength
    is should have been really obvious that is meant to be an 80s action movie in a modern setting rather than a realistic portrayal of PMC warfare.

Also (game ending spoiler)
    How did Clyde end up with the Joker face?

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
    edited October 2009
    If I remember right from Dirty Money, I think it was that Clyde dicked around in one mission between Somalia and Afghanistan and that was how Rios' face got fucked up. He had a miniature Heroic BSOD, and then returned the favor.

Best thing about that graphic novel, is the excellent expanded back stories, I hope they make it into the sequel.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited December 2009
    So, demo is up on Thursday.

Mechanical on
  • PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Salem Salem Saleeemmmm

Cover system is way better than Gears. Game rules. Sequel will rule harder.

day one regardless of shitty marketing scheme

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I am really hoping the demo includes some of the gun customization stuff. I'm mainly interested in seeing if you can do anything to pistols, because I have some sort of creepy gun-hardon for pistols and would likely end up carrying some goofy P228 body with a Desert Eagle slide monstrosity into every new level.

Trevor on
  • Missing a LeggMissing a Legg Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Army of Two was a guilty pleasure for me. I cant wait to try out the demo. I wonder if the parachute missions will be back? Two guys, one parachute...wait a tick.

Missing a Legg on
    GT:Missing a legg
    PSN:Missing_a_legg
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Loved Army Of Two, its underrated, at least in my group of friends, can't wait to play the demo for 2 :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Army of two is the one game I have played through with everyone of my friends, despite its flaws it has some really fun co-op gameplay.

Also, obligatory fist bump, ladies liftin' shirts, and Wu-tang or what have you

Jawa on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Demo is on the PSn and Live...but seems to be Co-Op only, no sp :(

Venkman90 on
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bought and liked the first game, except for the 'region-locked multiplayer' EA were experimenting with at the time (this was also in Mercs 2 but got patched out). I would just wait and see if they were foolish enough to repeat the practice in the sequel, but it looks like another wonderful little marketing practice is developing; multiplayer game modes only for pre-orders / special editions. If you're unaware the 'horde' mode in Army of Tutu is a pre-order bonus for the first month after release. That's not as bad as what I've read about the new Splinter Cell though, that the 'Infiltration' game-mode is a Special Edition exclusive.

I'm pretty keen on both games but I hate encouraging bull shit like this. I'd preorder Army of Two except it will have substantially less value to me if I can't play with my american buddies - of course that 'feature' is never going to be advertised anywhere pre-release. So I wait and miss out on the horde mode during the 'golden month' of multiplayer when you can get a game going every night before people move on to other games.

(And with regards to splinter cell it's a statuette style special edition, which tend to be a bit pricier still than the steel book & making-of dvd style ones which I am a sucker for.)

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
    edited December 2009
    Looks like I have a demo to download today.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just played the demo split screen with my cousin, its basically more of the same, I really don't like splitscreen anymore so It's kinds hard to give a proper opinion of this one, but pretty much if you enjoyed the 1st one your gonna like this.

Is the voice of bender no longer doing Rios? :(

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited December 2009
    I'd be playing this, expect for some reason my 360 has decided me and my friend don't want to play in the same game or be in the same party.

Fucking router.

Mechanical on
    edited December 2009
    Are there any PSN bros that I can fist-pound with tonight?

Once I wait the obligatory "fucking forever" for it to download/install. Think I need to format or replace my PS3's hard drive. :\

Or I can splitscreen it locally.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Alright, I'm currently downloading this. If any of you gentleman want to try it out right I'll likely be on Xbox Live for the next couple hours and you can send me an invite or whatnot and then I won't have to be randomly assigned to one of the unwashed masses.

Edit: So, this game is looking to be incredibly fun. The only downsides I can see is that it looks like there are only three pistols in the game and trying to find a public game to play without the person quitting after 30 seconds is impossible.

However, the game is good enough for me to slog through the demo with two controllers just so I can try it out so that's saying something.

Edit 2: Also, there appears to be an online mask customization thing like in Skate 2. That means you get to play with a co-op partner that has a penis on his face. This game is looking neater by the second.

Trevor on
  • JawaJawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just got the demo but now I have work in like 15 minutes.... Any body wanna play it later tonight?

Jawa on
    edited December 2009
    fuck, im excited about this game and this demo

Ah_Pook on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anyone up for the demo right now? Havn't done it yet and I'm not getting any randoms for some reason, can't do demo solo it seems either

360: Varxe

gunwarrior on
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I actually didn't mind what I will politely call the artistic vision of the mercenary lifestyle in the first game, what I minded was the obtrusive "teamwork" elements.

Like you're walking down a city street and whoa whoa, stop everybody, the only way to move forward in this part is for one teammate to boost the other teammate throw this hole in the ceiling and then the second guy can pull the first one up. There is nothing strategic or tactical to consider when doing this -- we didn't put a well-defended flight of stairs that you could be circumventing right now in, nor could you go around this building entirely because of our incredibly linear level design. We put this in to make you feel like a team. See, look at that teamwork. Synergy, baby. Fist pound.

Or you parachute through a canyon into this little camp and OH SHIT YOU'RE SURROUNDED. I know right now you're thinking, "oh noes, we should fight our way out of this untenable situation and displace to a better position," but that's because you're a pussy. No, we are going to force you to stand stock still in the middle of this centrifuge of death, and we will not allow you to move until we feel like you've had just enough to make you feel bored. But you're bored together! Together forever, baby. Fist pound.

SammyF on
    edited December 2009
    Ha, great prose.

Yeah, but that over the topness is what I enjoy about the series.

"BACK TO BACK SALEM LETS WASTE THESE MUTHAS!"

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited December 2009
    demo was ok. would have been better me and my friend didnt get disconnected in the later part of it twice. it doesnt save or anything, so we had to start all the way over and after the second time we were done.

plays pretty much exactly like the first one, though i dont remember the controls being as awkward in the first one. maybe im just misremembering though. i want to get fleur-de-lys "camo" for my guns pretty badly.

Ah_Pook on