As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] : Are you in the Alpha/Beta? Cause I'm not :(

• Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    all i really hope for is keeping the one character having every job and profession

I was reading the official site today. This is vaguely explained, or hinted at. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a feature of the game.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    all i really hope for is keeping the one character having every job and profession

While that was fun, I'm not sure if I can see them going that direction again. In FFXI, having to pay more for extra character slots was a bit of a bitch. It seems they're drifting in the direction of modern MMORPG's... and if so, they will likely have a number of slots available, making multiple characters more common. Maybe one slot per race?

Then again, multi-classing and secondary jobs is a FF staple, and will likely be in FFXIV. Hopefully. I just really don't want it to fall victim to cookie-cutter builds... in which you MUST have THIS or you are NOT getting an invite to our group.

Edit: Every time I say something about FFXI, I just remember every terrible thing about it. This needs to be an entirely new game with an FFXI spirit... no more. Ugh, the inventory... the EXP... the everything, it was just bad.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

This. And blink tanking. Please let there be blink tanking it was the most fun ever.

Blink tanking was cool but shadows ended up being required for too many things. You pretty much had to have ninja leveled to 37 no matter what job you played if you wanted to be prepared for any fight.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    you MUST have THIS or you are NOT getting an invite to our group.

I don't really see how/why they would really go away from this. I mean, groups need a tank/heals and the rest is fill in the blank. Hell, we cant have people just running around the world all willy-nilly beating shit up and actually living to tell about it.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Gahmrious wrote: »

I don't really see how/why they would really go away from this. I mean, groups need a tank/heals and the rest is fill in the blank. Hell, we cant have people just running around the world all willy-nilly beating shit up and actually living to tell about it.

I'm more referring to the elitists. It doesn't matter if you're a tank or a healer... but your tank better have these skills, this gear, and this sub-class... etc. A differentiation between American and Asian servers will also be helpful. Sure, it was fun using the translation feature, but it was also a pretty big barrier, and they play much different than we do in a lot of situations.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

This. And blink tanking. Please let there be blink tanking it was the most fun ever.

Blink tanking was cool but shadows ended up being required for too many things. You pretty much had to have ninja leveled to 37 no matter what job you played if you wanted to be prepared for any fight.

No kidding. What the hell was the point of playing Galka if it meant a pissant little Taru could tank too???

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I'm more referring to the elitists. It doesn't matter if you're a tank or a healer... but your tank better have these skills, this gear, and this sub-class... etc. A differentiation between American and Asian servers will also be helpful. Sure, it was fun using the translation feature, but it was also a pretty big barrier, and they play much different than we do in a lot of situations.

Calling people elitists in an mmo really annoys me. MMOs are a meritocracy! (not counting being rejected from a party because you aren't japanese) You can't blame someone for not taking your rag wearing dragoon/blm when he can get 5000 more xp an hour by taking a sam/war into his party. It's the system that's pushing you out of the party, not the player. Death sucks in FFXI, really bad. Not only do you take an xp hit out right but that's 5 minutes that your party has to wait around before you can start gaining it back.
    FFXI is just too harsh of a game for someone who's has the faintest interest in progressing to party up with every unique little snow flake.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Calling people elitists in an mmo really annoys me. MMOs are a meritocracy! (not counting being rejected from a party because you aren't japanese) You can't blame someone for not taking your rag wearing dragoon/blm when he can get 5000 more xp an hour by taking a sam/war into his party. It's the system that's pushing you out of the party, not the player. Death sucks in FFXI, really bad. Not only do you take an xp hit out right but that's 5 minutes that your party has to wait around before you can start gaining it back.
    FFXI is just too harsh of a game for someone who's has the faintest interest in progressing to party up with every unique little snow flake.

I think the fact that parties/groups were essentially required after level 10 is what did it for me. Groups became very picky, and didn't allow you to be very unique in your class choice. I understand wanting the best for your group, but if you have to narrow yourself down to a play style that you don't really enjoy, just to get invites, that's not fun anymore.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

It's this sick and twisted abuse...... I mean fun, that I enjoyed.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    FFXI is the hot dominatrix of MMOs

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I think the fact that parties/groups were essentially required after level 10 is what did it for me. Groups became very picky, and didn't allow you to be very unique in your class choice. I understand wanting the best for your group, but if you have to narrow yourself down to a play style that you don't really enjoy, just to get invites, that's not fun anymore.

Why did you bother playing stuff you didn't enjoy. People didn't accept stupid job/subjobs because it didn't work. Plain and simple. If you had an idea then it should have been tested/refined with your LS. Meh

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I don't get this whole desire to be unique and special while leveling. You're warrior/summoner sucks for partying, plain and simple. Switch to /nin while you party and be a /summoner when you're 75, discover that it's terrible with your own time and lost xp. The job system allows for you to switch your job based on your current needs, you won't be stuck as a /ninja so why stress about it?

TheStig on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There was a lot of cool stuff about FFXI...maybe I just look at it through rose-colored glasses because I like FF and it was the first MMO I ever really played (I played a bit of everquest before FFXI but never really got into it). All the downtime actually made for more socializing I found.

I still remember making the run to Jeuno for the first time, having to cringe through like three big zones full of stuff that could one-shot me. I died literally within sight of the Jueno gates, and no one got a rez spell until higher levels. Some japanese player in the 40s happened to be leaving at the time and rezzed me, he even ditched his chocobo to do it.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah, I don't get this whole desire to be unique and special while leveling. You're warrior/summoner sucks for partying, plain and simple. Switch to /nin while you party and be a /summoner when you're 75, discover that it's terrible with your own time and lost xp. The job system allows for you to switch your job based on your current needs, you won't be stuck as a /ninja so why stress about it?

I guess the point is that since you can be a war/sum, it'd be nice if it worked as well as war/nin does and not have to discover that it's terrible.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    reVerse wrote: »

I guess the point is that since you can be a war/sum, it'd be nice if it worked as well as war/nin does and not have to discover that it's terrible.

Balancing 380 possible job combination might be a little tough. Some things just weren't meant to be.
    You have the option of stupid things like /smn because there are actually some minor uses for it.
    Like if there is a quest that involves killing a monster and you don't want to clear out the area, you could have one person go smn, or /smn and carbuncle pull the monster, resulting in a link free pull.
    And then there's jobs like red mage that have more practical uses for just about every sub class in the game. Players often think of things that the devs never would/could so it's best for them to simply not limit our options and hope that everyone understands that not every possible combination will be great for a standard build XP party.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I solved the "do you have a fansite" question by adding FF to my list of interests on facebook. Now, strictly speaking, I have a FF fansite.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, but seriously it was often worse than this. The elitism sometimes got so bad that people refused to party with PLD/WARs because they couldn't blink tank (never mind that they were a superior tank up to level 74).

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Yeah, but seriously it was often worse than this. The elitism sometimes got so bad that people refused to party with PLD/WARs because they couldn't blink tank (never mind that they were a superior tank up to level 74).

Well that's just people being stupid, pld/nin is only ideal for HNM. They probably read on the BG forums that pld/nin was the best and didn't continue on to read what they were the best for. A pld/nin in a party situation won't be able to grab hate fast enough, the DD will take too much damage and then the healer will die from over curing.

Now if FFXIV could find a way to keep people from acting like idiots it would be the best mmo ever.

TheStig on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I guess that's what I was driving at. Most elitists were stupid. People who claimed that NIN/WAR was superior to PLD/WAR in the dunes for example and refused to party with you. Yeah, so then you spent your evening staring at that exclamation point by your name wondering if you should quickly go level NIN so you can get a party with an idiot.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    shit that's why I always rolled whm. weather i was smn/whm or whm/smn or what tthe fuck ever i was let in.

but i quit before 40 which is right before whm gets replaced with rdm :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TreTre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SE has stated for FFXIV that they would be bringing back the ability for players to be every job on one character. In fact, I'm quite sure that's one of the main features of the game (i.e. changing what weapon/armor you have equipped changes your job). Supposedly, you'll be able to change jobs in the field freely. This is great news in my opinion because I hate having to create alts just to try out another job. I don't think they've said whether sub jobs would be back in some form or not.

What I find interesting is what normally are considered to be craft skills are now being considered jobs as well. I could see the usefulness of having a party with a blacksmith or tanner considering SE has said weapons and armor will need to be repaired, but I don't know how a gardener is going to make a significant contribution the party.

Tre on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Sam was Frodo's gardener.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The best dunes tank is whm, well, that's who ends up tanking anyway :P

Things like the Dunes are what I hope they fix in FFXIV. Anyone who played XI could have told you the dunes was a terrible place and yet they never really fixed it, and even made it worse it a way.
    Other than kuftal which could really only support 1 part it was the only place to level from 10-20, for a full size party, but it was just horrible for a beginner zone. If you entered in from the north you had to dodge goblins all the way to town to set your homepoint there, if you came from the south you likely had to pass through a cave with unavoidable bats that can kill anyone that should be partying there at that level. The place was entirely newbie unfriendly, full of roaming goblins that could wipe a party. And up until recently you couldn't change your job there so the only hope of resurrection was a higher level that was passing by.

I'm sure that zone alone turned off a ton of players who never returned to try the game again. SE's just barely added nomad moogles to it but before that they added even more party destroying goblins, what the hell? They could have easily made that place much more newbie friendly just by changing around a few monster spawns/types of monsters.

Here's a list of monsters in the area:
    Lizards: the most friendly of them all, though they only last you until about level 13.
    Crabs: not too dangerous but have high def, making some classes like thief hit for 0 damage and making fights drag on. Such an exciting introduction to partying for new players
    goblins: roving aggro machines of party wipe
    pugils: good xp, not tough to kill but have an attack that can 1 shot your tank, remember, no raise until lvl25
    Flys: horrible downtime causing aoe and poison in a game with 20 jobs and only 1 of them can cure poison at this level.
    bats: they guard choke points and murder anyone below lvl18, why are they blocking the path to town in the newbie leveling zone?
    night time: horrible, horrible undead

So, nearly everyone's first partying experience in a game where partying was required was almost guaranteed to be horrible. And SE never realized this or fixed it, I really hope their policy changes with FFXIV.

edit: man what a rant, look at what this game did to me. :P

TheStig on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    /nin has nothing of value to offer less than level 24. People need to use some critical thinking skills, I swear.
    reVerse wrote: »
    Sam was Frodo's gardener.

Oh snap!

So tell us about your mother... and what do you see in this ink blot? :P

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Things like the Dunes are what I hope they fix in FFXIV. Anyone who played XI could have told you the dunes was a terrible place and yet they never really fixed it, and even made it worse it a way.
    Other than kuftal which could really only support 1 part it was the only place to level from 10-20, for a full size party, but it was just horrible for a beginner zone. If you entered in from the north you had to dodge goblins all the way to town to set your homepoint there, if you came from the south you likely had to pass through a cave with unavoidable bats that can kill anyone that should be partying there at that level. The place was entirely newbie unfriendly, full of roaming goblins that could wipe a party. And up until recently you couldn't change your job there so the only hope of resurrection was a higher level that was passing by.

I'm sure that zone alone turned off a ton of players who never returned to try the game again. SE's just barely added nomad moogles to it but before that they added even more party destroying goblins, what the hell? They could have easily made that place much more newbie friendly just by changing around a few monster spawns/types of monsters.

Lizards: the most friendly of them all, though they only last you until about level 13.
    Crabs: not too dangerous but have high def, making some classes like thief hit for 0 damage and making fights drag on. Such an exciting introduction to partying for new players
    pugils: good xp, not tough to kill but have an attack that can 1 shot your tank, remember, no raise until lvl25
    Flys: horrible downtime causing aoe and poison in a game with 20 jobs and only 1 of them can cure poison at this level.
    bats: they guard choke points and murder anyone below lvl18, why are they blocking the path to town in the newbie leveling zone?

So, nearly everyone's first partying experience in a game where partying was required was almost guaranteed to be horrible. And SE never realized this or fixed it, I really hope their policy changes with FFXIV.

To be fair, I do believe they added a Moogle in Selbina. That took some of the pain away since at the time they did it, chances were someone in your party had a job that could raise. They were about 6 years too late on that one though.

Sometimes I would go to Dunes parties and pretend to be a newb just to see how badly the party could fuck up. Good times.

I thought Sam was just Frodo's butt buddy?

Tre on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

i agree, fuck the dunes.

i hope that the FIRST ZONE YOU PARTY IN doesn't require high lvl toons to run around saving lowbie asses all day.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i enjoyed the dunes

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Wait, so there's no EXP or levelling in FFXIV, but instead "Freedom to grow naturally"? That's what I'm reading... So that may help explain the professions being classes. You're not joining a party as a Blacksmith or Gardener, but you switch to those when you need to perform their tasks as a trade..

http://gamerblips.dailyradar.com/story/wada-ffxiv-to-rival-warcraft/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/no-experience-levelling-in-ffxiv
    http://www.massively.com/2009/08/04/no-experience-no-levels-in-final-fantasy-xiv/

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i enjoyed the dunes

Me too. I enjoyed them as much as I enjoy hammering my dick against a brick wall.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Tre wrote: »
    SE has stated for FFXIV that they would be bringing back the ability for players to be every job on one character. In fact, I'm quite sure that's one of the main features of the game (i.e. changing what weapon/armor you have equipped changes your job). Supposedly, you'll be able to change jobs in the field freely. This is great news in my opinion because I hate having to create alts just to try out another job. I don't think they've said whether sub jobs would be back in some form or not. What I find interesting is what normally are considered to be craft skills are now being considered jobs as well. I could see the usefulness of having a party with a blacksmith or tanner consider SE has said weapons and armor will need to be repaired, but I don't know how a gardener is going to make a significant contribution the party.

Well there was that odin sphere game. Where you had to plant crap for buffs.

Maybe, I dunno; the gardener is like an alchemist. Plants buffs, heals whatever.

I suspect some people here will find out before too terribly long.

It'll be pretty funny when the XIV beta ends up starting at the same time as XIII is released.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited December 2009
    1UP wrote:
    The game features a reinvented character progression system which does not include experience points or leveling up. The job system from XI will make an appearance, but in a heavily altered form -- an interview with the game's director, Nobuaki Komoto, revealed that the game will place a focus on the weapons players use, explaining that your armaments will determine "the way you play" and "the way you grow." Sounds reminiscent of Final Fantasy IX.

Are there currently any other games that have "no exp" and "no levelling" as a feature? I'm curious how this is going to work with progression. Wouldn't be surprised if it was through micro-transactions XD
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Group play has been de-emphasized, and now solo and group play have been balanced.[3] Weapon use will alter "character development

I really should research more before I say things in here. Good to see solo-play is balanced. Still hope to see a true "Red Mage" class, as they are and always will be the best class of the MMO world.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

AHAHAHAHA.

Yeah, but seriously, the dunez sucked.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    1UP wrote:
    The game features a reinvented character progression system which does not include experience points or leveling up. The job system from XI will make an appearance, but in a heavily altered form -- an interview with the game's director, Nobuaki Komoto, revealed that the game will place a focus on the weapons players use, explaining that your armaments will determine "the way you play" and "the way you grow." Sounds reminiscent of Final Fantasy IX.

Are there currently any other games that have "no exp" and "no levelling" as a feature? I'm curious how this is going to work with progression. Wouldn't be surprised if it was through micro-transactions XD
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Group play has been de-emphasized, and now solo and group play have been balanced.[3] Weapon use will alter "character development

I really should research more before I say things in here. Good to see solo-play is balanced. Still hope to see a true "Red Mage" class, as they are and always will be the best class of the MMO world.

Its a specialization thing. if you wanna be a warrior, equip your sword and armor. Lancer? Throw on the polearm.

What "job" you are (they call them classes now though) depends on what you have equipped as a weapon (or tool). This is the premise behind the entire Armoury system.

If I grew up in medieval times with a sword, of course I'd make a good warrior. But then 40 years (levels) later, give me a bow (edit: whoops, it said boy, thats not a good typo!) and arrow, and I have to start (learning) all over again. Thats how it works.

You level up skills and proficiencies, not your level. Essentially, though, your skills/proficiencies ARE your level.

Topia on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Topia wrote: »
    1UP wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

Its a specialization thing. if you wanna be a warrior, equip your sword and armor. Lancer? Throw on the polearm.

What "job" you are (they call them classes now though) depends on what you have equipped as a weapon (or tool). This is the premise behind the entire Armoury system.

If I grew up in medieval times with a sword, of course I'd make a good warrior. But then 40 years (levels) later, give me a boy and arrow, and I have to start all over again. Thats how it works.

You level up skills and proficiencies, not your level. Essentially, though, your skills/proficiencies ARE your level.

If it really works like that, it's gonna be the best system ever.

edit: Of course, you still have to grind mindlessly to level up your jobs, but, eh. I like having one character who can do all manner of things, not multiple alts for different things.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

I just assume that your character won't level up in the traditional MMO sense. Rather, you will "level up" your skill with a weapon (or tool). You will become the most proficient with the weapons you use the most obviously. So basically, FFXIV will be one long skillup party :lol:.

Edit: Beat'd + terrible totp

Tre on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Are there currently any other games that have "no exp" and "no levelling" as a feature? I'm curious how this is going to work with progression. Wouldn't be surprised if it was through micro-transactions XD.
    Ultime Online, one of the more popular titles of MMO's history. No levels. You level up skills, not levels.

Since I guess here you equip weapons to change jobs, then I bet you're still leveling up jobs, but they'll be treated as no level and leveling up skills.

So you'll still probably be a lvl 20 sword (aka war) and lvl 10 katana (aka ninja)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Seems like almost just a semantic difference though.

I kind of want them to call them jobs too, for nostalgia's sake

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Seems like almost just a semantic difference though.

I kind of want them to call them jobs too, for nostalgia's sake

I assume a huge chunk of players will call them jobs, anyway.

Topia on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a little dissapointed that the races have the same appearance, but little details like noting the Galka-equivilants as specifically maritime creatures and not, like, a subjugated slave race, does infuse the setting with a different flavor. It's too early to say now, but I have hope that this game will prove to be sufficiently different from FFXI in terms of lore and feel.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    tetsuoZshimatetsuoZshima Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

people really only should have had the travel issue with their first job; I'm not sure why people were so lazy and never completed the OP quests that let you teleport all over the damn game, including like 3 feet outside selbina.

Aside from that, the Buruburu pennisula was the dunes more friendly twin. More crabs, dahmels, goblins and pugils, and more friendly camp spots -- during the same 10-20 stretch most ppl do in the dunes. If you were from Windy, especially, there was no reason to party in the dunes. Of course, people did, because they are stupid. But that isn't SE's fault. BTW, antidotes have never been expensive -- again, people just being lazy with not being able to cure poison. That is my issue. Not the game, a large portion of the people. REALIZE you are going to a PARTY and stop thinking about YOURSELF. If you're party lacks cures, or poisona, or whatever, you can a) find another, b) make your own, or c) ADAPT and bring what you need to survive.

I LOVE the fact that the game is so damn hard. I like the books they added that made it easy mode, I like the removal of so many RPK methods etc. I'm not sadistic, but I WANTED (and got!) a game that would last me years. I don't want to start FFXIV and be high level in a week. I understand that's exactly what many people want, and that's probably what will drive me away from it, but oh well.

I've been playing FFXI for 5 years, and I still log in regularly. Not as much as I once did, but that goes for everything. Lately I've just been soloing crap on Sch (<3 that job); but I enjoyed partying also. I've played the hell out of this game, and have the Herald's Gaiters and Novio to prove it; so I wouldn't mind something new... but I just don't want what the public wants, I suppose.

tetsuoZshima on
This discussion has been closed.