As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Program to create 2d gaming retro art?

NiklasNiklas SwedenRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
At the moment I am doing something very silly. I'm writing a roleplaying game called Platform Hero. It's a 2D, pen and paper RPG simulating the golden age of platform gaming. I would like the rules to be heavily illustrated with examples of gaming, and I want the illustrations to look like old platform games like Super Mario and Wonderboy.

Also, I want the adventures graphically represented in a suitable style.

The problem is, I have no idea how to create art like that. I'm fairly artistic, but this is a technique I have no idea about what so ever, So, I was wondering if there is a program out there who helps you create this retro goodness? I guess it would also be sufficient with some kind of map editor for platform games. I could use it and take screenshots in that case.

Thanks in advance

Niklas on

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Like... pixel art? You could do that in Paint. Just Google along the lines of sprite making, pixel art, etc.

Also, you broke the cardinal rule of the AC - only create a new thread if you are posting art - this belongs in the Questions thread.

nakirush on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    nakirush wrote: »
    Also, you broke the cardinal rule of the AC - only create a new thread if you are posting art - this belongs in the Questions thread.

Oops, sorry. I shall post a picture of a cave then!

grotta.jpg

Niklas on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sounds like a fun project.

I would use photoshop over paint for pixel arting. The pencil tool with square brushes should do you right. The pencil has no anti-aliasing. Under edit>preferences>general change Image interpolation to Nearest Neighbor when you're doing any pixel art. This will let you use the transformation tools fairly well and without any anti-aliasing.

Keep in mind that old school gaming machines limited the color palette for sprites and backgrounds. It will have more of an old school feel if you do the same.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Paint your picture like normal in photoshop. Say 8x10 250dpi or whatever the fuck resolution you want.

Once finished, resize the picture to what is needed ingame. Like 100x100 pixels. Go to image -> image size to do this. In that box there will be something that says "Resample Image" Change it to bicubic or whatever it is at to nearest neighbor.

Experiment with that and you will get what you want.

resampled.jpg

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Yeah photoshop it.

I've used paint and a mac program called pixen to create pixel art with some success. Pixen is great.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wakka, you should make a female brawler game art that turns out like that.

I'd play it.

@OP: It seems like it might be an instant fail if you fail the trap or jump down the hole. If I were you, i'd correct this since many players would get frustrated by something like that so early on.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You should look into emulating the b&w illustrations that accompanied NES-era games, really. Check this site for manual scans, in particular Super Mario Bros or Bubble Bobble, or really any platformer.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Deluxe Paint for the amiga was the business for this. They were all these techniques that would take ages to recreate even with photoshop.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're going to go wakka's route then you can also try indexed color. Image>mode>indexed color. Select something like Local selective with 8-12 colors and do a forced custom palette. Set dither to pattern.

pixellady.gif

look, old school.

Skelly B on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wakkawa: that looks great, thanks for your advice.

Thanks everyone and sorry for breaking a cardinal rule. I feel like a total wanker for not reading up on the rules and I won't do it again.

Niklas on